• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet more Majora's Mask teasing. (Interview in Game Informer.)

I still kinda think that in the same way A Link to the Past was influential for building A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask will be used as a kinda template/influence for building Zelda Wii U.

It depends on what you mean by that. If you mean the time limit returning/only four dungeons, count me out. If you mean having great atmosphere, sidequests, and npcs, sure.

PLEASE release it for 3DS, that way I can enjoy my adventures on the go.

With the way things are going for the Wii U, part of me isn't sure if the system will be around that much longer...:(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It depends on what you mean by that. If you mean the time limit returning/only four dungeons, count me out. If you mean having great atmosphere, sidequests, and npcs, sure.

I was thinking more setting it outside of traditional Hyrule and, following Skyward Sword, not following the archetypical Gannon villain and captured Zelda storyline. That and using the Wii U's technological leap over the Wii to give the game a Majora's Mask-like living world of NPCs, perhaps a return of the multi-day system, and so on.

I have no basis for this theory other than "I THINK THAT WOULD BE RAD".

Jito

Banned
Remaking the most unpopular Zelda while your console struggles to sell it such a Nintendo move I can see it happening.

boo-this-man.gif

Yort

If they're doing an OoT 3D style remake, what could they fix? It's been a while since I've played the game but I don't remember anything as annoying as the Iron Boot stuff in the Water Temple.

The Elegy of Emptiness statue puzzles were kind of tedious.

In terms of sales, didn't Majora's mask sell the least amount for a 3d zelda title?

Didn't people pre-order The Wind Waker just to get Ocarina of Time: Master Quest? I think it's a bit unfair to compare two games, one of which required a sold-separately accessory while the other came with an remake + added difficulty mode for the most popular game in the franchise (and one of the most revered games of all time).

ToxicAdam

I do hope they re-release it in some form. My kids keep bothering me to buy it for them but I don't want to pay those outrageous Ebay prices for that Gameboy special edition disc.

Anustart

Didn't people pre-order The Wind Waker just to get Ocarina of Time: Master Quest? I think it's a bit unfair to compare two games, one of which required a sold-separately accessory while the other came with an remake + added difficulty mode for the most popular game in the franchise (and one of the most revered games of all time).

Oh, I'm not saying that the sales numbers actually state anything meaningful, I just raised the question because it's probably what the guy was thinking when he said MM was the least popular.

Mit-

The team that did a Link Between Worlds isn't the same team that did OoT 3D.

If they were, this might be more interesting (why wouldn't they know about a MM remake? Is it a larger MM project being worked on by a console development team?)

However this probably just means a MM remake is in development by whoever did OoT 3D, which they wouldn't necessarily be aware of.

Like Wind Waker, Majoras Mask is actually a lot more popular now than when it was released.

Maybe, or maybe it's that all the people who were disappointed in the game have moved on leaving the few very devoted fans. It is a cult favorite.

Majora's Mask has a better reputation than The Wind Waker.

In some circles, sure. The goofy WW art style did and probably still does turn off most people.

Looking at the top selling console Zelda's its clear what people want.

Mit-

I was thinking more setting it outside of traditional Hyrule and, following Skyward Sword, not following the archetypical Gannon villain and captured Zelda storyline. That and using the Wii U's technological leap over the Wii to give the game a Majora's Mask-like living world of NPCs, perhaps a return of the multi-day system, and so on.

I would eat up a sequel to OoT/MM where we play as the same Link only as an adult, with recreated OoT-Hyrule and Termina.

Ah gotcha. I'd be okay with most of those changes as long as it didn't have another time limit - that would really ruin the hype I would have for the game.

qko

These are the same people that took Cranky Kong to VGX as their flagship announcement....

The more I see this complaint, the more I think maybe they shouldn't have gone like Bethesda, R*, Sony and other big pubs did. It's not like anyone else was treating VGX like some big deal anyway.

Cranky Kong was probably a more solid announcement compared to other stuff on that presentation such as "Lara Croft's new face on next gen will excuse no graphical or framerate improvement game" or "vague trailer for a game that didn't even announce platforms" what else even got announced at VGX?

Skab

But I thought Twilight Princess was the direct sequel to Ocarina....

not-impressed.gif

Twilight takes place a very long time after Ocarina. Remember that skeleton warrior dude that taught you the new techniques in TP? That's Link from OoT/MM.

Silvawuff

I remember playing MM originally; it was dark and I didn't really care for it, especially the limited time mechanic.

I'll still probably pick this up if it gets a proper update/remake, though!

Looking at the top selling console Zelda's its clear what people want.

I don't know if pointing to MM's sales are completely fair.

It came out late in the N64's life (after the PS2 and Dreamcast had already released), started off its life and publicity as a sidestory or remixed version of its predecessor (and looked it), required a hardware expansion, and the initial concept (a time limit) was hard to sell on press descriptions of the time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Remaking the most popular Zelda is freaking awesome.

Fixed it for you, Majora's Mask is really popular and a great game much better than that crappy overrated ocarina of time.

Not being serous about ocarina of time being crappy, I love that game.

But I thought Twilight Princess was the direct sequel to Ocarina....

not-impressed.gif

Ocarina has three direct sequel thanks to the split timeline.

-Wind waker takes place in Adult Link time line.
-Majora's Mask takes place in Child Link time line.
-Twilight Princess which takes place after Majora's Mask and continues the story set in Ocarina of Time.

Yaaay you know nothing about what you're talking about.

Aonuma doesn't work on remakes. And if you're referring to ALBW, brand new game. Go sit in the corner.

Alright let's see...Nintendo's last 3 Zelda games have been:

Ocarina of Time 3D
Wind Waker HD
and ALBW

Two of these are remakes of 10+ year titles. ALBW is also pretty much a 10+ year idea. I don't care if you think walking into walls is a game-changer. This game was a cash-in on LTTP. None of them are fresh ideas. All of them are produced by Eiji Aonuma.

Meanwhile, there was a Wii U Zelda tech demo shown in 2011. Since then, there has been no news while Nintendo releases these remakes.

clubstoic

Banned
3DS is cool, but i'd rather see it on Wii U. Wii U is the thing that needs games. How hard would it be to release on both? It would be nice to see all 4 3D Zeldas remade for HD.

Rich!

It also required an add-on for the system that not everybody owned.

I remember when Majora's Mask was on BBC's Watchdog purely because of the amount of people who bought it at christmas, unable to play it due to a lack of the expansion pak which was coincidentally out of stock everywhere - unless you spent £64.99 on DK64, of course. Sadly I've been unable to find a video of the report anywhere. I just found it hilarious at the time because I got DK64, Majora's Mask and The World Is Not Enough for christmas that year and was happy as fuck

either way, Majora's Mask is the greatest Zelda ever made. nintendo, pls

zruben

Banned
Majora's Mask for smartphones incoming.

Nintendo is working closeley with square, considering how succesful they have been with the FF remakes for iOS.

Rich!

Majora's Mask for smartphones incoming.

Nintendo is working closeley with square, considering how succesful they have been with the FF remakes for iOS.

oh god please no

Either way, although I'll be content with a 3DS version, my dream would be an HD remake with an art style to match this:

It can be done quite effectively too with decent poly models/areas cel-shaded with heavy shadows. It'd be amazing and completely fit the twisted tone of the game, as well as being a complete and utter invert of Wind Waker's style.

Alright let's see...Nintendo's last 3 Zelda games have been:

Ocarina of Time 3D
Wind Waker HD
and ALBW

Two of these are remakes of 10+ year titles. ALBW is also pretty much a 10+ year idea. I don't care if you think walking into walls is a game-changer. This game was a cash-in on LTTP. None of them are fresh ideas. All of them are produced by Eiji Aonuma.

Meanwhile, there was a Wii U Zelda tech demo shown in 2011. Since then, there has been no news while Nintendo releases these remakes.

Well, Aonuma did actually talk about Zelda Wii U and its design goals in early 2013 during the January Direct. The design goals listed there also found their way into ALBW (the non-linear nature of the game) which were considered by many players and critics to be something fresh and new.

The Zelda tech demo was probably just that, given that it was created months before Skyward Sword was even finished and came out. It's been just over two years since Skyward Sword was released, and we can say with reasonable certainty that we'll probably see Zelda at this year's E3.

kris.

Banned
I remember when Majora's Mask was on BBC's Watchdog purely because of the amount of people who bought it at christmas, unable to play it due to a lack of the expansion pak which was coincidentally out of stock everywhere - unless you spent £64.99 on DK64, of course. Sadly I've been unable to find a video of the report anywhere. I just found it hilarious at the time because I got DK64, Majora's Mask and The World Is Not Enough for christmas that year and was happy as fuck

either way, Majora's Mask is the greatest Zelda ever made. nintendo, pls

Ugh, I remember renting it a few weeks before Christmas from Blockbuster because I was so unbelievably excited for it. Didn't know it needed the expansion pak and had to go to a friend's place. Got to play it for maybe 4 hours that whole week of renting it. I fucking begged for it for Christmas and my parents knew how much I wanted it so they saved it for last. The devastated look on my face when none of the presents were Majora's Mask. Ugh. Then they pulled one last present out from behind them. Boom. Majora's Mask with expansion pak. Greatest Christmas ever.

tl;dr pls Nintendo give me MM on the 3DS, I NEED IT

Albo

I still kinda think that in the same way A Link to the Past was influential for building A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask will be used as a kinda template/influence for building Zelda Wii U.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

They might as well. It wouldn't sell on wii u anyway so they don't have to bother trying to make it accessible or simplify aspects of the game to a broad audience. Just for the fans.

oh god please no

Either way, although I'll be content with a 3DS version, my dream would be an HD remake with an art style to match this:

It can be done quite effectively too with decent poly models/areas cel-shaded with heavy shadows. It'd be amazing and completely fit the twisted tone of the game, as well as being a complete and utter invert of Wind Waker's style.

3DS can realise that art style; after all it's capable of celshading. But a proper MM remake doesn't make sense on either platform. It's just a much, much worse proposition on WiiU. Now an OoT 3D style remaster would be perfect. We got ALTTP, we got OoT and now it's MM's turn to go portable.

3DS is cool, but i'd rather see it on Wii U. Wii U is the thing that needs games. How hard would it be to release on both? It would be nice to see all 4 3D Zeldas remade for HD.
All 4? TP and SS would be nice to have HD but OoT and MM would look hideous in HD. Why would anyone want that?

Rich!

Ugh, I remember renting it a few weeks before Christmas from Blockbuster because I was so unbelievably excited for it. Didn't know it needed the expansion pak and had to go to a friend's place. Got to play it for maybe 4 hours that whole week of renting it. I fucking begged for it for Christmas and my parents knew how much I wanted it so they saved it for last. The devastated look on my face when none of the presents were Majora's Mask. Ugh. Then they pulled one last present out from behind them. Boom. Majora's Mask with expansion pak. Greatest Christmas ever.

tl;dr pls Nintendo give me MM on the 3DS, I NEED IT

I remember when I asked for DKC3 for christmas back in 1997 even though I desperately wanted an N64 (as I knew my parents wouldn't be able to afford it).

That morning they gave me a present. DKC3! Hooray! I then got another present, and unwrapped it - wasn't sure exactly what it was, but it was a VHS box. Opened it - it was a Blockbuster rental. hooray?

wait a minute. that's pilotwings 64. wait one fucking minute is that an N64 set up in the other room? OH MY FUCKIGNGHGHHGGHFDHGHDFHG ARHGHHG

kris.

Banned
I remember when I asked for DKC3 for christmas back in 1997 even though I desperately wanted an N64 (as I knew my parents wouldn't be able to afford it).

That morning they gave me a present. DKC3! Hooray! I then got another present, and unwrapped it - wasn't sure exactly what it was, but it was a VHS box. Opened it - it was a Blockbuster rental. hooray?

wait a minute. that's pilotwings 64. wait one fucking minute is that an N64 set up in the other room? OH MY FUCKIGNGHGHHGGHFDHGHDFHG ARHGHHG

Hahaha that's awesome. Parents are sneaky bastards.

Top Bottom