• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yard Sale / Thrift Store Finds Thread

Anyone finding good deals so far this year?

Post your finds here! Can be from actual yard sales, Facebook yard sale groups, Craigslist, or thrift stores. Even eBay is fine.

spock

Hope this thread sticks around, love hearing about this kind of thing and could use some advice on the subject. I'll post some finds in a few. One that stands out is finding a first edition white fang for 2 bucks. Still have it to. I'm decent at finding stuff but lack I selling the stuff.

Shadybiz

I got a pretty sweet, almost completely blemish free La Z Boy recliner (fake leather) for $35 at a thrift store. I WAS a bit hesitant to buy it, because of fear of bed bugs, but I couldn't resist. It's been a few months now with no issue, so I guess we're good.

Also got one of those big Craftsman tool cabinets, with the small top cabinet, for $105 on Craigslist. Pretty great deal...something like that normally goes for a few hundred.

Hard to find much of anything on the North Shore (MA). Yard sale hunting and sniping is very real, to the point where people will show up early and act like assholes if you don't give them a discount or sell to them early.

Here's by best deal last weekend. Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel for $10. Works fine.

E4fpdr3.jpg

Some other recent deals I got are...
Apple Airport Express- $2
2011 Macbook Pro that needed just a new hard drive, use it as my main computer now - $50
Boba Fett Star Wars talking helmet- $2

fixedpoint

I found a vintage Marantz 2325 audio amp/receiver on the ground at the dump. Dusted it off and sold it on eBay for $800.

Mr. Diaz

Ha my family and I just went looking at yard sales yesterday. My favorite take was a painting of an old dude that my wife hates, but there's something about paintings that I like alot. And a picture of Jesus with a smug anime-character smirk.

spock

I found a vintage Marantz 2325 audio amp/receiver on the ground at the dump. Dusted it off and sold it on eBay for $800.

nice! I seem to see vintage audio gear on the regular. I need to learn more about our Abd figure how to store it. Think I have some I grabbed under a desk here. I'll post details on it later.

Nordicus

Uuh, this thread gives me an excuse for another flea market trip. For now, one particularly good deal from last one:

Pair of stainless steel spatulas, 1.20€ total

Beartruck

Ive had luck in years past, but this year has been total shitsville for me. Everyone thinks their stuff is worth more now then when they bought it.

The amount of valuable comics I've found at thrift stores and yard sales is crazy. I'm waiting for the day I roll up on some golden age books some old guy just wants gone.

zulux21

my best find so far this year is a couch and love set that retail for $4000 together that were basically in new shape that i paid $50 for.

The rain finally let up in my area, so me and my fiance went yard sale-ing this weekend. Got a new keyboard (my enter key on the old one was dying), some wall decorations, and a glass display case. We are hunting for a house so we have been collecting shelving, lights and small furniture off and on.

Not something I bought, but this kid at one of the sales popped open an old suitcase and found a shit-ton of Lego. Kid is like maybe 6, pulls out a crumpled fiver and walks out with a suitcase of Lego bigger than him. He looked super jazzed, hell I would be too if I were his age.

My best find ever was a comic book box that had early FF and X-Men issues plus a wide variety of other comics. About 100 in total. The condition of the issues wasn't the greatest. But it was $5. I still have them all.

Dishwalla

Banned
Found an original Xbox at a thrift shop the other day for $10, surprisingly it works fine. Also found a PS2 slim for $10, but for some reason it will play DVDs but not PS1/PS2 game discs. Not sure why that is.

It seems like there's less yard sales this year than before. I think Facebook Yard Sale groups are the reason. OfferUp/LetGo are becoming more popular too.

Amalthea

Banned
I found this affordable oil painting recently. No idea how old or by whom it is but at least it's actually painted and not just a print.
There's something calming about it having it hanging on my wall...

Nordicus

Book finds are sometimes kinda dime-a-dozen, but I got a really good condition pocket-sized 250-page Mexican cookbook for 1,50€

Every single dish photographed, as well as some of the prep stages, so it's really nifty.

Also got a waffle maker for 10€ and sandwich grill for 5€

Found a Steam Link and Steam Controller with all parts (boxes, cables, etc) for $15.

I'll be posting in this thread quite a bit as I work right across the street from an awesome thrift shop.

Browny

Banned
Original Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader book for £4.81 (through Amazon / Music Magpie, of all places).

Emporio Armani watch (no strap) for £20.

Rather pleased with both.

I found this affordable oil painting recently. No idea how old or by whom it is but at least it's actually painted and not just a print.
There's something calming about it having it hanging on my wall...

Yeah I can relate. My mom started going to auction houses last year and she found a 4'x3' student reproduction of Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party" that's hanging over my bed. It's nice to stare at and relax.

Ww3WK6Um.jpg

All those were $14. Came with a bunch of game genie booklets too.

Not pictured: Wilson 8 iron $2, The Gods Must Be Crazy 2 DVD $1.50, Disney Magic Kingdom boardgame $0.89.

Pickman

It's not from this year, but I found a Traynor bass amp from the 1970s in working condition for 20 bucks.

Sold it on eBay for 500 bucks.

I don't have a picture of it atm, but I recently found a 183 year old French Bowl/Coopers Adze at a garage sale. Looks almost identical to the below one but with a more prominent striker.

477e40b42bb2747010b98d24c833e718.jpg

$2 Probably worth well into the 100s.

Also picked up the Destiny Limited edition guide at the local Vinnies for $3. Still had the prints in their envelope.

Seirith

My mother just found a sealed & signed Trump book at our Goodwill Bins and sold it for $670. She paid .99

I found a Disney Duffy Bear and sold it for $170, an original Gameboy and games for $71, Vintage sealed 1980s men's underwear sold them all for a little over $500. A bag of Gi Joe Figures I sold for almost $200. NECA Bioshock Big Daddy Big Sister figure I sold for $92. A pokemon plush for 39.99....I could go one for a while LOL

-Kees-

Got a vintage Pioneer SX-440 receiver from the early 70's that I'm using as an amp for a turntable for $20 at a garage sale. Found 2 copies of Mario Kart Double Dash and 1 Mario Sunshine, both disc only at the flea market for I think $5 total. Also a sealed black label Jak III for PS2 for $1 that someone had for reasons unknown to me.

Recently I found a Disneyland It's a Small World magazine/attraction guide from the 70s that goes for 70+ dollars on eBay. Bought it for 2 dollars.

andylsun

Best find so far this year. Cross post from the headphone thread.

rDlbRLUl.jpg

Work perfectly - Grado sent me out a gimbal for free.

Best find ever was a Thorens TD-165 turntable for $20. New belt,stylus and some new main bearing oil and up and running.

Bought a 200 year old bible printed in Latin at a garage sale, paid 20 bucks. Got it appraised for about 3000 because of its condition. Wound up donating it to the local library, it's still on display there I think.

Seirith

Best find so far this year. Cross post from the headphone thread.

rDlbRLUl.jpg

Work perfectly - Grado sent me out a gimbal for free.

Best find ever was a Thorens TD-165 turntable for $20. New belt,stylus and some new main bearing oil and up and running.

Your Goodwill outlet is .20 a pound?!? I thought mine was a good price at .69!

Most recent find by my neighbor was a nearly new LG 12,000 btu window/wall unit AC. Probably a complete overkill for this size apartment, but who could resist at $50?? He got it at an estate sale.
I helped him yesterday take the old one out and install the new one in the wall. Had to do a bit of our own carpentry, but it looks really nice properly mounted.

I found a top loader NES with bubble bobble and another game for $25. It was missing the cables, but the next weekend I found the dog bone controller from some one else for a few dollars and already had the cables.

Spotted an NES at a local Salvation Army with two controllers. Looked almost brand new, but the power adapter was missing. I didn't buy it though because I didn't think it was worth much. I did check the cartridge slot and pulled out a mint copy of Super Mario Bros. 3, which they sold me for $0.50.

When I went back a week later, it (the NES) was gone, so I guess somebody bought it. About three weeks after that, I went back again and there was another NES, but it was beat to hell. I looked inside and sure enough there was another cartridge; Bases Loaded 2, which I bought for $0.50 also.

Top Bottom