• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |HOPE for Western Release?| Can we make some noise?

frequency

I can.

I'm a 100% fan of Yakuza. But Dead Souls was shit all around.

Camera issues everywhere, really bad control for a shooting game, QTEs were way too fast on even lower difficulties, I was only able to beat the hardest one by just pressing a button, failing 10 times and then finally getting that specific button during the QTE so that I succeeded, missions were awful. Music was terri-bad.

The only 2 good parts were: one "mission" that was over after 30 seconds without any gameplay (which is kinda saying a lot about the game). In fact it was just a single cutscene (which was pretty funny though) and on top of that the ending music.

They should have never released Dead Souls anywhere and instead localized Yakuza 1+2 HD and Yakuza 5. I mean at least that could do that as excuse for all the people that bought Dead Souls.

I mean seriously - I have no clue how they managed to fuck up the controls that badly. Binary Domain controlled fine and that was released just a few months later. I only bought Dead Souls after playing through Binary Domain. Playing through BD made me think: "hey, that's fine, Dead Souls can't be that bad". I was wrong.

I agree. I love the series. I would even say it is one of my favourites. But Dead Souls was terrible. Besides the really bad gameplay, the story wasn't very interesting either. It really bothers me that is the game that ends the series in the West (assuming 5 does not get localised).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how anyone can call Dead Souls a bad game. It was a fun, non-canon, diversion from the rest of the series. Sure the camera control kind of sucked at times, but I had a ton of fun with the game itself.

It's quite easy to see why even some Yakuza fans would dislike it. The controls are 'unique' to say the least and it's all guns and not as open as the previous games either.

However I loved it once I got used to its quirks, had a genuinely great time with it.

Haledos

Banned
Dead Souls could've been much better if they'd have stuck with a better control system and didn't have so many enemies that did constantly knock you on your arse whenever you recovered from a previous arse-knocking,

IrishNinja

Guys, it's easy. After last year financial reports, Sega said they would ditch every franchise for the West aside of Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, Alien and a few others. And that's what they're doing right now; even games under contract like Anarchy Reigns barely made it. I recall reading that the localization & PR team for Yakuza was disbanded after Dead Souls. At this point, with next gen around the corner, I would be surprised if Y5 comes out.

people need to stop saying this; as i recall they said they'd focus on those franchises + digital, which is a possibility for Y5. and if you read those teams "disbanded", link it, otherwise this is just more FUD.

Yo,

Right now I'm making an Open Letter article towards Sega for you-know-what. I've taken a few pictures of post here, but let's go further.

Show your collections. Even if it's one game. Make a sign, no matter how crappy it is. It probably won't be the biggest dent in their mind, but it's something.

i'm down...i think i had a pic around here for Y4 or dead souls, lemme see if i can dig it up

people need to stop saying this; as i recall they said they'd focus on those franchises + digital, which is a possibility for Y5. and if you read those teams "disbanded", link it, otherwise this is just more FUD.

Yeah, I read those articles but I don't remember ever reading anything about Yakuza's team being disbanded.

Coxy

if they're ever going to make another dead souls or similar yakuza spinoff they should take the mechanics from Binary Domain, maybe throw the BD dudes in, not like that's ever getting a sequel

but yeah I dunno why we're back to the debate about popularity and success, like I said last time, they arent doing shit with PSO2 and that's making hundreds of millions

if they're ever going to make another dead souls or similar yakuza spinoff they should take the mechanics from Binary Domain, maybe throw the BD dudes in, not like that's ever getting a sequel

but yeah I dunno why we're back to the debate about popularity and success, like I said last time, they arent doing shit with PSO2 and that's making hundreds of millions

Sega seems to be even prefer other Asian countries over the west...PSO2 got released in Taiwan, Hong Kong etc. just recently.

androvsky

I can.

I'm a 100% fan of Yakuza. But Dead Souls was shit all around.

Camera issues everywhere, really bad control for a shooting game, QTEs were way too fast on even lower difficulties, I was only able to beat the hardest one by just pressing a button, failing 10 times and then finally getting that specific button during the QTE so that I succeeded, missions were awful. Music was terri-bad.

The only 2 good parts were: one "mission" that was over after 30 seconds without any gameplay (which is kinda saying a lot about the game). In fact it was just a single cutscene (which was pretty funny though) and on top of that the ending music.

They should have never released Dead Souls anywhere and instead localized Yakuza 1+2 HD and Yakuza 5. I mean at least that could do that as excuse for all the people that bought Dead Souls.

I mean seriously - I have no clue how they managed to fuck up the controls that badly. Binary Domain controlled fine and that was released just a few months later. I only bought Dead Souls after playing through Binary Domain. Playing through BD made me think: "hey, that's fine, Dead Souls can't be that bad". I was wrong.
The Dead Souls controls were like that, for lack of a better term, for casual Japanese fans of the Yakuza franchise who weren't used to shooters. I saw an interview with Nagoshi a long time ago where he acknowledged the controls would have to be changed for a western audience. But I guess with the quake delay and Sega in general cutting back, they never got around to it.

dubq

I loved VC but wasn't that into VC2.. is VC3 any different or even worth localizing? I'd rather see Y5, either way.

Yakuza 5 (41%, 3,557 Votes)
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (40%, 3,423 Votes)
Shining Hearts (12%, 1,029 Votes)
Yakuza HD Remakes (7%, 608 Votes)

And it's first!

Now if that 3,557 could actually turn into something like 355,557 Sega might actually take a look at it :p

Jimrpg

i voted...

like i said before if someone does a kickstarter gets sega some money to do it, there wouldn't be any reason for them not to...

Haledos

Banned
It's nice to see y5 in the lead. There may have been duplicity, but I can guarantee it would've been duplicity on both sides so it evens out. Y5 has been inching up on vc3 for 24 hours anyway.

Tizoc

My main reason for liking Dead Souls is because I can play as Majima Goro blowing up mofos left and right with a shotgun
Also batting a grenade at a big ass monster

Haledos

Banned
Yakuza is still getting more vote per minute than VC3 as well, so we've not slowed down either! It's not many, but the longer it goes on, the bigger the gap will be!

Tizoc

Ya know what would be a BASED SEGATA SANSHIRO case scenario?
Y5 and 1+2 HD GET announced by SEGA, and after seeing how well the request for VC3 is, they give the OK to get that localized.

Mrfb17

Neo Member
Just voted! Looks like it's around 200 votes in front. I have everythinh crossed this will happen, I love the Yakuza series and 5 looks like they went all out before the generation change!

When does voting end?

They should allow pre-orders just to see if they can hit the necessary number. Once they reach it they charge the money to make sure people don't cancel and then we just wait for the game. I'd be down for it.

hunterst

Neo Member
Nice to see Yakuza 5 gaining momentum. Played the Japanese version and loved it, even without understanding the language.

Stuart444

Nice to see Y5 winning the poll even if ultimately it won't do anything but still nice.

Also I finally got Yakuza 5 and I am enjoying it. If it gets localized, I am double dipping though :D

dubq

Yakuza 5 (42%, 4,084 Votes)
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (39%, 3,839 Votes)
Shining Hearts (12%, 1,193 Votes)
Yakuza HD Remakes (7%, 679 Votes)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nice to see Y5 winning the poll even if ultimately it won't do anything but still nice.

Also I finally got Yakuza 5 and I am enjoying it. If it gets localized, I am double dipping though :D

well at least SEGA will know there is a decent demand for Y5.

OnFire331

It seems that Yakuza 5 is winning the Operation Rainfall poll now, as it should be. No way in hell Sega is localizing a PSP game now so why waste the effort?

dubq

If they put it on PSN people can play it on the Vita right?

They can. I think the native Japanese version is also on the Japanese PSN as a downloadable title, no?

----

They updated the site:

UPDATE 07/17/2013- Wow, the results so far have been great! It is good to see so many passionate fans doing their part for game localization. We’d like to clarify to our voters that the point of the polls is to show SEGA and Konami that there is an genuine interest for these games to be localized and that people will buy them. Even though ultimately there will be a “winner”, there are no losers, as all polling information about all games will be sent to SEGA and Konami. Ultimately, the games that get the most votes will take first priority, but it is still possible that the other games in the polls will also be pitched as well. Thanks to those that have participated so far!

BlastProcessed

Neo Member
VC3 or Yakuza 5? Don't make me choose! I voted for Y5 just because it seems far more likely, since Sega (and everyone else) seems to have given up on the original PSP.

cj_iwakura

Great news. I assume early on only OPR's fans were involved, which meant big VC3 bias, then the Yakuza community caught on.

Haledos

Banned
I'd definitely buy the HD collections if they came over (sweet sweet trophies would force me to experience the content I never did all those years ago), but I just can't see Sega bringing them over...

IrishNinja

comment section over there keeps going on about "sega's yakuza localization guy was sacked, that's why it''s not out", same as the other guy here - where are they getting this from? can anyone point to something concrete there? it keeps coming up, practically meme status

Persona86

Banned
I did my vote, probably won't do anything. But I still have hope this will come eventually. Please SEGA!

Also I've finally been unbanned, good to be back. :)

Top Bottom