• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

jonjonaug

Got this game late last night and already put 6 hours in. I'm reminded of how pure the escapism is of Japanese RPG's -- been years since I've played one.

So I'm sure the feeling of being overwhelmed is pretty common in this thread to newbies, but my social options just opened up and I'm really dumbfounded about the social aspects. This is normal? I honestly don't care about playing with anyone else at the moment, just want to learn the game a little better first. I'm not losing out on anything by ignoring that, am I?

Don't worry so much about the social aspect until you're farther in. Just know that you can spend the tickets you'll get from your squad completing the squad tasks to buy enemy dropped materials at the console in the barracks. For some quests it's better to just cash in tickets rather than hunt down the materials yourself.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don't worry so much about the social aspect until you're farther in. Just know that you can spend the tickets you'll get from your squad completing the squad tasks to buy enemy dropped materials at the console in the barracks. For some quests it's better to just cash in tickets rather than hunt down the materials yourself.
Thank you. Looking forward to exploring more!

The Giant

Banned
Man, the chapter 10 boss was easy. Me, Elma and Lyn were lv 47 with lv 30 skells and a lv 30 4th person.

Beat the boss with flying colours.

JCX

Wow, the chapter 9 boss fight followed by the flight module mission is my gaming moment of the year.

That boss battle,
immediately reminded me of the O-Ren fight in Kill Bill. Easily the toughest boss so far, then follow it immediately with a skell vs skell boss fight.

The first flight out of NLA, especially with how they staged it to
fly from the center of the city, rising in front of the tower, then finally seeing the whole world beneath and knowing that you can go anywhere.

Such an amazing game.

jonjonaug

Just starting.
Silent protagonist thing... not really... uh... feeling it.

The silent protagonist hurts the main quest, but the options that you're given in the side quests are so detailed and often hilarious as to make this not really matter. Given that the main quest is only about 10% of the game, this isn't such a big deal.

Still can't get 15000 in a single return to get my skell license. Any suggestions? Any YouTube or pics of the probe layout?

I'm using the southwest corner of Primordia, got all my best probes linked up with a duplicator and booster however best I can manage, broke down all my mining probes, and still can't break 14,000.

Shit's getting annoying.

-Horizon-

UGHHHHHH. I just realized I may have screwed up the affinity chart. I only just now realized the importance of the NLA citizen requests that sometimes pop up. Like I just had wendy or whatever her name is ask for help about nopon salesmen. I recommended the right person somehow and the whole chart thing was updated. I had this happen before where a BLADE asked for recruits from the ma non but now I guess I recommended the wrong person because the chart pop up didn't update. Nooooooooo!

*sigh*

I also finished up another
orpheon mission, one of them went looking for the water but ended up dying but I managed to convince them to use the drop of water they found on themselves so that they could divide and live on. Took me a while to find another drop myself but now NLA is crawling with orpheons lol

Yeah, he has his own chain of missions. You'll meet him again soon enough.

But yeah, that was fucked up.
Good. My mech's foot is stamped and addressed to go up his butt next time I see him.

The beauty of xenoblade games. Enter a place. See a bad guy. Target them to see them way higher than you. Then you just go nope and leave.

Or in my case. See how you fare and end up being destroyed
I jog up to them. See the level. Sprint in opposite direction. Run into some other high level enemy hiding underground or disguised as a plant lol.

This is the first game in years that truly made me feel overwhelmed by all the options, almost to the level of The Last Remnant but not nearly as punishing or obtuse in its explanations.

I really love that, though.

Question: I know the game is free-form and I have no desire to rush things, but are there some early-game side-quests I shouldn't be ignoring? Like, should I try to level up Biological and Mechanical field skills? Should I go the extra mile (literally, in this game) to plant more probes to get my passive income churning? Are there NPCs I should be recruiting now to get them leveled for later areas?

I don't mind stumbling across things, and the missions you DO have listed have very clear directions and explanations. But I also don't want to rush through the story when I can be doing important side stuff earlier.

Focus on leveling up mechanical skills first! Some probe sites require a certain level to be activated.

I say just do the side quests at your own pace. You can also accept up to 20 missions at a time. Of course if its a story mission or an affinity mission, you can only do one of those at a time.

rhandino

Banned
woooooow alex you dickface
he killed like 3 nopon in that cutscene already! D:<

please tell me we can actually finish him off later, the jerk ran off somehow
I just finished that sidequest... I suspected something was up considering the language he was using when asking for them but good lord.

Thos poor cute Nopons T_T

I just finished that sidequest... I suspected something was up considering the language he was using when asking for them but good lord.

If you talk to him before the quest is offered, he's xenophobic as hell, so I knew that was going to go bad as soon as he wanted to have any allegedly friendly relations with aliens at all.

jonjonaug

Still can't get 15000 in a single return to get my skell license. Any suggestions? Any YouTube or pics of the probe layout?

I'm using the southwest corner of Primordia, got all my best probes linked up with a duplicator and booster however best I can manage, broke down all my mining probes, and still can't break 14,000.

Shit's getting annoying.

Make sure you're placing your research and duplicator probes on spots with sightseeing points on them (the number available and discovered is listed when you click on the probe, sightseeing points only count if they're discovered). They're almost pointless anywhere else. Make sure to read the descriptions of the research probes too. The higher the rank of the probe, the more cash you'll earn per sightseeing spot. Sightseeing spots are where the actual revenue comes in, the letter grade is almost worthless.

Primordia is bad for getting cash anyway. Noctilum and Oblivia are both much better.

-Horizon-

I am now worried about what that gerome dude who disappeared from the pizza place is doing.

Make sure you're placing your research and duplicator probes on spots with sightseeing points on them (the number available and discovered is listed when you click on the probe, sightseeing points only count if they're discovered). They're almost pointless anywhere else. Make sure to read the descriptions of the research probes too. The higher the rank of the probe, the more cash you'll earn per sightseeing spot. Sightseeing spots are where the actual revenue comes in, the letter grade is almost worthless.

Primordia is bad for getting cash anyway. Noctilum and Oblivia are both much better.

Hmm, gotta keep digging into Noticlum and Oblivia then. Most of those sites have D, E, or F for revenue, but I haven't really been paying enough attention to sightseeing points.

Edit: Just checked the handy link in the OP and have a strategy for Oblivia now. Should have my skell in no time.

All of Sylvalum is trying to kill me. At least Cauldros is up front about its dangers. I dont trust any rocks, trees, wreckage, anything in that damned place.

Golnei

Let it be known that the WiiU is incapable of rendering realistically appetizing tandoori chicken

They should have gotten assistance from Retro or Software Group 4 - they've proven it's possible to create realistic food on the Wii U. The food is probably the biggest thing holding Xenoblade back from being something close to a competent RPG. Compared to FFXV, it's clear what team has the better priorities.

Found the entrance to the giant sphere in Sylvalum and promptly noped the fuck out of there after getting the scenic view. Cant wait to fight that guy....in like 10 levels.

The visigels inside that giant sphere are an excellent source of Ultra Nebulan, if anyone was looking (gear with XV mods.)

Sirene, the Lost
is a bitch at that level. You've got to be a few levels higher to beat her, mostly because of the size differential. Keep in mind that it's not just level that matters, size does as well. I basically ignored that fight until the mid-20's and then just rolled it.

It really isn't? I rolled up 1 level lower, lost because I derped and missed like 5 Soul Voices in a row, came back 1 or 2 levels later and just beat it up.

and I haven't exactly been micromanaging equipment/arts either beyond just "keep them vaguely updated"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I kinda love how this game gates you from story profession and forces you into slowing things down a bit and engaging in side missions and exploration. Really enjoying it because I probably would not have done it otherwise.

I'm almost to "Lv 30, what should I do about my skeleton situation once I'm there? Should I save money or upgrade to medium or heavy skells, or some for my whole team first?

I also finished up another
orpheon mission, one of them went looking for the water but ended up dying but I managed to convince them to use the drop of water they found on themselves so that they could divide and live on. Took me a while to find another drop myself but now NLA is crawling with orpheons lol

WHAT!?
I chose to let him sacrifice himself because I thought it was one or the other. I mean, he only found a drop of the water so what were the odds of finding another? I would have gladly went the extra mile for that guy. I hate this game...

-Horizon-

All of Sylvalum is trying to kill me. At least Cauldros is up front about its dangers. I dont trust any rocks, trees, wreckage, anything in that damned place.
Welcome to Mira.
You see that rock? Its actual level 60. You see that tree branch? It can 1 hit KO you.

WHAT!?
I chose to let him sacrifice himself because I thought it was one or the other. I mean, he only found a drop of the water so what were the odds of finding another? I would have gladly went the extra mile for that guy. I hate this game...
I honestly didn't know what to do. I actually thought that if
I let the orpheon live the others back in NLA would hate me for 'going against logic' and screwing them over.
But man, that's not how my character rolls in this game, I'm not letting anyone die in front of me (unless they were a dick) even if there are negative consequences.
That's kind of the cool thing about this game. Your actions do have repercussions you can see in game and it will guilt trip the heck out of you one way or another.
I'm still waiting for that one mission about
the baby suids near NLA being spared to come to fruition lol

Sadist

Pfff, looking for intel on the "A false Hope" affinity mission is proving to be quite the problem as I can't find the informant. Anyone know where I have to look?

Golnei

WHAT!?

The willingness to kill off NPCs is one of the best parts about the game's quest design. Because there's very rarely anything in terms of gameplay consequences; they can take into account even seemingly inconsequential decisions. I hope we'll see more dead Nopon next game.

I changed my mind about Murderess needing to wear the Black Suit btw

School Blazer is better

It does flatter her yandere tendencies, but I'm okay with using up the school uniform on L. It actually fits him surprisingly well, especially with the round sunglasses.

-Horizon-

I kinda love how this game gates you from story profession and forces you into slowing things down a bit and engaging in side missions and exploration. Really enjoying it because I probably would not have done it otherwise.

I'm almost to "Lv 30, what should I do about my skeleton situation once I'm there? Should I save money or upgrade to medium or heavy skells, or some for my whole team first?

By the time I was level 30 and I could actually buy other mechs in armory alley, I was rolling in cash and could buy almost all the level 30 mechs available lol. And that's exactly what I did haha.

Getting 1 for each of your team members makes some of the difficult side missions so much more manageable.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
And here I am just finishing up.

Total playtime: 178 hours and 24 minutes.

Does anything special happen at 100% survey rate, or am I done outside of killing some of the hard to find Tyrants?

XBMhavy.jpg

Did you use a guide to 100% all the areas? Either way that is REALLY impressive.

zroid

Banned
It does flatter her yandere tendencies, but I'm okay with using up the school uniform on L. It actually fits him surprisingly well, especially with the round sunglasses.

lol I actually like L's default outfit, so I've been sticking with that for now. We'll see, though!

I think I gave him round sunglasses as well.

TheFatMan

By the time I was level 30 and I could actually buy other mechs in armory alley, I was rolling in cash and could buy almost all the level 30 mechs available lol. And that's exactly what I did haha.

Getting 1 for each of your team members makes some of the difficult side missions so much more manageable.

The level 30 skells make pretty much everything else a joke. I can take down enemies almost 15 levels above me with three level 30 heavy Skells. As long as they come one at a time.

I can only imagine how much destruction I will cause with a level 50 Skell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It really isn't? I rolled up 1 level lower, lost because I derped and missed like 5 Soul Voices in a row, came back 1 or 2 levels later and just beat it up.

and I haven't exactly been micromanaging equipment/arts either beyond just "keep them vaguely updated"

Really? I remember a lot of people getting rolled by that one in the early days of the game.

Did you use a guide to 100% all the areas? Either way that is REALLY impressive.

it is impossible to not to use guide to 100% within that completion time

Really? I remember a lot of people getting rolled by that one in the early days of the game.

it's more of "oh hey let's try this tyrant, level seems the same as the party" and then got caught by the surprise situation... you can't say the same to him ;)

-Horizon-

The level 30 skells make pretty much everything else a joke. I can take down enemies almost 15 levels above me with three level 30 heavy Skells. As long as they come one at a time.

For me, they never come one at a time ;~;

jonjonaug

I made it to about 98.5-99% completion on my own within 175 hours and used a guide to find remaining quests and tyrant locations. There was one tyrant in particular that I could never find the linked info piece for that turned out to have a certain weather condition, the one in the Weeping Whitewood. Another tyrant in Cauldros was always available, but there's two other tyrants in the area that I thought would have been the ones to count in that slot. A few quests have rather obscure ways of starting them, not all of the quest markers on the world map are linked to quests you can start in NLA and are also not always linked to the position where you start the quest. There's multiple quest markers in Sylvalum that are started in Oblivia from characters that only appear at a certain time of day. One quest involving a Nopon marriage in Sylvalum also had a rather obscure way of kicking it off that I wouldn't have figured out without a guide. Oblivia and NLA were all completed 100% without a guide for anything other than heart to heart times and locations. Primordia needed a guide for one quest, Noctilum and Cauldros for one tyrant location each (as well as a guide I found online for fighting the Telethia with the Ares 90 solo), and Sylvalum for three or four quests.

My final mark on the map was actually a sidequest in Primordia that starts out on the other side of the continent and has you kill a level 8 monster. It was kind of an underwhelming way to finish off the survey of Mira.

EDIT: Forgot that I also looked up help for stage four of the duel questline, since I was having trouble finding where the guy was in Cauldros to kick it off.

EDIT 2: Also one of the Professor B quests I used a guide for to find one of the collectibles. I'm pretty sure it's the only time I had to use a guide to locate a collectible location for a sidequest, the rest I figured out on my own (the game actually tells you where to find a lot of them if you talk to NPCs) or I already had the item in my inventory.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it's more of "oh hey let's try this tyrant, level seems the same as the party" and then got caught by the surprise situation... you can't say the same to him ;)

Haha, that was my thinking when I rolled up on her at lvl12. That thing put the fear of god into me, now I only go after tyrants after a bit of prep-time.

I actually took down a level 60 monster with four level 30 skells. One of those big patrolling insects. Their name escapes me.

It helped that I had somehow randomly stumbled upon both a Phoenix weapon and a G-Buster before I even got the skell licence. I was swapping weapons around and went :O

Not super rare versions or anything, but still!

rhandino

Banned
If you talk to him before the quest is offered, he's xenophobic as hell, so I knew that was going to go bad as soon as he wanted to have any allegedly friendly relations with aliens at all.
oh yes, I do like that if you talk to some NPCs before their sidequests you actually get some hints about them that help a bit during some sidequests.

Like, if you talk to an NPC called Suriella she mentions in a weird way how the lady in front of her was talking about her home on Planet Earth and then
during a sidequest you find out that she was a Definian spy all along

It's cute and also makes me want to speak to everyone after almost each chapter to see if their dialogue has changed.

I'm never going to finish this game T_T

Top Bottom