• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

AHindD

As I said before, I think we are getting Y0 either way. The sucess of Y5, however, can lead to even faster localizations.

What makes you say that? Don't get me wrong, I would loose my shit if it was also coming to the west (or anything vaguely Yakuza series related), but their current track record and recent interviews don't leave me with alot of hope.

cj_iwakura

Uh, so there's no in-game guide for shogi whatsoever in Y2. I gather it's kind of like chess, but not really? Is there a good guide anywhere?

Labadal

Mopping up the last sub stories in Yakuza 4. I only have Kazuma's left.

I'm also doing a quick replay of Yakuza 2. Not doing much other than the main story.

Uh, so there's no in-game guide for shogi whatsoever in Y2. I gather it's kind of like chess, but not really? Is there a good guide anywhere?

Barticle has some decent guides over at Gamefaqs. I can't get my head around Shogi for the life of me though, its the one mini game that continues to confuse me even after picking up Mah Jong.

cj_iwakura

Barticle has some decent guides over at Gamefaqs. I can't get my head around Shogi for the life of me though, its the one mini game that continues to confuse me even after picking up Mah Jong.

It seems possible with trial and error, but I'd probably have to start getting pictures of the pieces and memorizing the symbols at this point.

It seems possible with trial and error, but I'd probably have to start getting pictures of the pieces and memorizing the symbols at this point.

Yeah, that's a similar way I learnt the symbols for some of the Mah Jong tiles, it does take a while but it would be possible to get down. For Shogi though, I just can't get my head around the ways the different tiles can move. I really should designate more time into really learning the game more... But it is rather easy to cheese Shogi when you know how (this is mainly for Yakuza 3 and up when you have to complete X number of games for the completion list).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
too bad there's a mission in the main narrative that requires you win at shoji! or spend ¥70000... or 'cheat'...

I always try to play shogi, but I wind up losing in like one minute and completely stumped. Maybe I'll finally get it right with 5.

Mahjong, on the other hand, I'm completely addicted to in the Yakuza games. It's one of my favorite side activities.

SephLuis

What makes you say that? Don't get me wrong, I would loose my shit if it was also coming to the west (or anything vaguely Yakuza series related), but their current track record and recent interviews don't leave me with alot of hope.

The first leak that indicated the existence of Yakuza 5 US version also contained an indication for Yakuza 0. That's pretty much it what is keeping me hopeful. Don't ask me for a link because it's old, I just remember it was a Sony list with future (at the time) games.

Besides that, Yakuza 0 is one of the titles that I believe Sony would like to use to increase the number of exclusives of the PS4. It's a very good game. They could also use Ishin for that, but I believe they would like to bring only the main titles, especially to decrease the wait between the US release and the japanese one.

If Y5 or the hypothetical US localization of Y0 sell really well, we are bound to get other main titles such as Yakuza 6 and maybe Yakuza Kiwami. Essentially, the results of Y5 (and perhaps Y0) can lead into a resurrection of the series outside Asia. I am not saying it's going to sell millions, but enough units to bring the games for the fans while Sega enjoys some nice profit.

By bringing only Yakuza 5, a last-gen release only, to decide if they would bring Y0 wouldn't be very smart strategy since they would lose a position where the PS4 is flying off the shelves and people are wanting more content. By starting the localization efforts earlier, they have more control about when to launch to maximize sales.

My guess is that a smaller team is already working on Y0 and, when Y5 is finished, the bigger team will help with it. Depending on the results of Y5, they might get Kiwami or Y6 earlier. In the same vein, if it bombs really hard, they could cancel everything.

This is just a guess of mine with a lot of hope included. My gut says it's going to be localized and I really hope it does.

AHindD

The first leak that indicated the existence of Yakuza 5 US version also contained an indication for Yakuza 0. That's pretty much it what is keeping me hopeful. Don't ask me for a link because it's old, I just remember it was a Sony list with future (at the time) games.

Besides that, Yakuza 0 is one of the titles that I believe Sony would like to use to increase the number of exclusives of the PS4. It's a very good game. They could also use Ishin for that, but I believe they would like to bring only the main titles, especially to decrease the wait between the US release and the japanese one.

If Y5 or the hypothetical US localization of Y0 sell really well, we are bound to get other main titles such as Yakuza 6 and maybe Yakuza Kiwami. Essentially, the results of Y5 (and perhaps Y0) can lead into a resurrection of the series outside Asia. I am not saying it's going to sell millions, but enough units to bring the games for the fans while Sega enjoys some nice profit.

By bringing only Yakuza 5, a last-gen release only, to decide if they would bring Y0 wouldn't be very smart strategy since they would lose a position where the PS4 is flying off the shelves and people are wanting more content. By starting the localization efforts earlier, they have more control about when to launch to maximize sales.

My guess is that a smaller team is already working on Y0 and, when Y5 is finished, the bigger team will help with it. Depending on the results of Y5, they might get Kiwami or Y6 earlier. In the same vein, if it bombs really hard, they could cancel everything.

This is just a guess of mine with a lot of hope included. My gut says it's going to be localized and I really hope it does.

Cheers for this, and by the Gods I hope the series continues in the West, Yakuza 3/4 are possibly my 2 favorite games of all damn time.
If anything though, it does make sense for Sega / Sony to 'test the waters' for a PS4 Yakuza game release in the West; Yakuza 0 / 6 would be perfect for that.

Gacha-pin

New Kiwami Trailer(?) featuring Receive you [Reborn]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2ZKXsJcI4

I hoping they would update the ending to show
Akiyama near Millennium Tower when it explodes and the money comes down like in his backstory in Y4, since in Y1 there was a homeless guy with a hat but he was just a nondescript npc before it got retconned.

Also I wonder if they would update/change the "man in the toilet" or "Drain the lizard" substory that has
Gouji Rokkaku of Jet Set Radio in it
to make it look more like him or make it someone else completely.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031724/20150925106/
4Gamer:
 錦山に限らないというと,例えば秋山や冴島など,その後のシリーズに登場したキャラクターのシナリオみたいなものは,あったりするんですか。

横山氏:
 いろいろ考えたんですが,それはやっていません。それをやってしまうと,世界が崩れてしまう恐れがあります。無理に作っても,あまりファンサービスになるとは思わなかったんです。

It's confirmed
Akiyama is not to be in Kiwami

Sgblues

New Kiwami Trailer(?) featuring Receive you [Reborn]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2ZKXsJcI4

http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031724/20150925106/

It's confirmed
Akiyama is not to be in Kiwami

Then the retcon in Y4 of him being near Millennium Tower when the bomb exploded is gonna get changed back to how it was in the original game? That's kinda dumb as I liked how they made the change in the first place and how Akiyama is grateful to Kiryu for inadvertently changing his life.

Then the retcon in Y4 of him being near Millennium Tower when the bomb exploded is gonna get changed back to how it was in the original game? That's kinda dumb as I liked how they made the change in the first place and how Akiyama is grateful to Kiryu for inadvertently changing his life.

Wouldn't this be considered a spoiler for those that haven't played Y4 yet ?

Not really... it's pretty minor in the grand scheme.

yea, it's a pretty minor bit of back story...though not including Akiyama to make the retcon fit seems odd since it looks like Kiwami is trying to make the original story fit with what has been established in the later games (not to mention looking to expand Majima and Nishiki's original roles).

It's not like, say, sticking Saejima in the same prison with Kiryu for a minor cameo which seems more fan service in comparison.

SephLuis

yea, it's a pretty minor bit of back story...though not including Akiyama to make the retcon fit seems odd since it looks like Kiwami is trying to make the original story fit with what has been established in the later games (not to mention looking to expand Majima and Nishiki's original roles).

It's not like, say, sticking Saejima in the same prison with Kiryu for a minor cameo which seems more fan service in comparison.

I wouldn't even consider Akiyama story as a retcon, because we couldn't see everyone in the streets in the first game. It would be a nice bonus, but not something that needs to be there so that the game doesn't conflict with other titles.

MikeMyers

Might order Yakuza 3 tonight (my PS3 doesnt play PS2 games, so no 1 or 2). Would it be worth it, or would I be lost since I skipped 1 or 2?

Labadal

I'm surprised about how much I forgot about Yakuza 2 and its plot. It's almost like playing a new game (with worse controls).

Might order Yakuza 3 tonight (my PS3 doesnt play PS2 games, so no 1 or 2). Would it be worth it, or would I be lost since I skipped 1 or 2?

There are recap videos for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2 in the menu so don't worry about getting lost.

I think I should advise you to be patient with Y3. Game starts slowly and it takes a while before the story gets going. So don't get discourage and keep on playing. When the game picks up the pace it'll all be worth it.

Gacha-pin

I kinda did it again ;p
What Yokoyama said in that interview is "Unlike Nishiki & his sister (and Yumi), there won't be an additional episode for Akiyama/Saejima." He didn't say if Akiyama will be in Kiwami or not

btw, there is an Akiyama-ish homeless guy in the ending movie of the first game
https://youtu.be/15geVQSi9Ak?t=25m
(skip to 25m)

Yes, but it's better than starting from 4. Even though Many Yakuza gaffers recommend 4 as an entry for the series.

As mentioned, make sure you fully watch the recap videos, and have a bit of patience with the start of the game.

Yakuza 3 is a slow start, but the opening hours of the game rank among the most unique moments in the series. Just keep at it for a little bit if it seems kind of slow to you, because it's not really indicative of where the game goes from there.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's really worth playing the first two games, regardless of whether or not you'll comprehend 3's story. They're really good games.

I wouldn't even consider Akiyama story as a retcon, because we couldn't see everyone in the streets in the first game. It would be a nice bonus, but not something that needs to be there so that the game doesn't conflict with other titles.

My perception of the retcon was that the homeless person they focused on the first game turned out to be Akiyama, but you do have a point.

Sgblues

I kinda did it again ;p

FRVssSk.gif

btw, there is an Akiyama-ish homeless guy in the ending movie of the first game
https://youtu.be/15geVQSi9Ak?t=25m
(skip to 25m)

This was for me to know? Or for everyone else who, may not have known?

Because if its for me....then you did it again....and you know what that means....

OTmAWYm.gif

I don't think that Nagoshi's part has come up yet. This is an event to cover a number of Sega games, and it seems like Yakuza will be the star of it, so it's probably last.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks.

So it's like Atlus's Persona streams? Ugh, I hate it when companies do these. Just give us the news already.

They are talking about Phantasy Star Online at the moment.

Do you know how long will the stream be? Please don't tell me It's another 72 hours long stream.

Gacha-pin

This was for me to know? Or for everyone else who, may not have known?

Because if its for me....then you did it again....and you know what that means....

As they said regarding the story (movie) part of Kiwami like they are trying to follow the original and not to change the cam work, frame layout and overall direction other than remaking them using the latest mo capture tech. I mean, there was an Akiyama-ish homeless in the original, there will be the same homeless in the same part of the movie in Kiwami.

So what happened to the stream that was suppose to show more about Y6? Wasn't it an a hour ago? Did they actually show anything?

Here is the link: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv232756118

It won't let me watch it though :(

It's just a few seconds brief clip of Takeshi saying 「やっと会えたな、兄ちゃん」

That gif was all we got.

Well its an awesome start. I wonder how much showing off 6 will get in the run up Remake being released? I'd imagine they'll focus on that until January when we get Remake (and a demo of 6) and then they'll ramp up on the promo for 6.

Do you guys know any good place to read about story, characters and world of the series? Things like biography of each character and from which clan they are, relationships between different clans, etc etc.

I want to introduce the series to my friends but they are most likely wanna try the latest game in the series so they have to catch up with characters and story so far.

SephLuis

Do you guys know any good place to read about story, characters and world of the series? Things like biography of each character and from which clan they are, relationships between different clans, etc etc.

I want to introduce the series to my friends but they are most likely wanna try the latest game in the series so they have to catch up with characters and story so far.

Way too complex for a website reading. And I don't think it would be fun.

The latest main entry to be localized was Yakuza 4, might as well push them into playing that.

Labadal

They can watch the story videos that summarizes the earlier games in the series. That's the best I got.

Top Bottom