• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo: Trump admin secretly worked to lift Russian sanctions...

Obama admin State Department officials worked with members of Congress to codify the sanctions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ad...se-russia-sanctions-fell-short-231301145.html

In the early weeks of the Trump administration, former Obama administration officials and State Department staffers fought an intense, behind-the-scenes battle to head off efforts by incoming officials to normalize relations with Russia, according to multiple sources familiar with the events.

Unknown to the public at the time, top Trump administration officials, almost as soon as they took office, tasked State Department staffers with developing proposals for the lifting of economic sanctions, the return of diplomatic compounds and other steps to relieve tensions with Moscow.

These efforts to relax or remove punitive measures imposed by President Obama in retaliation for Russia's intervention in Ukraine and meddling in the 2016 election alarmed some State Department officials, who immediately began lobbying congressional leaders to quickly pass legislation to block the move, the sources said.

”There was serious consideration by the White House to unilaterally rescind the sanctions," said Dan Fried, a veteran State Department official who served as chief U.S. coordinator for sanctions policy until he retired in late February. He said in the first few weeks of the administration, he received several ”panicky" calls from U.S. government officials who told him they had been directed to develop a sanctions-lifting package and imploring him, ”Please, my God, can't you stop this?"

Oh my god. The first few comments on that Yahoo article (I dared not to go beyond that) were sensible and anti-Trump. Yahoo comments normally attract the detritus of society. Maybe we are seeing a shift.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh my god. The first few comments on that Yahoo article (I dared not to go beyond that) were sensible and anti-Trump. Yahoo comments normally attract the detritus of society. Maybe we are seeing a shift.
Just wait. Like a noxious cloud, the words 'snowflake', 'liberals', 'libtards', 'tears', 'Hillary' 'Obama', 'globalists', and more are descending on the page.

“There was serious consideration by the White House to unilaterally rescind the sanctions,” said Dan Fried, a veteran State Department official who served as chief U.S. coordinator for sanctions policy until he retired in late February. He said in the first few weeks of the administration, he received several “panicky” calls from U.S. government officials who told him they had been directed to develop a sanctions-lifting package and imploring him, “Please, my God, can’t you stop this?”

Man...

Glad to know government officials were thinking the same thing as the rest of the country.

Apparently, the White House was like a graveyard as the transition was happening. A lot of people were very, very unhappy. I can only imagine how it much have felt for the aides and state workers who worked under the Obama administration knowing what was coming.

No paid Russian trolls because Russia knows no one uses Yahoo anymore.

I'm just waiting for Trump to tweet:

"So, what if I do whatever Putin wants? Weak Obama didn't have the courage to be a pawn."

But it's in "quotes".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I almost wish Obama had said climate change was fake and the devil and nothing needed to be done.

CZSvqVv.png

I do hope that if we get a new Dem President in 2020, he will impose the most heartless, soulless, harrowing sanctions on Russia that we have ever seen.

HotHamBoy

So basically a bunch of congress members knew shit was fucked up and continue to act like it's news to them.

Nobody was willing to give him money, cause they knew he is a scammer and failure, and then Russia came a long...

100% fact, I'm certain. That's also why Russia has "derogatory information" about Trump's financial dealings.

I do hope that if we get a new Dem President in 2020, he will impose the most heartless, soulless, harrowing sanctions on Russia that we have ever seen.

No more targeted sanctions. Time has come for broad economic sanctions. Putin wants to behave like North Korea, he'll get treated as such.

GhostBed

This seems like borderline proof that collusion is happening. Seriously, what in the fuck? Every single day the picture becomes more clear.

Clefargle

Didn't trump inject 100m into his campaign to his account a time or two when he was having trouble fundraising? I'll bet cash that was daddy Vlads money

ICO_SotC

Some weird stuff comes up in a PBS interview with journalists from WaPo and Politico about this topic:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/repo...unds-russia-diplomats-turning-strange-places/

The Russian diplomats effectively disregarding those travel rules and turning up in places that they shouldn’t have been or that they never told the State Department they were going.
As U.S. intelligence officials started kind of looking at where these guys were turning up, they would turn up over where a fiber-optics cable ran underground, or these strange locations that when, taken as a whole, it was — became clear that they were on some kind of mission to kind of map the infrastructure. The intel part went to this infrastructure mapping of some of the telecommunications networks in the country.

And Republicans. They are enabling this treason and disastrous course. And yes I know this is the same rhetoric that the right had during Obama but here it's actually true and not a made up monster in the closet to scare old folks and the ignorant to vote Republican.

Top Bottom