• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

aravuus

I don't know, Xenoblade's RTA is less than 10hrs...

Shocking news, everyone: people take PR talk about a game's length and the world's size at face value

It's gonna be big and it's gonna be long. But it's not gonna be 400km^2 of traversable ground big and it's not gonna take you 300 hours to complete.

Size is disappointing it's not even half the size of the just cause 2 map which was pretty tiny.

Only way around it I see is if they artificially enhance the size by making traversal slow.

Just Cause 2, tiny? Lmao fuck outta here

ugoo18

Size is disappointing it's not even half the size of the just cause 2 map which was pretty tiny.

Only way around it I see is if they artificially enhance the size by making traversal slow.

Size disappointing

Just Cause 2 tiny

This post..... i don't even

Shocking news, everyone: people take PR talk about a game's length and the world's size at face value

It's gonna be big and it's gonna be long. But it's not gonna be 400km^2 of traversable ground big and it's not gonna take you 300 hours to complete.

What I'm talking about is that you can never image how good those RTA players are. ;)

TheMoon

tumblr_static_8tb58wq9f10c8wwkko48k4ow0.gif

rhandino

Banned
Who has time to play such a long game?
Seriously...
People without jobs and people with jobs that are good managing their time? =P

I played Xenoblade and countless hours of the Souls series, but I am the kind of person that once starts playing those long ass games couldn't be bothered to play other games even if I was expecting them from months...

I don't know, I am happy massive RPG are a thing since also I can buy one and be happy with it for two months =D

Sometimes PR talk isn't necessarily inaccurate, just using facts that are only applied in the game in a certain way. The 400km^2 may not be traversable, but it could certainly be accessible... by air. There's strong indication they want dolls to be used heavily for exploration, and have spoken of meeting the challenges to make the environment available to air exploration. There's also every reason to believe that the game could take 300 hours to complete... the side quests. 300 hours is not difficult to achieve in open world games, maybe 5-10 years ago there would be reason to be skeptical, but now 300 hours is basically a standard.

aravuus

Sometimes PR talk isn't necessarily inaccurate, just using facts that are only applied in the game in a certain way. The 400km^2 may not be traversable, but it could certainly be accessible... by air. There's strong indication they want dolls to be used heavily for exploration, and have spoken of meeting the challenges to make the environment available to air exploration. There's also every reason to believe that the game could take 300 hours to complete... the side quests. 300 hours is not difficult to achieve in open world games, maybe 5-10 years ago there would be reason to be skeptical, but now 300 hours is basically a standard.

Yeah, so you're not actually disagreeing with me.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is Xeno X has some sort of gambit (kind of like XII) for those AI ? The fact that I cannot switch between characters is extremely disappointing.

While a lot of this information excites me, I'm a bit conflicted about the stuff regarding the story progression. What I loved about Xenoblade was how the story still had very linear progression but the areas were massive and still had tons to do and explore. I really hope the story is still a big focus and the game isn't just going to be a massive collection of fetch/kill quests. That's my biggest concern right now. Xenoblade had a lot of those MMO-quests, but you could generally ignore them and still have fun with the story. I hope that's still possible here.

Also, not sure how I feel about the lack of healing spells.

Effect

Can't link it right now but it seems like there is a new article up on Siliconera where in it it's stated that the game barely fits on the Wii U disc. To the point they were concerned if they might need two. To fix that the game have an install so that console continuously loads the map so it remains seamless.

This said as a warning to those that get the retail version but I would assume the install might be small to fit on all models. Would also think one might have to clear out some things depending on how big it is. The article says they'll say more about that on the official site. If you download the game though you shouldn't have anything to worry about since it's all loading off a hard drive to begin with.

wrowa

Shocking news, everyone: people take PR talk about a game's length and the world's size at face value.

It's worth pointing out that Takahashi didn't actually claim that the game would take 300 hours to complete. He said that his final play test took that long - but that doesn't say a whole lot about the game's actual length depending on how much testing was involved in that test.

TheMoon

Can't link it right now but it seems like there is a new article up on Siliconera where in it it's stated that the game barely fits on the Wii U disc. To the point they were concerned if they might need two. To fix that the game have an install so that console continuously loads the map so it remains seamless.

This said as a warning to those that get the retail version but I would assume the install might be small to fit on all models. Would also think one might have to clear out some things depending on how big it is. The article says they'll say more about that on the official site. If you download the game though you shouldn't have anything to worry about since it's all loading off a hard drive to begin with.

This has all been covered either here or in the twitter update thread where this information originally comes from.

finalflame

I really hope I can spend most of the game without getting into a Mech. I hate the idea of polluting awesome exploration by being forced to traverse the gameworld is a bulky machine.

I really hope I can spend most of the game without getting into a Mech. I hate the idea of polluting awesome exploration by being forced to traverse the gameworld is a bulky machine.

I don't like mechs because I don't like mechs, so I also want to play most of the game on foot... but the idea of flying with the mech seems more related to vertical exploration, or to reach blocked areas, similar to an airship of sorts.

I'm pretty sure they don't want people spending all their playtime in mechs.

DJIzana

I don't like mechs because I don't like mechs, so I also want to play most of the game on foot... but the idea of flying with the mech seems more related to vertical exploration, or to reach blocked areas, similar to an airship of sorts.

I'm pretty sure they don't want people spending all their playtime in mechs.

You'll have to deal with it regardless then, like it or not, because they're a part of combat too and might even be needed for certain fights.

Generally I've never really been interested in mechs either but for Xenoblade Chronicles "X", I think they look really cool. Especially in an RPG.

You'll have to deal with it regardless then, like it or not, because they're a part of combat too and might even be needed for certain fights.

Generally I've never really been interested in mechs either but for Xenoblade Chronicles "X", I think they look really cool. Especially in an RPG.

I will have to deal with the combat independently of where I am, will I not? =P

But I don't see the game closing off areas or exploration because of mechs...

ika

Just wondering..., there's a proper translation of the Famitsu Special yet (or at least of Takahashi's interview), or only those snippets we already seen? The scans are everywhere so a good soul could do it for us... :) I'm sure there's some info missing in those appreciated snippets.

Innolis

I've not played Xenoblade, is this a sequel to the story or just set on the same universe?

This is the only game that could possibly make me consider buying a WiiU. I played monolith's games for their plot, and I understand xenoblade has a great story.

I've not played Xenoblade, is this a sequel to the story or just set on the same universe?

This is the only game that could possibly make me consider buying a WiiU. I played monolith's games for their plot, and I understand xenoblade has a great story.

Neither actually. This is a completely different game (think like the difference between mainline FF games).

Some people are trying to make those crazy possibilities on the connection of both games, but so far they are just speculation, and just for minor bits of the game.

DJIzana

I will have to deal with the combat independently of where I am, will I not? =P

But I don't see the game closing off areas or exploration because of mechs...

Well... depends on what your idea of exploration is. If I want to fly to the top of one of those crazy geological structures to look at the view (or maybe possible secrets, we don't know yet...), then yeah, you would be limited to a mech. Question is then... how many areas are like that?

Well... depends on what your idea of exploration is. If I want to fly to the top of one of those crazy geological structures to look at the view (or maybe possible secrets, we don't know yet...), then yeah, you would be limited to a mech. Question is then... how many areas are like that?

So are you telling me I won't be able to climb mountais or reach cliffs on foot?

Is there something sensible stopping me from doing so or are they just trying to shove mechs down my throat?

My idea of exploration is going out of my way to find stuff. If the story is dictating that I have to use mechs to complete an objective, that is fine. If the game is dictating I have to use mechs because "fuck you, there's a huge boulder in your way, fly over it", then that is not fine.

TheMoon

So are you telling me I won't be able to climb mountais or reach cliffs on foot?

Is there something sensible stopping me from doing so or are they just trying to shove mechs down my throat?

My idea of exploration is going out of my way to find stuff. If the story is dictating that I have to use mechs to complete an objective, that is fine. If the game is dictating I have to use mechs because "fuck you, there's a huge boulder in your way, fly over it", then that is not fine.

I'm sorry but that sounds silly. If you're standing in front of a gigantic cliff or there is a deep chasm that you cannot cross on foot you're saying that's bad because you have some personal vendetta against mechs? There will be places that you cannot reach on foot. You will be able to climb/jump up hills and mountains to a certain extent. I really don't see how this is a problem.

rjinaz

Just wondering..., there's a proper translation of the Famitsu Special yet (or at least of Takahashi's interview), or only those snippets we already seen? The scans are everywhere so a good soul could do it for us... :) I'm sure there's some info missing in those appreciated snippets.

Gessenkou on GameFAQS is doing a translation. He's pretty good and is probably the closest follower of all things this game.
Here

Nanashrew

Banned
Here are the Union emblems if anyone want to add to their avatar.

Path Finder - In charge of data probe installation.

Arms - Assists the Arms Company in charge of the development of Dolls and their inner weaponry.

Colepedian - In charge of visiting areas and investigation/collecting materials.

Avalanche - In charge of hunting down dangerous life forms.

Inter Ceptor - In charge of exterminating protists.

Land Bank - In charge of securing resources and collecting minerals.

Testament - In charge of the search and recovery of debris scattered by the ship, as well as the recovery of items lost on the battlefield.

Companion - A Jack of all trades, from the mediation of petty fights to the search of stray cats.

Thank you!

I really don't know where to put it on my avatar! D:

DJIzana

That was not what I was getting at... see this mushroom looking mountain area in the background? You won't obviously be able to get to the top of that on foot.

I'm sorry but that sounds silly. If you're standing in front of a gigantic cliff or there is a deep chasm that you cannot cross on foot you're saying that's bad because you have some personal vendetta against mechs? There will be places that you cannot reach on foot. You will be able to climb/jump up hills and mountains to a certain extent. I really don't see how this is a problem.
If I'm standing in front of a gigantic cliff, why can't I climb it? Isn't there a path around it that will let me get to the top on foot? If I see a deep chasm, why can't I jump it? Didn't they say there's no more fall damage? That's the change that makes me WANT to jump down every deep chasm. Every case is a case...

That was not what I was getting at... see this mushroom looking mountain area in the background? You won't obviously be able to get to the top of that on foot.
And that's what I'm saying. Climbing on that mushroom is different than climbing a mountain. Are those the only places where I have to use mechs to get up to? Or will they block off areas from me unless I'm in a mech?

edit: think like this: "do I have to explore this area in a mech?" then that sucks, "do I need to fly up something in my mech to explore it on foot once I reach it?" then that's fine.

DJIzana

If I'm standing in front of a gigantic cliff, why can't I climb it? Isn't there a path around it that will let me get to the top on foot? If I see a deep chasm, why can't I jump it? Didn't they say there's no more fall damage? That's the change that makes me WANT to jump down every deep chasm. Every case is a case...

And that's what I'm saying. Climbing on that mushroom is different than climbing a mountain. Are those the only places where I have to use mechs to get up to? Or will they block off areas from me unless I'm in a mech?

edit: think like this: "do I have to explore this area in a mech?" then that sucks, "do I need to fly up something in my mech to explore it on foot once I reach it?" then that's fine.

I... think you need to re-watch that exploration trailer. You see some cliff jumping and even climbing on cliffs.

We've seen players park their mechs on top of high plateaus in previous trailers. I don't think you need to worry about being locked to mechs everywhere you'll need mechs to reach. I'd look at them as this game's equivalent of airships/vehicles in FF games, except you'll be able to fight using them, too.

I... think you need to re-watch that exploration trailer. You see some cliff jumping and even climbing on cliffs.

... And you need to re-read my posts...

Anyway, we're clearly not understanding each other, so wtv.

We've seen players park their mechs on top of high plateaus in previous trailers. I don't think you need to worry about being locked to mechs everywhere you'll need mechs to reach. I'd look at them as this game's equivalent of airships/vehicles in FF games, except you'll be able to fight using them, too.
That's what I'm saying I want (and what I said in the first post). That is how it should be.

alvis.exe

I'm sure you'll be able to jump off everything lol. That's what I'm planning on doing once I get access to mechs. Fly to the highest point I can fly and jump off.

As for cliffs, they're preeettttty hard to scale in real life without tools (or in game-speak, vines to climb up) so I don't mind having to fly to the top of some gigantic cliff wall! I have faith in Monolith Soft's environment designers; I don't think they'll do things like Game Freak what with the "here are two tiny rocks in the river that are blocking you from proceeding upstream" type thing or the "this is grass and that is grass but you can't step on this grass" type thing haha. Xenoblade never gave me that feeling of "but WHY can't I get across that stupid little ridge" that I get all the time in other JRPGs and I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time round.

But then again I just want to fly around the entire world in a mech, crash into things, try to land in water, etc. Can't wait!

wrowa

If I'm standing in front of a gigantic cliff, why can't I climb it? Isn't there a path around it that will let me get to the top on foot?

You need to take a look at that screenshot again that got posted above your post. How would you climb on islands that are floating in the sky? How would you possibly climb on top of that huge, mushroom-like something in the background? It's an alien planet that doesn't follow the rules of our world.

I'm sure you'll be able to jump off everything lol. That's what I'm planning on doing once I get access to mechs. Fly to the highest point I can fly and jump off.

As for cliffs, they're preeettttty hard to scale in real life without tools (or in game-speak, vines to climb up) so I don't mind having to fly to the top of some gigantic cliff wall! I have faith in Monolith Soft's environment designers; I don't think they'll do things like Game Freak what with the "here are two tiny rocks in the river that are blocking you from proceeding upstream" type thing or the "this is grass and that is grass but you can't step on this grass" type thing haha. Xenoblade never gave me that feeling of "but WHY can't I get across that stupid little ridge" that I get all the time in other JRPGs and I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time round.

But then again I just want to fly around the entire world in a mech, crash into things, try to land in water, etc. Can't wait!
Indeed. I want Xenoblade exploration. This is half the game for me (and the story is the other half, with the soundtrack being kind of a third half). This is what I want to see. I don't believe they will do Pokemon levels of bs to force me on a mech either.

You need to take a look at that screenshot again that got posted above your post. How would you climb on islands that are floating in the sky? How would you possibly climb on top of that huge, mushroom-like something in the background? It's an alien planet that doesn't follow the rules of our world.
You say this, but you yourself haven't finished reading my post before saying that...

Top Bottom