• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

ivysaur12

Banned
CryingWolf said:
I think this is reasonable and more likely than us never getting it at all... so I guess I'll just try to focus on other games for now and not worry about it.

Oh, there is definitely a real possibility that it's not coming over. I just think most people need to cool down and realize that the decision probably hasn't been made yet.

Nintendo didn't even mention that they were remaking Ocarina of Time during their press conference. I don't think an omission can be inferred as anything other than Xenoblade not being present at E3.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't it possible that it's too soon to think about a western release for this? It took them a year to do Dragon Quest IX.

Nintendo will release games when they're damn well ready for it... they'll probably plug a hole in their future release schedule, or whatever...

It's not Mother or something.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright guys, I sent an email to Nintendo (I always hate calming down after the fact, I feel bad for sounding mean to customer service people... apple with their DRM policies was a harsh one but the lady actually agreed with me)

The response was that THOUGH IT WASN'T AT E3 XENOBLADE IS SCHEDULED FOR NORTH AMERICAN RELEASE

On top of that, Last Story they have no information but they are sending in the fact there is demand to the people responsible for these choices. Probably could have been nicer though, poor customer service guy.... but still, we actually got a real response (they even mentioned it not being at E3 means nothing)

Could still get effed, but they directly touched on the fact it wasn't at E3

Well, if Xenoblade's chances of coming to the West depend at all upon its sales, then this is some good news. Xenoblade is the #1 selling game in Japan in its first week, beating out Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the top spot:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/xenoblade_tops_sales_charts/

lsslave said:
Alright guys, I sent an email to Nintendo (I always hate calming down after the fact, I feel bad for sounding mean to customer service people... apple with their DRM policies was a harsh one but the lady actually agreed with me)

The response was that THOUGH IT WASN'T AT E3 XENOBLADE IS SCHEDULED FOR NORTH AMERICAN RELEASE

On top of that, Last Story they have no information but they are sending in the fact there is demand to the people responsible for these choices. Probably could have been nicer though, poor customer service guy.... but still, we actually got a real response (they even mentioned it not being at E3 means nothing)

Could still get effed, but they directly touched on the fact it wasn't at E3

If you don't mind me asking, what were the exact words of their response?

Glad that it's still on schedule for release in the US. Since it wasn't mentioned on their holiday schedule, I guess that means that we have to wait until next year, though.

RurouniZel said:
If I had to wager an optimistic guess, the reason we're not hearing anything about it is because NoA is

1) awaiting Japanese sales data
2) saving for next year anyway

This.
Also, we know almost nothing about Last Story at this point. There is no point in Announcing Last Story when they would have nothing to show at all.

I thought it was a joke that Xenoblade beat out Mario Galaxy 2 in sales for the week, but it's true.:D Any exact numbers?? This looks great at upping the chances of a worldwide release.

Mr. E. Yis said:
I thought it was a joke that Xenoblade beat out Mario Galaxy 2 in sales for the week, but it's true.:D Any exact numbers?? This looks great at upping the chances of a worldwide release.

I know, that's pretty phenomenal isn't it? Xenoblade is surely the biggest RPG ever on the Wii. I can't find the exact numbers, but it must be a lot, because SMG2 sold over 100k the week before and it couldn't have dropped off too much.

I feel pretty good about the chances of seeing Xenoblade in NA eventually... let's just hope they don't take forever.

CryingWolf said:
Xenoblade is surely the biggest RPG ever on the Wii.

Nope - even something like ToS2 did over 200k.

I can't find the exact numbers, but it must be a lot, because SMG2 sold over 100k the week before and it couldn't have dropped off too much.

Unless it held very well, it could quite easily have dropped off to anywhere between 50-75k, so Xenoblade could have secured top placing just by selling 80k.

That would still be an OK start, but nothing to start gushing over.

ivysaur12

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Unless it held very well, it could quite easily have dropped off to anywhere between 50-75k, so Xenoblade could have secured top placing just by selling 80k.

That would still be an OK start, but nothing to start gushing over.

Considering that the initial shipment was around 80k, that's extremely good.

Bebpo

Banned
83k first week.

Pretty good. We have no idea what the shipped numbers were. The 75k shipped guy was bs unless reality just broke. If we knew the shipped % and if we knew Nintendo would actually be shipping out more ASAP (if it sold through most of the first shipment) then it's possible it could do anywhere 150-250k.

If it shipped a lot and is still readily available, might be more like 130-160k lifetime.

XSep3 opened at 120k for comparison.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
83k first week.

Pretty good. We have no idea what the shipped numbers were. The 75k shipped guy was bs unless reality just broke. If we knew the shipped % and if we knew Nintendo would actually be shipping out more ASAP (if it sold through most of the first shipment) then it's possible it could do anywhere 150-250k.

If it shipped a lot and is still readily available, might be more like 130-160k lifetime.

XSep3 opened at 120k for comparison.

It'll probably drop somewhere from 70-80% for its second week.

The shipped numbers were obviously false. Right now it comes down to if the game has legs and if it has good word of mouth. It could do anywhere from 15k to 30k its next week. It really depends on how positive a reception the game gets in the gaming community.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think it'll drop that hard, but I like to be optimistic :p

Overall as long as it keeps selling and if it gets released and sells worldwide it'll probably be a success for the team, just like Soma Bringer probably was. Too bad SB didn't get the extra worldwide sale :X

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
I don't think it'll drop that hard, but I like to be optimistic :p

Overall as long as it keeps selling and if it gets released and sells worldwide it'll probably be a success for the team, just like Soma Bringer probably was. Too bad SB didn't get the extra worldwide sale :X

All of the Xenosaga games have dropped around 80%. SB dropped 70%. It really just depends on how much of a shipment there is out there, how good the word of mouth is and how few used copies there are.

There might be a chance for it to pass XS3. Maybe. Even if it doesn't release in the west, it will probably still be a success. Hopefully that makes it easier for Nintendo to greenlight it over here.

ivysaur12 said:
It'll probably drop somewhere from 70-80% for its second week.

The shipped numbers were obviously false. Right now it comes down to if the game has legs and if it has good word of mouth. It could do anywhere from 15k to 30k its next week. It really depends on how positive a reception the game gets in the gaming community.

Evidence seems to point to very good word-of-mouth, if you can believe this guy:

Last week, I had suggested that Xenoblade for the Wii would debut to roughly 50,000 units, with preorders at about 30,000 units. Preorders topped out at 36,000 units just before release - however week one came in at nearly triple the final preorder value. That suggests either a) sellouts at other retailers than the one this preview is based on, or b) strong word of mouth. The vast majority of games increase by 30% (X to 1.3x) to 100% (X to 2X) from final preorder figures to week one sales in Japan. Looking at the rest of the data, I'm inclined to believe that scenaro b is what happened rather than scenario as Super Mario Galaxy 2 has held up better than I expected. Xenoblade has gone from 36,000 preorders on June 9 to a nearly 100,000 week one in the second scenario. If it is simply that other stores understocked the game, the game will be closer to 55,000 for the week, close to the expectations laid out last week. RPGs are usually close to the +30% end of the scale, which is why I've mentioned that the game could end up significantly lower than what I have for the week.

Something I found on Google. I don't know enough about this stuff to evaluate that.

Bebpo

Banned
The towns can be huuuuge in this game. I just explored one that took me all night and that's pretty much all I did! Lots of named npcs for the kizuna chart and lots of unnamed npcs with neat dialogue talking about the location and the surrounding world.

One thing I dislike though is that the named npcs and quest giving npcs are completely different during the day and night. So the reason it takes so long to explore a town is you have to explore every inch of it during the day...and then do the whole run through again at night. Then every once and a while since new quests open and things change as you gain popularity in the town you have to do day/night checks to see if anything is new. Although after I do the initial day/night check I just stop being OCD and just stop by the place now and then and do a run through to see if anything is new.

Also I love all my party members. Game has a great cast.

Bebpo said:
The towns can be huuuuge in this game. I just explored one that took me all night and that's pretty much all I did! Lots of named npcs for the kizuna chart and lots of unnamed npcs with neat dialogue talking about the location and the surrounding world.

One thing I dislike though is that the named npcs and quest giving npcs are completely different during the day and night. So the reason it takes so long to explore a town is you have to explore every inch of it during the day...and then do the whole run through again at night. Then every once and a while since new quests open and things change as you gain popularity in the town you have to do day/night checks to see if anything is new. Although after I do the initial day/night check I just stop being OCD and just stop by the place now and then and do a run through to see if anything is new.

You're killing me!

I want this game lot.

We get a lot of awesome stuff along the way... but I still want this too.

Wedge7

Cautiously optimistic about the news that it may be brought over. Fingers crossed, as I've spent the past few weeks reading up on it, and was obviously initially very discouraged when no info was brought up about it during e3. The decent sales is encouraging, and hopefully that info above was correct.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my copy of the game today. Spent pretty much the 2-3 hours with the game doing quests around Colony 9. The quest system is really well done. I like the fact that quest NPCs you need to report to appear as red ! marks. Same with quest items found in towns.

Everything about the questing is incredibly well thought out. I also like that if you take on a quest and already have the items for it, you automatically finish the quest immediately.

I really love the scope of the world, too. Traveling around is a blast.

one_kill

If it gets released in America, I hope it gets released in PAL land. The impressions in this thread about the game has got me highly interested.

Diffense

I feel pretty good about a release at least in NA. At least, I want to be optimistic.
I don't think anything that was due for a 2011 release got much attention at E3 apart from Zelda (which was targetting the fall before) and possibly the 3DS (which could very well be out in late 2010 in some places).
It seems that Pokemon, Xenoblade and Last Story are all 2011 games.
*crosses fingers*

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:

At this point, just tell me it took a dramatic turn for the worse and that we're lucky if we don't get it over here.

Here is an interesting tidbit from joystick's interview with Miyamoto:

Q:Some gamers are upset that you didn't talk about Pikmin. Is it still on track?

[Laughs] I don't like to talk about Pikmin much because it seems like every time I do it just creates more articles, but we are working on Pikmin. I think that maybe if you go to the booth and look at the lineup that we have, even if we had Pikmin here and released it soon, we already have so much content that maybe people wouldn't buy it.

Probably why Xenoblade wasn't there. No one is talking about Samurai Warriors 3 or Fling Smash either.

Parley

Banned
I have been watching and hoping for this game for a long time.

The fact that it wasn't at some E3 booth or there was no mention of it makes me uneasy. Last year they at least mentioned it would be coming to NA, but it appears that they haven't started on the NA release until they are sure it is worth it. Not even any screenshots or something to show that there is any work on the translation of the game.

I understand being cautious about bringing this to the US, but I hope they do it because it seems like a jRPG that westerners will like.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okay, so I'm fighting a boss that doesn't take much damage from regular attacks, and it's asking me to chain attack....uuuuuh, how do you chain attack?
EDIT: HA! Nevermind. I figured it out.

I read the OP and I had no idea what the game was about. I learned everything about the people who made this game though.

It would be nice for the OP to update the post with gameplay information for those who stumble into this thread.

Bebpo

Banned
Almost 40 hours now. Still not halfway. The game has paid off so much already and there's so much potential. Depending on how it plays out, I can see this being better than Xenosaga/Soma Bringer. Though doubt it'll be better than Xenogears, but you never know.

I really love the visible armor. Spending an hour upgrading equipment for everyone and having them turn out as bizarro looking people is awesome.

Some of my armor pics:
xenoarmor04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmor01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmor03.jpg

Pic of a nice location I'm at:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmo05.jpg

RPGCrazied

Bebpo said:
Almost 40 hours now. Still not halfway. The game has paid off so much already and there's so much potential. Depending on how it plays out, I can see this being better than Xenosaga/Soma Bringer. Though doubt it'll be better than Xenogears, but you never know.

I really love the visible armor. Spending an hour upgrading equipment for everyone and having them turn out as bizarro looking people is awesome.

Some of my armor pics:
xenoarmor04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmor01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmor03.jpg

Pic of a nice location I'm at:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xenoarmo05.jpg

Wowzer.

They would be absolute stupid not bringing this over.

RPGCrazied said:
Wowzer.

They would be absolute stupid not bringing this over.
We should draw up some kind of standardized "Please localize Xenoblade" avatar and everyone should switch to it until we get some kind of definitive answer. (It's not nearly as impactful as Japanese sales data, but it'll at least ensure the message gets out.)

Rpgmonkey

Cool.

Mismatched equipment sets is one of my favorite things about games like Dragon Quest IX and Dragon Age. You can make some really silly (or awesome!) looking stuff. :lol

Rpgmonkey said:
Cool.

Mismatched equipment sets is one of my favorite things about games like Dragon Quest IX and Dragon Age. You can make some really silly (or awesome!) looking stuff. :lol

Really?

One of the biggest issues I have with many loot games.

This game seems to pull it off well though.

thetrin

Help, I'm spending all of my time doing side quests! I'm 6 hours in, and I haven't even gotten to Colony 6 yet!

The good news, though, is that I've done all the quests given to me so far!

Lucis

thetrin said:
Help, I'm spending all of my time doing side quests! I'm 6 hours in, and I haven't even gotten to Colony 6 yet!

The good news, though, is that I've done all the quests given to me so far!

even if you did no side quest you prob won't be in colony 6 at 6 hours...

fionel

I was gonna just spend 10 more min exploring the northern area of the leg before I call it a night and then I came to a dead end with a cliff. I thought I was just gonna grab the red quest item before the cliff and just save and call it quits.

When I approach the cliff all of a sudden a huge ass spider climbed up the cliff and attacked me. It was a unique monster around my level and I spent 10 minutes fighting it. It was fun and totally unexpected. I really like how even just a unique mob like that has a scripted pop sequence :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
CryingWolf said:
Well, if Xenoblade's chances of coming to the West depend at all upon its sales, then this is some good news. Xenoblade is the #1 selling game in Japan in its first week, beating out Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the top spot:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/xenoblade_tops_sales_charts/

If you don't mind me asking, what were the exact words of their response?

What I wrote and bolded is what was said.

There was other information directed at me but I will say this:

Keep sending emails to their consumer guys, especially IF you want this title (which is set to be released) but also mention Last Story. They are, apparently, forwarding this to their localization department so your voice will be heard.

lsslave said:
What I wrote and bolded is what was said.

There was other information directed at me but I will say this:

Keep sending emails to their consumer guys, especially IF you want this title (which is set to be released) but also mention Last Story. They are, apparently, forwarding this to their localization department so your voice will be heard.

Wow. If they really said that to you in those exact words, that is much more promising than the generic stuff they said to me.

Sounds good.

Top Bottom