• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet more Majora's Mask teasing. (Interview in Game Informer.)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I would be okay with this

Majora's Mask is probably one of my favourite games of all time. I couldn't be more happy about this

Aeneas

Which is perfect and what we all want?

I didn't mean it like that, it is just what I want too, I am dying to replay MM, haven't played it since the N64 days. But there is the chance of it being something else like others mentioned previously in this thread, like a MM2 on the wii u or whatever.

mantidor

I thought we wanted nintendo to make new AA - AAA ips and less nostalgia-trips?

People who claim that are just trolling most of the time, they don't care about Nintendo games even if it was a new IP.

I welcome new IPs, but something like Zelda is so varied and unique in each iteration that it feels like a new IP to me. Mario is the same, but it's harder to notice because of the recently standardized art style across all titles.

Bankoiia

Would be great to play Majoras Mask with an updated framerate. Zooming through the fields of Termina in Goron form will be glorious.

JDSN

Banned
I get the feeling it will be more than a remake. please give me my Majora's Mask 2 in which the villain is the happy mask salesman and its ability to travel between dimensions puts the alternate timelines in a struggle to exist. Lets get some of that Dark Tower flavor in my Zelda.

I still kinda think that in the same way A Link to the Past was influential for building A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask will be used as a kinda template/influence for building Zelda Wii U.

I think a Majora's Mask-inspired Wii U Zelda would be even better than a remake of the game itself. Having said that, obviously it makes sense for Nintendo to take advantage of MM and re-release it some fashion to promote the new game, if that's what it is they're planning.

I thought we wanted nintendo to make new AA - AAA ips and less nostalgia-trips?

Ocarina of Time 3D was outsourced.

I still kinda think that in the same way A Link to the Past was influential for building A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask will be used as a kinda template/influence for building Zelda Wii U.

Too good to be true. SS had really good characters, I also wouldn't mind a Zelda Gaiden in the vein of MM based on that.

Am I the only one who was a little bit disappointed with OOT 3D? I had wanted to see a remake of OOT for years, but OOT 3D was too much of a port rather than the complete remake that I was hoping for. I really hope the 'remake' of majora's mask is on the Wii U, but realistically I seriously doubt that will happen.

Am I the only one who was a little bit disappointed with OOT 3D? I had wanted to see a remake of OOT for years, but OOT 3D was too much of a port rather than the complete remake that I was hoping for. I really hope the 'remake' of majora's mask is on the Wii U, but realistically I seriously doubt that will happen.

It was pretty and it managed to look exactly like the original OOT concept art. Don't know what more you'd want.

Majukun

if ts a remake,i hope he has some new content,because i don't spend money on something i have already played,that's my policy

I'm starting to think that we're getting:

a) a remake on the WiiU
b) the new Zelda WiiU will be a sequel to Majora (with the of the actual Mask of Majora).

Imagine a open-world game where there are lots of masks that you can obtain.
Some masks give you a unique view on the world that you can only see through the gamepad when wearing them. They could make some cool sidequests for them.

But as usual, I'm gonna be dead wrong about this and we'll probably get MM3D or just nothing (they were just messing with our minds).

Koozek

Haha, had the same idea. That'd even fit the crazy rumors of that :)-guy in the other thread :D
-ZeldaU is releasing Holiday 2014. Much darker and mature - u can feel the spirt of majoras mask in it.

Quackula

I seriously seriously seriously doubt we'd get a Wii U remake. I'd be genuinely shocked if that happened.

If they were gonna do that, they would've done OOT first.

Koozek

Imagine a open-world game where there are lots of masks that you can obtain.
Some masks give you a unique view on the world that you can only see through the gamepad when wearing them. They could make some cool sidequests for them.

This idea isn't even bad, dude! Actually, I can see some nice usages of this mechanic. Masks would be like items then. Some make you see hidden things, jump higher, walk through fire, etc. It just shouldn't be annoying to change between them all the time for skills that are needed frequently.
Hmm, dunno... Let's see what they come up with! Can't wait to see it :)

Edit: By "Masks would be like items" I meant masks INSTEAD of the typical items^^ Might work if they do it right.

You're not the only one. I was disappointed too. They made the character models look a little closer to the old artwork and slapped some new textures on, but nothing much improved. I say some things were actually downgraded. I distantly remember the volcano making more of an impression when you exited the Temple of Time as an adult in the N64 version, but I can't be sure. I gotta youtube check on that.

They had Mahito Yokota redo the hole soundtrack... but asked him to make it sound exactly like the original. Lame.

They also brightened up the game. The original was a bit darker.

I owned the golden cartridge (lucky me, I bought the game used for the first time after the GameCube was out) so I got the red blood, moon shield, and a sampled choir music in the Fire Temple. Framerate issues and anti-aliasing aside, I still feel my N64 copy is better for the darker atmosphere. Too bad my N64 doesn't work anymore. :(

Both versions Skulltallas still scare the crap out of me though. Especially in the Shadow Temple. Fall right through the ceiling and right on my head why don't cha!

For Majora's Mask I'd like at least the music to be redone with new synths and samples. That game had some fantastic songs like that area where the Giant teaches you some song. Epic. And of course the song of healing and the lasts days countdown. So good.

Majora's Mask had a lot of that motion bluring thing going on in its cutscenes. I can't help but feel the 3DS game is going to cut back on that. And Grezzo will probably brighten up the game as well. Lame.

I'm not expecting much of a "remake" with Majora's Mask 3D, but here's hoping.

Yonafunu

MM has a pretty distinct palette that I imagine would still be pretty striking even "brightened up."

It's not like MM was a particularly dark game to begin with. Sure, there were some dark areas, but overall it's a pretty brightly coloured game.

This idea isn't even bad, dude! Actually, I can see some nice usages of this mechanic. Masks would be like items then. Some make you see hidden things, jump higher, walk through fire, etc. It just shouldn't be annoying to change between them all the time for skills that are needed frequently.
Hmm, dunno... Let's see what they come up with! Can't wait to see it :)

I'd love to see more hidden places like caves, areas, ... that are totally optional but that give you a nice incentive.

As you said, they could implement some cool masks for it.

Miletius

Maybe it'll be both. If I had to choose I'd want a new game rather than a remake. But, then again I'm playing through OOT 3DS right now and I'm reminded of how good that game was, and I enjoyed Majora's just as much. So, a remake of Marjora's would be just fine for me too.

You're not the only one. I was disappointed too. They made the character models look a little closer to the old artwork and slapped some new textures on, but nothing much improved. I say some things were actually downgraded. I distantly remember the volcano making more of an impression when you exited the Temple of Time as an adult in the N64 version, but I can't be sure. I gotta youtube check on that.

They had Mahito Yokota redo the hole soundtrack... but asked him to make it sound exactly like the original. Lame.

They also brightened up the game. The original was a bit darker.

I owned the golden cartridge (lucky me, I bought the game used for the first time after the GameCube was out) so I got the red blood, moon shield, and a sampled choir music in the Fire Temple. Framerate issues and anti-aliasing aside, I still feel my N64 copy is better for the darker atmosphere. Too bad my N64 doesn't work anymore. :(

Both versions Skulltallas still scare the crap out of me though. Especially in the Shadow Temple. Fall right through the ceiling and right on my head why don't cha!

For Majora's Mask I'd like at least the music to be redone with new synths and samples. That game had some fantastic songs like that area where the Giant teaches you some song. Epic. And of course the song of healing and the lasts days countdown. So good.

Majora's Mask had a lot of that motion bluring thing going on in its cutscenes. I can't help but feel the 3DS game is going to cut back on that. And Grezzo will probably brighten up the game as well. Lame.

I'm not expecting much of a "remake" with Majora's Mask 3D, but here's hoping.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly how I felt. Playing it on the 3DS was nice, but I kept asking myself whether there was much to gain by playing it on the 3DS rather than the 64, and I really don't think there is besides the cosmetic and UI changes. Meanwhile, I absolutely LOVE what they did with the lighting in ALBW to create an engrossing atmosphere,
especially in the dark palace
. If they were to remake the game from the ground up, they could have truly enriched the atmosphere of the game like in this fan made trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyazYYev7Nw

Yes everyone in this thread has probably already seen it, and yes its pre-rendered and too good to be true, but the animation, lighting and sound effects that contribute to it's largely successful atmosphere would be very difficult to achieve with 3DS grezzo 'remake'.

KarmaCow

If they're doing an OoT 3D style remake, what could they fix? It's been a while since I've played the game but I don't remember anything as annoying as the Iron Boot stuff in the Water Temple.

We can only hope so.
I would LOVE to see a kind of open world-ish Zelda game with the same atmosphere as Majora's Mask.
I would also love to see a Zelda game that shows how Majora's Mask came to be
Yes, we know the story about if from the Mask salesman, but I'm sure Aonuma and his team could make so much out of that little story.

ampere

Just announce the damn remake already!

Agreed.

Not that I need any more games for my 3DS, but if/when Majora's Mask comes out it's getting bumped to the top of the queue.

A full remake like this would make me buy a WiiU

Wow how did I never see this? Looks like it's probably fan made, but it's a really impressive piece of work. Love the detail on Deku Link and the mannerisms of the Mask Shop guy.

If they're doing an OoT 3D style remake, what could they fix? It's been a while since I've played the game but I don't remember anything as annoying as the Iron Boot stuff in the Water Temple.

Time skips to an explicit time of the day instead of always jumping from day to night or reverse.

Anustart

Honest question here, and yes, I have played ALBW, why is the spoilered portion spoiler tagged?

If I had made this topic it would never have occurred to me to spoiler that...

plz plz plz be a wii u game.

Dear god, it does make sense. I hope for this.

Everyone always says remake but I think there's a lot they could explore with from Majora's Mask (like the tribe and stuff) so a prequel would be really cool.

Heck, maybe the actual Wii U Zelda game could be that; a prequel to Majora's Mask.

Nintendo needs a Zelda Direct, like, yesterday. Unless they are one in the same, they need back to back trailers of Majora's Mask 3D and the new Wii U Zelda to lift fans spirits after all the bad news lately.

Velcro Fly

I was one of those whiny children that hated MM on the N64 because it was too different than what I was expecting.

So please please please give me another chance to enjoy this game. Grezzo did such a good job with OoT!

Laieon

Nice! Majora's Mask is one of the few Zeldas I didn't really care for, but I'll still pick up a remake.

Top Bottom