• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade in stock at many Gamestops for $90. Was it reprinted? Who knows!

Eh, there are plenty of copies on Ebay going for under $90, check out the "Sold Listings." Gamestop's price isn't really "low."

There are also plenty more that went above. Let's not pretend that Gamestop going nationwide @ $89.99/$80.99 (for millions of subscribers) for a little while isn't going to impact ended auctions.

hlhbk

Ebay auctions (avoid Buy It Now). Like I said, plenty of copies are going for under $90 on there. 5 of the last 6 copies sold in the last few days have gone for less than $90, two were disc only and went for under $80.

Everything currently out there are going for 90+ and you have to pay shipping.

Eusis

With the amount of copies on the market, I highly doubt its the 3rd option.
The more people like the game the more likely they'll retain it. I think there's a few hundred thousand copies of Suikoden 2 yet it goes for obscene amounts on eBay, and FFVII sold MILLIONS but come Advent Children you were lucky to get under $40 for it online. Even now the cheapest for FFVII on Amazon is $24.99 Used.

We had the one person with a pristine copy noting he's heard from others that they weren't so lucky, and anyways the second can be SORT OF true by having new copies sitting idle somewhere in, say, Montana with no one buying them, before finally shuffling them to the North East or the West Coast.

flyover

Be very interesting (in a bad way) if GS is trial ballooning a Ticketmaster strategy.

They may have a deal with Nintendo that they can only sell the game new for retail price. So, they pay Nintendo once to get the game in stock, and then they "buy" it from themselves, at retail, because they know they can then sell it as a used game for an even bigger margin. You'd only want to do this with games you're pretty sure you can resell, of which Xenoblade is definitely one.

kswiston

Ebay auctions (avoid Buy It Now). Like I said, plenty of copies are going for under $90 on there. 5 of the last 6 copies sold in the last few days have gone for less than $90, two were disc only and went for under $80.

It's Ebay. All of the "cheap" copies probably had $15-20 shipping and handling.

hlhbk

Has anyone else bought the $90 copy from Gamestop? Can they confirm they are in mint condition with unused club codes?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are also plenty more that went above. Let's not pretend that Gamestop going nationwide @ $89.99/$80.99 (for millions of subscribers) for a little while isn't going to impact ended auctions.

If you're impatient (or a subscriber) then that works. But it's not like if you don't use Gamestop you're going to have to pay significantly more.

It's the weekend. Find some that end midweek very late at night/early in the morning and those are where you'll get the best deals.

Please yourself. Sounds like you are ready. Secure the best discount you can and get in there and lose yourself for a hundred hours. Disc only for under $80 is one of the flimsier reasons against that I have heard.

Bururian

16 GameStops in my area all of sudden all have used only copies. That's so much bullshit for $90 a pop. A sudden surge of copies should drive the price DOWN.

man i been sitting on this game since it was launched here maybe played a half hour of it... I should get on with it, its sitting on the same shelf as an almost mint used copy of suikoden 2, that I probably put 15 minutes into...

Anteo

16 GameStops in my area all of sudden all have used only copies. That's so much bullshit for $90 a pop. A sudden surge of copies should drive the price DOWN.

Dont worry, if no one buys the game, it will go down in a couple of weeks. Supply and Demand my friend. However if the copies are sold out in like 5 days, welp..

Bururian

Dont worry, if no one buys the game, it will go down in a couple of weeks. Supply and Demand my friend. However if the copies are sold out in like 5 days, welp..

Reminds me when I purchased a used copy of Rez from GameStop back in 2006, It was $40. The next day, an employee told me that the price jumped up to $70 used.

This is nothing new. GS did this with SMT: Nocturne years ago, and the'll do it again as long as people keep paying their ridiculous prices.

moral: if you want a niche game late in a console's life cycle, buy it on launch day or be prepare to pay out the nose for it down the road.

Wait, how much would it be if you're a Powerup Rewards member?

$81.

kswiston

Those games will be sold out in two weeks. The game is in demand, and a few thousand copies isn't enough to drastically change that. People from Red Flag Deals and similar communities will buy up these copies using coupons and other discounts, and then sell them for $20-30 profit in a couple months.

Those games will be sold out in two weeks. The game is in demand, and a few thousand copies isn't enough to drastically change that. People from Red Flag Deals and similar communities will buy up these copies using coupons and other discounts, and then sell them for $20-30 profit in a couple months.

Unless Gamestop has suddenly released some warehouse stock because DD or reprint is coming, this temporary pricing may soon be lamented as a bargain for those who didn't make the move in time. Ebay will be a lot less kind when Gamestop dries up again, and they will dry up again, barring a reprint.

Fox Mulder

I might pull the trigger online with some discounts, but I'm not guaranteed a great copy am I? At least going to the store will allow me to look at the condition, I don't want to be shipped a shitty quality game in a generic gamestop case for this much money. I've never bought a used game through their website before.

Admittedly this seems to be a special case due to the retailer exclusive angle.

It's not really a special case because other Nintendo stuff like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is also wildly expensive. The proximate cause of all of this is Nintendo's perverse refusal to print to demand or to allow titles to sell at reduced prices.

What happened to GQD?

Nothing happened to them. The PS3/360 just have very few niche titles that are in enough demand to require this kind of treatment (and Nintendo are dicks about it so they can't reprint the first-party Wii stuff). They've actually kept doing PS2 reprints; Devil Summoner Raidou 1+2 just got dumped back on the market recently.

kswiston

It's not really a special case because other Nintendo stuff like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is also wildly expensive. The proximate cause of all of this is Nintendo's perverse refusal to print to demand or to allow titles to sell at reduced prices.

When did Radiant Dawn shoot up in price? I used to see it hanging around local EB Games for $10 used a year or two ago.

narton

I think gamestop also did this with Virtue's Last Reward for 3DS recently. Not too long ago it shot up to the top of the used game charts on their website, and there was a copy in my local store, when there had never been one before. I bough it "used," but the club nintendo code worked. It was gutted, but still.

Of course, it was still at the normal price of 34.99. So I'm glad I picked it up.

hlhbk

I just got the call and my copy of the game is being held at my local gamestop. I hate they did this but I really want to own a copy fo the game and I can play it on my Wii U since there is nothing to play on it now anyways.

I will post picks regarding condition of the game and case later this evening.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
http://www.siliconera.com/2006/01/16/the-business-of-reprints/

What happened to GQD? Their site is still up and it looks like they're still selling games.

There needs to be a company dedicated to digital "reprints". That is, getting super-niche games from Japanese publishers onto XBLM / PSN so I can finally play them. I'm looking at you, Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories.

$200+ for an English copy. The translation isn't even great.

I share your pain on this specific title, which haunts me.

I just got the call and my copy of the game is being held at my local gamestop. I hate they did this but I really want to own a copy fo the game and I can play it on my Wii U since there is nothing to play on it now anyways.

I will post picks regarding condition of the game and case later this evening.

wut

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Has anyone else bought the $90 copy from Gamestop? Can they confirm they are in mint condition with unused club codes?
Can't speak for shipping from .com, but the store I bought from today was pristine. Skyward Sword flyer, club code, flawless disc. I did call another store after reading this thread and the copy they had was disc, case but no manual/inserts. So YMMV

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You've gone on a few times about these used auctions.. So let me tell YOU a story..

I've bid on this game for the last 2 or so months on ebay. First a about an $80 max bid, and in the past month about a $95 max bid. Guess who just bought one of these copies today? That's right, the guy who hasn't won an auction on the game yet because it's been going for over $100.

What you are seeing "the last couple of days" as you put it is the fact that this first appeared at GameStop.com a few days ago online. The difference between that and today is that now these are available in store.

And most of those auctions still ended up around $80-90 and still have shipping on most of them. I got my copy for $81 not even bothering with coupons. You could get this from .com pretty easy for $60something, and probably in the store for $60something if you have PUR points to redeem or a coupon.

The only indignation here is the tin foil hat conspiracy that this is a reprint. But most signs point to it being a result of the trade-in campaign. Yes it sucks that this is the situation. But a lot of classic Wii games are falling into the high price range. Fire Emblem, SMG2, Pokemon Battle Revolution, obviously Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc. the console is EOL and these games aren't becoming less rare. It's just how it goes. Look at PS1 games like Tales of Destiny or other first party bungles like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Persona7

Banned
Gamestop has been known to gut sealed copies of reprinted games and sell them used . I actually witnessed it and when I asked the employee was acting really weird. I'll dig up the post I made about that when I get a chance.

Gamestop has been known to gut sealed copies of reprinted games and sell them used . I actually witnessed it and when I asked the employee was acting really weird. I'll dig up the post I made about that when I get a chance.

It's true, I did it many times when I worked there. We'd open the stores and queue up the POS, and on some days we'd get a SKU conversion to perform. Most of the times it was really old sports games that had no chance in hell of selling a new copy, but every now and then we would get copies of games like Digital Devil Saga in and have to gut them.

OT: This thread depressed the fuck out of me. I was ready to hop into my car and pick up a brand new copy of Xenoblade for only fifty bones. :(

Definitely a reprint. All of my local GameStops have been OOS for months (I've been checking over the past few days), today they all have a copy in-stock.

EDIT: And yeah, their MO on previous reprints (including the recent Ace Attorney reprint) is to gut the incoming copies and sell them as used. It's generally not much of a problem, since their used prices tend to be lower than the original MSRP, but recently, they've been pricing very rare games like Xenoblade and MPT well above their original MSRP, making this practice a bit rotten for any reprints of those.

hlhbk

Just got back. Here are the pics of my copy. Lighting isn't the best. The case and disc are spot on perfect. Also the club nintendo code was unused. This completes my holy trinity of rare games: Panzer Dragoon Saga US, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Xenoblade.

8tt.jpg

Just got back. Here are the pics of my copy. Lighting isn't the best. The case and disc are spot on perfect. Also the club nintendo code was unused. This completes my holy trinity of rare games: Panzer Dragoon Saga US, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Xenoblade.

Great for you. Enjoy. There is no downside.

Bungie's

Those that shop and trade in games at Gamestop know that all these copies are not from trade ins. When you trade in a game it's immediateatly put out on the floor and not shipped to some warehouse. The game has also been instock online with a limit of 10 since Tuesday. This is a reprint or Nintendo found a few thousand copies and gave them to Gamestop to sell.

Top Bottom