• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Evlar

Banned
Level-based threat generation has been an element of open-world RPGs for a very long time. Xenoblade is perfectly standard in its implementation of this; in fact, it leans a bit on the user-friendly side of the scale (since it's so easy to scout out the detection type, level, and aggressiveness of an enemy from a distance). I like it; it adds an element of risk to traveling and rewards awareness.

And, honestly, it's nice to know the designers are willing to build a game that will straight-up murder your ass once in a while as a consequence of taking risks; even though the practical costs of death in this game are so miniscule, it stills has a real psychological cost.

Hiltz

That's a good point, Evlar.

I remember going through the Windy Cave on the Bionis Leg when my party was too weak to fight the high level monsters there. The cool thing is that they were all the same type that can only attack your party if you run instead of walk. However, even when you do safely walk through the area, its still quite scary knowing that your going through this deathtrap, outnumbered by so many enemies. Its moments like these that helped make Xenoblade all the more memorable.

Ridley327

What a weird complaint. There aren't really very mainly super high level enemies that ever really cross your path (there's usually, like, one per zone, tops), and the ones in
Satorl don't really aggro except for the elementals (and I'm pretty sure the high level ones only appear at night, and, well, the game outright tells you it's dangerous at night). The enemies are really high levels at night in Satorl, yeah, but most of them will not attack you unless you provoke them. They're mostly either non-aggro entirely or only aggro in response to ether, in which case you need to have already started a battle anyway.

The high level enemies are just like the invisible walls or arbitrary obstacles blocking parts of dungeons earlier in the game that you would see in other RPGs. Most of them are just warnings. "You're going the wrong way! This area isn't for you right now! Remember this and come back later!" With just one or two occasional big guys that are extremely easily avoided due to their size that are there really to just add color and scale to the world.

I love the little incidences of world building that occur with the zones that are populated by the high-level mobs. There's not much to them outside of the occasional flavor text that you may here from some of the local villagers, but stuff like
the uber Gogols that took over the small ruins in the Marsh
say all that needs to be said.

AniHawk

Level-based threat generation has been an element of open-world RPGs for a very long time. Xenoblade is perfectly standard in its implementation of this; in fact, it leans a bit on the user-friendly side of the scale (since it's so easy to scout out the detection type, level, and aggressiveness of an enemy from a distance). I like it; it adds an element of risk to traveling and rewards awareness.

And, honestly, it's nice to know the designers are willing to build a game that will straight-up murder your ass once in a while as a consequence of taking risks; even though the practical costs of death in this game are so miniscule, it stills has a real psychological cost.

and once you get to higher levels (like 30-40), the chances of you being 1-hit killed by some random 70-90 lvl creature is pretty small. i've been able to run away from most encounters.

I tried searching the thread (trying to avoid spoilers also which is kind of tricky searching for "Xord") and I've also googled to the end of the earth.

Xord. Why the fuck can't I beat him?

Level 26 for all characters. By the time I get my party gauge up one of my characters are dead or both or we're really close. I've tried building it up on the mobs but my tank (Reyn) sucks. He holds aggro for shit. In fact when I tried healing as Sharla I got aggro from everybody just healing here and there letting them do their thing.

I tried just attacking the boss doing back and side slashes to build up my party gauge but Sharla will die too fast if I don't heal her.

Any tips? I'm about to shelve the game because of this annoyance, I've been stuck for days, even left and went around and leveled up to 26 to have a better chance.

EDIT: I did read Metatron's post also a few pages back, seems to be what most say. It just seems I can't fill the party gauge in time ...

What a weird complaint. There aren't really very mainly super high level enemies that ever really cross your path (there's usually, like, one per zone, tops), and the ones in
Satorl don't really aggro except for the elementals (and I'm pretty sure the high level ones only appear at night, and, well, the game outright tells you it's dangerous at night). The enemies are really high levels at night in Satorl, yeah, but most of them will not attack you unless you provoke them. They're mostly either non-aggro entirely or only aggro in response to ether, in which case you need to have already started a battle anyway.

The high level enemies are just like the invisible walls or arbitrary obstacles blocking parts of dungeons earlier in the game that you would see in other RPGs. Most of them are just warnings. "You're going the wrong way! This area isn't for you right now! Remember this and come back later!" With just one or two occasional big guys that are extremely easily avoided due to their size that are there really to just add color and scale to the world.
I noticed that and when it got close to being night, kept changing the time back to around 7:00 AM. At first it seemed to work, but then there are times in that area even during the day where a strong fog comes in which also seemed to make them show up, and if not the ultra-strong ones, it will bring a few around Level 35 ones, which I quickly found weren't worth my time to even try and deal with, because even if I manage to keep fighting until I get them low on health, at that point they'll just detonate themselves, which, while I've been able to protect myself well-enough from with stuff like Monado arts, seems to mean I don't get anything out of the fight at all unless I manage to do something like a very well-timed Chain Attack to KO them before they can.

I suppose that's really another reason why I'm feeling like quitting at this point: regardless of whether they're high-leveled or not, there just seem to be too many elemental ether enemies in this area, and they're really just no fun to keep fighting over and over because each time you fight one, you have to make sure you can actually off it before it can off itself, or otherwise the whole fight seems to be pointless (at least it seems to be--when that happens, I don't see hide nor tail of them anymore, they don't seem to have dropped treasure and I don't get experience ), which is a tiring process to do over and over since it basically involves having a Chain Attack at the ready for when they try to do so, but you don't always have one charged by that point, and so... That ended up meaning that I just tried to avoid them in general, but that just added to the feeling that I was going too much out of my way.

If there's something about Elementals that I'm missing here and there's some other easier way to beat them at the point I'm at, I might me willing to give it another go. But right now, it typically seems that, once they get in low health, they're able to self-destruct quicker than I can finish them, even if I start pounding on them with talent arts meaning the only way I have of reliably finishing them at that point is Chain Attacks, which aren't always ready at that point either. With stuff like Bombs in Final Fantasy, I know the trick is just to go all-out within the first few turns before they can explode (and even then, I believe you typically end up with experience and such even if they explode, as long as you managed to survive), but what's the trick here (unless what I said pretty much is the best way for dealing with them, and just trying to go all-out the best I can when they try to self-destruct)?

jorgeton

I tried searching the thread (trying to avoid spoilers also which is kind of tricky searching for "Xord") and I've also googled to the end of the earth.

Level 26 for all characters. By the time I get my party gauge up one of my characters are dead or both or we're really close. I've tried building it up on the mobs but my tank (Reyn) sucks. He holds aggro for shit. In fact when I tried healing as Sharla I got aggro from everybody just healing here and there letting them do their thing.

I tried just attacking the boss doing back and side slashes to build up my party gauge but Sharla will die too fast if I don't heal her.

Any tips? I'm about to shelve the game because of this annoyance, I've been stuck for days, even left and went around and leveled up to 26 to have a better chance.

Is this when you
fight him at the bottom of the colony 6 mines? if so, you have to build up your chain gauge on the mobs, then chain break-topple him, then wail on him when he's down. he can only be broken through a chain combo. the good news is you only need to get his health down maybe 25-40 percent then the fight is over.

I fought probably 2 elementals in Satorl total until I came back ages later when I had Riki and Melia in the team.

They're completely avoidable and anything needed with them can be done later.

Mikey Jr.

Been a long time since I faced that battle, so I am not 100% confident about all this info.

-Are you using the monado power "enchant" and enchanting your party with the power to actually use their attacks against him?

-Topple. Do you know how to do it? Use Shulks pink power which should inflict break (squigly pink lines on the enemy, and Reyn should use a green power that will inflict topple. Topple is when they sit on their ass.

Are you doing these things?

And yeah, you don't deplete his HP all the way to finish the battle.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I noticed that and when it got close to being night, kept changing the time back to around 7:00 AM. At first it seemed to work, but then there are times in that area even during the day where a strong fog comes in which also seemed to make them show up, and if not the ultra-strong ones, it will bring a few around Level 35 ones, which I quickly found weren't worth my time to even try and deal with, because even if I manage to keep fighting until I get them low on health, at that point they'll just detonate themselves, which, while I've been able to protect myself well-enough from with stuff like Monado arts, seems to mean I don't get anything out of the fight at all unless I manage to do something like a very well-timed Chain Attack to KO them before they can.

I suppose that's really another reason why I'm feeling like quitting at this point: regardless of whether they're high-leveled or not, there just seem to be too many elemental ether enemies in this area, and they're really just no fun to keep fighting over and over because each time you fight one, you have to make sure you can actually off it before it can off itself, or otherwise the whole fight seems to be pointless (at least it seems to be--when that happens, I don't see hide nor tail of them anymore, they don't seem to have dropped treasure and I don't get experience ), which is a tiring process to do over and over since it basically involves having a Chain Attack at the ready for when they try to do so, but you don't always have one charged by that point, and so... That ended up meaning that I just tried to avoid them in general, but that just added to the feeling that I was going too much out of my way.

If there's something about Elementals that I'm missing here and there's some other easier way to beat them at the point I'm at, I might me willing to give it another go. But right now, it typically seems that, once they get in low health, they're able to self-destruct quicker than I can finish them, even if I start pounding on them with talent arts meaning the only way I have of reliably finishing them at that point is Chain Attacks, which aren't always ready at that point either. With stuff like Bombs in Final Fantasy, I know the trick is just to go all-out within the first few turns before they can explode (and even then, I believe you typically end up with experience and such even if they explode, as long as you managed to survive), but what's the trick here (unless what I said pretty much is the best way for dealing with them, and just trying to go all-out the best I can when they try to self-destruct)?

Honestly my strategy against elementals was... don't fight them. You can do pretty okay against them if you're maining
Melia
but the fights generally just take way too long. So if there are elementals around, I don't attack other enemies, or at least don't attack with magics that will aggro them. I see them more as a battle condition, a "try not to fight with magics" condition, rather than actual enemies to try and kill.

[Edit] And really, I don't think you're SUPPOSED to be trying to fight them yet. Characters later are much more adept at defeating them. They're really just obstacles now, and they aren't.. that hard to avoid, since you can only aggro them by using magics. You can just run right into them and they'll ignore you. (You have the icons turned on that show what will aggro each type of enemy, right?) If you're really worried you'll aggro one during another fight, just try and lead the fight away from them once you start it.

EDIT: I did read Metatron's post also a few pages back, seems to be what most say. It just seems I can't fill the party gauge in time ...

In addition to what all the others have said, you seem to be mainly having a problem with building up the party gauge. Two useful tips:

- Remember that using Monado Buster against Mechon will fill the gauge a little

- Most importantly, and what got me through the fight, BEFORE you even approach the Xord fight, build pu your party gauge fighting other mechon elsewhere in the mines. Then, when it's almost full, skip to the bottom and engage Xord. You shouldn't have to wait too long to fill up the gauge against the little baddies, then switch targets and use the chain attack on Xord to break/topple/maybe even daze.

Is this when you
fight him at the bottom of the colony 6 mines? if so, you have to build up your chain gauge on the mobs, then chain break-topple him, then wail on him when he's down. he can only be broken through a chain combo. the good news is you only need to get his health down maybe 25-40 percent then the fight is over.

Yeah, that's the one. I'll have to pay more attention to my Enchant and make sure it's up all the time.

Been a long time since I faced that battle, so I am not 100% confident about all this info.

-Are you using the monado power "enchant" and enchanting your party with the power to actually use their attacks against him?

-Topple. Do you know how to do it? Use Shulks pink power which should inflict break (squigly pink lines on the enemy, and Reyn should use a green power that will inflict topple. Topple is when they sit on their ass.

Are you doing these things?

And yeah, you don't deplete his HP all the way to finish the battle.

Yeah, I got him to a chain once and Break/Topple and beat on him for a bit, usually have the enchant up (not sure how long it lasts, maybe I'm not doing it often enough?) but he came out of it and wiped us as we were almost dead before going into it.

In addition to what all the others have said, you seem to be mainly having a problem with building up the party gauge. Two useful tips:

- Remember that using Monado Buster against Mechon will fill the gauge a little

- Most importantly, and what got me through the fight, BEFORE you even approach the Xord fight, build pu your party gauge fighting other mechon elsewhere in the mines. Then, when it's almost full, skip to the bottom and engage Xord. You shouldn't have to wait too long to fill up the gauge against the little baddies, then switch targets and use the chain attack on Xord to break/topple/maybe even daze.

I'll try building it up on others, when you say "skip to the bottom" is there a closer spot I can discover that's closer to him? How fast does the gauge go down? Damn, now I have to wait for work to get over!

And thank you all for your help and answers.

LaneDS

Where are some good spots to prepare for the end game? My party is around level 75-80, and I'm kind of at a loss where I should go.

NTom64

Where are some good spots to prepare for the end game? My party is around level 75-80, and I'm kind of at a loss where I should go.

Near the other end of Gaur Plains (the side nearest to
Colony 6
and near the system of bridges) there's a bunch of level 70 or so enemies. Spend an hour grinding there and you should go up by at least a few levels.

That's what I did for the endgame, anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Final dungeon should be okay, and Windy Cave on Bionis Leg. You can also try the marsh at night once you're level 80 or so.

Once you're in the low to mid 80s (82 at the lowest IIRC) you can start fighting Telethia in Alcamoth, if you find them too tough the high level Kromers around Eryth Sea can get you a couple more levels.

Telethia should be good until you're high enough level to go through the new parts of Tephra cave. And at level 93, you can start fighting those Deinos Sauros (T-Rex) monsters in Makna Forest, those give great experience, are easy to kill, and drop very good crystals you'll want to make into gems.

Don't think so. Maybe choosing the wrong option during a heart-to-heart?
Even that is a net positive due to the completed heart to heart bonus (+300 compared with -50 for bad choice...).

Gifting the wrong collectibles is the only way to decrease affinity. Even then its easy to just save before doing so (same with Heart to Heart too) or to well, stop after the first one (as for why you woluld bother to start with
there are achievements; same with bad choice in heart to heart
)

So I recently had time to explore around the Gaur Plains, and yeah...got hit by a Territorial Rotbart.

Are there a lot of surprises like this in the later areas? I tend to grind in a corner near a forest just so I can avoid that high level monster.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I recently had time to explore around the Gaur Plains, and yeah...got hit by a Territorial Rotbart.

Are there a lot of surprises like this in the later areas? I tend to grind in a corner near a forest just so I can avoid that high level monster.

Yes, a lot of areas are like that. Even Colony 9 had some level 70+ monsters, but they were more out of the way.

Edit: And I started my replay. Also at Gaur Plains. One of my goals is to kill every unique monster and I'm cheating with the list of them. :D 13 down, and I've killed some of them a bit early. Killed Cellar Bugworm the first time I ran into him (you know, the "don't attack everything you see" tutorial), that was a pretty wild fight. Struggled with Violent Andante too, killed him at level parody, died twice because a nearby pack of enemies would join in and I couldn't handle him plus four more enemies.

ZenaxPure

I think 35 hours is fair. If you skip a lot of the sidequests, you can probably get pretty far in the game, and have a good handle on the mechanics. You cant expect a reviewer to sink 100 hours into a game, can you?

I think it's reasonable to considering it's their job, but on the flip side I have to agree 35 hours is plenty enough to see what Xenoblade is about. Nothing on the gameplay side really changes in the game from start to end. Combat basically stays the same (except for the ally AI falling apart the further you go), sidequests all the way up to the final major hub of the game are the generic collection/kill/challenge quests, and it's basically a string of fairly open areas. There isn't much difference from a gameplay perspective in Colony 9 and the final "town"
Agniratha

Perhaps things change for the late game, but expecting a reviewer to do that.... hahahaha.

sarcoa

What level did you guys finish the game at? Everyone's around 75 at the point of no return and after 110 hours I'm sort of ready for it to be over.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What level did you guys finish the game at? Everyone's around 75 at the point of no return and after 110 hours I'm sort of ready for it to be over.

I was 82, around 88 hours, but I did a lot of sidequesting for exp. You could probably beat it around your level, it'll just be a tough fight.

burgerdog

Been doing nothing but quest clean up for the last 3 days. I should have completed the frontier village quests when I got them instead of going to Eryth sea. In any case, I've been making good progress and I just have a few left so I'll be able to continue the story today or tomorrow.

Roto13

I'd like to wait until I get my seventh party member before I go back and do a bunch of quests. Will I reach a point of no return for the timed ones before I get him/her?

AniHawk

i think if you combine the official topics for xenoblade (japan, europe, america), it's the most talked-about wii game after its release on neogaf. the ssbb dojo thread is still king, but none of the official wii threads broke the 20k mark. i think xenoblade does.

and that's particularly strange considering how little the game has likely sold.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'd like to wait until I get my seventh party member before I go back and do a bunch of quests. Will I reach a point of no return for the timed ones before I get him/her?

Only location spoilers, nothing too bad:

For the timed quest on the leg / refugee camp they only become unavailable after you
relocate residents to Colony 6

For the timed quest in
Sword Valley
they become unavailable after you 'clear the area' with the boss fight at the end. I don't believe this has any impact on quest in other areas.

For Alcamoth timed quest, they're not due for a long while, and after you have your seventh party member.

Roto13

For the timed quest on the leg / refugee camp they only become unavailable after you

For the timed quest in
Sword Valley
they become unavailable after you 'clear the area' with the boss fight at the end. I don't believe this has any impact on quest in other areas.

For Alcamoth timed quest, they're not due for a long while, and after you have your seventh party member.

Cool. I'm at the second place now, so I guess I'll do all of those timed quests as I find them.

I'll try building it up on others, when you say "skip to the bottom" is there a closer spot I can discover that's closer to him? How fast does the gauge go down? Damn, now I have to wait for work to get over!

And thank you all for your help and answers.

When I say skip to the bottom, I mean there's a landmark right next to him. Just walk a few steps and before you know it, he'll spot you, and the party gauge should still be in its third bar.

If you want, you could also grind out another level or two before facing him. I beat him effortlessly at level 28 after doing some sidequests.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Cool. I'm at the second place now, so I guess I'll do all of those timed quests as I find them.

The missions are all story based, so you shouldn't worry too much. The main concern are the unique monsters, and the collect-o-pedia items, since you won't be returning.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hate those quests that require a thunderstorm or similar other weather effects. Changing the ingame times 30 times in a row hoping for that is annoying.

I think i even have a Makna Forest quest that tells me the weather "needs to be hot!" or something like that.

..What the hell does that mean? Anytime during the day?

When I say skip to the bottom, I mean there's a landmark right next to him. Just walk a few steps and before you know it, he'll spot you, and the party gauge should still be in its third bar.

If you want, you could also grind out another level or two before facing him. I beat him effortlessly at level 28 after doing some sidequests.

I never realized there was a landmark there!

Thanks for all the help peoples, he's finally dead!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hate those quests that require a thunderstorm or similar other weather effects. Changing the ingame times 30 times in a row hoping for that is annoying.

I think i even have a Makna Forest quest that tells me the weather "needs to be hot!" or something like that.

..What the hell does that mean? Anytime during the day?

Just Quick Travel to the area when you notice the weather change to what you need. There's very few of these quest, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

burgerdog

For the timed quest in
Sword Valley

How long would it take to get the 7th character after finishing prison island? Does the 7th character come before or after sword valley? Very curious about this since I've spent around 7-8 hours doing nothing but side quests for the last 3 days. So if I could push the story forward a bit and not lose out on anything, that would be awesome.

No major spoilers but just wanted to be safe.

Bisnic

How long would it take to get the 7th character after finishing prison island? Does the 7th character come before or after sword valley? Very curious about this since I've spent around 7-8 hours doing nothing but side quests for the last 3 days. So if I could push the story forward a bit and not lose out on anything, that would be awesome.

No major spoilers but just wanted to be safe.

There is a fortress after the valley. You'll get the 7th character after the fortress.

burgerdog

There is a fortress after the valley. You'll get the 7th character after the fortress.

One more thing, according to a guide it says that you can still explore sword valley and the fortress as long as you don't defeat a boss in mechonis fields. Is that correct?

Bisnic

One more thing, according to a guide it says that you can still explore sword valley and the fortress as long as you don't defeat a boss in mechonis fields. Is that correct?

Well i havent gone to either of those zones after i got the 7th character, but i
doubt the fortress is still accessible considering what happen at the end of it.

AniHawk

It's in..
the section near the escape pod, with all the little lizards[/URL]
Appears only during the day apparently. Using in the corner on the right, if you're entering from the caves.

I always thought killing the little ones forced it to spawn, but not according to the wiki.

i've been there at all times of the day and i can't get the little asshole to show up. starting to bug me as it's one of the colony 9 quests i haven't completed.

i'm wondering if it's a bug because i got him to appear when i killed the little guys, and i accepted the quest afterwards. now killing the little guys doesn't spawn him, and he never shows up during the day (between 12 and 3)

burgerdog

Well i havent gone to either of those zones after i got the 7th character, but i
doubt the fortress is still there considering what happen at the end of it.

Good thing I asked, thanks. I'll just keep doing the quests as I get them and the 7th character will come in time, not going to rush it.

Bisnic

Good thing I asked, thanks. I'll just keep doing the quests as I get them and the 7th character will come in time, not going to rush it.

Well, if i remember right, i'm pretty sure there is barely any quests in the valley and fortress and the only ones are main story focused, except for two "surprise" ones i found in the valley while entering "bunkers."

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i've been there at all times of the day and i can't get the little asshole to show up. starting to bug me as it's one of the colony 9 quests i haven't completed.

i'm wondering if it's a bug because i got him to appear when i killed the little guys, and i accepted the quest afterwards. now killing the little guys doesn't spawn him, and he never shows up during the day (between 12 and 3)

He's an infinite respawn. I've had him show up many times, both before and after accepting the quest. You might want to save and load the file, which is what most people do to force a respawn. No reports of it bugging out for others. :/

Well, if i remember right, i'm pretty sure there is barely any quests in the valley and fortress and the only ones are main story focused, except for two "surprise" ones i found in the valley while entering "bunkers."

Yeah, like I said, the missables are the unique monsters and the items for the collect-o-pedia. Only quest are story based.

OMG Aero

I recently got the seventh party member and was wondering if there's a specific strategy to using them that I'm not aware of something.
I'm getting killed by enemies all the time whenever I use them but I'm perfectly fine if I play as other characters so I don't think I'm under levelled or anything (I'm usually around 3 levels higher than enemies that are just wiping me out). Even if I have Reyn in the party to draw aggro away, if I hit someone too many times or they just decide to attack me instead of him I keep getting destroyed. Is there something in particular I should be doing with this character, a certain set of equipment I should stick to, or do I just have to have Sharla in the party whenever I use them so I don't die?

Top Bottom