• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED update on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aeana said:
Hahaha, "we never promised to localize either sequel."
Yo, XSEED, dudes. You announced all three games at the same time. Or are you now going to claim you never did that either?
I might be wrong, but I thought that was in response to RGC2 and HMH2?

MechaX said:
This actually makes me pretty curious on how the Ys series performed. Especially Ys I/II Chronicles.
Thankfully they plopped all of those out in quick enough succession before they could pull their "FIRST ONE NEEDS TO SELL MORE" shenanigans.

Grimmy

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Xseed chose to start something that they could not guarantee you would finish, knowing full well that it was part of a series with a troubled history in the US, on a troubled platform in the US, with a troubled release format (one of the only multi-disc psp games, which may make a digital release impossible). This is why people are mad. Anything Xseed releases that is part of an existing series, or has the potential to be come one, is going to fall under the same scrutiny. Unless this is made to happen (helooooo pc version) Xseed are now the company that doesn't follow through, and this is going to carry with them for a long time.

I'd rather have the first game than nothing at all, thank you.

MechaX

hosannainexcelsis said:
The continuation of that tweet makes it sound like they are talking about Trails in the Sky in addition to the other two games.

It goes pretty much like this:

Poster makes these three comments back-to-back: "Your original statement about the Falcom deal made it sound like the Trails in the Sky trilogy was a lock for localization. But now you're on "pretty shaky ground with this title". Plus, no offense, but your track record with RGC and HMH doesn't give me cause for hope. (Yes, poor sales, I know. Still sucks.)"

In response, XSEED tweets this: "We never made any promises to localize either sequels. :/ We'd love to, and we do everything we can to put out titles, but-."

They're referring to RGC and HMH, but it's used as a sort of justification in the overall Trails argument.

Edit: Actually, wait a minute... XSEED's comment could be in direct response to the "I thought the trilogy was on lock" comment, and "either games" could refer to Trails instead.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Err... Let's just hope for the best guys rather than dwelling on the negatives. That and maybe we can focus our energy on to other JRPGs (like Graces F!). :p

MechaX

ULTROS! said:
Err... Let's just hope for the best guys rather than dwelling on the negatives. That and maybe we can focus our energy on to other JRPGs (like Graces F!). :p

Although, Namco being utterly MIA on Graces F in almost every capacity since that teaser site nonsense is another subject.

ctrayne

Gunloc said:
Learning Japanese really is the only reliable solution though, at least that way I can avoid all the disappointment.
This is true, and will solve all localization problems, and a world of games opens up to you without hinging on anyone else being bothered to translate it.

I never played Legend of Heroes VI back on the PC and I haven't checked it out the PSP either, so I apologize for being part of the problem. It doesn't have a huge amount of shelf appeal to a lot of people, myself included, so I expected a niche reaction. I am still surprised it didn't sell better though, since I hear people on here talk about it a lot.

I think a better title to test the waters with would have been Brandish PSP. Far less text to translate, a more immediately engaging game, and a lot of people know the name Brandish already. Maybe THEN dropping the TiTS bomb would have been a little easier with a bigger fanbase.

x3r0123

MechaX said:
Although, Namco being utterly MIA on Graces F in almost every capacity since that teaser site nonsense is another subject.

i'm pretty sure they will screw up just like they did with dark souls

cj_iwakura

ULTROS! said:

Are we sure this isn't the most elaborate troll ever?

B.K.

pancakesandsex said:
Xseed chose to start something that they could not guarantee you would finish, knowing full well that it was part of a series with a troubled history in the US, on a troubled platform in the US, with a troubled release format (one of the only multi-disc psp games, which may make a digital release impossible).

Did they choose to start the series? I always thought that Falcom forced them to license the Trails in the Sky games as part of a package to get the Ys games.

Aeana

B.K. said:
Did they choose to start the series? I always thought that Falcom forced them to license the Trails in the Sky games as part of a package to get the Ys games.
That wouldn't make any sense and doesn't line up with Falcom's history of licensing.
Also I think it'd be silly to act like nobody at XSEED wants to bring the Trails games out - they are the games certain people there are most enthusiastic about.

matmanx1

I also bought a day 1 LE copy and still have plans to pick up a digital copy for my eventual Vita library. I hope Xseed can see the project through and I hope that more folks pick up the game as time goes on. It certainly is worthy.

Well, this is now approximately ten times the mess it ever needed to be.

All I'll say is: keep an eye out. And don't assume things have been idle.

cj_iwakura

x3r0123 said:
they also didn't print enough CE copies and the game feels like it was rushed

I have never had a brand new artbook lose pages on me before.

The thing is printed like a children's book.

mjc

I bought two copies of the LE when it first came out...sucks that the good word of mouth from critics and fans alike isn't aiding SC's chances.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
x3r0123 said:
i'm pretty sure they will screw up just like they did with dark souls

Graces F doesn't have online multiplayer... And it's being localized by 8-4 (the ones responsible for Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia). Namco will screw it up by probably poor marketing.

Takao

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Graces F doesn't have online multiplayer... And it's being localized by 8-4 (the ones responsible for Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia). Namco will screw it up by probably poor marketing.

lol poor marketing

more like no marketing

Foffy

Banned
mjc said:
I bought two copies of the LE when it first came out...sucks that the good word of mouth from critics and fans alike isn't aiding SC's chances.

It doesn't help it's on PSP. Hasn't every major title sold below expectations internationally on PSP, too? ):

Aeana

SpaceDrake said:

So what you're trying to say is that Carpe Fulgur and XSEED have teamed up to bring SC to Steam.

androvsky

Aeana said:
So what you're trying to say is that Carpe Fulgur and XSEED have teamed up to bring SC to Steam.
That's what it sounds like to me. And I wouldn't be surprised if CF was helping with localization too.

Aeana said:
Well, they have said that have snipers aimed at them in case they say word one on "Project Four."

krYlon

SpaceDrake said:

This is... very promising.

Shouldn't be getting my hopes up should I?

androvsky

CF won't touch consoles, yet all they do is localize Japanese games. If they're tied up with a ream of NDAs, that pretty much means they're working with another localization company to bring a Japanese game that's not a doujin title to Steam.

How many small Japanese developers (that wouldn't be classified as doujin) make non-visual novel PC games? What could they be doing if it's not something with Falcom?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that XSEED contracted CF for part of SC's localization, especially since SpaceDrake has been pretty close to XSEED for a while. Fake edit: among the points others have made as well.

I'm pretty sure XSEED contracts out almost all of their translations and just handle editing in house anyway, I think there were four translators for FC including Deuce, whose translations they also used for Ys Chronicles and Oath.

So yeah, CF assisting there wouldn't surprise me at all, but I also don't think it would be a huge secret, so it's probably not Project Four.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
hosannainexcelsis said:
It should be pointed out that SpaceDrake has said he can't confirm that Project Four is coming to PC because he doesn't know what platform it will be on.

Let's roll the RPG localization dice!

Oooh, it's Soma Bringer for Linux! Who knew!

ULTROS!

hosannainexcelsis said:
It should be pointed out that SpaceDrake has said he can't confirm that Project Four is coming to PC because he doesn't know what platform it will be on.

Recettear and Chantelise for consoles? :(

I have a Mac and I removed my Windows so it's obvious that I can't play both games. :(

kswiston

I used to be a huge jrpg fan, but have been out of the loop for many years now with regards to niche titles. Forgive the stupid question, but is Trails of the Sky related to the other Legend of Heroes games that came out on PSP a few years ago? If so, are those earlier games worth bothering with, or should I just play Trails in the Sky? The gamerankings scores for the other Legend of Heroes titles weren't so hot, but reviewers often lowball niche rpgs.

Aeana

kswiston said:
I used to be a huge jrpg fan, but have been out of the loop for many years now. Forgive the stupid question, but is Trails of the Sky related to the other Legend of Heroes games that came out on PSP a few years ago? If so, are those earlier games worth bothering with, or should I just play Trails in the Sky? The gamerankings scores for the other Legend of Heroes titles weren't so hot, but reviewers often lowball niche rpgs.
They are "related" in that the same developer is responsible for both, however the stories in Trails and the earlier games are totally separate, and the versions of the earlier games that came out in English are pretty much garbage. Avoid them.

Varion

kswiston said:
I used to be a huge jrpg fan, but have been out of the loop for many years now with regards to niche titles. Forgive the stupid question, but is Trails of the Sky related to the other Legend of Heroes games that came out on PSP a few years ago? If so, are those earlier games worth bothering with, or should I just play Trails in the Sky? The gamerankings scores for the other Legend of Heroes titles weren't so hot, but reviewers often lowball niche rpgs.
1. In name and developer only, Trails is the start of a new 'series' within the Legend of Heroes franchise.
2. Skip them, just play Trails. The earlier games were pretty much thrown through babelfish, and they're very different in pretty much every aspect of gameplay anyway.

Not sure why they don't just use Vita's backwards compat with PSP titles and re release FC, SC, TC on Vita carts. I'm sure Falcom would be willing to help with that, its really just a shame its taken so long for these games to get localized.

xxczx

TheBanditKing said:
Not sure why they don't just use Vita's backwards compat with PSP titles and re release FC, SC, TC on Vita carts. I'm sure Falcom would be willing to help with that, its really just a shame its taken so long for these games to get localized.
The problem is the two UMDs, you need to swap UMDs more than once in game so PSN isn't an option and XSEED is just localizing, it's up to Falcom to port it to Vita.

Macstorm

SpaceDrake said:

Welcome to the internet, the land of assumptions.

Macstorm

Aeana said:
I was wondering when you'd show up.
You're slipping, man.
The defense force needs to sleep sometime. Plus, I was too busy rolling my eyes at a lot of these comments here, you know, like the defense force is supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom