• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

You're gaining half XP? How?
Using Ocarina codes (I'm playing in an emulator this time round but you can also dop the same with homebrew on the Wii hardware; I posted the codes a little bit back).

Do the blue items you pick up on the field serve any other purpose , other than just doing material quests?
Collectibles can be gifted to other party members to give a small boost (or drop) to affinity. They're also great for trading as they are worth so much more than materials it is absurd (btw, for most materials you're best off selling them if you need money to buy art books with).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can gift them to characters to build affinity.

They're also good trade fodder. Shouldn't need cash, but if you do you can usually sell them for a decent amount.

Anyone have any good links to some xenoblade wallpapers?

Check the OP. The pictures are way too big for a desktop as is, but you can resize them or just set to desktop as is.

Using Ocarina codes (I'm playing in an emulator this time round but you can also dop the same with homebrew on the Wii hardware; I posted the codes a little bit back).
Need to give that a try. Wish there was a code to disable the normal battle theme so the field music just keeps playing instead, might be the most useful code possible yet it doesn't seem to exist!

Pancho

Qurupancho
The farther I get into the game, the more I wish the game had a Gambit-like system like FF12 to program the AI party members. They never seem to do the job right, specially tanks.

Ridley327

The farther I get into the game, the more I wish the game had a Gambit-like system like FF12 to program the AI party members. They never seem to do the job right, specially tanks.

Really? I find that the AI does a good job with Dunban, at least. He keeps aggro very well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure you're getting the skills that increase (and decrease) aggro. Pretty sure Dunban has one that increases aggro gained by 10% or something. Reyn has some similar ones. Shulk has some that lower aggro from arts and reduces aggro when he gets hit.

Even then, when you're maining DPS characters like Shulk or Melia and they're well set up, it's not hard to out-aggro your tanks. So you might have to look into stealth and aggro gems.

BooJoh

I just started this game, and so far it's a little overwhelming. I'm just in the first town and I already have tons of quests and tons of people to keep track of, and can easily be overwhelmed when I head outside town and try to fight stuff.

I also gave my first unique item to the tank guy, who promptly left my party.

EDIT - When I'm out in the field or whatever, and it pops up the dialog showing I completed a quest objective and the icon in the quest log turns green, does that mean I've actually completed the quest and don't need to return to the questgiver to turn it in?

I just started this game, and so far it's a little overwhelming. I'm just in the first town and I already have tons of quests and tons of people to keep track of, and can easily be overwhelmed when I head outside town and try to fight stuff.

It is pretty overwhelming at first but you'll get more accustomed to it. Also don't try and go out of your way to get things done. Just do them as you explore and do the story line. I'm about 50 hours in and I only actively do my challenge quests now, everything else is mostly from exploring and trying to complete the collection for that area. Also the generic monster and collection quests are pretty much a huge time sink and only useful for town affinity I assume.

I also gave my first unique item to the tank guy, who promptly left my party.

You replace equipment fairly often, especially early on so don't sweat it.

EDIT - When I'm out in the field or whatever, and it pops up the dialog showing I completed a quest objective and the icon in the quest log turns green, does that mean I've actually completed the quest and don't need to return to the questgiver to turn it in?

Yeah that prompt is for completing the quest, and the little green crown means it's complete.

flyover

The farther I get into the game, the more I wish the game had a Gambit-like system like FF12 to program the AI party members.

That would be cool -- even if it were just completely optional. Or even the ability to change the character you're controlling mid-battle would be nice. I guess I should just be happy that Xenoblade is already my favorite RPG. It doesn't have to be perfect, too.

Exeunt

I'm still in the same area (
Alcamoth
) but I have changed my party up a little thanks to the posts below.

Here's a helpful online guide for finding npcs and sidequests among several other things. Just know that the location drop down list will show the names of most of the major areas of the game. Fortunately, it will not list the areas by chronological order.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=11

That guide is filled with spoilers...
since many people seemed to use this guide just for finding npc's, I added english names to the original maps. they contain npc spawnlocations AND their names, but everything else is in japanese, so there is no risk of any spoilers.
MAP 1 Village 3
MAP 2 Village 3
MAP 1 Village 4

Using theese maps, you can find any npc in a matter of seconds.

Thanks to both of you for your tips! I don't want to be spoiled by anything in the spreadsheet, so I will probably look at the maps that are linked above. Despite the Iwata streams and Pokémon Smash Saturdays I still don't know any Japanese, so no risk being spoiled there. Just looking at that
Alcamoth
map reminds me how massive it is.

If you think it's worth having melia as a healer, ok, but imho it's a waste of potetial. When played by the AI, she does barely anything. She just stands around and casts once every 20 seconds or something like that. Melia is one of those characters that should be played directly. if you don't know how she works, there is a tutorial link in the first post
On the other hand, riki is a great healer and also a great supporter and damage dealer. The AI controlls him far better too.

I think you said it better in the guide. Melia is not a healer, she's a damage dealer. She has a couple healing arts, but neither are honestly worthwhile. Aqua is okay for the regen aura but that's not good enough when you need actual healing, and when you do use the element, it doesn't heal enough to to be reliable. Her only other healing move sacrifices her own HP in the process, so that's not really attractive either.

I'd say both Shulk and Riki are better healers, and obviously Sharla as well.

I read the first post very quickly so I missed the link to that guide! I thought she looked very powerful offensively and I also noticed that she was healing me a fair bit, so I thought she could possibly replace
Sharla
as my healer/ranged attacker. I still would like to try her out but I suppose it's not a big deal since
she isn't in my party right now anyway
. I took your advice and started using
the Heropon
and you guys are certainly right about his usefulness! Right now I have switched to Shulk,
Dunban
and
Riki
; it feels like they have great synergy together since they're able to pull off lots of chain attacks and the battles have been flowing nicely. It's great that
Riki can steal items from the enemies, since that will hopefully make hunting for quest items a little more painless when he's part of the team. Not that the items have been terribly hard to find thus far and that Riki steals that often, but I guess the concept is nice
. I suppose it's about time that I switched out Reyn as well, since I need to build up my affinity with the other characters. On a less serious note, I really like how having
both Dunban and Riki in the party can lead to hearing "not bad" or some variant for about thirty seconds after a battle ends. Very nice.

Pancho

Qurupancho
That would be cool -- even if it were just completely optional. Or even the ability to change the character you're controlling mid-battle would be nice. I guess I should just be happy that Xenoblade is already my favorite RPG. It doesn't have to be perfect, too.

True.
The game is absolutely fantastic. It's just one thing that I wished it had.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there some npc that can give me rainbow slugs through trade? That thing is nowhere to be found on
Fallen Arm
, even if i search during the night. I need it to reconstruct Colony 6.

Ultratech

Is there some npc that can give me rainbow slugs through trade? That thing is nowhere to be found on
Fallen Arm

Don't think you can trade for those. It has a really low appearance rate, so keep getting those blue orbs!

Supposedly, they're a little easier to find while it's raining, but don't hold me to that. Along with Ice Cabbage, they're a real pain to find.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't think you can trade for those. It has a really low appearance rate, so keep getting those blue orbs!

Supposedly, they're a little easier to find while it's raining, but don't hold me to that. Along with Ice Cabbage, they're a real pain to find.

I just wish i could do the same trick im doing when i need specific monsters to quickly respawn. The save/reload trick do not work for orbs sadly. :(

Croc

Banned
Anyone have any tips on using
Riki
? I think I'm doing pretty decent using him but I'd like to try and get as much as possible out of him while I'm playing as him to try and raise affinity with other party members (and just trying to switch up who I'm using).

-GOUKI-

I think this is the first time Gaf hype has been right for me. Damn i love dis game.

Egil is the true hero of the game

Fallen Arm

it's "supposed" to be easier during a thunderstorm.

and its a requirement for another quest (if you care for that stuff), total BS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think i will try xenogears or xenosaga now. Which game do you guys recomnend to me first?

Xenogears, because Xenosaga is fucking awful.

Or at least Xenosaga II is.

Xenosaga I was decent at the time, but probably hasn't aged too well.

Xenosaga III was good, though... you have to put up with the first two games to get to it.

So really, just play Xenogears. It's better than all of them anyway.

-GOUKI-

Xenogears, because Xenosaga is fucking awful.

Or at least Xenosaga II is.

Xenosaga I was decent at the time, but probably hasn't aged too well.

Xenosaga III was good, though... you have to put up with the first two games to get to it.

So really, just play Xenogears. It's better than all of them anyway.

ps1 emulator here i come

Croc

Banned
Riki
? I think I'm doing pretty decent using him but I'd like to try and get as much as possible out of him while I'm playing as him to try and raise affinity with other party members (and just trying to switch up who I'm using).

Self-quoting for visibility on a new page. Also I wish I could just turn off his voice during battles. I love comments during battles but his get kind of obnoxious thanks to his voice.

Seanspeed

Banned
The game is absolutely fantastic.
It really is.

Easily in my top 5 games of this generation and I'm very glad I got a Wii for it. The hype did not disappoint. The game has actually surpassed my expectations. Its one of the best JRPG's of all-time. Definitely top 10 and perhaps even top 5. I know some people will put it even higher than that and I wont fault them for that.

finally, I'm back to a slightly more normal level...level 24 vs level 25 boss
(Xord)
and so
Dunban
joins the party at level 24 (last playthrough it was more like level 27...so I'm lower leveled and having an easier time?).

Fallen Arm
The highest drops are 10% (those are some night time orbs). Collectibles are especially annoying as they don't respwan upon load; only reset. Well at least thats what I found when I saved in front on one, walk up to it and reloaded...it wasn't there.

Its hard to explain but I think the Japanese name is ナナイロナマコ (it translated to rainbow sea cuecumber which seems the nearest) and so use this table for the co-ordinates and then this map.

Riki
That party member can be played in lots of ways. Debuffs is the way most like though. What I mean is using the arts to put on
Bleed, Poison, Freeze and Burns
as they all stack and so a lot of damage is done that way. Just remember to increase Ether (bleed doesn't benefit, the rest do) and look at other ways to boost their damage (gems, skill links I think...).

The AI is slightly odd in that it won't ever use
Lurgy
or
Burnimate
if its a single target.

Also has some interesting supports arts.
Happy Happy Time has horrendous cooldown but ups the party gauge by at least 55% of a bar. You can do it is basically a multi target Light Heal but its recovery is multiplied if you've got debuffs. Hero Time prevents nearby party members from losing tension and boosts one of Riki's stats at random (+75% at level 1..just hope its the stat you want).

For something completely different.

The AP required in leveling arts is the base AP (the AP from level 1-2) * by a number which goes like this; level you're getting to and multiplier:
Code:
2 1
3 2
4 4
5 8
6 12
7 18
8 26
9 36
So basically taking arts beyond level 4 is when the AP really climbs. Or to put it another way, Reyn could have Hammer Beat and Bone upper at level 4 (they both have the same base AP; 160) or have Bone Upper at level 4 and be 160 AP away from having it at level 5. Arts unlocked at higher levels and later party members tend to be more expensive in general too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
it's "supposed" to be easier during a thunderstorm.

and its a requirement for another quest (if you care for that stuff), total BS.

They're supposedly easiest to find on
Distant Fingertip
during a thunderstorm/rain. And I will say that I got all the Rainbow Slugs I needed from that area. You can start at the top or bottom and just work your way to the other end and you'll probably get at least one.

EllisD

Anyone have advice on how to properly spec Riki? He has a wide variety of abilities and I don't really have the time commitment to play him to determine which of them are worth using long term.. I have about 100,000 unspent AP.

Sorry for the mostly off-topic post...

Soraya Saga is a pen name for Kaori Tanaka, she didn't work on CT but was definitely a part of Xenogears. Masato Kato did not work on Xenosaga either, he hasn't worked with Takahashi or Soraya Saga since Xenogears. It's pretty clear that she and Takahashi work together in her interviews.

I know who Kaori Tanaka is, I refered to her as Soraya Saga because that's usually the name people use when talking about her and I think that's how she's usually credited. In Xenogears, Takahashi is Scenario Writer and Kato did the Script, but maybe she did work there as something else. It seems to me that Takahashi usually does the main plot points and the general scenario and then has someone else do the actual heavy writing, like dialogues, etc, and this much is pretty obvious from just reading the Xenoblade Iwata Asks. Seems I was wrong about Kato in Xenosaga, dunno where I got that from (good thing I added the "from what I can tell" part and didn't use absolutes!).

My original post was in reply to AlphaDragoon implying that this was the first time that Takahashi had worked without Kaori Tanaka, when it isn't and it's not even that much of an exception. Of course they work together if they are husband and wife and are both writers and work in videogames, but it doesn't mean they do everything together. Even Soma Bringer, where they both worked, the scenario credit is her's alone.

edit
Some online credits have Kaori Tanaka in the Xenogears credits as "Original Storyline Ideas," whatever that actually means, while others don't mention her at all. Online credits are always kinda sketchy and shouldn't be trusted blindly, but it's probably true. I don't remember seeing her in the credits but it's not like I have perfect memory or anything. Some credits for Xenosaga have Kato as co-writer and that seems to be wrong too.

Yikes, I seem to have ranted on for a bit... Sorry.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have advice on how to properly spec Riki? He has a wide variety of abilities and I don't really have the time commitment to play him to determine which of them are worth using long term.. I have about 100,000 unspent AP.

He can fill a few different roles. You could set him up in a variety of ways. His healing ability is worth having around if you're not using Sharla, and Happy Happy can be a great skill for any party.

Beyond that, it's pretty much just dependent on what you want him to do. I'd probably focus on 2 or 3 different damage-over-time arts and level those up, and use gems that boost their effectiveness. The rest of the arts would just depend on who I'm using him with and what strengths I can play to the rest of the party.

ag-my001

It also depends on the other members of your team. Debuffs don't stack from different sources, so having a Blaze DoT from both Riki and Melia is worthless. If you have Dunban in your party, then Riki's Bleed skill doesn't do much. This is actually a good thing, as Riki has so many options you can set him up with the unused debuffs from others and wind up with a very effective party.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It also depends on the other members of your team. Debuffs don't stack from different sources, so having a Blaze DoT from both Riki and Melia is worthless. If you have Dunban in your party, then Riki's Bleed skill doesn't do much. This is actually a good thing, as Riki has so many options you can set him up with the unused debuffs from others and wind up with a very effective party.

That's why I think Lurgy and Freezinate are the best bets. Only alternatives are Melia's earth and ice summons, but neither of those are as good as Bolt/Fire/Wind for one reason or another and just take up space on the art palette.

Having bleed or blaze doesn't hurt either for when you're not using Dunban or Melia, but those are definitely more "backseat" arts IMO.

jwj442

So how hard is it to get the extra skill trees? I looked at a guide on it and have been doing quests in Colony 9 to get Shulk's. After doing a bunch, I still only have one star affinity to show for it...it seems like a painful process.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think i will try xenogears or xenosaga now. Which game do you guys recomnend to me first?

Xenogears is fucking fucking crazy.... you need a freaking notebook, flowchart, PowerPoint Presentation open to follow that fucking crazy fest of a story.

Seriously, I don't think that game is anywhere as satisfying as Xenoblade because of how up-its-ass in its own story it is. Actually, I take that back... I think it's just a crazy story that couldn't be properly translated.

Here's a quote from a website dedicated to the story: http://lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/
But, I also think the plot was very, very silly in places and “clusterfuck” does not even begin to describe the rather batshit, convoluted narrative of Xenogears. But, you know... That’s just fuel for the fire.

Just read the site instead of playing that game.

nan0

So how hard is it to get the extra skill trees? I looked at a guide on it and have been doing quests in Colony 9 to get Shulk's. After doing a bunch, I still only have one star affinity to show for it...it seems like a painful process.

How far are you in the game? I don't think you are supposed to get them until mid-/endgame.

The earliest you can get Shulks 4th tree is Satorl Marsh. I just did that.

That said, it required me to clear basically every available Colony 9 quest up to that point (Mementos of a lost son was what pushed me over...).

There are some more quests available as you get to new areas. Also things like Material Quest 1 are worth very little for area affinity.

From what I can gather the earliest points for the others are.
(character name and point)
Reyn Valak mountain (or getting to it) , Dunban (Valak mountain), Sharla (Eryth Sea), Riki (Manka Forest on way to Valak Mountain), Melia (later into the Eryth Sea chapter)

But out of those
Sharla and Riki
have some pre-required quest lines...
----Reyn----
kinda too.

-GOUKI-

Xenogears is fucking fucking crazy.... you need a freaking notebook, flowchart, PowerPoint Presentation open to follow that fucking crazy fest of a story.

Seriously, I don't think that game is anywhere as satisfying as Xenoblade because of how up-its-ass in its own story it is. Actually, I take that back... I think it's just a crazy story that couldn't be properly translated.

Here's a quote from a website dedicated to the story: http://lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/

Just read the site instead of playing that game.

Is Xenogears gameplay bad? Why is everyone saying to read the plot summary instead of playing the game?

B.K.

Some online credits have Kaori Tanaka in the Xenogears credits as "Original Storyline Ideas," whatever that actually means, while others don't mention her at all. Online credits are always kinda sketchy and shouldn't be trusted blindly, but it's probably true. I don't remember seeing her in the credits but it's not like I have perfect memory or anything. Some credits for Xenosaga have Kato as co-writer and that seems to be wrong too.

Yikes, I seem to have ranted on for a bit... Sorry.

A lot of people wrote different parts of Xenogears.

Who did actually write the script of Xenogears? (03/03/05)

Gears? Mainly Tetsuya Takahashi did. I wrote the part of (the script about) Bart and his family, Billy and his family and the former Elements*. (I like the Jesse's gun.) Mr. Kato wrote the part of Maria, Chu-Chu and Lahan village and Shevat.

(Lahan village sequences are many Xeno fan's favorite, also Maria's sortie scene was very impressive.) Mr. Tanegashima wrote the part of Esmeralda, the yggdrasil's crews and Elements girls. (I love Esmerald's cuteness.)

A long long ago, back in 1994, I wrote a story about a young soldier of fortune with multiple personalities. Takahashi proposed the plan to our boss. Though the plan was rejected because it was too sci-fi for RPG, the boss kindly gave us an advice "Why don't you make it into a new game?". Then I came up with an idea about a deserted A.I. with feminine personality who becomes an origin of new mankind in the unexplored planet. Takahashi refined the idea into more deeper and mystic love story.

Tanegashima applied a sense of humor and his knowledge about science and military hardwares. Kato added a poetic and mysterious touch to Maria's story.
An alchemical reaction of various creativity made the game enjoyable like
a plate of all-you-can-eat. (I decided to answer this question because endless rumors about it have been around for a long
time. 03/05/05)

*Takahashi wrote Citan side. Saga wrote Hyuuga side.
** I have NO intention of claimimg credit for Xenogears, Xenogears PW, Xenosaga. Takahashi deserves credit for those works.
Especially the history of Xeno-universe is attributed to him.

Ultratech

Is Xenogears gameplay bad? Why is everyone saying to read the plot summary instead of playing the game?

The gameplay's pretty good if simplistic.
Although the story does get pretty confusing. Especially in the 2nd disc where it starts time-skipping and stuff.

Of course, after reading that particular LP, the game does have some odd inconsistencies that really get annoying.

Zekes!

Huh? I thought Riki's bleed skill was great when using Dunban since a lot if Dunban's attacks revolve around the enemy being inflicted with bleed?

Huh? I thought Riki's bleed skill was great when using Dunban since a lot if Dunban's attacks revolve around the enemy being inflicted with bleed?

Actually,
Dunban has a few arts that add a status effect when used after Gale Slash - which inflicts bleed - but they are dependent on Gale Slash being used beforehand, not the enemy having a bleed status.

Zekes!

Actually,
Dunban has a few arts that add a status effect when used after Gale Slash - which inflicts bleed - but they are dependent on Gale Slash being used beforehand, not the enemy having a bleed status.

Shit, really? My bad. I just remember someone mentioning that "after Gale Slash" meant they were just inflicted with bleed, and that Riki was a good compliment to Dunban because of this.

I never really payed attention since I never controlled either of the two though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Melia, 7th, Shulk is an awkward party. But I'm working it. Just got 7th, so I'm missing a few key arts and haven't had any books available yet, but once I get a certain one plus the 4th skill tree I should be good to go.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Started playing a bit yesterday.
Man this game is amazing.

The scale of the world and locals is breathtaking.
The characters are actually all really likeable. It is surprising for a JRPG.
The story is surprisingly mature, believable and interesting.
Small touches like armor changing on your characters are really cool.
Sidequests are not fetch quests since u dont have to return things is awesome.
Combat system really interesting and deep.
Difficulty is awesome. Some things you just cant kill till u level up.

Just 5 hours in or so, but this is already in my top jRPGs i have ever played along the likes of TWEWY and Chrono Trigger.

Also: CCPro is amazing. Wish it had the staggered sticks, but it is so comfortable to hold while using both pairs of shoulder buttons. Better than the 360 or DS3 in that respect.

Roto13

Sidequests are not fetch quests since u dont have to return things is awesome.

Eh. YOu don't usually have to return to the questgiver, but finding a certain number of a random item or killing a certain number of generic monsters isn't really interesting anyway.

Zornica

Banned
Eh. YOu don't usually have to return to the questgiver, but finding a certain number of a random item or killing a certain number of generic monsters isn't really interesting anyway.

Actually it's quite the opposite... usually you DO have to return to the questgiver. Just not for the first ~20 quests. Those are ment for people who want to gain some extra xp along their way, as the objectivs are always kill X enemies. Those enemies are always somewhere on the way to or near an objectiv point. It's just the games way of reducing grinding.
you get those quests from unnamed npcs and they are all numbered and have generic names like "hunt quest 1"

Real quest have multiple steps, multiple objectives, are story driven and you have to return to the questgiver.
you get these quests from named npcs

Wow. So I just made it through Pr
ison Island, and that was some intense stuff. I wasn't particularly surprised since they didn't really hide the 'twist' with the faced Mechon too much, but the reactions to Fiora were really emotional. I got pretty emotional at that and the Emperor's death scene. Things are starting to move quickly, and I'm really interested at what Alvis and Zanza are up to. The story is definitely starting to have a lot more moving parts after having been fairly straightforward in the earlier parts.

Really curious to see where things go from here. I'm 56 hours in, and the game is keeping me hooked in 100%.

Top Bottom