• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo to lay off 15% of employess (~1,700) and shut down oversea branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
You guys ever think what would of happen if that guy that lied about college education stuff stayed as the ceo of Yahoo ?

Erevador

Wish David Karp hadn't sold one of tech's most interesting companies (Tumblr) to the most incompetent dinosaur in the business.

Nikodemos

With that type of out of the box thinking I'm sure they would be in a better position.
Yeah. When you're in caca you need the lazy brilliant maverick to pull you back to the floating line. Hardworking isn't a necessary CEO trait. It's something for the lower rungs, ex. COO, CFO, CTO etc. Being hardworking might very well mean that the person is merely competent but compensates with raw effort. A slipping company like Yahoo doesn't need somebody like that; they need a heavy hitter.

Oh, and not selling to Microsoft for $45 billion was literally pants-on-head stupid.

RiverBed

Banned
Back in the day, I remember yahoo shopping was the biggest online retailer in Japan. I don't know if that changed or if the closures include that as well.

woah there let's not exaggerate, she's only been overhyped because she came from Google and had a good reputation there.

Her tenure at Google was more or less luck. She was lucky enough to get in early and be at the right place at the right time.

She's been an absolute trainwreck at Yahoo. Her efforts at improving the brand have been scattershot at best, desperately flailing to find some gimmick that would raise Yahoo's profile. Perhaps the only worthy acquisition has been Snapchat, but that won't save them because she's made no effort to promote it or integrate it with Yahoo's other holdings, to say nothing of the fact that the core ad business continues to be an absolute mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom