• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo to lay off 15% of employess (~1,700) and shut down oversea branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStubbs

So she is basically another carly fiorina?

She's bad but not nearly that bad. Yahoo was already circling the drain when she got there. She's accelerated it a bit with stack ranking/firing.

Carly took two tech giants and turned them into one much smaller and less important company in record time.

Mayer is Steve Mariucci. The dynasty was on its last legs and she couldn't stop it from crumbling. She's not Trent Baalke.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Remember when Microsoft wanted to buy Yahoo for 45 billion and they refused? Guess one party is now glad it never happened while the other is crying in their sleep that it never happened.

entremet

She's bad but not nearly that bad. Yahoo was already circling the drain when she got there. She's accelerated it a bit with stack ranking/firing.

Carly took two tech giants and turned them into one much smaller and less important company in record time.

Mayer is Steve Mariucci. The dynasty was on its last legs and she couldn't stop it from crumbling. She's not Trent Baalke.
Wait, Mayer introduced stack ranking?

Man, she has been awful.

To add what you're saying, let's also not undermine the fact that the stock was up for awhile under her reign too. It's only lately dropped down.

I really want to know what her golden parachute will look like. She can't fail, not after seeing how the interim Blackberry leader jumped in, did NOTHING, and got a ridiculous amount on his way out.

Bubba T

To add what you're saying, let's also not undermine the fact that the stock was up for awhile under her reign too. It's only lately dropped down.

If I'm not mistaken, that was because of Alibaba that the stock price increased. Mayer hasn't been a good leader really at all.

If I'm not mistaken, that was because of Alibaba that the stock price increased. Mayer hasn't been a good leader really at all.

From what I was told, and please try not to misinterpret my personal opinion from this factoid, stock prices dropped after buying tumblr. Which was not long after the new ceo was put in place.

Zizbuka

Banned
Does Yahoo even have any valuable assets these days? Patents, technology, etc.?

It feels like the best they could hope for would be for someone like Alphabet to buy them.

CLEEK

Does Yahoo even have any valuable assets these days? Patents, technology, etc.?

It feels like the best they could hope for would be for someone like Alphabet to buy them.

A few years back, Yahoo invested US$1b in Alibaba, a Chinese e-commerce start-up. The investment paid off big time, as Alibaba are now massive and have a similar market cap to Amazon.

The stake in Alibaba that Yahoo holds is what generates all their income. Investors have wanted Yahoo to spin off the Alibaba holding part as a separate company, so they can have a clear picture of legacy Yahoo. Marissa Mayer has always refused to do this, as it would highlight just how terrible her leadership has been, and how every other part of Yahoo is failing and losing money.

A few years back, Yahoo invested US$1b in Alibaba, a Chinese e-commerce start-up. The investment paid off big time, as Alibaba are now massive and have a similar market cap to Amazon.

The stake in Alibaba that Yahoo holds is what generates all their income. Investors have wanted Yahoo to spin off the Alibaba holding part as a separate company, so they can have a clear picture of legacy Yahoo. Marissa Mayer has always refused to do this, as it would highlight just how terrible her leadership has been, and how every other part of Yahoo is failing and losing money.

She's got a sweet severance package tho.

$158 Meeeeeeeeelliooon dollars.

I have a friend who left their campus in VA to go to Dubai. Sad news, I sent him a facebook message earlier about it, although 95% of the rest of our conversations were more about hooking up, so I'm not surprised he may not want to talk to me about it.

numble

It doesn't generate any income. It is part of its value, but it is normally discounted from the actual worth of the Alibaba stake.

She didn't refuse to spin it off, they actually had a plan in place. The risk of taxes got in the way. Shareholders actually did not want the spin off anymore because of the risk of taxes.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It doesn't generate any income. It is part of its value, but it is normally discounted from the actual worth of the Alibaba stake.

She didn't refuse to spin it off, they actually had a plan in place. The risk of taxes got in the way. Shareholders actually did not want the spin off anymore because of the risk of taxes.

I don't think they changed the plan. Instead of moving their assets to a new holding and selling them off now they plan to sell of their core business so Yahoo will just be Alibaba and Yahoo Japan and can then be sold off without having to worry about taxes. In any case Yahoo will seize to exist very soon, their core is worth about 4 billion. None of the money that is invested in Alibaba will go to Yahoo, it's all for their shareholders.

numble

I don't think they changed the plan. Instead of moving their assets to a new holding and selling them off now they plan to sell of their core business so Yahoo will just be Alibaba and Yahoo Japan and can then be sold off without having to worry about taxes. In any case Yahoo will seize to exist very soon, their core is worth about 4 billion. None of the money that is invested in Alibaba will go to Yahoo, it's all for their shareholders.
Well they did change the plan because of taxes. They had setup a new company on NASDAQ that would have been the spin-off company where they would've transferred Alibaba to.

There is now a new plan in place to give a purer Alibaba stake to the shareholders, I agree.

pompidu

Remember when Microsoft wanted to buy Yahoo for 45 billion and they refused? Guess one party is now glad it never happened while the other is crying in their sleep that it never happened.

This is all it needs to be said about how business works at Yahoo. Blunder for Yahoo, a dodged bullet for Microsoft.

SURGEdude

While true I think the bump had more to do with the strange media darling spotlight she found herself in at first. While having more women head big tech companies is noteworthy it never felt like the praise ever mentioned much about her skill other than being a former early Googler. Guess we know why now.

Renekton

Remember when Marissa Mayer was like a sudden celebrity out of nowhere. The media talked about her like she was certain to save Yahoo and make them into Google's worst nightmare.

I never understood the hype. She always seemed pleasant but nothing about her suggested anything special about her leadership qualities.
From the google stuff I read, she was crazy hardworking, understands the tech down to low level and talented at site design. She held major posts in multiple core departments at her peak.

Running Yahoo tho, is a different beast.

Kite

Yahoo Finance used to be great, but they fucked with the layout recently and made it unusable. It was literally the only thing yahoo had that was useful imo..

SSPssp

I don't know how much is her fault or how much of it is just that Yahoo is beyond help. They should just break up and sell everything.

Yahoo Finance used to be great, but they fucked with the layout recently and made it unusable. It was literally the only thing yahoo had that was useful imo..

100% agreed. It's a real shame because I used to love using for Yahoo! Finance for company profiling.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I thought Yahoo was doing great now. They got that spiffy new logo and everything.

Hydrus

I wonder if there gonna get rid of that sports dude that everyone hates. I think his name was Kelly or something like that.

10 years of history stored on Yahoo! fantasy football.

Anyway all those records can be migrated to another service, aside from manually entering them into Excel?

Red Devil

Ugh, the mail is kinda bloated indeed but I hope nothing happens to it since I use it for some stuff and I don't want to depend entirely on Gmail.

Lookin forward to Vice President Mayer in 12 years explaining how firing 90% of yahoo and then shutting down the company was not her fault.

It is crazy how some tech companies just keep going and going though. AOL, MySpace, and Yahoo still around. Alta Vista, Ask Jeeves, and Excite gone :(

At least RealNetworks and Lycos are still around. :O

Cipherr

I was really rooting for Marissa. But sometimes it doesn't work out. Every time I hear about Yahoo since she went there it's either them senselessly buying some other company out, or the company itself is doing poorly.

Hot mess over there.

....this has been one of the worst CEOs in corporate history jesus christ

I wouldnt go that far, Yahoo was in trouble when she went there in terms of not being able to generate and sustain growth. The issue is it seems since she has gotten there she has not been able to slow or stop the decline, let alone reverse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom