• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo: Trump admin secretly worked to lift Russian sanctions...

Tovarisc

Some weird stuff comes up in a PBS interview with journalists from WaPo and Politico about this topic:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/repo...unds-russia-diplomats-turning-strange-places/

Stuff like that is extremely valuable intel, especially if you can then identify e.g. what fiber routes are used for government communications. Especially military is big on having own data transfer infrastructure that is separated from civilian traffic.

Handy intel to have if you want tap in or disconnect.

Edit: For few years now there has been concerns in Finland that they are doing similar mapping here

And Republicans. They are enabling this treason and disastrous course. And yes I know this is the same rhetoric that the right had during Obama but here it's actually true and not a made up monster in the closet to scare old folks and the ignorant to vote Republican.

I don't know how we could impose sanctions on Russia, but fuck it, I'm do.

Stuff like that is extremely valuable intel, especially if you can then identify e.g. what fiber routes are used for government communications. Especially military is big on having own data transfer infrastructure that is separated from civilian traffic.

Handy intel to have if you want tap in or disconnect.

Edit: For few years now there has been concerns in Finland that they are doing similar mapping here

What would the overall point be to that exactly?

Dan Fried is on MSNBC right now

That was interesting because the way he described it it didn't seem like it was just lifting the recent handslaps for election meddling, but even sanctions for some of Russia's war crimes. And it was also clear the U.S would get nothing from the deal. Trump wanted to roll over and be Vlad's bitch day one.

The Kree

Banned
This is like a season of 24, except the bad guys are going to win and heroes don't actually exist because this is real life.

Tovarisc

What would the overall point be to that exactly?

Two big uses could be
  • Disconnect communications before and/or during crisis, war etc.
  • Drop in as middleman and listen in on communications
Both apply to civilian, government and military traffic.

For e.g. use signal jamming to fuck with wireless communications from radios to satellites while dropping bombs on key hardlines severing them and you just may have severed some base or unit from rest of military body.

Two big uses could be
  • Disconnect communications before and/or during crisis, war etc.
  • Drop in as middleman and listen in on communications
Both apply to civilian, government and military traffic.

For e.g. use signal jamming to fuck with wireless communications from radios to satellites while dropping bombs on key hardlines severing them and you just may have severed some base or unit from rest of military body.

Well, I mean, I don't think the latter is something plausible in regards to the US, because it would be the beginning of nuclear war, but the part about listening in on communications sounds particularly bad.

Althane

Well, I mean, I don't think the latter is something plausible in regards to the US, because it would be the beginning of nuclear war, but the part about listening in on communications sounds particularly bad.

You mean former. Former is first, latter is later.

I also doubt that we would leap straight to nuclear war based on an intentional communications sabotage, but it would probably depend on the circumstances.

You mean former. Former is first, latter is later.

I also doubt that we would leap straight to nuclear war based on an intentional communications sabotage, but it would probably depend on the circumstances.

Yeah, I meant latter. I was referring to bombs dropping when I said that, it would definitely be the beginning of nuclear war. Unless it was part of a takeover, but I have doubts our military would allow that, but who the hell even knows anymore.

Calm down they have a lot of Nukes. Just make the oligarchs lives as difficult as possible

It will make it harder for them, because the less that comes in, the closer the edge of their citizens can become. Get with the EU, and hit them with sanctions that would make NK say, 'Damn,' and ban any of all of their media, try your best to block any IP coming out of the country, and send any and all diplomats home and pull all of the US and EUs. No more bullshitting with Russia.

cameron

leroidys

Pretty telling that this didn't even make it to a second page. Can't wait to find out how Russia has so much leverage on the POTUS.

Yahoo with the scoop. That's how many scoops there are around.

What is telling in this article is that sources are on record.
The content is damning because they tried to keep it quiet. Which means they didn't think it would survive scrutiny. Which means they knew congress would shut them down if the press got hold of it.

What IS this guy's deal with Russia?

He is bought and paid for by the Russian Mafia, Russian Oligarchs, and the Russian Government itself....which funny enough are all kind of the same thing.

And this isn't even new. This has been going on for the last 3 decades. After Trump bankrupted his companies, all of the domestic investment dried up and U.S. banks wouldn't lend him a dime. He turned to the crooks of Russia to bail him out of his incompetency. He's been operating under the direct influence of the dark powers of Russia since that time.

Yahoo with the scoop. That's how many scoops there are around.

What is telling in this article is that sources are on record.
The content is damning because they tried to keep it quiet. Which means they didn't think it would survive scrutiny. Which means they knew congress would shut them down if the press got hold of it.

Yep. There are still enough Cold War hawks who, even if they indulge Trump on most things, don't look favorably upon Russia. The Yahoo article mentions that a bipartisan plan to codify the sanctions was only scrapped after Flynn was fired and the public began to focus on Russia in earnest.

WaterAstro

What IS this guy's deal with Russia?

XsKgwQX.jpg

Theonik

It will make it harder for them, because the less that comes in, the closer the edge of their citizens can become. Get with the EU, and hit them with sanctions that would make NK say, 'Damn,' and ban any of all of their media, try your best to block any IP coming out of the country, and send any and all diplomats home and pull all of the US and EUs. No more bullshitting with Russia.
Ban Russians from Playing DOTA2 and CSGO. Watch the popular revolution unfold and Russia's regime topple.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Haha, I was being a bit facetious... but thanks for the reminder that there are real, tangible dodgy links to Russia for this shithead. I'm praying it all comes unravelled soon.

KHlover

Banned
Putin must wake up with a smile and a huge boner every single day since the election. Spent a few hundred million and got literally the highest ranking individual in the country as a pet dog. That's not even mentioning the shit Trump comes up with on his own...the US taking itself apart on the global stage gives other countries the opportunity the chance to eat a lot of your lunch. Anyone wanna guess how many billions (or even trillions) of dollars China is going to make now that Trump basically made sure they'll be the undisputed leader when it comes to driving renewable energy forward? That'll be one of the biggest markets in this century and Trump just casually throws it away.

Kerensky

Banned
The sanctions ween't as big of a deal as NATO hoped it would be, it just meant i had to buy my "restricted items" abroad.

I'm pretty surprised this didn't get more play, honestly.

I think people just like the big juicy bombs about collusion and back channels when in reality its what they're colluding about that matters.

Tovarisc

White House Looked at Dropping Russia Sanctions—Even After Firing Michael Flynn

The White House explored unilaterally easing sanctions on Russia’s oil industry as recently as late March, arguing that decreased Russian oil production could harm the American economy, according to former U.S. officials.

State Department officials argued successfully that easing those sanctions would actually hurt the U.S. energy sector, according to those former officials and email exchanges reviewed by The Daily Beast.

In one email exchange, a State Department official feels the need to explain that lowering punitive sanctions on the Russian oil industry would be rewarding Moscow—without getting anything from the Kremlin in return.

“Russia continues to occupy Ukraine including Crimea—conditions that led to the sanctions have not changed,” the official wrote.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/white-...ssia-sanctionseven-after-firing-michael-flynn

otakukidd

Wasn't it always rumored that Trump was bribed a shit load of Russian oil company stock and that if the sanctions were dropped they would go up significantly.

Top Bottom