• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

*steps away from hostess club managing*

OK THAT'S ENOUGH

I need to go to a funeral and I'm late because I'm dealing with these women's petty problems and missing scarves. I give you 100,000 yen bonuses every day just to manage your fickle mood, go buy your own fucking scarves!

My aunt is in Japan at the moment and she just picked both Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Ishin for me :D. Very happy gamer right now. Can't wait for her to return ^.^ maybe I should see if she can find a copy of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD.

11694054_10153204605856032_7133921591001218285_n.jpg

I should really just import them. I have kenzan I bought in japan in 2010 and I never got the courage to open a walkthrough and go on with it

I should really just import them. I have kenzan I bought in japan in 2010 and I never got the courage to open a walkthrough and go on with it

Do it! Kenzan! still remains one of the best (if not the best) of the series for me. Using a walkthrough isn't perfect (I somehow missed out on one side mission, so I never fought
Amon
) but its still a much better option compared to never playing it (I think its safe to say its not going to get translated :( )
I really do need to replay it some time, if for no other reason than to fight
Amon
(its the only game in the series I've yet to do so).

cj_iwakura

*steps away from hostess club managing*

OK THAT'S ENOUGH

I need to go to a funeral and I'm late because I'm dealing with these women's petty problems and missing scarves. I give you 100,000 yen bonuses every day just to manage your fickle mood, go buy your own fucking scarves!

Fortunately it's more about interior decorating than those divas. How upgraded did your club get?

really wish y5 was being localized and ported for Ps4 instead of 3

I'd certainly prefer a PS4 up port in the same vain as Ishin and 0, but I'd imagine that'd definitely be above the effort Sony/Sega would want to put into the localisation. I'm still somewhat amazed the game is getting translated at all, even if it'll probably meet the same fate as Yakuza 2 did - getting released after the next generation had started and widely ignored...

Ultimately I'm hoping Sega release all the games for Steam somewhere down the line. Kenzan, 3, 4 and I guess Dead Souls could all do with sprucing up, they run at sub HD resolutions that make them look slightly softer/blurry on my TV (5 thankfully runs at 720p so looks much better in that regard).
Plus other than the improved resolutions, I'd hope for better texturing, frame rate (the new games battles feel so slick and smooth at 60FPS) etc. Or at least do the in thing and re-release the games again on the PS4 at least in Japan. I'd be down with that too...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
As sort of an aside, Takashi Miike (Thirteen Assassins, The Audition) 's Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld is getting an EU release through Manga Home Entertainment. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oumd_pLPADQ

No word on a NA release yet, as far as I know :< Might end up importing this.

MikeMyers

Interested in getting involved with this series. As a PS3 owner whose PS3 cannot play PS2 games, where is a good place to start?

oneida

misplaced my copy of Y1 and spent most of the summer looking for it
snagged a sealed copy on ebay for $30 sealed, i guess that's ok

Aki-at

Interested in getting involved with this series. As a PS3 owner whose PS3 cannot play PS2 games, where is a good place to start?

Most people find 4 the better game since it has a faster pace and more characters but I'd recommend starting at 3 anyway which is still a great game in it's own right.

As sort of an aside, Takashi Miike (Thirteen Assassins, The Audition) 's Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld is getting an EU release through Manga Home Entertainment. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oumd_pLPADQ

No word on a NA release yet, as far as I know :< Might end up importing this.

First 30 seconds: This film seems pretty normal looking for the title it has.
Last 30 seconds: My mind is full of wat.

Harmen

I haven't followed Yakuza new lately, but is there at least some indication when Y5 hits the stores? Because I was expecting it to be released in the summer actually (wasn't that the plan?).

Still hate that they localised that crappy zombie spinoff that bombed and that they almost seem to be doing their best to make the sales potential of 5 even worse because the PS3 userbase is shrinking by the day. And those two combined makes me worried we will never see another one localised.

I haven't followed Yakuza new lately, but is there at least some indication when Y5 hits the stores? Because I was expecting it to be released in the summer actually (wasn't that the plan?).

Still hate that they localised that crappy zombie spinoff that bombed and that they almost seem to be doing their best to make the sales potential of 5 even worse because the PS3 userbase is shrinking by the day. And those two combined makes me worried we will never see another one localised.

We just had a second dev diary in english so its coming. But 0 time frame

If they announce yakuza ishin and yakuza zero localisation at tgs Ima cry foreal lol

I'm dreaming aren't I :(

Ishin's not happening, only reason Dead Souls got translated was that it was a zombie shooter game. Just import Ishin and use the guide KHH Subs wrote on his site, I was able to plat the game and enjoy the story with no issues.

0 might still have a chance, at least its set in the main universe. But even then I can't see them saying anything until 5 is released. And TGS is for Japanese announcements so the most you'll get is either a new Japanese Yakuza announcement or the non Yakuza game the studio mentioned recently.

I'd just bite the bullet and import. That's what I started doing after 4 and its worked out fine for me. I'd rather have to refer to a guide here and there rather than not play the games at all. 5 and Ishin were both brilliant and 0 is seriously shaping up to be the best of the lot from what I've played so far.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I finally went ahead and imported 0 and Ishin without knowing a lick of Japanese(as well as Sumeragi, but I know the basics of those games). PRobably won't be able to do too much, but I'd just like to touch them and mess around with that world. 80s Japan is too much to pass up and it's a game I don't mind buying twice if they localize it.

And I never got to play Kenzan, so I figure I'd at least try Ishin. Of course this means the Y5 port will be announced as soon as I start them or something.

I beat 1 a few days ago and just got to chapter 5 of 2. I wish I had played these years ago, they are such great games.

Yakuza 2 is quickly jumping into my list of perfect sequels. It's a game that improved on everything it needed to improve on, and scaled back on everything it needed to scale back on; built on all the best elements of the last story for it's sequels, while playing on all of my favorite sequels tropes. (New locations, a new rival character, building on characters from the last game and letting them grow instead of just letting them stagnate or resort to boring "trust issue" tropes).

Plus the localization improved immensely when it didn't need to work with an English dub. I'm so glad I decided to start from the beginning of this series.

Sgblues

I finally went ahead and imported 0 and Ishin without knowing a lick of Japanese(as well as Sumeragi, but I know the basics of those games). PRobably won't be able to do too much, but I'd just like to touch them and mess around with that world. 80s Japan is too much to pass up and it's a game I don't mind buying twice if they localize it.

And I never got to play Kenzan, so I figure I'd at least try Ishin. Of course this means the Y5 port will be announced as soon as I start them or something.

Well its great you decided on getting Ishin and Zero to play, nothing wrong with not knowing any Japanese, sure it would(for the most part) make things a lot easier to understand but you shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying these games.

Can check out KHHSUBS, its a site run by a longtime Yakuza fan who, goes above and beyond in making guides and translating stuff for fans of the series new and old. His Ishin guide goes into great detail and is easy to understand, his Zero guide is still being completed but most of the stuff has been translated and explained on Kiryu's side.

There are other places that have guides but these are in Japanese, so some translating would be needed to understand:

Kouryakutsushin which is the &#40845;&#12364;&#22914;&#12367; (like a dragon) unofficial wiki site(it covers some other games too) it hasn't been updated on Zero stuff yet though.

Dswiipspwikips3 is a guide site that goes into detail about many games(not just Yakuza) and also has videos explaining many things and strats to complete challenges and minigames should you have problems.

Spwiki is another site with information(I haven't really looked at this one much) but it lists everything that you need to know on the main story, substories, abilities and whatnot.

I beat 1 a few days ago and just got to chapter 5 of 2. I wish I had played these years ago, they are such great games.

Yakuza 2 is quickly jumping into my list of perfect sequels. It's a game that improved on everything it needed to improve on, and scaled back on everything it needed to scale back on; built on all the best elements of the last story for it's sequels, while playing on all of my favorite sequels tropes. (New locations, a new rival character, building on characters from the last game and letting them grow instead of just letting them stagnate or resort to boring "trust issue" tropes).

Plus the localization improved immensely when it didn't need to work with an English dub. I'm so glad I decided to start from the beginning of this series.

Grats on beating Y1 and currently enjoying playing through Y2, yep Yakuza 2 improved a lot in the sequel and added a lot of things and modes that would become staples of the series later on, the story is one of the best(if not the best) with Ryuji Goda being one of my favorite characters. I wish the HD collection would be localized so that people could enjoy Y1 and 2 or just having the PS2 versions placed on psn would also be cool so people can play them.

oneida

First 30 seconds: This film seems pretty normal looking for the title it has.
Last 30 seconds: My mind is full of wat.

Any self respecting Yakuza fan shouldn't hesitate to dive into the films of Takashi Miike. He nails the same blend of stern, violent drama and plain silliness. I haven't seen this yet, but I can confidently recommend Thirteen Assassins, which plays like a mix between an old Kurosawa samurai film and Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds. It's on Netflix!

Spwiki is another site with information(I haven't really looked at this one much) but it lists everything that you need to know on the main story, substories, abilities and whatnot.

I've been using the above site loads for my Yakuza 0 playthrough. Its now at the point where the guide seems complete and its dead handy for side stuff (granted I've not looked at the other link you mentioned so I can't really compare the two.

Only link I'd add myself is:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaulbl7PSkYxUV7NGiq2kjQ

Salty Yen narrates/translates the story of Yakuza 0 as he plays. Its not perfect and it focuses on just the main story but its helped me fill in the blanks a lot for plot points. Plus he genuinely seems to be enjoying the game/story so he's quite funny to listen to around turning points in the story. Just beware that the video titles/images have mild spoilers to the chapter/future chapters.

Glad you played from the first game :) The series for me is very character driven, the catch up videos while excellent only give you a general overview of the game story and don't have enough time to delve into each character like playing through the games do. And yeah, Yakuza 2 is right alongside Megaman 2 in terms of perfect sequel that improved everything. Combat wise its just a huge leap forward compared to the first game, plus story wise Ryuuji is still my favourite badass rival/enemy in the series. Good luck getting 100% on that game though (if your trying that on your first playthrough). 2 easily had the strictest set of requirements to fight the hidden bosses out of the series so far in my opinion.

I brought back 1& 2 from Japan but my Japanese is pretty basic and my Kanji is first grade level. Is there a translation site that covers these 2 games?

Damn, Zero is getting good. Initially I was disappointed with this game as it has quite a slow start. Not in the same way Yakuza 3 does, mind. There's a lot of running about and it didn't grab me as much as other games in the series have done in the past.

But wow. The story is getting much better. Feel like I'm close to the end, but I've actually been powering through this time around so there will be plenty of side quests still left to complete afterwards.

So far, out of all the games I've played, I'd rank them: Yakuza 2 > Yakuza 3 > Yakuza Ishin > Yakuza 4 / Yakuza 1 >>> Yakuza Dead Souls.

I'm thinking Zero will probably slot on after Ishin and before 4 / 1, but I'd rather wait until the end to decide. Still a great game though, also super hyped for Yakuza 5. Been waiting for the English release for a while, but not as long as most.

Damn, Zero is getting good. Initially I was disappointed with this game as it has quite a slow start. Not in the same way Yakuza 3 does, mind. There's a lot of running about and it didn't grab me as much as other games in the series have done in the past.

But wow. The story is getting much better. Feel like I'm close to the end, but I've actually been powering through this time around so there will be plenty of side quests still left to complete afterwards.

Yeah, while the first chapter was a blast right out of the gate the story was fairly slow going, especially as they jumped to Majima in chapter 3. But the last few chapters (I'm up to Chapter 10) have been amazing both story wise and gameplay wise. The huge brawl I just finished that took place at the
Tojo Clan HQ (again!)
felt like a spiritual sequel to the Streets of Rage series more so than past set pieces in the series.

I then took a break from the bone breaking and completed the rush style training (the dodging training), did some more money island stuff and then completed the Disco Dancing mini game on all difficulties 3 staring all songs. Now back to the toy car racing before pushing on with the story.

https://youtu.be/Vn_GO50AAjE

Finished the game. The ending was fantastic, but leaves me with a short of sad emptiness inside. Those feels.

Some really shocking moments in the last few hours.
The sledgehammer to the face was a real "OH SHIT" moment. Was pretty impressed with how the finale was handled. So great to see Majima making a fool out of Dojima.

Yeah, while the first chapter was a blast right out of the gate the story was fairly slow going, especially as they jumped to Majima in chapter 3. But the last few chapters (I'm up to Chapter 10) have been amazing both story wise and gameplay wise. The huge brawl I just finished that took place at the
Tojo Clan HQ (again!)
felt like a spiritual sequel to the Streets of Rage series more so than past set pieces in the series.

I then took a break from the bone breaking and completed the rush style training (the dodging training), did some more money island stuff and then completed the Disco Dancing mini game on all difficulties 3 staring all songs. Now back to the toy car racing before pushing on with the story.

Wait until you get to the boat section. It's essentially a Streets of Rage stage. Even the music reminded me of that series!

The BitSocket guys did a Yakuza special recently on their podcast, and they described the gameplay of Yakuza perfectly - Streets of Rage meets SHENMUE.

Sgblues

Yeah I never saw Yakuza as being either Streets of Rage or Shenmue, its more the lines of a 3D River City Ransom with light rpg elements.

oneida

"I suggest you listen to me"

"I suggest you blow me"

y1 dub knocking it out of the park

oneida

neat! I wonder if the big voice cast indicated that sega had hoped Yakuza would catch the GTA wave.

I started with Y4, and moving from that to 1 I was worried the experience would be spoiled. but so much of the experience is present even in the first game, even with the combat segments. I'm about 9hrs in and I'm trying to get as close to 100% as I can without a guide.

Sgblues

neat! I wonder if the big voice cast indicated that sega had hoped Yakuza would catch the GTA wave.

I started with Y4, and moving from that to 1 I was worried the experience would be spoiled. but so much of the experience is present even in the first game, even with the combat segments. I'm about 9hrs in and I'm trying to get as close to 100% as I can without a guide.

Cool, have you seen the Jet Set radio reference yet?

Sgblues

if I did it went over my head. there was a mission where I kept punks from spray painting this place, was that it?

Its the "Drain the lizard"(NA) or "The man in the toilet" (JP) substory that takes place in children's park near the toilets, a voice asks for tissues, you give him some and he comes out and thanks you, introducing himself as Kyoji Rokkaku(NA) but its Goji Rokkaku(JP), the main bad guy from JSR even though he looks nothing like him, its probably the closest the series has come to crossing over with another.

oneida

Its the "Drain the lizard"(NA) or "The man in the toilet" (JP) substory that takes place in children's park near the toilets, a voice asks for tissues, you give him some and he comes out and thanks you, introducing himself as Kyoji Rokkaku(NA) but its Goji Rokkaku(JP), the main bad guy from JSR even though he looks nothing like him, its probably the closest the series has come to crossing over with another.
neat!

Kind of a shame that the voice cast credits for the first game didn't identified the actors for certain roles, such as with Yuya and Kazuki(who were fairly involved) plus Kashiwagi who was voiced by John DiMaggio and Terada who was clearly Gregg Berger...then there was Gary Anthony Williams playing Gary Buster Holmes.

Aki-at

Just wondering if anyone is starting the official Yakuza 5 thread or need help with it? Since the release seems to be round the corner wanted to set one up or contribute to it anyway I can.

cj_iwakura

One quick and dirty

2zDst5D.gif

But yeah I'm willing to help with banners, never contributed to a thread before but I'd love to help out whatever way for Yakuza 5.

If you can slap some text on the banner I have, that'll help a lot. I'll PM you.

Is anyone able to translate the text on the intro reels? Parakeetman? I could go wikia diving, but i'd rather avoid spoilers. What I think I'lll do is something like:

_
Text

*gif of transition from video, one character leading to the next*

Next, and so on.

cj_iwakura

So hopefully my execution's as good as the envisioning, but this is something like what I want to do for Y5's character section:

ZxzbuL4.jpg

QZOpDml.gif

KBgMrse.jpg

so i finaly found a copy of yakuza 1 for a decent price, i've played for about an hour and i'm at the start of chapter two. so far i've beaten up some guys with a bike, got some food and won one small and one big yellow chicken at my first try on ufo catcher. the combat feels really good and i lije the big dumb text that tells you what to do. the loading when changing camera view on the street is a shame but i can deal with it for now.

so now i'm fighting the yakuza at stardust and i realised i have no clue how to dodge so i'm getting my ass kicked. i tried looking in the manual but i'm still having trouble

Top Bottom