• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

Yawnny

Wish list:

- Don't look like shit when upscaled on a 4K TV
- Please, oh please have a better soundtrack
- Fix input lag issues from X
-
Don't make final battle a mech battle when you've spent the whole game leveling up your soldier level then can't quit because you've already accepted the mission thus stuck solo leveling until you inevitably quit the game out of boredom.

Wish list:

- Don't look like shit when upscaled on a 4K TV
- Please, oh please have a better soundtrack
- Fix input lag issues from X
-
Don't make final battle a mech battle when you've spent the whole game leveling up your soldier level then can't quit because you've already accepted the mission thus stuck solo leveling until you inevitably quit the game out of boredom.

what does the last part mean?

Xenoblade without a God Mech at the end?

I didn't know this. Someone, do tell.

EDIT: Perhaps at the risk of derailing the thread. Top of page :p

The final game was released in June of 2010, but here's a video that was released in June of 2009.

what does the last part mean?

Xenoblade without a God Mech at the end?

I'm assuming it was a reference to X, but it seems to be reversed because X's final battle required you to be on foot instead of in your mech.

DMiz

How in the hell did they manage to make such an improvement in less than a year? I was one of those guys who actually liked the look before, but the difference of expression and art direction now is worlds apart

I feel like Monolith has earned a lot of credibility within Nintendo itself, considering how it continues to offer its developers to other teams to work out production issues. They are clearly a much improved company following its Namco-Bandai days and has proven itself to be a strong development and production partner.

You know, I really like the character designs for this game. Especially Pyra. But I can't help but be salty that Monolithsoft's first real "cel-shaded" game doesn't have Kunihiko Tanaka's character designs for the main characters. Maybe because I've just always wanted to see his style envisioned in 3D properly for once. >.<;

The improvements from the original reveal to now are great too. Can't wait to pick up this game in December, hopefully alongside a Switch.

I feel like Tanaka's artwork is one of those styles that will always have some difficulty in being translated into a 3D character model. If for no other reasons other than because I don't think it 'works' at all camera angles.

I think the current style that they've gone with is perhaps easier to translate, or perhaps more 'mainstream' in such a way that Monolith was able to hire modellers that were more familiar with translating it into a model that is more closely representative to the one that is shown.

I mean they completely changed a few character designs within the final year of Xenoblade 1's development

I would really love to hear more about this -- if anybody could provide some evidence or articles (or even better, actual evidence of concept art), I would love to see this. I would suspect that the characters who probably went through the most redesign would be Melia and Fiora; Shulk and Reyn's designs both seem so stock-standard that I don't think there would have been much room for iteration, unless they decided to go in a wild different direction at first.

I would really love to hear more about this -- if anybody could provide some evidence or articles (or even better, actual evidence of concept art), I would love to see this. I would suspect that the characters who probably went through the most redesign would be Melia and Fiora; Shulk and Reyn's designs both seem so stock-standard that I don't think there would have been much room for iteration, unless they decided to go in a wild different direction at first.

HOVwahj.png

Here's Fiora in the 2009 trailer, which is a pretty big difference compared to what's in the final product a year later - that outfit appears to still be on disc but I'm not sure if there's a way to legitimately access it through equipment combos.

And more akin to whats happening in 2, they reworked the eyes pretty heavily to make them look less like Barbie sticker eyes. I'm sure if someone could find a good quality version of the 2009 trailer they could compare Dunban's face in the opening sequence to what ended up in the game and there'd be some similar differences to ol' Rex up there

DMiz

Here's Fiora in the 2009 trailer, which is a pretty big difference compared to what's in the final product a year later - that outfit appears to still be on disc but I'm not sure if there's a way to legitimately access it through equipment combos.

And more akin to whats happening in 2, they reworked the eyes pretty heavily to make them look less like Barbie sticker eyes. I'm sure if someone could find a good quality version of the 2009 trailer they could compare Dunban's face in the opening sequence to what ended up in the game and there'd be some similar differences to ol' Rex up there

Thanks for this! As I suspected, it was probably Fiora or Melia. Really interesting to see how much they changed Fiora's design, though.

I feel like, with the amount of exposure that this game has since gotten, i have doubts that they will likely change the character design significantly at this point. I know there's been a lot of hubbub about Pyra's design, but outside of some minor tweaks I really don't expect much more substantial changes at this point.

duckroll

Japanese CE with Amazon exclusive postcards is in stock with international shipping!
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B075LN6WMc

EDIT: If you previously placed an order with shipping to a proxy, now's the time to cancel and place a new order. AFAIK it is not possible to change an order with domestic shipping to international shipping.

YAY! Thanks! I just locked in the pre-order. If we hear that the JP version is on the US cart before then and I can find a cheaper US CE I'll switch, but otherwise, this is the best bet for me. Yummmmm.

one_kill

I wasn't going to get this game day one, but I just saw the collectors edition at my local store being advertised and I must say it looks pretty sweet. I think I might preorder it now.

DemWalls

You know, I really like the character designs for this game. Especially Pyra. But I can't help but be salty that Monolithsoft's first real "cel-shaded" game doesn't have Kunihiko Tanaka's character designs for the main characters. Maybe because I've just always wanted to see his style envisioned in 3D properly for once. >.<;

Been saying this sonce the reveal, I hope that with this game Monolith learned a lot about properly translating more or less 'anime' styles in 3D, and that with future titles they'll finally be able to do Tanaka's designs justice.
I think Saito helped them quite a bit, given his previous experience.

It just dawned on me that this is getting a worldwide release.

Holy shit

It is crazy especially considering what it took for Xenoblade Chronicles to come to NA with Operation Rainfall and all that went on. It took almost two years or so for it to come over from Japanese release to NA (June 2010 in JP, August 2011 in EU, then April 2012 in NA) and that's with them using the same localization as the EU version.

I hope this means Monolith Soft's work in the future are also WW releases like the new project they've been hiring for.

anaron

Been saying this sonce the reveal, I hope that with this game Monolith learned a lot about properly translating more or less 'anime' styles in 3D, and that with future titles they'll finally be able to do Tanaka's designs justice.
I think Saito helped them quite a bit, given his previous experience.
I assume Saito was partially a test run for them. There’s no way Takahashi doesnt want to see Tanaka’s work properly realized.

The improvements from the original reveal to now are great too. Can't wait to pick up this game in December, hopefully alongside a Switch.
God, same here.

The first track and fourth track are GORGEOUS... but I yikes'd my way out of the noisy second and third tracks.

Aside from the first few seconds of Action Start's track (i.e. the noise) it's melodically very strong; it's a great track. Definitely Engage The Enemy-esque (which was one of the strongest from XB1).

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Got that preorder from Amazon in. Hopefully the art book has the illustrations of all the rare guest artist blades in it. I wonder what a Kentaro Miura blade would look like.

Fire Emblem Warriors collection got one.
Think you might able too here as well if you ask or somthing

But its a not a collector's edition.

Huh, guess I'll pre-order if that's the case, if not, I'm keeping my Best Buy copy

I would've payed an extra $15 if the Special Edition's CD were the entire soundtrack, I love all of the music for this game so far

mrmickfran

It's even a launch title for the system launch in Taiwan and South Korea.
They get Odyssey, Zelda and Xenoblade at launch. That's bonkers
It is crazy especially considering what it took for Xenoblade Chronicles to come to NA with Operation Rainfall and all that went on. It took almost two years or so for it to come over from Japanese release to NA (June 2010 in JP, August 2011 in EU, then April 2012 in NA) and that's with them using the same localization as the EU version.

I hope this means Monolith Soft's work in the future are also WW releases like the new project they've been hiring for.
We went from an almost 2 year wait to an 8 month wait to now a worldwide release. Times have changed.
The first track and fourth track are GORGEOUS... but I yikes'd my way out of the noisy second and third tracks.
Neiteio, you normally have good taste, wtf is this?

Is there a difference between the Special and Collectors edition? Best Buy has a CE listing up thats the same price as the SE, so I'm assuming its the same thing?

Edit: Totally forgot I pre-ordered this on BB weeks ago.

They get Odyssey, Zelda and Xenoblade at launch. That's bonkers

We went from an almost 2 year wait to an 8 month wait to now a worldwide release. Times have changed.

Neiteio, you normally have good taste, wtf is this?
I don't think Zelda is a launch title. Unless I'm misremembering.

Andyliini

So, it looks like almost every Nintendo game released these days gets Special Edition. The only exception to this has been Mario, as that series rarely gets Special Editions. Of course, I save some money, as I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions such as this one.

Top Bottom