• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowing old consoles - The Solution.

tbb033

Banned
My Super Nintendo looks really gross on the top part of the shell, perfectly fine everywhere else. Stupid Nintendo using a bad plastic mix.

Really should try the fix, but it's just too involved. Probably easier to buy a cheap non yellowed SNES and swap that part of the case out. Not that I'm likely to get around to that either.

alf717

Can you upload pics so we can see your results? Also I recently did some NES controllers and had some "white chalky streaks" on them. Haven't tried again to see if it eliminates streaks.

Here are the before shot. I will try and gather up the after shots later:

img_3846a3ogw.jpg

img_38476rqq8.jpg

img_3849rhpit.jpg

img_3850smqv2.jpg

img_3845u7p56.jpg

img_3848dar1z.jpg

After: (Sorry for the blurry quality)

Each console spent a day in the sun. From 10AM to about 6PM - 7PM. The only exception was the SNES since that was yellowed badly in the inside of the shell as well. I applied the creme almost every two hours since the sun was drying it up very quickly. Oh and I used this stuff.

Each console spent a day in the sun. From 10AM to about 6PM - 7PM. The only exception was the SNES since that was yellowed badly in the inside of the shell as well. I applied the creme almost every two hours since the sun was drying it up very quickly. Oh and I used this stuff.

Just make sure you are rotating the console as the sun moves, so it gets even sunlight, no shadows. Also when I did mine, I did one side at a time and only applied one coat, because I put plastic wrap overtop to prevent drying. That might be your problem.

alf717

Just make sure you are rotating the console as the sun moves. So it gets even light, no shadows. Also when I did mine I did one side at a time and only applied one coat because I put plastic wrap overtop to prevent drying. That might be your problem.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try again tomorrow with another badly yellowed SNES if the weather lets me.

Ended up with another mess =/. Granted it is better than yellow but still wish it didn't come out like this. Wrapped up each piece this time around and only one coat.

I had to do mine a couple of times. Just make sure you lay the saran wrap over and not to wrap it around. You don't want to create any shadows.

D.Lo

You get the blooming if it dries. You need a thin, even layer that stays wet, not splotches.

If it's very sunny or hot you should be re-applying at least once an hour.

Travo

Heh, my SNES yellowed everywhere except where the name was. I was kind of pissed thinking that it was some shitty sticker on top and that's why it never yellowed. I was pissed at Nintendo for being so cheap. It took me years before I tried peeling that "sticker" off

Square2015

Seeing many botched attempts, is this really the best solution for our yellowing consoles?

I was to buy the solution from the OP and whiten my SNES but seeing some of the results here...

Overside

Banned
Also, here's how it looks on my NES before and after...

I scrubbed off years worth of crud and then used creme developer + the sun and it turned out great. If I was a bit more patient, the rest of the case would match the door color, but I only had one day of semi-sun to do it all so it was good enough for me.

Look... Im not judging... But what the hell happened to your nes?

It looks like a kid with super flue sneezed on it.... Repeatedly.

Amazing results though.

I really want to try this but....

My consoles arent yellowing? I do keep them vacuum sealed when they are not in current rotation.... I guess that helps a lot?

D.Lo

Yep, needs to be creme.

Ended up with another mess =/. Granted it is better than yellow but still wish it didn't come out like this. Wrapped up each piece this time around and only one coat.
That's your problem - it needs to be refreshed constantly. Wrapping slows the drying, but you're left with uneven active ingredient on the plastic after a while. Even with wrap, re-coat it every hour, or more if very hot and sunny.

It seems lots of people have issues with a US SNES too. I've never done one of those because I'm uninterested in that model, so it may have particular issues I'm not aware of.

Felt this was a thread worth bumping.

Has anyone tried this without taking apart the item? I am thinking of trying this on my R.O.B. since he is quite yellow.

I hate it because my other R.O.B. doesnt have this problem.

image_zpscraup1ri.jpg

You really need to clean the peroxide solution off with clean water. Doing so without taking it apart could damage the unit. I can't imagine it would be difficult minus all of the little gears.

D.Lo

Has anyone tried this without taking apart the item? I am thinking of trying this on my R.O.B. since he is quite yellow.
I would not do this. Just take it apart.

Unfortunately the effect is not permanent
No, it simply sets it back to a previous chemical state. Depending on the piece, the same conditions (sunlight, heat) could have the exact same effect again.

I keep my consoles/controllers out of the sun, and most don't yellow again.

cireza

Up.

I used OP's method on my Dreamcast, and the result is very impressive. My console got back its day-one color (or at least, it is very close to it).

It took me 2 days to achieve this (probably around 10-12 hours exposed to the sunlight).

It is very important to apply a thick enough layer of the product, and to reapply often. Check the places where the product has already evaporated, and reapply at those places.

First time, I had a few "yellow" marks because I did not reapply often enough. Second time, I applied more regularly, and the console ended in a state where its color is homogeneous.

Narroo

I'm trying this now and it seems to work!

But, does anyone know what kinds of plastic this is safe on, or will work on? Does it work on the wires to and from consoles? Is there anything I shouldn't put this on?

Also, apparently Hair Developer 50 exists, although the Supply store wouldn't sell it to me....I wonder how well that'll work.

jsnepo

Got myself a Wavebird for $8 but it's all yellowish. I'll be trying the suggestions in this thread to restore it.

Top Bottom