• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED update on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqorgar

Banned
Gunloc said:
What I meant was just a bit more appreciation for the people that have been spreading the word about the game. Being told constantly that we need to convince even more people to get the game in order to see sequels (a practice many companies are guilty of) can be seen as a bit of a downer.
It has been a recent trend that we, the players, seem to get blamed for games not coming out. We are told that we didn't buy enough or weren't supportive enough. Heck, we weren't even given a chance to support MegaMan Legends 3 and yet Capcom canceled that project because WE weren't active enough on their stupid community website.

I buy a lot of my (niche) games day one and full price. If it is a game I enjoy, I praise it as often as I can, as loudly as I can, as publicly as a I can. If the next game in the series doesn't come out because the financials don't work out, that's disappointing but that's life. But I really hate game publishers trying to make me feel like it's my fault because I should've done more. I don't want to single out XSEED, but I have seen them do this repeatedly.

It's not just niche series either. Stuff like Batman having Catwoman behind a pay wall makes me feel punished for something I haven't and wouldn't do. This generation, I just get this impression that all the publishers are frustrated with me because I'm not subservient enough for them. I'm just such an inconvenience, standing between them and whatever the hell they want to do. JRPGs are the worst, because we get less and less of them every year, and apparently, it's because I just don't want them enough.

Eusis

wyrdwad said:
And Eusis: Honestly, Trails 1 tells a complete story. Yeah, it ends on a cliffhanger... but it concludes its central plot before doing so. Ever seen Sonic SatAM? It's kind of like the final episode of that show. A great ending... but then they throw a plot twist in at the last minute, setting up for season 3. And even though season 3 never happened, the episode still kicks ass. ;)
I vaguely recall that... but I suppose Twin Peaks is a relevant alternative there, never getting a full resolution but ending with ENOUGH of one and going out quite spectacularly. Too bad they're also both examples of series cut down too early for whatever reason (not that I could blame them for Twin Peaks after the latter part of the second season EXCEPT for that final episode), but at the least it's a strong argument for why anyone interested in Trails in the Sky shouldn't hold back just because we might not see the second part. At worst there's spoilers abound online for answers anyway, but that's a very final resort.

Gunloc said:
Being in this (very) rough patch for niche gamers in North America is like a constant reminder that what I like is not what the majority of gamers are attracted to. And that usually would never bother me, but now it's really affecting what games I have access to in my current singular linguistic existence. But I'm not trying to throw a pity party, so I'll just keep hoping for the best.
Yeah, I gotta agree there. It's not so bad so long as ENOUGH people are out there with the same interests or at least enough overlap, which felt like the case around 2004-2006 at least, but it feels like over the last few years it's been in a sharp decline that's leaving some of us behind, and worst of all I suspect it's more about WHERE the games are whether than how much people want them, for every freak case like Xenoblade there's a ton of DS and PSP games glossed over because not enough people who'd care are taking the handhelds seriously.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:
Thanks Dark Schala.

If you could recommend one or two of those books to start, which ones would they be? Would "Remembering the Kana" and "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" be a good duo to begin with?
I personally started with Kana so I'd go with that (and get the grammar too), yes. At least to recognize loanwords (katakana), and also morphological portions of words like prefixes, affixes and particles (hiragana). They're slightly easier to "get" because they're syllabic (CV or V) in nature (and thus easier to sound out). It'll probably help you get used to the moraic nature of Japanese. Plus you need hiragana to learn Kanji (each Kanji is based on readings built from hiragana, so I think knowing hiragana is a good foundation). Harder or less-frequent kanji has some kana on top of it called furigana to help with pronunciation as well... so better to learn the kana first.

Kana is also faster to get, I've noticed... but that's if you practice a lot. Once you get that down, you can jump into the kanji.

jj984jj said:
This was posted in the other thread but I think it fits better here:

I'm sorry, what? I didn't make a big a fuss about what they said about RGC as some and I've supported XSEED releases plenty since I got WA4 and continued after RGC. I'm not begging for them to be charitable in the slightest, I'm just tired of ultimatums and being led on. If the project can be continued, great, I'll be a happy camper. If the project has become unfeasible, well that's fine too as I will not beg, however I will say that they will likely have lost a fan. I'm only saying what I think about the situation personally.

They have to balance the auteur and the bottom line. Maybe its the rollercoaster of "this ain't never coming over" "whoa, this is coming over?!?" in this, the Age of Operation Rainfall getting to me thru the years, leaving me a bit numb and logical, but again, this ain't no charity. Not to mention they haven't done anything betrayal-level in the slightest, and Wyrdwad appologized for sparking confusion and overconfidence.

Xseed chose to start something that they could not guarantee you would finish, knowing full well that it was part of a series with a troubled history in the US, on a troubled platform in the US, with a troubled release format (one of the only multi-disc psp games, which may make a digital release impossible). This is why people are mad. Anything Xseed releases that is part of an existing series, or has the potential to be come one, is going to fall under the same scrutiny. Unless this is made to happen (helooooo pc version) Xseed are now the company that doesn't follow through, and this is going to carry with them for a long time.

And again, THIS. We knew going in this was risky, they knew going in booming them out 1-2-3 was not a guarentee, but there's this panic and vitriol.

It has been a recent trend that we, the players, seem to get blamed for games not coming out. We are told that we didn't buy enough or weren't supportive enough. Heck, we weren't even given a chance to support MegaMan Legends 3 and yet Capcom canceled that project because WE weren't active enough on their stupid community website.

I buy a lot of my (niche) games day one and full price. If it is a game I enjoy, I praise it as often as I can, as loudly as I can, as publicly as a I can. If the next game in the series doesn't come out because the financials don't work out, that's disappointing but that's life. But I really hate game publishers trying to make me feel like it's my fault because I should've done more. I don't want to single out XSEED, but I have seen them do this repeatedly.

It's not just niche series either. Stuff like Batman having Catwoman behind a pay wall makes me feel punished for something I haven't and wouldn't do. This generation, I just get this impression that all the publishers are frustrated with me because I'm not subservient enough for them. I'm just such an inconvenience, standing between them and whatever the hell they want to do. JRPGs are the worst, because we get less and less of them every year, and apparently, it's because I just don't want them enough.

It ain't us at fault, but then again, we're the only ones taking note of smaller titles in a shrinking genre. Bad news happens and their pitches sound manipulative. It's also a risk of talking directly with us fans, who, me included, hype up and shill their games of our own accord.

JEKKI

maaaaaan I aint even played the first one they made...

didnt stop me from buying it on day 1.

I'll buy them all!!

and play them all one day!!

ONE DAY!!

Would Falcom be interested in porting it over to the Vita though, if only for the sake of NA/EU? Moreover, would that fly with SoA and their draconian stance on ports?

Still would love to see the entire series make it over. Not to mention dubbed, so my friend Cristina Vee gets a couple more credits under her belt!

pje122

It'll be really really sad if we don't get the next game. I wish there was something more that could be done...

Eusis

cartman414 said:
Would Falcom be interested in porting it over to the Vita though, if only for the sake of NA/EU? Moreover, would that fly with SoA and their draconian stance on ports?

Still would love to see the entire series make it over. Not to mention dubbed, so my friend Cristina Vee gets a couple more credits under her belt!
I'm hoping the visual fidelity offered by taking the PC assets in full would be enough. That, or I guess it's possible they get 2 translated then throw in 1 just to appease SCEA.

I'm REALLY hoping though that Sony's notably looser with Vita requirements compared to prior systems. The stance on PSP Remasters isn't exactly creating confidence there, but then they don't need to fight as badly on the console front as the handheld front to be relevant here either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was saying it from the initial announcement on that getting all the games from XSEED was something of a pipe dream.

They've spent the entire generation dreaming further than their wallet's could manage, and this was probably their biggest hope and possibly biggest mistake.

The PSP was dead in the west before they started this, these games take a massive amount of localization work and they belong to a genre that frankly doesn't sell well unless a big name is attached to it. They could have probably overcome one or two of these problems but all three? Man.

I feel so bad for them because they really do try harder than almost anyone to bring interesting games out to their fans, but man, sometimes catering too much to your fanbase can really hurt you.

Kikujiro

No hate for XSEED, they did try, if we won't get the future LoH I'll be sad, but what can you do? That's the problem with all the niche titles.

I thank them for all the other games and hope it will work out somehow.

0 HP

do people actually feel betrayed because they brought TitS but don't know if they can do the other ones? if they localize one game, they HAVE TO localize all of them? i have to be missing something here right?

xseed is awesome in my book. ys1-3 & 7 on psp...they made the system for me.

squall211

Well I did my part tonight and bought the game off PSN for full price. I had been waiting for a sale, but I keep hearing nothing but positive things about this game, and I want the others to make it over also.

Eusis

0 HP said:
do people actually feel betrayed because they brought TitS but don't know if they can do the other ones? if they localize one game, they HAVE TO localize all of them? i have to be missing something here right?
An announcement they secured licenses for all three games (and got dubbing done for all of them too, but that's comparatively minor given it's just battle cries), and the first game ending on a MASSIVE cliffhanger. A lot of us knew there was a good chance things would go awry, especially with the Vita's reveal further compounding the PSP's sorry state, but if things don't work out it can easily sting worse than not getting Retro Game Challenge 2 or Half Minute Hero 2.

iavi

0 HP said:

xseed is awesome in my book. ys1-3 & 7 on psp...they made the system for me.

The problem is that they promised all three from the very beginning, and continue to, what some have begun to call, shoestring fans along in regards to their status.

I would love to see the SC happen, but I wouldn't hold it against Xseed were it to not come of anything. They tried, and are said to be still trying. But, in all honesty, it just doesn't look like it's happening.

cj_iwakura

I'm of the impression Wizardry did pretty well, but I have no numbers to back that off of, it just seemed to get a good reception from the (niche) fanbase. Not like PS3ers get much in the way of traditional dungeon crawlers.

DiscoJer

cj_iwakura said:
I'm of the impression Wizardry did pretty well, but I have no numbers to back that off of, it just seemed to get a good reception from the (niche) fanbase. Not like PS3ers get much in the way of traditional dungeon crawlers.

I would actually guess the Grudge game was the one that bombed. Over at Gamefaqs, it's got less messages on its board than VK2:BS which was a PSN only remix of VK2.

Since it was a double license (the game and the movie) probably not cheap, either. I'm guessing HMH didn't do too well, either, it doesn't have many pages there (I know, odd way of gauging sales, but it does sort of reflect their popularity among a more mainstream gaming audience)

Paracelsus

So basically I can put the game in permanent hiatus before leaving Bose, my backlog is already crushing enough to spend time on shenmue II-like cliffhanger games.

krYlon

A lot of negativity and vitriol aimed at Xseed on this thread.
I understand to a certain extent why. However, personally, I'd rather play one Trails in the Sky game than none at all. No other company would have taken the risk.
Yes the game has a cliffhanger at the end, but it still has a self contained story-arc, and can be enjoyed as one game perfectly.

I still have a lot of hope that we will see the second game eventually.

Fans need to stick by Xseed and keep supporting them. And what's with this getting hurt by Tom because he's asking us to convince as many people as possible to buy the game. He is marketing for Xseed, what do you expect him to say?? It's his job. I'm glad he's trying to encourage as much sales as possible, Xseed need to be as forceful as possible.
More people need to buy this game!!

My fear is that after this fan backlash, Xseed won't take any risks at all in the future and we'll see less niche games. And that would be very sad indeed.

Eusis

krYlon said:
My fear is that after this fan backlash, Xseed won't take any risks at all in the future and we'll see less niche games. And that would be very sad indeed.
The WORST I'd suspect is that they don't pledge to take on any more excessively text heavy games, especially ones in part of a longer running series like this where you're going to want the other installments ASAP. It's not how niche or not niche it is, it's effort versus reward, and as stated in interviews Trails in the Sky was comparable to half of their regular load per year.

Considering how much text is in this game, I'm just glad Xseed is still moving forward with this. I have plenty of games to play while I wait.

Retro Game Challenge 2.
Half-Minute Hero Second.
Trails in the Sky SC.

mwfoyq.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
KAL2006 said:
Reason I didn't get into the first one was that I had doubts the whole trilogy would get released.
First game is still worthwhile on it's own, you just kind of have to ignore the big plot twist at the end.

And I'm pretty sure the "big bomb" was Half Minute Hero, although I'm not sure if it was necessarily the biggest financial hit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well I can understand things not doing as well. Doesn't make the sting of missing the other 2 chapters any less.

This is a time where I wish the industry devised some kind of plan to compensate volunteer individuals for maybe doing a fan translation of sorts but at much cheaper a cost. I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking out loud. I really want to see AT LEAST the second chapter of this story. As I said earlier in this thread, I really like this game and am slowly crawling through it mainly due to my own life getting in the way. I may go out on a limb and say it's my favorite RPG on a portable this time around. Maybe even ever. But that's not me just sucking up, it's my own opinion.

Whatever happens, happens, I guess.

chaosblade said:
First game is still worthwhile on it's own, you just kind of have to ignore the big plot twist at the end.

And I'm pretty sure the "big bomb" was Half Minute Hero, although I'm not sure if it was necessarily the biggest financial hit.
I have doubt about Half Minute Hero but as a DD only game, that should be expected.

And not beating the game and reading about a plot twist or cliffhanger was not what I came here for :p

I'll live but I'd rather not read about this prior to getting there myself. I will post in the OT to ask on my progress though!

krYlon

chaosblade said:

It was definitely Half Minute Hero. I'm sure it was hinted as much on another thread/forum.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I bought the first game but gave up after 15 hours because I didn't like it much. So you're welcome, I guess.

Well I was aiming to just wait for the anime adaptation or the PS Vita. Since the reveal of the Vita Ive held off on UMD purchases.

Knowing that a trilogy is in jeopardy just isnt too comforting to even get the first game, what if the starts the next day Second Chapter is never released, I would hate to have no way of finishing it. I can think of other rpg series that never saw full release, never again will I take that risk.

LiquidMetal14

Kiriku said:
I bought the first game but gave up after 15 hours because I didn't like it much. So you're welcome, I guess.
I can only tell you that you should stick to it. It's a portable. Take it with you on breaks and such. I think you will appreciate it more when you're in spots where you have no access to your console or PC. The plot is interesting enough and the characters/locales are entertaining and fun too. It starts slow (what JRPG doesn't) but believe me, I remember those early towns. Once you get out into the
Manoria lakeside (name may be wrong)
it gets better from there.

Eusis

Dedication Through Light said:
I can think of other rpg series that never saw full release, never again will I take that risk.
The problem is that it presents a chicken/egg scenario though. The game needs sales to get the sequel, but it's not going to get the sequel if no one buys it. I'd just take the stance of spoiling yourself if everything falls apart, or at least buying it if the game's ported to another platform like Steam or the Vita.

LiquidMetal14

Eusis said:
The problem is that it presents a chicken/egg scenario though. The game needs sales to get the sequel, but it's not going to get the sequel if no one buys it. I'd just take the stance of spoiling yourself if everything falls apart, or at least buying it if the game's ported to another platform like Steam or the Vita.
I would rather play but is there a site with an english breakdown of the other 2 games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cartman414 said:

Vita or PSP, how many copies do you think it would have to sell to be profitable, and how many copies do you think it would sell? How many copies do you think Trails in the Sky sold? 100k? 50k? 30k? Less?

LiquidMetal14

0 HP said:
localizing jrpgs seems like the most thankless job ever
Elaborate? I mean they're doing their jobs which they are paid for like you and me. Do you mean the consumer is not appreciative or the companies don't appreciate their fanbase?

Yuterald

I can't believe this thread has derailed into, "Here are some recommendations on how to learn Japanese because well...you're gonna need to!" I literally just woke up and when I read the title of this thread my heart skipped a beat. I just got done ranting about this shit a month ago!

I don't know what else to say at this point. I really, REALLY don't want to hear the excuse that FC ends on a fulfilling note. You have to be kidding me! It doesn't fucking conclude Estell's story, it practically just begins! What, are we supposed to blame gamers for not buying this game? I tried my hardest and got 3 people (2 friends and my brother) to buy this game and they loved it and are DYING for the sequel.

I'm so frustrated right now. I know it's childish and a bit unrelated, but I CANNOT STAND how dumb bone games like Final Fantasy XIII-2 can get release dates in NA, but a REAL RPG with actual characters and plot threads has like less than 1% chance of getting released. What the fuck is wrong with this world? Fuck all of this.

zeelman

I bought the Limited Edition Trails in The Sky the day it was released, so I really hope they still release the sequel. If XSeed is going to pull the same stunt Capcom did with Megaman Legends 3, I'm just going to give up on Japanese games altogether.

LiquidMetal14

zeelman said:
I bought the Limited Edition Trails in The Sky the day it was released, so I really hope they still release the sequel. If XSeed is going to pull the same stunt Capcom did with Megaman Legends 3, I'm just going to give up on Japanese games altogether.
I know you may be trying to prove a point but let's not go that overboard. Unfortunately the bigger guns from Japan seem to sell and the better but low profile stuff goes by the wayside :/

0 HP

LiquidMetal14 said:
Elaborate? I mean they're doing their jobs which they are paid for like you and me. Do you mean the consumer is not appreciative or the companies don't appreciate their fanbase?
i mean the companies that translate the games are generally unappreciated by the fans. i was a huge working designs fan back when they were around and it seemed like no one ever had any words of thanks for them either, just complaints. and its not like these guys make a lot of money off these games or even have an easy time putting them out.

I feel really bad for people waiting on SC, but I am quite surprised by the amount of negativity in this thread. I shudder to imagine what would occur if they actually cancelled the game.

I guess between stuff like Ace Attorny Investigations 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (to name a few Japanese games) not being localised and Operation Rainfall showing little results, while PAL territories seem to be getting the three games without hassle, it's a tough time to be a Japanese-centric gamer.

However in this case, I definitely appreciate XSEED spending the time and effort to localise the first Trails in the Sky. To this day, I still can't believe the first chapter was translated in English and officially nonetheless. While it's a huge shame if the other games don't make it here, I'm personally still glad that they translated at least one game. Although that probably means little coming from somebody who's played and understood four games in the series.

LiquidMetal14

0 HP said:
i mean the companies that translate the games are generally unappreciated by the fans. i was a huge working designs fan back when they were around and it seemed like no one ever had any words of thanks for them either, just complaints. and its not like these guys make a lot of money off these games or even have an easy time putting them out.
I'm sure WD had complaints but those days are fresh on my mind and even in my younger age I remember highly appreciating the packaging and such that went into their works. And XSEED does something similar but not quite to that level. Mind you, we appreciate by buying and talking about the games. Our thank you is that and then some by our user impressions and praise AND hard earned dollars to even have the privilege to enjoy said product.

I'm not going to sit here over entitled about this but you can't just say the buyer does not appreciate the effort put forth.

Let's be frank here, piracy and other little things have hurt EVERY PSP release. It's sad and sounds like a cheap cop out but it's true. That and no mainstream advertising on these PSP games.

Brings back the point, wish there there was some kind of indie or smaller paid volunteer workforce who translated these games for cheap so the the cost would be easier to bare.

vall03

Yuterald said:
I'm so frustrated right now. I know it's childish and a bit unrelated, but I CANNOT STAND how dumb bone games like Final Fantasy XIII-2 can get release dates in NA, but a REAL RPG with actual characters and plot threads has like less than 1% chance of getting released. What the fuck is wrong with this world? Fuck all of this.
this is what bothers me to be honest, I don't even know who to blame to be honest. Me? the company? the market? *sigh*

Sqorgar

Banned
0 HP said:
I appreciate XSEED. I really do. And I support them at every opportunity. Heck, I just got Solatorobo and I've got Fishing Resort on pre-order. There's only a few companies out there that can do what XSEED does and don't think for a second that it isn't appreciated.

It's just REALLY frustrating being a JRPG fan right now. It's like the genre is poison and nobody will touch it. Even when we do get great games, like Retro Game Center and Half Minute Hero, we don't get the sequels. I went into Trails of the Sky knowing that it was a trilogy and it was largely XSEED's assurances that convinced me to give it a try. I'm sure Star Wars is great by itself, but would you start watching it knowing you'll never see Empire or Return of the Jedi?

But those assurances seem to get weaker and weaker with each passing month. It's gone from "We'll do it" to "We'll do it, but..." to "Maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up, but we want to still do it". I'm expecting the next update to be "We've stopped working on it for now, but we'll get back to it" and then "I don't remember promising you people anything".

Like I said, it's just frustrating. And we're looking for someone to blame. And XSEED is looking for someone to blame. So we blame each other for just not being good enough. That's not really fair to either side, but with every other JRPG company blaming the fans for not releasing good, even great games, I'm just too annoyed over too long a time to care anymore.

And the reason people had complaints about Working Designs is that it took them roughly FOUR years for each title they licensed. And they filled their loose translations with distracting fourth wall breaking jokes and sexual innuendo. I'm not sure why we should feel honored to have such slow Power Rangers-quality localizations.

Yuterald said:

Marketing, timing, presentation values and platform choice?

Of the Legend of Heroes games I played, I probably would have bought this one if it came out swiftly after Tear of Vermillion, releasing the games yearly would have been a great idea.

cj_iwakura

krYlon said:
It was definitely Half Minute Hero. I'm sure it was hinted as much on another thread/forum.

Which is sad, because it's one of the best games on the PSP, no joke. Everyone in this thread who didn't buy it needs to go sit in a corner as penance.

duckroll

cj_iwakura said:
Which is sad, because it's one of the best games on the PSP, no joke. Everyone in this thread who didn't buy it needs to go sit in a corner as penance.

Didn't like the demo. Don't care for the premise at all. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom