• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade in stock at many Gamestops for $90. Was it reprinted? Who knows!

kswiston

Umm.. I am barely winning an auction for it right now at $230. Auctions are usually ending in the $300 range or so (as this one likely will). I REALLY fail to see the problem with what you are trying to sarcastically suggest.

I'd have no problem with it. I don't really have a problem with them selling Xenoblade for $90 either. Ideally all of those games would be $10 on Virtual Console/PSN/Steam, but whatever gets a great game into the hands of more people is fine by me.

The outrage from other segments of our community would be amusing though.

cheapsuit

Neo Member
the vintage program isn't too surprising since they've offered NES/Genesis/SNES titles via the Power-up Rewards program before. For an insane amount of points if I remember (40,000 points for a SMB cartridge maybe?)

Sounds like they're just rolling out to everyone.

Malvingt2

GameStop explains Xenoblade pricing, Metroid Prime Trilogy and other “vintage titles” returning

GameStop regularly receives feedback from our PowerUp members regarding old titles they would us like to bring back, such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles. We were recently able to source a limited number of copies of this title to carry in our stores and online.

In fact, we have sourced several more vintage titles that we will be hitting stores in the coming months, including Metroid Prime Trilogy.

As always, our pricing for these games is competitive and is based on current market value driven by supply and demand. PowerUp Pro members always receive a 10% discount and earn PUR podints on pre-owned purchases.

http://nintendoeverything.com/games...e-trilogy-and-other-vintage-titles-returning/
http://kotaku.com/gamestop-90-xenoblade-is-based-on-current-market-val-1123377091

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'd have no problem with it. I don't really have a problem with them selling Xenoblade for $90 either. Ideally all of those games would be $10 on Virtual Console/PSN/Steam, but whatever gets a great game into the hands of more people is fine by me.

The outrage from other segments of our community would be amusing though.

yeah, I have no idea why the hell sega has released NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio on like 30 systems, but doesn't even do one basic port of Panzer Dragon Saga. I heard they supposedly had a port ready to go for the old Gametap service, but it was binned at the last moment. Not sure what the friggin deal is with the game.

really want to know what "sourced" means. If these are legitimately secured copies, I am all for this, "competitively priced" and all. If this is just them setting up a new GQD-like service, I would rather they just print "REPRINT FOOLS!!!!" across the cover and sell them for retail price.

edit - oh, your nintendoeverything article actually sources the kotaku article. FYI.

Looking forward the the Gamestop exclusive reprint of Panzer Dragoon Saga next year. All sold used for $149.95
Umm.. I am barely winning an auction for it right now at $230. Auctions are usually ending in the $300 range or so (as this one likely will). I REALLY fail to see the problem with what you are trying to sarcastically suggest.
Seriously. I would have gone crazy for that only like five years ago.
Because that's when I bought an eBay copy for about that price. <_<
And I know at least two friends who'd be all over it, now, too.

Me, I'd probably be more after Snatcher - now that one would be pretty easy to reprint, boxes and manuals aside.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Woopsie, guess it's time to sell my extra Metroid Prime Trilogy copy! (found it in a yard sale)

big_erk

My wife keeps telling me I should sell my copy. I can't bring myself to part with it. It is my most prized gaming possession.

borghe

Ill be dropping on that metroid for sure.

there are actually two copies near me.. thinking about my PUR discount and birthday coupon to snag one of them provided there is a NM copy.

My wife keeps telling me I should sell my copy. I can't bring myself to part with it. It is my most prized gaming possession.

lol.. my current most prized possession is, sadly, Gamecube component cables. I don't even have a Gamecube currently, but keep asking myself "yeah dummy, but what if you buy one again!? Then what!?!?"

Dave Long

Banned
yeah, I have no idea why the hell sega has released NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio on like 30 systems, but doesn't even do one basic port of Panzer Dragon Saga. I heard they supposedly had a port ready to go for the old Gametap service, but it was binned at the last moment. Not sure what the friggin deal is with the game.

really want to know what "sourced" means. If these are legitimately secured copies, I am all for this, "competitively priced" and all. If this is just them setting up a new GQD-like service, I would rather they just print "REPRINT FOOLS!!!!" across the cover and sell them for retail price.

edit - oh, your nintendoeverything article actually sources the kotaku article. FYI.
I think these are legitimate refurbs of some kind. It doesn't make sense that it's a reprint, because if it was then there would be a hell of a lot more of them available. These seem to be coming in ones or twos to each store, right? That's max of like 10k copies of the game that are appearing in stores right now. They say they have 6,100 stores.

Jawmuncher

there are actually two copies near me.. thinking about my PUR discount and birthday coupon to snag one of them provided there is a NM copy.
"

I regret never buying it when I saw it before used at gamestop. Back when the price was only 60. It was like new condition to

blackflag

So glad I picked Xenoblade and Metroid prime trilogy from them a few months ago when they were having b2g1. I believe MPS was 50 or 60 used and Xenoblade was still 40(I think)

kswiston

I have a few "prized" games. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Suikoden 2, and E.V.O. for example. I also have a bunch of stuff that sells in the $40-75 range. If I ever think of selling them, I just remember that a few hundred dollars is like 2 weeks worth of rent, and that I would be happier with the games than a small sum of cash that wouldn't change my life situation in any way.

borghe

Metroid Prime Trilogy looks like it's actually rolling out now. Forever the game hasn't been available by me (within the 100 mile default radius). Like one every few months. Now last week there was one (pretty normal). Then the end of last week there were two (sort of rare). Now this week there are 7 stores within 100 miles that have a copy. It has NEVER been in stock like this before.

pikablu

They can't all be refurbished if the Nintendo code still hasn't been used.

I'm not defending gamestop at all, I actually believe that they are behind all of this and that some of the games are probably new, BUT

I don't see how a Nintendo code not being used makes it definite that it can't be refurbished. A lot of people are too lazy to input those or don't see the need to because they only purchase 1 or 2 games for nintendo systems a year.

I'm not defending gamestop at all, I actually believe that they are behind all of this and that some of the games are probably new, BUT

I don't see how a Nintendo code not being used makes it definite that it can't be refurbished. A lot of people are too lazy to input those or don't see the need to because they only purchase 1 or 2 games for nintendo systems a year.

Yup, many used Nintendo games from ebay come with an unused club nintendo code.

But this program from Gamestop is not limited to Xenoblade. They stated that they will be getting into the business of obtaining and selling special/rare merchandise to collectors and enthusiasts. They can't just go to every single publisher and ask for new copies just to sell them as used with a special mark up.

Chris R

Well it looks like I missed my window to sell my copy of Xenoblade and Metroid Trilogy :( Should have beat them quicker, I'm close on Xenoblade but Metroid is basically untouched.

GameStop's use of the word source and Nintendo's refusal to comment seem to make it pretty clear that this is a reprint.

Their use of the word "source" isn't specific to Xenoblade, it's in reference to the "vintage collection" program in general. And along the use of that word, they mention the condition of the product and its refurbishment. And NOA's silence isn't an indication that their hiding a reprint, nor do they have a motive to reprint the game and not announce it, or even sell it on their own online website - just like they did the first time.

So it's not "pretty clear"

People will bitch about anything. Haha
I'm sure this has already been beaten into the ground, but if people are snatching it up this quickly, there's nothing wrong with the $90 price tag. Simple economics, people. Do I like Gamestop? Not particularly. But they're selling what the people want, regardless of the guise of new/used.

And honestly depending on how this goes it could very well LOWER prices on harder to find games. I know a lot of hard to find PS2 games such as Devil Summoner got shipped back to warehouses from talks with some managers in my area, so it makes sense that they may be trying to figure out the best way to competitively price these titles. Hell, in Australia GameStops still have 16-bit games and the like, if miracle of miracles they started stocking complete copies of some SNES RPGs for a price below the average eBay they'd proabably STILL make a killing. Smart move overall. It also adds value to PUR. I mean, I never used a damn coupon on a thing prior to buying Xenoblade, so there is that.

So here's a question what games might fall under this vintage collection?

Yeah, honestly I have yet to buy a used title from GameStop that DIDN'T have a valid Club Nintendo code. I haven't bought tons, mainly OOP DS games, but all of them were pretty good condition with the codes untouched. CN is popular here, but most people don't even think about it.

Their use of the word "source" isn't specific to Xenoblade, it's in reference to the "vintage collection" program in general. And along the use of that word, they mention the condition of the product and its refurbishment. And NOA's silence isn't an indication that their hiding a reprint, nor do they have a motive to reprint the game and not announce it, or even sell it on their own online website - just like they did the first time.

So it's not "pretty clear"

According to the comment given to Kotaku, GS says, "GameStop regularly receives feedback from our PowerUp members regarding old titles they would us like to bring back, such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles. We were recently able to source a limited number of copies of this title to carry in our stores and online."

Also, regarding the refurbishment issue with the article you're quoting, Raines also said, "We also have relationships with every major publisher in the world and console maker in the world, that we can talk to about what they have and what they can make."

If this is a reprint couldn't they have just sold them sealed? I guess opening the box means they can charge more but I think the people buying them would just prefer the sealed case. I can't believe I'm actually considering getting Prime Trilogy for that price.

Seik

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SEGA lost the game's code.

Yeah, it's dumb like that.

Mentioned in the other thread, this "Vintage" program strikes me as institutional price-gouging.
Capitalism at work!

I mean, at least they're printing more copies. It would be nice if businesses weren't essentially rich sociopaths, but that's the society we've created.

kswiston

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SEGA lost the game's code.

Yeah, it's dumb like that.

Losing the game's code wouldn't prevent an emulated re-release. Basically a disk ISO packaged in an emulator shell, with a work-around to the disk swapping.

It's something that supports these being used copies, IMO.

There's no way. The volume we're talking about at this point is much too high. Indications seem to be that just about every GameStop in the US got a copy of the game as part of this push -- that's upwards of 5,000 copies, far too many to have reclaimed through the buyback program (especially since there's no evidence of disc-only copies anywhere.)

Combine that with the different cases (which you have yet to offer a convincing explanation for) and the carefully-worded Gamestop statement ("sourced" rather than "bought back") and the evidence is pretty overwhelming that we're looking at new stock here. It was certainly reasonable to guess that these were used originally, but at this point the evidence seems pretty clear.

Tripon

Capitalism at work!

I mean, at least they're printing more copies. It would be nice if businesses weren't essentially rich sociopaths, but that's the society we've created.

Not every company is like that, some companies actually try to do things that help give value to consumers, because they know they can make profit that way. Costco for example.

Tripon

There's no way. The volume we're talking about at this point is much too high. Indications seem to be that just about every GameStop in the US got a copy of the game as part of this push -- that's upwards of 5,000 copies, far too many to have reclaimed through the buyback program (especially since there's no evidence of disc-only copies anywhere.)

Combine that with the different cases (which you have yet to offer a convincing explanation for) and the carefully-worded Gamestop statement ("sourced" rather than "bought back") and the evidence is pretty overwhelming that we're looking at new stock here. It was certainly reasonable to guess that these were used originally, but at this point the evidence seems pretty clear.

After thinking about it, the really messed up thing is that if the reprinting part is true (And I personally think it is), it means that either Gamestop ordered a reprint so small that wouldn't satisfy demand for the game, or they're still intentionally holding back stock for later when this initial reprint eventually sells out.

Gamestop is basically turning the retail business model upside where somehow a used version cost more than a new version, not because there's no way to create new copies, but because they have created a distortion in the market.

QaaQer

No, based on the revelation of their new "vintage collection" program, it looks like they are actually doing the work of obtaining and consolidating used copies, refurbishing them to make them look nice and presentable and then selling them at a mark up.

I was kind of laughed at earlier by a poster for suggesting that it was a possibility, that they'd do this... as opposed to buying a shipment of reprints from nintendo, removing the shrinkwrap and selling for $40 above MSRP. The latter is the sleazy thing.

yeah, cuz pr is all about getting the truthfacts out there. :eyeroll:

fates

Said in the other thread, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo isn't involved here in some way. These copies had to come from somewhere... and if someone's printing Xenoblade copies without Nintendo involvement that obviously wouldn't fly and be shutdown on the spot. Wonder if gaming journalists will try to pry into it because a consumer posting on a message board virtually has no voice.

And if Nintendo did restock them normally, and Gamestop is gutting them and gouging the prices, wouldn't that be... not cool with Nintendo?

Said in the other thread, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo isn't involved here in some way.

As I said in the other thread, upon consideration I bet this is an older reprint that Nintendo sold through their copies of but Gamestop sat on in anticipation of a price rise.

Miletius

I went ahead and picked up a copy of Xenoblade. It does look like they are rolling out copies of MPT too, now, which is a shame because I should probably pick it up at some point. I used a coupon to get it though, and they probably wouldn't do an exchange and rebuy for B2 get 1 Free, with the coupon not even knowing what I'd get free.

Oh well, I'm still happy with my overall purchase.

If they do the same for MPT I might actually have to bite...

Are they showing up in stores yet? The site doesn't show any copies within 30 miles of me.

Persona7

Banned
So it is a Reprint that wasn't sealed that GS is selling as pre owned to garner most of the profit?

Selling a new game as used does not give gamestop more profit. Even if the game was sealed and sold as NEW they could have sold it at whatever price they wanted.

borghe

As I said in the other thread, upon consideration I bet this is an older reprint that Nintendo sold through their copies of but Gamestop sat on in anticipation of a price rise.

Shady as fuck, and goddamn Nintendo for not addressing it.
meh.. if we are talking about last year like Charlequin is speculating, I REALLY fail to see the outrage against gamestop here.

Let's go with Charlequin's guess of ~10%.. so like 5-6K. Now let's say they put those all of those out on Gamestop.com last November or so. Where does that leave us now? Honestly, nowhere different, oh EXCEPT prices would still be $110-125 opened $175-200 new/unopened AND we would still be left with either ebay or Amazon.

Instead we now have prices dropping (for now) and WIDE availability of the game across the country (for now).

So yeah, had the put this reprint on shelves back in Nov for $50.. it would have gotten out to more people, probably not scalped quite as hard as they would be now, etc.

But right NOW, the story would be largely the same as it was early last week.

And for the most part, most people (like myself) aren't saying "MOTHER F%&^ER!! I've been trying to buy this game for a year now!!! WTF GAMESTOP!!?!?!?" Most are saying "gahh... I put it off for so long and here's where I am now." Had gamestop put them out in November (or whenever), there's a good chance us same folks buying them now wouldn't have bought them then.

Just something to think about.

I honestly believe the issue here is "lulz gamestop" 100 times more than it is with what is actually being done with the pricing and availability of the game.. and that is actually a shame.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Selling a new game as used does not give gamestop more profit. Even if the game was sealed and sold as NEW they could have sold it at whatever price they wanted.

I think it's just a question of image. They COULD sell new copies for $90, but that would look really shady. By pretending they're used, most costumer can assume it's a very hard to find game that they were lucky to find somewhere. Super-hardcore gamers on Neogaf know it's a disguised reprint, but most other costumers won't have a clue.

borghe

How does GS profit work on a game they deem as used?

you just have to look at how acquisition and sale works.

they acquire a game from place A for price X.
they then sell game to a customer for price X * Y% (markup)

for a new game
A = publisher
X = wholesale cost to publisher
Y = MSRP / wholesale_cost (margin)

for a used game
A = trade-in customer
X = trade-in value
Y = desired margin (usually 150-160% markup)

in this case
A = Nintendo
X = here is where it gets sketchy. either this is going to be wholesale cost to nintendo, or licensing costs plus manufacturing/distribution costs if GameStop is in fact the distributor for the game.
Y = $90

So being a trade-in or new game doesn't affect "what percentage" gamestop gets. They simply buy all of their games for a price either from customers or publishers, and then sell games for a price, either MSRP, discount/sale price, or market value.

I think it's just a question of image. They COULD sell new copies for $90, but that would look really shady. By pretending they're used, most costumer can assume it's a very hard to find game that they were lucky to find somewhere. Super-hardcore gamers on Neogaf know it's a disguised reprint, but most other costumers won't have a clue.

eh, I really don't think it's anywhere near as shady as that. The more likely scenario is that there are pricing laws in some state somewhere dictating some sort of thing, or offering price matching/protection, etc. There are also credit cards that offer similar protection.. So if Gamestop offered it "New" for $90, a lot of credit cards, if you can find a listing online for $50 but out of stock, the credit card will still match like-kind and chargeback the difference to gamestop, etc.

Selling them used is probably more about legally CYA with various consumer protection laws/practices than actually trying to deceive anyone. Just my guess.

edit - in regards to the above, if that's the case, designating new/used isn't really any shadier than like electronics manufacturers designating a model going to Sears as AXH-1000S and a model going to Best Buy as AXH-1000B to prevent price matching, something they've been doing for decades. Or manufacturing the exact same product under different subsidiary companies and stocking them at different stores to accomplish the same thing.

Dave Long

Banned
The fact that selling at $50 would have resulted in even more scalping is the most important point, even if this is a reprint, which I'm not convinced at all that it is.

DigitalOp

Banned
Hmm... Well I think I may have some time to grab this and MPT before I go get a Wii U...

Its gonna be so expensive trying to set up my Super Wii........

It's a valid, but extremely disgusting tactic, if all the talk of GS gutting new copies to sell them as used is true. I'm not really sure what to think about this... There could be more to it than meets the eye.

I just wish Nintendo would do something about this, maybe put the game up for digital release. There's obviously still demand for it if GS is selling it this way. Maybe there's behind-the-scenes politics that we don't know about?

borghe

It's a valid, but extremely disgusting tactic, if all the talk of GS gutting new copies to sell them as used is true. I'm not really sure what to think about this...

I just wish Nintendo would do something about this, maybe put the game up for digital release. There's obviously still demand for it if GS is selling it this way. Maybe there's behind-the-scenes politics that we don't know about?

no, no behind the scenes politics. Plain and simple Nintendo has no way to sell digital copies of retail Wii games right now. Wii Menu isn't built to do it, and the Wii itself only has 512MB of storage. Nintendo would likely NEVER alter Wii Menu in any way shape or form from how it currently is due to the trivial nature of hacking Wii (and the likelihood of any sort of conduit back to Wii U being exploited by homebrew)

Two best bets are:

Wii U downloadable that is essentially a Wii virtual machine built around individual titles. Probably possible with some work. Would also enable them to release any "classic" title in this way (or allow third parties to as well with licensing).

Wii U HD "remaster". Of course would need to justify such a thing with potential sales (for Xenoblade I don't see it being much of a problem if timed around the release of X)

Either way it is certainly possible for them to release the game digitally.. just neither method is trivial. And with the dire problems Nintendo is facing with Wii U right now, I don't really think such a thought is on their mind currently.

isual

Bumped this old thread as I was reading it while in bed.

3 months later:

Game is now 60 but 40 due to the black Friday sale. Seems that they re printed a ton of these or no one was buying them at 90usd

Top Bottom