• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

AniHawk

You should probably put the part I spoiler tagged in tags. Just the fact that
you've implied that people might be able to guess who the 7th party member is
is a bit of a spoiler.

i got the plot twist
at prison island waaaaaay back when the guy who becomes metal face had all the lasers pointed on him. i was thinking, eh he's probably not dead. then the metal face shows up and targets dunban's sister in particular and then they had the exact same voice.

so... yeah. i don't actually have the seventh character in my party yet, but i'm betting it's kos-mos. i would actually be surprised if it was alvis.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i got the plot twist
at prison island waaaaaay back when the guy who becomes metal face had all the lasers pointed on him. i was thinking, eh he's probably not dead. then the metal face shows up and targets dunban's sister in particular and then they had the exact same voice.

so... yeah. i don't actually have the seventh character in my party yet, but i'm betting it's kos-mos. i would actually be surprised if it was alvis.

It's just a plot twist. There are many many twist left to come..

AniHawk

I am still only 17 hours, so I have barely explored yet, but from the looks of it, the world that you can travel around seems biggest of any JRPG I have ever played.

So I was wondering is this probably the biggest JRPG world ever created?(that you can actually travel around) How bout against western games like Skyrim or World of Warcraft.

maybe? i remember that final fantasy xii and dragon quest viii were pretty big too.

AniHawk

It's just a plot twist. There are many many twist left to come..

my guess, having looked no further than where i am right now:

shulk is the spirit of the bionis and fiora is the spirit of the mechonis, and the two of them have to bring peace to the land or something.

not asking if i'm warm or cold here, just making a guess off of things in the game and what people have said here about their feelings towards later plot twists.

burgerdog

I think accepting exclusionary quests locks out the other option. Though I'm not 100% sure of that.

I saw him walking around before I started the quest off the girl and he wouldn't start the quest either. I think you're supposed to talk to girl > boy > quest item > decide. I did girl > quest item > checked with boy / quest locked out it seems. Well, at least I'm hoping that the former is right, I tested it with Big Brother/Little Brother quest and I was able to accept the other before getting the quest item.

Don't know when I'll get the time to play it, but finally picked up a copy at Gamestop tonight. On the positive side, the sales rep was trying to hype up a pre-order for Last Story. Must've been the first time I've been happy to see them pushing a pre-order.

So I have a question. I have been doing about maybe 40-50% of the side quests in this game. I haven't really even worked on my affinity at all. I don't really plan on it. I'm always about a level or two above zone I'm in. If I continue at this playstyle will I have trouble with the end game? (About 13 hours in).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Anyone know how well this has sold in the US? I'm really interested.

Toth

my guess, having looked no further than where i am right now:

shulk is the spirit of the bionis and fiora is the spirit of the mechonis, and the two of them have to bring peace to the land or something.

not asking if i'm warm or cold here, just making a guess off of things in the game and what people have said here about their feelings towards later plot twists.

Without spoiling too much, you will be surprised at what happens. Good guess though.

Doorman

So this game continues to eat just about all of my free time. I finally made it to the Sea tonight and it definitely looks like there's a long way to go yet. And...I really hope there is, for the story's sake.

Still a lot that I like about the game, but I do have to admit that the characters so far haven't interested me all that much. I'm hoping that they get a bit deeper with that sort of stuff as the story moves along because they all feel very stock thusfar.

So this game continues to eat just about all of my free time. I finally made it to the Sea tonight and it definitely looks like there's a long way to go yet. And...I really hope there is, for the story's sake.

Still a lot that I like about the game, but I do have to admit that the characters so far haven't interested me all that much. I'm hoping that they get a bit deeper with that sort of stuff as the story moves along because they all feel very stock thusfar.

You still have a long way to go.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

If you've just reached the Eryth Sea, you're probably
about a third of the way there.
But it varies depending on your love of side questing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you've just reached the Eryth Sea, you're probably
about a third of the way there.
But it varies depending on your love of side questing.

Wow, really? This game is nuts, haha.

I'm a little bit past that,
currently in the tomb as everyone sans Melia after playing as her
and figured I was near halfway. I'm planning on doing most of the sidequests as well.

Hiltz

So I have a question. I have been doing about maybe 40-50% of the side quests in this game. I haven't really even worked on my affinity at all. I don't really plan on it. I'm always about a level or two above zone I'm in. If I continue at this playstyle will I have trouble with the end game? (About 13 hours in).

Well, affnity is important because it what determines if your party will be given the opportunity to perform 1 or more extra chain attacks during battle (refered to as a chain link). So if everyone in your assigned party has maximum affinity, then you'll likely be given the chance to do freebie chain attacks after the first chain attack ends.

The characters used in your assigned party will gradually gain affinity just by doing battles and sidequests. However, the process of increasing affinity is pretty slow so you have to have patience. You can still resort to relying on this primary method even when you get new playable characters and decide to change up your party every now and then. Naturally, the longer you keep using the same characters in your party, then the more affinity they will earn over time.

As an option, you can manually increase affinity by giving away collectible items as "gifts" to characters regardless of whether they are in your currently assigned character or not. It definetly helps speed up the process of increasing affinity, but it requires A TON of collectibles. Some collectibles will give a low amount of affinity points while others (unfortunately the rarer ones) will give out much more affinity.

note: Whenever you press the "B"button during battle, it's helping your party increase affinity as indicated by heart icons floating above their heads. For sidequests, heart icons will also appear to be floating above the heads of the characters in your party. That's how you can tell when your gaining affinity. Checking out the affinity chart with the happy faces on it with your character portraits displayed, will show what level each character's affinity is based on their relationships with the other characters.

Jhoan

I got this game on Tuesday; it's had an iron grip on me all week long. Holy crap! This game is amazingly good and addictive. I missed a class on Wednesday because I played until sunrise. The classic controller is a god send for this game. I just hate the fact that the wire is so short and that it's tethered to the Wii remote.

The music is fantastic, the environments are gorgeous (it took a bit of time to adjust to the visual downgrade after playing Red Dead Redemption before I popped it in; I'm using Composite cables) and the characters are decent if a bit typical; they look like Final Fantasy XII characters.

I'm currently up to
the Colony 6 mine.
I just hate the fact that all the side quests are either fetch quests or kill x amount of things quests. It reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur in that sense. Thankfully, there's a fast traveling and a time setting option which makes things easier. I love every second of it; the story is good enough to keep me interested in finding out what's going to happen next. About 18 hours in or so.

I'm having trouble trying to find this one monster for a side quest. The monster is supposed to be near the Colony 9 park, but I never found it. Where can I find it?

Hiltz

this game has the most hilarious jumping animation.

It is strangely amusing.

I got this game on Tuesday; it's had an iron grip on me all week long. Holy crap! This game is amazingly good and addictive. I missed a class on Wednesday because I played until sunrise. The classic controller is a god send for this game. I just hate the fact that the wire is so short and that it's tethered to the Wii remote.

The music is fantastic, the environments are gorgeous (it took a bit of time to adjust to the visual downgrade after playing Red Dead Redemption before I popped it in; I'm using Composite cables) and the characters are decent if a bit typical; they look like Final Fantasy XII characters.

I'm currently up to
the Colony 6 mine.
I just hate the fact that all the side quests are either fetch quests or kill x amount of things quests. It reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur in that sense. Thankfully, there's a fast traveling and a time setting option which makes things easier. I love every second of it; the story is good enough to keep me interested in finding out what's going to happen next. About 18 hours in or so.

I'm having trouble trying to find this one monster for a side quest. The monster is supposed to be near the Colony 9 park, but I never found it. Where can I find it?

We're pleased to hear that you're enjoying the game so far. It's seriously criminal to think that Nintendo nearly passed up on releasing this awesome game here.

I think the monster you are looking for in Colony 9's Outlook Park appears in
the water at night underneath the park. This is for the monster called Lake Magdalena. Try jumping between the staircases that lead up to the park's location to find it.

why cant i find you ice cabbage :’(

There's a particular place where you should find at least one. I normally get like 2 each time I did it.

Spoilers (I suppose): http://minus.com/mXuxtcYTL/1f

The red line means you can find a very small pathway there. The lava cave also works, but I had less luck there.

Jump in the big hole near the park, you will fall in the water. The monster is there.

Korosenai

I was just going through this thread, and got up to page 17 with the kotaku review and secretmoblin posted that the reviewer only played 35 hours.

This is what he said "After 35 hours, I felt I had seen enough to decide whether or not to recommend the game to people. I'm sorry if you don't think that's fair. In an ideal world, I'd have hundreds of hours to spend on RPGs every week! In the real world, that's sadly not possible."

Ummm, you're a video game reviewer. That's your job, to play the games and then review them. So in the real world you should have more than 35 hours to play the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was just going through this thread, and got up to page 17 with the kotaku review and secretmoblin posted that the reviewer only played 35 hours.

This is what he said "After 35 hours, I felt I had seen enough to decide whether or not to recommend the game to people. I'm sorry if you don't think that's fair. In an ideal world, I'd have hundreds of hours to spend on RPGs every week! In the real world, that's sadly not possible."

Ummm, you're a video game reviewer. That's your job, to play the games and then review them. So in the real world you should have more than 35 hours to play the game.

Well, it's Kotaku, it's entirely possible the reviewer had a day-job at McDonalds taking up his time that would otherwise be spent playing the game.

StAidan

I got my delivery from Nintendo a couple weeks ago, but just started this week. I'm less than 3 hours in and it'll probably take me a good 6 months or more to make it through this dang game, because my gaming time is rarely more than 30-45 minutes at a time (and not necessarily every day). Plus I'm still playing a lot of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Anyway, I've always had a soft spot for JRPGs but haven't played many because of the time investment. To give an idea of how much of a jump Xenoblade is for me: The most recent RPG I played before this one is Final Fantasy III (DS remake), and before that I'd only played RPGs on NES/SNES.

Given my history, you guys can imagine I'm basically in shock at how far JRPGs have evolved over the years.

The voice acting is great (I even like the battle chatter), the soundtrack incredible... And although I've only played up through the first story-based quest (
I got the cylinder and saw the Mechon attack Colony 9
), I can already tell this game has some awesome vistas in store.

Given my history, you guys can imagine I'm basically in shock at how far JRPGs have evolved over the years.

The voice acting is great (I even like the battle chatter), the soundtrack incredible... And although I've only played up through the first story-based quest (
I got the cylinder and saw the Mechon attack Colony 9
), I can already tell this game has some awesome vistas in store.

<_< you wouldn't be saying that if you played ff13, Xenoblade the best RPG we had for a long time up too now they been really poor this gen

edit 13 :b

AniHawk

damn. so last night i was 42 hours in, had leveled quite a bit of my guys through quests to level 46, and made it to
the mountain
and got my ass stomped, repeatedly, by boss fights and one normal monster. like, it wasn't even fair in some cases.

i think i'll beat the next boss, which looks like it'll lead to a really crucial part of the story, and then go back to sidequests. kinda need to help out
colony 6 a bit more

massoluk

Banned
Anyway, I've always had a soft spot for JRPGs but haven't played many because of the time investment. To give an idea of how much of a jump Xenoblade is for me: The most recent RPG I played before this one is Final Fantasy III (DS remake), and before that I'd only played RPGs on NES/SNES.

To be honest, I don't think console JRPG have really evolved very much after the PS2 era. That's why Xenoblade is getting all the praise, the JRPG offerings have just been lacklusting until it comes along.

Zing

Banned
I'm not sure this is proper. For example, doctors are paid to help people with health, but they have to help many people. If a doctor spends 5-10x as much time as usual with one person, they are doing it at the expense of many other people. Likewise, game reviewers have to play and review many games. Spending the equivalent of over three full-time work weeks on a single game is undoubtedly affecting his ability to review other games with the usual 10-40 hour play-time.

However, if the company's policy explicitly requires reviewers to fully complete a game before publishing, then yes, a mistake was made. I assume this is not the case, since it was admitted directly in the review that the game was not completed.

Pretty sure you need to be able to jump to reach some secret areas.
Well, these secret areas were only possible due to the jump ability. If the developers had no jump, secrets would be implemented in a different fashion.

Mikey Jr.

I think 35 hours is fair. If you skip a lot of the sidequests, you can probably get pretty far in the game, and have a good handle on the mechanics. You cant expect a reviewer to sink 100 hours into a game, can you?

StAidan

<_< you wouldn't be saying that if you played ff12, Xenoblade the best RPG we had for a long time up too now they been really poor this gen

To be honest, I don't think console JRPG have really evolved very much after the PS2 era. That's why Xenoblade is getting all the praise, the JRPG offerings have just been lacklusting until it comes along.

I guess I'm just lucky enough to have jumped back in at the right time, then :)

Ultratech

The jumps at Valak were awful. I cleared the
Three Sages' Peak
jump first try, but the one
in the Hollow Bone
took me ages.

Yeah, that crap took me forever until I saw in a video you had to move to the sides to get at a higher elevation and then jump. Once I figured that out, it wasn't too hard.

But yeah, it was awful.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, that crap took me forever until I saw in a video you had to move to the sides to get at a higher elevation and then jump. Once I figured that out, it wasn't too hard.

But yeah, it was awful.

I think I recall having to craft or find a bunch of quick step gems.

Hobbun

note: Whenever you press the "B"button during battle, it's helping your party increase affinity as indicated by heart icons floating above their heads. For sidequests, heart icons will also appear to be floating above the heads of the characters in your party. That's how you can tell when your gaining affinity. Checking out the affinity chart with the happy faces on it with your character portraits displayed, will show what level each character's affinity is based on their relationships with the other characters.

Thanks for the great write up on affinity! It really helps a lot.

Now, besides giving wrong collectables to other party members, is there any way to lower affinity? I am pretty bad with timing the &#8216;b&#8217; circle. More times than not I can get it in the larger circle, but I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;ve ever gotten a &#8220;Perfect!&#8221; where the moving circle stops perfectly on the static circle. I just hope I haven&#8217;t lost affinity when I&#8217;ve screwed up on the timing.

Pretty sure you need to be able to jump to reach some secret areas.

I am pretty early in the game and I know of one quest already (Colony 9) that requires you jump to get to the quest item.

Wichu

Now, besides giving wrong collectables to other party members, is there any way to lower affinity? I am pretty bad with timing the ‘b’ circle. More times than not I can get it in the larger circle, but I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a “Perfect!” where the moving circle stops perfectly on the static circle. I just hope I haven’t lost affinity when I’ve screwed up on the timing.

Don't think so. Maybe choosing the wrong option during a heart-to-heart?

Also, burst affinity gets easier with practice. Hell, for the first half of the game I didn't realise you had to time it to coincide with the circle :p

Hobbun

I don&#8217;t think so. I think I remembering reading earlier that you don&#8217;t lose hearts through &#8216;Heart to Hearts&#8217; if you give a wrong answer, you just receive less. But I could be wrong.

Also, burst affinity gets easier with practice. Hell, for the first half of the game I didn't realise you had to time it to coincide with the circle :p

Well, you have no excuse there, it&#8217;s in the tutorial! :)

The problem is with me, even with the bright flash of light (alerting you that a burst affinity is starting), I am usually still too slow on getting the moving circle just right. I&#8217;ve tried to get it off more quickly, but then several times I do it too quickly and it ends up completely outside the circle.

The jumps at Valak were awful. I cleared the
Three Sages' Peak
jump first try, but the one
in the Hollow Bone
took me ages.

I didn't find them too bad
I had more trouble with the thin peaks that don't really show on the map

Well, these secret areas were only possible due to the jump ability. If the developers had no jump, secrets would be implemented in a different fashion.

True, but they chose to have the secret areas found in that way, it is the best option for that type of thing.

WallJump

Banned
I jumped for the first time and just lol'd hard. It was like playing Oblivion in 3rd person. All the animations in this game and they couldn't come up with a decent jump? I would have been ok with 20 less useless material/mobkill quests. Really.

Been playing this for the past couple days. Currently around Level 28 in the Satorl Marsh area. I've really been enjoying it so far, for the most part. Stuff like exploring the game's world is great, the battle system is fairly interesting, and even the story's beginning to get its hooks into me. However... unfortunately, it comes with a pretty big "but" that I just don't want to deal with anymore. That being, I've really just had it with the decision to mix in Level 80-90 enemies everywhere you go with the other, normal-leveled enemies right from the first time you visit the areas instead of them only appearing once you actually got near the final-area of the game or something (as I get why they're there: to extend the gameplay by giving you things to do in every area of the game even once you reach that point, but there's absolutely no reason they need to be there until you get to that point). I mean, at first, it was fine, since in like Colony 9, the super-strong enemies were in way-off the beaten path areas and such that you had no reason to be visiting yet in the first place, so it wasn't a problem to avoid them and unless you did a lot of sidequests/exploring, it's quite possible you wouldn't even know they were there.

However... then you eventually get to the Bionis' Leg, and they start bringing them a whole lot closer to the main path, with stuff like high-leveled rhino-like enemies and at night stuff like high-leveled bird enemies near water. There's also the giant-turtle enemies, which are a high level for that point in the game, but at least those weren't aggressive/didn't attack upon spotting you, like some of the other ones I've mentioned (which is another thing: not only did the enemies have to be there, but they also made these extremely high-leveled enemies attack on sight as well. If Monolithsoft had made them ignore you, at least for the time being, it would have been more tolerable, but they attack on sight, so you have to be careful to avoid them just so you don't get into their line of sight and get insta-killed) Because of the big-open space in the area though, they were still fairly easy enough to avoid so I didn't get killed though, so I pressed on.

Went through the Ether Mines and everything was pretty much fine, but then I get to these Swamps... only to randomly find stuff like Level 70-80 Ether/Elemental enemies pretty much floating over the main path in the middle of the area, meaning I pretty much have to avoid fighting entirely/change course and go way off the main path just to make sure that one of my teammates doesn't do something stupid (like they have a tendency of doing, mostly due to these enemies getting within the range of their attacks, but still) like use an Ether art and draw their attention or while I'm trying to attack some normal enemy, one of them accidentally attacks the high-leveled one and puts me into a world of pain. And pretty much... I'm sick of it. I'm sick of having to go out of my way/use caution and alter my playing style and such just to avoid enemies that shouldn't be anywhere near that close to the main paths at all in the first place. And since it's seeming pretty clear that this problem isn't going to going to change at this point, I'm thinking that I'm going to just call it quits here, less I end up hating this game completely due to that stupid, stupid decision.

It's a shame though, since like I said, other than that, the game's pretty great and I'd love to continuing exploring this game's world, as I know that I've barely scratched the surface in this game--I just don't to deal with having to avoid those high-leveled enemies everywhere anymore. Because the story and such managed to get it hooks into me and I want to see the rest of the game's world and such, I might switch to watching an LP or something of it... but I just don't want to deal with having to dodge certain enemies everywhere I go anymore, so in any case, as far as actually playing is concerned, I think I'm done with it.

Hobbun

lots of info
Sorry you are having issues with the game. I have seen what you said, but haven&#8217;t had too much of a problem avoiding the monsters. I hope you don&#8217;t let it deter you from playing the rest of the game.

As a word of advice, you may want to spoiler some of that stuff. Granted, there is no direct story spoilers, but I always like to be cautious on giving information out, even locations and monster names, so people can enjoy it on their own the first time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What a weird complaint. There aren't really very mainly super high level enemies that ever really cross your path (there's usually, like, one per zone, tops), and the ones in
Satorl don't really aggro except for the elementals (and I'm pretty sure the high level ones only appear at night, and, well, the game outright tells you it's dangerous at night). The enemies are really high levels at night in Satorl, yeah, but most of them will not attack you unless you provoke them. They're mostly either non-aggro entirely or only aggro in response to ether, in which case you need to have already started a battle anyway.

The high level enemies are just like the invisible walls or arbitrary obstacles blocking parts of dungeons earlier in the game that you would see in other RPGs. Most of them are just warnings. "You're going the wrong way! This area isn't for you right now! Remember this and come back later!" With just one or two occasional big guys that are extremely easily avoided due to their size that are there really to just add color and scale to the world.

Hiltz

You'll just only receive less affinity . That's why it is wise to alway save your game right before you activate a heart-to-heart icon. I was pissed when I chose the wrong answer a few times and forgot to save in advance.

In Satorl Marsh, the only monsters that gave me trouble were those hawk and owl monsters. You have to pay attention to when they fly off of the tree branches since you won't always have the camera positioned to be aware of their presence at the top of the screen until they've come in close enough to aggro someone in your party.

Top Bottom