• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

DJIzana

Indeed. I want Xenoblade exploration. This is half the game for me (and the story is the other half, with the soundtrack being kind of a third half). This is what I want to see. I don't believe they will do Pokemon levels of bs to force me on a mech either.

You say this, but you yourself haven't finished reading my post before saying that...

Think you need to clarify more then. Obviously I'm not the only one who's having trouble trying to understand what you are trying to get at. :p

brinstar

While a lot of this information excites me, I'm a bit conflicted about the stuff regarding the story progression. What I loved about Xenoblade was how the story still had very linear progression but the areas were massive and still had tons to do and explore. I really hope the story is still a big focus and the game isn't just going to be a massive collection of fetch/kill quests. That's my biggest concern right now. Xenoblade had a lot of those MMO-quests, but you could generally ignore them and still have fun with the story. I hope that's still possible here.

Also, not sure how I feel about the lack of healing spells.

Yeah this is what's worrying me too. I hope there's still a "main" plot you can follow while working on various tasks. Unless the Union questlines themselves have their own plots. But the trailers do make it seem like the game has a main scenario.

Ganondorfo

So this game is going to have a deep storyline like Xenogears and memorable Mitsuda music? I hope that the director of this game is going to make a deep storydriven jrpg again. I understand that people today dont care for that style of rpg anymore, they want open world rpgs with quests.

ibyea

Banned
In the first Xenoblade, 80 hours and I felt burned out, and I really hated the sidequests. 300 hours of all that?! I don't think it's for me, even if I did enjoy a lot of the first game.

TheMoon

So this game is going to have a deep storyline like Xenogears and memorable Mitsuda music? I hope that the director of this game is going to make a deep storydriven jrpg again. I understand that people today dont care for that style of rpg anymore, they want open world rpgs with quests.

Mitsuda is not involved in this game. Please read the OP.

In the first Xenoblade, 80 hours and I felt burned out, and I really hated the sidequests. 300 hours of all that?! I don't think it's for me, even if I did enjoy a lot of the first game.

300h isn't the completion time. please read the thread.

Ceravic

Mitsuda is not doing the music for this game.

ika

So only five main areas in Mira (Wilderness, Desert, Lava, that blue Avatar-esque area and the purple one?). And we'll get the Dolls later in the game so we'll need to start exploring on foot. And even when we get the Dolls, they won't be able to fly from the start. I suppose you'll need to complete Doll engineering related quests or something like that to improve your EVA... :p

The story will evolve from surviving in Mira to a probable Alien invasion later in the game... And yes, you can choose what character you want to use in battle, not only your avatar.

*keeps reading*

Ceravic

So only five main areas in Mira (Wilderness, Desert, Lava, that blue Avatar-esque area and the purple one?). And we'll get the Dolls later in the game so we'll need to start exploring on foot. And even when we get the Dolls, they won't be able to fly from the start. I suppose you'll need to complete Doll engineering related quests or something like that to improve your EVA... :p

The story will evolve from surviving in Mira to a probable Alien invasion later in the game... And yes, you can choose what character you want to use in battle, not only your avatar.

*keeps reading*

Van Damme for life! I hope they have a bandana so I can just pretend he's Hulk Hogan.

DJIzana

Please tell me what you are not understanding here:

Well, nothing any more but from what you had mentioned, it all seemed rather obvious watching the exploration trailer (everything except all the details relating to mechs). You can jump up mountains, you can swim, fly in chasms, jump off huge cliffs. Generally, I wouldn't think they'd limit you to areas or have invisible walls if they showcased stuff like that. Though... that's been known to happen before, I suppose.

So only five main areas in Mira (Wilderness, Desert, Lava, that blue Avatar-esque area and the purple one?).
It said on the page that the line was a bit unclear. I'm pretty sure we've seen way more than 5 different locations after the newest trailer unless each main area is incredibly diverse.

Van Damme for life! I hope they have a bandana so I can just pretend he's Hulk Hogan.
Xenoblade already has Hulk Hogan, though.

latest

Well, nothing any more but from what you had mentioned, it all seemed rather obvious watching the exploration trailer (everything except all the details relating to mechs). You can jump up mountains, you can swim, fly in chasms, jump off huge cliffs. Generally, I wouldn't think they'd limit you to areas or have invisible walls if they showcased stuff like that. Though... that's been known to happen before, I suppose.

And in the first post you quoted to start this, it was literally what I was talking about...

Anyway, it's over now.

Let's move on to Hulk Hogan because that is a much more interesting subject.

And I think if Van Damme wore Dickson's clothes Monolithsoft would be sued by WWE. =P

Ceravic

It said on the page that the line was a bit unclear. I'm pretty sure we've seen way more than 5 different locations after the newest trailer unless each main area is incredibly diverse.

Xenoblade already has Hulk Hogan, though.

latest

Dickson is
a dick! If anything he's Hollywood Hogan.

ika

Yes I know. I don't know japanese I can only read some kanji and all the kana. The word "ロケーション" is "location" with japanese sounds, so it worries me a bit since I'm sure if Takahashi would want to mean continents I'm sure there're many japanese words to say it. But since I can't read the whole answer to get some context, I remain a bit optimistic...

Anyway, we could get that five main locations that are multi layered with some variations...

TheMoon

I see, so it means the completion developers did to check every nook and cranny, and not just main game+sidequests.

Indeed!

No healer means tougher battles unless they mean no dedicated healer but anyone can heal which would be great.

Anyone can heal themselves in some form and you can heal OTHERS only via Soul Voice. (That's how they described it at E3)

finalflame

I don't like mechs because I don't like mechs, so I also want to play most of the game on foot... but the idea of flying with the mech seems more related to vertical exploration, or to reach blocked areas, similar to an airship of sorts.

I'm pretty sure they don't want people spending all their playtime in mechs.

Seems like not liking mechs is the minority, though, people seem to be enamored with them for the most part. I really, really, don't like mechs, and hope you're right and that they play no large part in the game.

duckroll

The stuff about the Unions is actually pretty cool. They're clearly mission guilds which will provide the different types of "generic" quests in the game, but what I'm really hoping for is that if they do this, the NPC quests in towns and so on will be much more interesting rather than MMO-ish "kill [x] shit" or "collect [x] shit" stuff. Those would be the sort of quests you can easily fill the Unions with instead, and players who don't like certain types of those generic quests can just avoid them.

ivysaur12

Banned
The stuff about the Unions is actually pretty cool. They're clearly mission guilds which will provide the different types of "generic" quests in the game, but what I'm really hoping for is that if they do this, the NPC quests in towns and so on will be much more interesting rather than MMO-ish "kill [x] shit" or "collect [x] shit" stuff. Those would be the sort of quests you can easily fill the Unions with instead, and players who don't like certain types of those generic quests can just avoid them.

Oh, that is (potentially) very neat.

The inclusion of an online component, a first for Monolith Soft. The X(cross) is related to the meaning of separated players playing together.

Online! But this isn’t an online RPG[I think “online RPG” is synonymous with “MMO” in Japan], right?

At this point in time I can only give you a summary, but it’s not a game where you strictly play together with other players, it follows a “loosely connected online game” concept. To give a feeling of solidarity without the awareness of other people, we didn’t base it on online RPGs

uh-oh I am feeling some bravely default online components incoming

rhandino

Banned
Seems like not liking mechs is the minority, though, people seem to be enamored with them for the most part. I really, really, don't like mechs, and hope you're right and that they play no large part in the game.
Ummmm, all signs points that they will have large role in the game... I mean:

Also the fact that the map is bigger to accommodate them and the fact that you can fight big enemies using them, if anything you could think of them as a vehicle or an armor...

But why don't like the mechs? Mechs are Awesome! =P

TriBlade

Also the fact that the map is bigger to accommodate them and the fact that you can fight big enemies using them, if anything you could think of them as a vehicle or an armor...

I hope they let you can customizes your mech like your character; color, transformation, etc. I think they will though.

finalflame

I just don't see the appeal; or perhaps they add an extra layer of disconnect from the game that kills immersion for me. I'd much rather explore a world on foot, horseback, or some other relatively normal/organic form of transportation. The world in Xenoblade was so beautifully created, and traversing it on foot and soaking in the scenery was awesome. I don't want to be shoved into a machine frame.

I guess I really just don't think mechs are "cool". I don't know, just my own personal biases :/

Ceravic

I generally am not huge into mechs, but I loved them in Xenogears and that has made me okay with them in all Takahashi games.

duckroll

Mechs are awesome. People who don't like mechs can simply not play a mech game. Dealwithit, etc. Go play Skyrim or Crackdown or something.

Mechs are definitely going to be a huge part of Xenoblade X. Takahashi himself said that he has always wanted to make a game like this where there exploration is seamless between humans and mechs. There'll definitely be places you cannot get to on foot, or are simply scaled such where it doesn't make sense to explore on foot. That's all good. Mechs are amazing. If you don't like mechs, who cares about you.

:)

Zero²

Just curious, why you dislike them so much?
Mechs are the future of mankind, so get used to it! :)

hoserx

I love mechs and every time they show one, my hype level intensifies. I want to be in them all the time in this game.

Laconic

Banned
Mechs are awesome. People who don't like mechs can simply not play a mech game. Dealwithit, etc. Go play Skyrim or Crackdown or something.

Mechs are definitely going to be a huge part of Xenoblade X. Takahashi himself said that he has always wanted to make a game like this where there exploration is seamless between humans and mechs. There'll definitely be places you cannot get to on foot, or are simply scaled such where it doesn't make sense to explore on foot. That's all good. Mechs are amazing. If you don't like mechs, who cares about you.

/sign.

It bears reiterating - the mech exploration looks like Dragon Quest 8, after you get the bird, on nitro.

finalflame

Zero²;149750972 said:
Just curious, why you dislike them so much?
Mechs are the future of mankind, so get used to it! :)

I guess I just don't see the appeal of jumping into a huge suit of armor. Not in a game that is narratively driven and I want to feel some semblance of immersion. For example, I loved Titans in Titanfall, because they were there purely for the action and over-the-topness. I just can't reconcile mechs in a JRPG. It also might have something to do with how I like my JRPGs - I like classic, medieval-esque settings, and am not overtly fond of super futuristic settings.

Others can like them just fine, it's just not a huge draw for me. I'll get X either way, I trust it'll be a fantastic game regardless, I just don't want to be forced into a mech all the time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
some good stuff

wrowa

My biggest issue with mechs in this game is that I don't think that Takahashi and his teams have ever quite nailed mech mechanics in one of their games before. Sometimes I found them downright annoying (Xenogears) other times completely inconsequential (do you ever even need to use your AGWS in Xenosaga 1?). However, that's mostly because mechs in the other Xeno games really didn't feel all too different from being on foot when on the overworld (you are controling a huge roboter, but in the end you were still just following a linear path) and just added some additional battle mechanics to the games battles.

I'm not sure if I'll like fighting with mechs this time around, but the thought of being able to fly around with a mech is incredibly appealing. In that sens I feel that this could finally become Takahashi's ultimate mech game. I just hope that they got the balancing right.

Laconic

Banned
My biggest issue with mechs in this game is that I don't think that Takahashi and his teams have ever quite nailed mech mechanics in one of their games before. Sometimes I found them downright annoying (Xenogears) other times completely inconsequential (do you ever even need to use your AGWS in Xenosaga 1?). However, that's mostly because mechs in the other Xeno games really didn't feel all too different from being on foot when on the overworld (you are controling a huge roboter, but in the end you were still just following a linear path) and just added some additional battle mechanics to the games battles.

I'm not sure if I'll like fighting with mechs this time around, but the thought of being able to fly around with a mech is incredibly appealing. In that sens I feel that this could finally become Takahashi's ultimate mech game. I just hope that they got the balancing right.

But... you've seen the mech footage, right?

Those puppies be flyin'!

wmlk

My goodness. Mechs in Xenogears were absolutely pitiful. I share the same sentiments.

I want to know which of these new characters are actual party members.

Pretty psyched to try out all the avatar customization options.

The Hermit

uQGN7.jpg

Soriku

No healer means tougher battles unless they mean no dedicated healer but anyone can heal which would be great.

Not necessarily.

T: At first there were healers[with arts focused on healing], but because that meant spending time healing instead of attacking, it felt like you were at a disadvantage. Since we removed them, we added in a system called “Soul Voice” as a way to heal. Soul Voices occur if the battle is going well; your party members will suddenly react, and you’ll restore HP with a well-timed button press. You can recover HP while still attacking this way, so it’s alright for the player to focus solely on taking down the enemies. Just by taking out the healing time, battles finish with a sense of speed greater than the first game.

Seems like your battle tactics should be aggressive (even moreso than Xenoblade), which is interesting and could be pretty cool if they implemented the Soul Voice system well. I'm liking how they said the battles are more actiony too.

On another note, I wonder how much this game cost to make. Really hope it can make a good profit.

Top Bottom