• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
so i finaly found a copy of yakuza 1 for a decent price, i've played for about an hour and i'm at the start of chapter two. so far i've beaten up some guys with a bike, got some food and won one small and one big yellow chicken at my first try on ufo catcher. the combat feels really good and i lije the big dumb text that tells you what to do. the loading when changing camera view on the street is a shame but i can deal with it for now.

so now i'm fighting the yakuza at stardust and i realised i have no clue how to dodge so i'm getting my ass kicked. i tried looking in the manual but i'm still having trouble
you haven't learned to dodge yet, that comes later

Wow! I just found out that Yakuza PSP was Developed by AKI( Famous for WWE and WCW Wrestling Games and Def Jam: Fight for NY). Makes me wanna Import this game.

Sgblues

Wow! I just found out that Yakuza PSP was Developed by AKI( Famous for WWE and WCW Wrestling Games and Def Jam: Fight for NY). Makes me wanna Import this game.

Oh yeah they are great games, the main character Tatsuya is a bit of a hothead but mellows out a bit, I do miss his voice actor in Kurohyou 2 though.

...still no date on 5 eh

im ready when you are segas

Yeah having a release date would put a lot of people's minds at ease.

+1 for this. One of the best designed character of the saga in my opinion, great charisma and his fighting style is just awesome, unique and among Yakuza 4's new characters, the most balanced.
Totally. So much fun to fight with. He was just the coolest character.

Now that I'm more comfortable playing the games in Japanese I may actually import the PSP games.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I never played this series, but I decided to start at Yakuza 3 down the road. I picked up 3 and 4. I've heard Dead Souls isn't as good, though. Should I blind buy it before even playing 3?

It may seem like an obvious answer, but the game will probably get rare at some point, so I usually like to buy older games before amassing them becomes incredibly expensive.

cj_iwakura

I never played this series, but I decided to start at Yakuza 3 down the road. I picked up 3 and 4. I've heard Dead Souls isn't as good, though. Should I blind buy it before even playing 3?

It may seem like an obvious answer, but the game will probably get rare at some point, so I usually like to buy older games before amassing them becomes incredibly expensive.

Dead Souls has its charms, but it is by a mile the worst of the bunch. I got it for $15 and felt it was totally worth it.

SephLuis

Dead Souls is a spin off and it doesn't really connect to any other title. I liked it, but I also understand the complains. The gameplay is also very different from the rest of the series, so it's better for you to start with Y3.

Y3 starts slow and builds upon what happened on Y1 and Y2. You don't need to play both, but you will appreciate more. Y3 has great recaps for both games, but I would only watch if you cannot play both games (they are amazing, especially Y2).

Y4 is almost an entire new beginning, making it better for newcomers. I would advise for you to start either at Y2 or Y4.

people

Over the last few weeks I've been playing through Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls (repeatedly), starting with Y3. I think I can agree with some/many that Y4 is the 'best' and DS the worst from these three.

Y4 offers improvements over Y3 in terms of game play/controls as well as more diversity with more playable characters, although it's debatable how fun some of them are to play or story-wise. On the other hand I'm glad I started with Y3, because I can imagine going back to Y3 after playing Y4 could be frustrating. I'm realizing that now, after convincing myself to seriously attempt Platinum for both..

One of the things I very much appreciated about the series is the general lack of vehicle game play, although I hated the sections that featured it the absolute most. Mandatory driving, or racing in open world/city games is not something I enjoy, Sleeping Dogs (and ****_Dogs) reminded me of that.

So, Dead Souls. I had read it was bad, that usually makes me curious to find out how bad or what people mean by that. Haha. At first I kind of enjoyed the different combat mechanics along with the familiar setting and characters, or so I thought. It just gets very tedious and by the third character/chapter I had really started to feel regret, especially on Dead Souls difficulty. Oh, and Dead Souls difficulty is ridiculous. Not impossible, just BS and even more tedious. The much hated QTE's aren't so bad though, once you know how to 'cheese' them, but not quite Knight's Contract level of frustrating.

In summary, I enjoyed most of my time with the (western released PS3) series, but I fear I may have burnt myself (out) a bit by playing through them repeatedly over the last weeks, playing through DS three times in particular. I have 'only' a few trophies (mini-games and Ultimate Challenges, lol) to clean up for either, so I imagine I keep working on those when I'm feeling the heat.

Reposting here as its more appropriate

I have always wanted to play this series but i have no clue where to begin.
I dont know what entries are stand alone or connected
Anyone wanna lay them out for me as well as what platforms their on?

Edit
Disregard
Got my answer

cj_iwakura

Reposting here as its more appropriate

I have always wanted to play this series but i have no clue where to begin.
I dont know what entries are stand alone or connected
Anyone wanna lay them out for me as well as what platforms their on?

Heh, funny since I directed you here after. :p I think the OP breaks down the platforms pretty well, all the mainline games are integral to each other, but the newest ones summarize them really well. No substitute for playing them, but if you have to dive in late(I suggest 3 or 4 for the PS3), you'll be fine.

Over the last few weeks I've been playing through Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls (repeatedly), starting with Y3. I think I can agree with some/many that Y4 is the 'best' and DS the worst from these three.

Y4 offers improvements over Y3 in terms of game play/controls as well as more diversity with more playable characters, although it's debatable how fun some of them are to play or story-wise. On the other hand I'm glad I started with Y3, because I can imagine going back to Y3 after playing Y4 could be frustrating. I'm realizing that now, after convincing myself to seriously attempt Platinum for both..

One of the things I very much appreciated about the series is the general lack of vehicle game play, although I hated the sections that featured it the absolute most. Mandatory driving, or racing in open world/city games is not something I enjoy, Sleeping Dogs (and ****_Dogs) reminded me of that.

So, Dead Souls. I had read it was bad, that usually makes me curious to find out how bad or what people mean by that. Haha. At first I kind of enjoyed the different combat mechanics along with the familiar setting and characters, or so I thought. It just gets very tedious and by the third character/chapter I had really started to feel regret, especially on Dead Souls difficulty. Oh, and Dead Souls difficulty is ridiculous. Not impossible, just BS and even more tedious. The much hated QTE's aren't so bad though, once you know how to 'cheese' them, but not quite Knight's Contract level of frustrating.

In summary, I enjoyed most of my time with the (western released PS3) series, but I fear I may have burnt myself (out) a bit by playing through them repeatedly over the last weeks, playing through DS three times in particular. I have 'only' a few trophies (mini-games and Ultimate Challenges, lol) to clean up for either, so I imagine I keep working on those when I'm feeling the heat.

You don't wanna do that. It's like playing 3 assassin's creed games back to back.
Also doesn't help that they all take place in Kamurocho for the most part.

IrishNinja

not that it helps but i did pick up 1/2 HD for PS3 import for like...$25 shipped. only recommended if you've already played em!

not that it helps but i did pick up 1/2 HD for PS3 import for like...$25 shipped. only recommended if you've already played em!

Totally worth it (if you've already played them that is). The improvements to item management alone helped an awful lot at points. Plus the trophies were a welcome inclusion to the games. Once I get round to replaying Y2 on the hardest difficulty I'll have the platinum on that game. No luck on the original though, I'm one trophy short of the platinum (Haruka's trust highest rank) but the batting centre requirement seems almost impossible!

It'll be interesting to see the first new details of the next Yakuza game next week. Not sure what I want to be honest, bar it being a sequel set after the events of Yakuza 5 and not really feature (major spoilers)
Kiryu as his story is done at the end of 5 in my opinion. Majima's as well. I thought one thing they did well in that game was set it up for other characters to step up and take their places. I'd personally love a gritty crime drama that focuses on Date, he's one of my favourite characters that gets so little screen time these days).

Picked up Yakuza 3 as my first Yakuza and really liking it so far (on Chapter 10). Definitely going to dive into the rest of the series now. If I import the PS3 or Wii U Yakuza 1 and 2 HD, is there an option for English menus and subtitles?

Desmond

I bought all of the series when I was in Japan. Did I make a mistake starting with 0?im playing purely or story. Lol

IrishNinja

Once I get round to replaying Y2 on the hardest difficulty I'll have the platinum on that game. No luck on the original though, I'm one trophy short of the platinum (Haruka's trust highest rank) but the batting centre requirement seems almost impossible!

damn, good luck man - i'd love to one day see someone with a clean sweep of yakuza 1-5 plats, haha.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys just a small question. Does Y5 follow the same story structure as Y4 ?

I-e different character arcs and each arc begins with you at level 1 ? or is it like 1-3 ?

Aki-at

Guys just a small question. Does Y5 follow the same story structure as Y4 ?

I-e different character arcs and each arc begins with you at level 1 ? or is it like 1-3 ?

Yes it's just like 4, with the final arc having your characters at the level you left them off on.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Why is that?
The gameplay differences won't bother me too much lol
0 is the most recent entry in the series so you should play it last. correct order is 1 2 3 4 5 0. like each game since the first 0 uses your familiarity with the characters to support the drama. pretty much every entry gives homage to the first game.

cj_iwakura

Yes it's just like 4, with the final arc having your characters at the level you left them off on.

And then hopefully Haruka assumes her rightful place as the head of the Dojima Family.
(If anyone has a problem with her being from an orphanage, the price is: she removes your head.)

damn, good luck man - i'd love to one day see someone with a clean sweep of yakuza 1-5 plats, haha.

Unlikely I'll manage that, Yakuza 3 and 5 still stand in my way with their mini game completion trophies. I might be able to do 0 though, depending on how hard the challenge list is to complete.

Aki-at

And then hopefully Haruka assumes her rightful place as the head of the Dojima Family.
(If anyone has a problem with her being from an orphanage, the price is: she removes your head.)

I prefer Haruka continuing the Kiryu tradition of beating you to an inch of your life but pulling out at the last second as you hand over a Stamina X.

The only way to pacify gangstas in Yakuza.

IrishNinja

Unlikely I'll manage that, Yakuza 3 and 5 still stand in my way with their mini game completion trophies. I might be able to do 0 though, depending on how hard the challenge list is to complete.

bruh...3 is everyone's hurdle. i imagine 5 is tricky but can't see it being worse than 3. damn.

bruh...3 is everyone's hurdle. i imagine 5 is tricky but can't see it being worse than 3. damn.

Y5 is at least compared to other games in the series, its not as bad as 3 with the mini games I think, but it has an insane number of them to complete. That said, I'm really looking forward to playing the English version even after putting 150+ hours into the Japanese version. The mini games and extra stuff included in that game is going to be a joy to replay!

Meanwhile, I'm making great progress on the completion list on Yakuza 0 - I'm up to 86% now. Just completed the Osaka fishing mini game, onto Tokyo fishing next I think...

dreamfall

Just thinking about how 5 is coming soon, and how badass Saejima is.

Any update on the fan translation of Black Panther? I really loved leaving that demo on my PSP and just running around forever.

Just thinking about how 5 is coming soon, and how badass Saejima is.

Any update on the fan translation of Black Panther? I really loved leaving that demo on my PSP and just running around forever.

Black Panther is still being worked on, but I get the distinct impression we won't be seeing the translation until late next year at the earliest. I'm really excited to play it again, I played through the Japanese version on release and while it doesn't have epic set pieces in the style of traditional Yakuza games (the focus is skewered to one on one battles) the rank battles in the fighting arena at the end of each chapter are bloody brilliant. Its got some of my favourite battles in the series.

And yeah, add me as another Seijima fan. While he's not my favourite character from 4, 5 really does flesh his character out nicely. Out of all the characters in the entire game he's easily my favourite. Plus he finally got a damn haircut. Oh, and his "Another Life" side story is easily my favourite of all the characters.

I made a load of progress on Yakuza 0 yesterday - bumped my challenge list completion rate to 92%. Mainly down to missing a few easy bits in the incoming section, but I also completed the money requirement on Pool. Thankfully you earn money in a rather straight forward trick shot competition. I'm really glad that things were overhauled completion wise for Y0 - it makes it feel fresher and certain mini games don't feel anywhere near as hard. I've just got Poker, Bacarat, one of the Japanese gambling games and a couple of the tougher hands of Mah Jong to finish that section now.

DryvBy

I enjoyed Dead Souls for what it was. It's nothing amazing but i got it for $20 and didn't regret it.

A Remaster with 60FPS and using Yakuza 0 assets? Throw in Kenzan and Ishin and it would be a Day 1.

I'm already buying whatever it is day 1, but a remaster of the 5 main games will be absolutely awesome, especially as 3-5 could really do with the bump in visuals, textures and frame rate. Kenzan! and maybe Dead Souls needs to happen as well, just so I can have the entire series on the PS4.

SephLuis

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/11088254.html

From this latest interview, he doesn't say anything specific but it sounds like a new announcement this week is a 1-5 remaster. What do you think if that's the case? It doesn't mean a remaster will be coming worldwide though.

I didn't try to read it, but I think it's odd for them to remake/port every main line game.
From them I am expecting a new IP (or Binary Domain 2) as their next game before Yakuza 6

lawrence7

Well oops^^ Then yeah. A 70s Yakuza would be fun. Although I don't know anything about Japan in the 60s/70s and if it was anything like in the west.

Yep, 70s would be great.

I love this movie:

r218qGR.jpg

Top Bottom