• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I have a question of how to beat a boss, but in the spoiler:

I'm fighting Yaldabaoth in Central Factory, but i cannot beat him.
I can deal more than the half of the total HP that he have, but after that, he is invencible, you cannot damage him anymore.
Also, you can endure a lot, but Yaldabaoth will launch a one hit K.O attack and i cannot miss it.
I see in a video that appears a "future cinema" of when they are going to attack you, but with the Bionis thing: http://youtu.be/w-Zqib4oAGA?t=4m56s
That cinema didn't appeared to me, and of course, that mission request also didn't appeared too.

What I need to do to beat him?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
TyRaNtM said:

I can deal more than the half of the total HP that he have, but after that, he is invencible, you cannot damage him anymore.
Also, you can endure a lot, but Yaldabaoth will launch a one hit K.O attack and i cannot miss it.
I see in a video that appears a "future cinema" of when they are going to attack you, but with the Bionis thing: http://youtu.be/w-Zqib4oAGA?t=4m56s
That cinema didn't appeared to me, and of course, that mission request also didn't appeared too.

I'm not sure what is going on there. Usually the vision/quest comes up for me after I have 1/3rd of his health down. Once that pops up all you have to do is go around the walkway behind him and kill the three machine... things that are there. If that isn't happening for you, I don't know what is wrong.

wrowa

TyRaNtM said:

Did you kill his minions? Did you try using purge?

Hi2u

Banned
The game is great but it has a lousy equip interface. If I equip a different sword onto Reyn for example, and the former had gems on it but I forgot to take them off before unequipping it, how do I find go back to it without remembering it's name so I can take the gems off it?

Too many times I'd get a more powerful weapon or armour and equip it and realise I didn't take the gems off my old one, but then the only way of knowing which one had gems on (as there's so many in your inventory) is to equip each sword until it shows the ones with the gems so I can remove them off...

Hi2u said:
The game is great but it has a lousy equip interface. If I equip a different sword onto Reyn for example, and the former had gems on it but I forgot to take them off before unequipping it, how do I find go back to it without remembering it's name so I can take the gems off it?

Too many times I'd get a more powerful weapon or armour and equip it and realise I didn't take the gems off my old one, but then the only way of knowing which one had gems on (as there's so many in your inventory) is to equip each sword until it shows the ones with the gems so I can remove them off...
The E next to the gem in the gem menu is a faded blue I think.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hi2u said:

You can press the + button (I think it's +...I'm playing with a 360 controller) to see the item's stats and equipped gems when looking through the items without having to equip them.

Or you could just click on the gem slots on the new item and look for the gems with the greyed out "E" and just reequip them to the new weapon directly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
109 hours.... finally finished. Rushing a bit through the end because I was a bit impatient.

Now contemplating about whether to play a new game + or to start a fresh new game: both has its high/low points... hmm, any suggestions guys?

Anyways, can someone explain to me about the whole
scientist
ending thing....? What the.....? In fact, can someone sum up the entire story or direct me to a place where I can find summaries/explanations?

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Lissar said:
I'm not sure what is going on there. Usually the vision/quest comes up for me after I have 1/3rd of his health down. Once that pops up all you have to do is go around the walkway behind him and kill the three machine... things that are there. If that isn't happening for you, I don't know what is wrong.

wrowa said:
Did you kill his minions? Did you try using purge?

Thanks guys. The problem was that my characters were killing the machines BEFORE the minions.

spoiler end gamish.
So I'm lvl 73, where do I train or get side quest that don't need me to be like 85 or something lol

edit*
Should mention I have landed in colony 6 on junks and I'm doing some stuff before going.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
MatthewB92 said:
spoiler end gamish.
So I'm lvl 73, where do I train or get side quest that don't need me to be like 85 or something lol

edit*
Should mention I have landed in colony 6 on junks and I'm doing some stuff before going.

There should be some level 75-78 erm... I don't know what they're named in English, Gorillus? At the north of the large lake on the leg. You should be able to easily handle those. Going straight on to the interior is also a possibility since everything there is about your level.

TrounceX

Does anybody have a save with around lvl 30 characters that they could upload?

please!! I will like paypal you $ or something, totally serious.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just dropped in to say that the game is on sale amd in stock for €40 on Amazon.it

Game's obviously the same (english/jpn dubs with various subs), manual and case are written in italian.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
MatthewB92 said:
spoiler end gamish.

edit*

The Bionis Leg's Wind Cave is a good place since the enemy is around level 75-80 there. 73 level characters can handle a 76-77 monster there... though you might want to save the 80 until later, hahaha. For a first few battles you may want to use the lure feature though.

When my team were all 72-73, I could handle a fight against several level 75-77 ape-looking monsters roaming outside the Windy Cave... I'm using Melia to guarantee best AOE damage and insane 100% enhanced electricity damage, though... not sure if other characters can handle it as well as her though I suppose they could.

After that, maybe Tephra Cave should be your next destination: lots of level 85-89 monsters there.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Diablos54 said:
There is? Where?

You have
landed Junks on Colony 6
, yeah? On daylight, right outside the Junk there is a person who will give you a sidequest pertaining to this area. On northwestern part of the Villia Lake there's a new path opened where there are lots and lots of approximately level 85-88 critters running around.

It's the quest to
find the warehouse key behind the waterfall.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Diablos54 said:
There is? Where?

Another rather large part opens up eventually later in the game (there is no notification for this though, as far as I'm aware. It's just there if you go and look.) Quite a lot of good grinding to be had.

Laughing Banana said:
You have
landed Junks on Colony 6
, yeah? On daylight, right outside the Junk there is a person who will give you a sidequest pertaining to this area. On northwestern part of the Villia Lake there's a new path opened where there are lots and lots of approximately level 85-88 critters running around.

It's the quest to
open the warehouse key behind the waterfall.

Is it only open if you accept the quest? I thought it was just open all the time after a certain point. Oops.

Dash Kappei said:
Just dropped in to say that the game is on sale amd in stock for €40 on Amazon.it

Game's obviously the same (english/jpn dubs with various subs), manual and case are written in italian.
Just ordered it! :)

$65 total isn't too bad. I trust Amazon to eventually get it to me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lissar said:
Is it only open if you accept the quest? I thought it was just open all the time after a certain point. Oops.

I don't think the quest is related to whether it is opened or not, since the reason behind the path being opened is quite story-related anyway.

Well, he might as well finish that quest since he's there, yeah? :)

Gvaz

Banned
Hiltz said:
I got past
Prison Island
at 98 hours in.
ms116aza4h.gif

Anyways, I just five stared colony 9...i seemed to have missed the a place to come home to quest :|

Leeness

D: D: D:

I JUST WANT TO SHARE MY EXPLORATORY STORY OF NOOOOOOOO

Random earlyish Gaur Plains exploration

I was just exploring Gaur Plains, and I found this shrine! Daksha Shrine, I think? There was a red sparkly, so I was all "Ooh, let's go pick it up!"

MOTHERFUCKING HUGE SPIDER CRAWLS OVER THE EDGE AND IS ALL "SUP?!" AND I ACTUALLY SHRIEKED AND TURNED THE FUCK AROUND AND RAN

It got me though.

Edit: omg, I'm a member :')

Leeness said:

I was just exploring Gaur Plains, and I found this shrine! Daksha Shrine, I think? There was a red sparkly, so I was all "Ooh, let's go pick it up!"

MOTHERFUCKING HUGE SPIDER CRAWLS OVER THE EDGE AND IS ALL "SUP?!" AND I ACTUALLY SHRIEKED AND TURNED THE FUCK AROUND AND RAN

It got me though.

Ha, I had a similar experience
though I managed to escape
. I love how many neat moments like this are hidden away for the intrepid explorer.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Am I over-leveled for where I am in the game?

I'm level 31 at (early-to-mid-game spoilers)
Satorl Marsh
. I've been dicking around exploring the map and killing monsters without going to where my quest marker is pointing me at.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Leeness said:

It got me though.

One of the good things about Xenoblade is that it 'remembers' stuff. So if you managed to pick the red sparkle thingy before the spider killed you, then the thingy is still in your inventory after you are transported to the nearest landmark.

And guys... I think instead of playing a new game + I'll just restart in a completely fresh new game... wise decision or not? There is no sidequest requiring a new-game plus file to activate, right? I'm also curious about the japanese VA... hmmm maybe I should switch to that to experience something new.

Leeness

hosannainexcelsis said:
Ha, I had a similar experience
though I managed to escape
. I love how many neat moments like this are hidden away for the intrepid explorer.

I ran and ran but to no avail. :(

Laughing Banana said:
One of the good things about Xenoblade is that it 'remembers' stuff. So if you managed to pick the red sparkle thingy before the spider killed you, then the thingy is still in your inventory after you are transported to the nearest landmark.

I sure did, haha. Took its red sparkly.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Leeness said:

It got me though.

Haha, everyone has this story. Epic moment. I escaped though, but just barely. I can just imagine how arachnophobes would feel.

Congrats on membership!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Witchfinder General said:
Am I over-leveled for where I am in the game?

I'm level 31 at (early-to-mid-game spoilers)
Satorl Marsh
. I've been dicking around exploring the map and killing monsters without going to where my quest marker is pointing me at.

You may be surprised to know that the game keeps up relatively well with your levels. Even I who tend to run around fighting a lot was somewhat surprised that at most, the monster levels at story-related dungeons/events are only 1 or 2 levels below my party. Some of them, mostly the uniques, are even higher.

Leeness

Lissar said:
Haha, everyone has this story. Epic moment. I escaped though, but just barely. I can just imagine how arachnophobes would feel.

Congrats on membership!

I kind of figured, haha, I bet everyone exploring Gaur for the first time runs into it.

Thanks! :D

I'm not going to lie. The game has taken a dive with fairy sky people land. From what I hear though, what happens after this is pretty exciting. I can't wait to get past this part.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Rahxephon91 said:
I'm not going to lie. The game has taken a dive with fairy sky people land. From what I hear though, what happens after this is pretty exciting. I can't wait to get past this part.

Eryth Sea is a pain in the ass when you need to travel to the surface islands. All the swimming is :\

Well, not as annoying as navigating Alcamoth/Frontier Village for quests though :mad:

Reveirg

Rahxephon91 said:

That was my impression too.

Don't worry, not only does it pick up soon, but then it doesn't let go until well... I suppose I'm near the end? I'm at
Agni Ratha

jgwhiteus

Leeness said:

It got me though.

Spoiler for those who are a bit later in the game than above (gone through sidequests in Satorl Marsh):
I loved what happened when you actually use the item from the shrine. Definitely an "oh shit!" moment.

I'm more than 40 hours in, about level 49 or so - and for the first time, I'm not feeling overleveled. Just reached
the Mechonis sword
and I think I'll take some time to do sidequests, because earning experience the "regular" way seems to take too long sometimes.

I will say, sometimes the environments seem TOO huge for no good reason, and they can be a pain if you're a completionist and you get annoyed by unfinished area maps.
Alcamoth
was a big offender, also because it's so empty - they could have cut the map sizes in half - and I kept on hoping more landmarks would pop up in
the Valak mountains
. A "sprint shoes" option, beyond Quick Step gems, would have been much appreciated. At the same time, the sheer size of what they've mapped out is impressive - I thought of how Gaur Plains reminded me a bit of FFXIII's Pulse, except Gaur Plains is only just one of several huge open areas in the game, whereas Pulse was pretty much it in FFXIII.

The pacing for this seems much more relaxed than other Monolith Soft games (and other RPG's in general) - I don't feel like I've been subjected to continuous plot developments and cut scenes. A lot of it has to do with the freedom to do sidequests and fast travel to every location you've visited whenever you like, so you never feel like you're been railroaded (even though the plot is actually quite linear).

Also (major spoilers for those who haven't seen plot developments around lv. 45-50 or so)
I love how the Mechons are starting to look like Gears - I got serious Elly / Vierge vibes from Fiora and her Mechon. I know "Xenoblade" has no connection to the Xeno-games, but it's like Monolith Soft can't resist people in mechs, and all those tropes like pretty silver-haired guys with mysterious agendas, orphans with unexplained pasts and untapped powers, etc. But that's why I love Monolith Soft games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Reveirg said:
That was my impression too.

Don't worry, not only does it pick up soon, but then it doesn't let go until well... I suppose I'm near the end? I'm at
Agni Ratha

Protiop: Don't forget to collect stuff for your collectophedia there and finish all of the available quest immediately before progressing on :p You might also want to fight the uniques there repeatedly and abuse the hell out of the save-load system to pick up their goodies--most importantly the skill books. The fallen arm's quest
For The Loved One....
will also gone after fighting the end-boss in
Agniratha.

Just a couple more dungeons and one of them is somewhat short, so yea you're not far from end-story.

Gvaz

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
The plot with them is generally pretty awful compared to the rest of the game. Just plow through it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Leeness said:

It got me though.

Didi the same thing to me. Except I have now just kicked its arse as I'm now level 31. Yeah, eat it, spider.

MatthewB92 said:
when I started playing today I was at 71 hours I think? Now I'm at 83 hours lol. Great day today!
I played for the exact same length and at the same hours on the clock as you :O

edit: And I agree with the above, the game is probably it's weakest around the
Alcomoth
area, I felt pretty burnt out on sidequests there and the plot floundered for a bit, but a break for a few days and then back to it and the story picks up stronger than ever right after that part

M-PG71C

I spent six hours questing, fucking questing. And looking around Colony 6, 9, and the cave. Holy shit, there's just so much to do. It's like a big damn playground!

I've never had so much fun playing an RPG in years. When you do want to move on with the story, the story keeps you moving on. It's always interesting and the characters are really likable. I'm only about fifteen hours in and I've barely scratched it. When I do play it, its serious crack. I can't put it down and I have to literally force myself to take a break.

As soon as I finish some auditing for work, I'm back to playing it. I gotta hurry up and get my shit together. I think I'm ready to move on to more story after questing for a while. My characters are lv 25 and I just made it to Colony 6.

Afrocious

Man, I haven't been doing sidequests like you guys...maybe I should. Apparently I've been missing out on a lot.

I'm level 58ish, got the final party member, and I'm about to hit
the end of the Mechonis 'Field'

What are some fun things I could do at this point?
Apparently I've missed out on a Monado art among other things.

Top Bottom