• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters |OT| Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya, nya, Darknyan!

fuyNFdF.jpg

SpgoWaV.jpg

Title: Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/2DS
Release Date: 9-29-2017 (US/EU)
Genre: RPG/Yo-kai Pun Generator
Publisher: Level-5
Player(s): 1-2, has Streetpass Functionality, online battles, and online “co-op” in Busters
ESRB: E (Everyone 10+)
Price: 3DS Physical/eShop: $39.99 (Digital Blocks 14,661 blocks, roughly 1.8 gigs)
Main Site: Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters Site

Original Yo-Kai Watch 2 OT

Synopsis
As the cause of life's troubles, Yo-kai are hiding everywhere! Explore your hometown of Springdale, the seaside town of San Fantastico and the sleepy village of Harrisville in search of these mischievous beings. Then travel 60 years into the past with Hovernyan to ensure the Yo-kai Watch Model Zero is created and your timeline is preserved! Battle online or via local wireless to earn in-game rewards for your adventure. Or take control of a Yo-kai in Psychic Blasters, a revamped 4-player action mode!

MlZyjFz.png

New Additions to Psychic Specters
  • Transfer game data from YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits or YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls to YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters and play from where you left off
  • Connect with YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits or YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls to YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters to unlock exclusive dungeons, stronger bosses, and special gleaming Yo-kai

UI4fS5V.jpg
  • For the first time, befriend Yo-kai from the Wicked Tribe as well as Boss Yo-kai and other Yo-kai exclusive to this ultimate version
  • Discover exclusive quests, such as the secret pasts of Darknyan, Dame Dedtime, and Whisper

lkMEN16.png
  • Hop on the Hexpress train and explore new locations, including a Yo-kai amusement park, hot springs, and kabuki theater
  • Team up in an expanded version of the Yo-kai Watch Blasters local co-op mode, with powerful new bosses to defeat
  • Challenge your friend's team over the Internet or local wireless in 2-player multiplayer battles

pyn165m.png

Psychic Connections:
This is all rather confusing, so I’ve brought in Whisper to sort it out. Fleshy Souls and Bony Spirits players can now download the Oni Evolution Update (about 6000 blocks) to update your version of Yo-Kai Watch 2 to Version 2.0. The Oni Evolution Update will grant you bonuses and Yo-kai based on your game, and connecting games grants even more bonuses and Yo-kai.

Snottle is now available to recruit across Springdale. He likes snacks, so stock up and search him out. AbdallahSmash has a great video detailing where to recruit this powerful Yo-kai: https://youtu.be/_C1V_d9mgp4

1 Game (with update applied):
Once the main scenario has been completed and your watch has been upgraded to S-Rank:

Fleshy Souls
  • Daily fight to recruit Komasan S at Nom Burger in Downtown Springdale. Can only be recruited once.
  • Busters is updated. Users must defeat their S-Rank Mascot and earn 6000 Oni Orbs to unlock the option to battle Hardy Hound. Once defeated, Hardy Hound’s entry will be added to a player’s Medallium.

Bony Spirits
  • Daily fight to recruit Jibanyan S at the crosswalk where the fish shop is located in Springdale. Can only be recruited once.
  • Busters is updated. Users must defeat their S-Rank Mascot and earn 6000 Oni Orbs to unlock the option to battle Rubeus-J. Once defeated, Rubeus-J’s entry will be added to a player’s Medallium.

2 Games linked:
Fleshy Souls + Psychic Specters
  • Unlock special “Mystery Way” where Ogralus can be befriended, and where the Crank-a-kai at the end of Mystery Way can be cranked once a day to potentially get Topanyan.

Bony Spirits + Psychic Specters
  • Unlock special “Mystery Way” where Gargaros can be befriended, and where the Crank-a-kai at the end of Mystery Way can be cranked once a day to potentially get Rubinyan.

All 3 games linked:
Psychic Specters + Fleshy Souls + Bony Spirits

Unlocks entirely unique dungeon that contains Orcanos, plus a unique Crank-a-kai that contains Sapphinyan, Dianyan, and Emenyan. By finding the Moxie Crest located in the dungeon, you can also unlock Moximous N (if you’re playing as a boy) and Moximous K (if you’re playing as a girl) by heading to your grandfather’s grave with the crest.

Save Progress Transfer from Fleshy Souls or Bony Spirits to Psychic Specters:
UoiKogNl.png

Videos:
Linking Game Unlocks
Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters Trailer

Reviews:
mYwccID.jpg

Metacritic - No Metascore yet
Nintendo Life - 9

I'm kinda excited for this! I have my Bony save ready to transfer and I have an unopened copy of Fleshy to connect them all together.

Same here! Fleshy is updated and ready to go, and I'll use my wife's Bony copy to get everything in Psychic Specters. I like that I can transfer my save right over and start from all the new content.

Kurtofan

I really want to get into yokai watch (i love mythology and pokemon) but i never know where to start in the series. is this a good starting point?

DJ_Lae

Neat.

I bought Boney and Fleshy earlier this year (Fleshy is still sealed, was going to give it to my daughter as a gift) and ended up enjoying myself a lot more than I expected.

It's been a long time since a game has gave me the same comforting sense of place - the feel of the town is fantastic.

Will have to pick this up too.

I really want to get into yokai watch (i love mythology and pokemon) but i never know where to start in the series. is this a good starting point?

Psychic Specters is basically the Pokemon Crystal of the Yo-kai Watch Franchise, so it's the ideal spot to start. YW2 covers the whole first game in about 8 hours, and then gets EVEN BETTER because there's a ton of stuff to do, tons of Yo-kai to befriend, fun quests, interesting mythology, and a great sense of place.

FiveSide

Banned
First game was an awesome surprise. Really enjoyed the suburban Japanese atmosphere and the unique battle system.

Looking forward to picking this up! If it truly is head and shoulders better than the first game, as everyone seems to be saying, it could easily be one of the best games of the year.

Psychic Specters is basically the Pokemon Crystal of the Yo-kai Watch Franchise, so it's the ideal spot to start. YW2 covers the whole first game in about 8 hours, and then gets EVEN BETTER because there's a ton of stuff to do, tons of Yo-kai to befriend, fun quests, interesting mythology, and a great sense of place.

Wait so if i have the first game sealed still, is it better to sell that and get this instead then? Is there NO merit at all to actually playing the first to completion?

Wait so if i have the first game sealed still, is it better to sell that and get this instead then? Is there NO merit at all to actually playing the first to completion?

There is some slight appeal with Yo-kai Watch 1 - You can link it to YW2 to get 3 coins which unlock 3 special Yo-kai. Otherwise YW2 is basically a recap of YW1 and you can't transfer Yo-kai over from YW1 to YW2.

This video is pretty useful in explaining how to get those coins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n0R0EohhMY

Hey Pro-tip if you're gonna link Bony or Fleshy to Psychic:
Update your games first. I had no idea the updates would take as long as they are but I've gotta do it twice before I can even start.

Tyeforce

I’m very impressed with the ability to transfer your data from Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. I was worried that it’d only be one or the other, but fortunately you can transfer save data from both games onto the same copy of Psychic Specters! And since there are multiple save files, my husband and I were able to consolidate our saves from Bony Spirits (mine) and Fleshy Souls (his) into our single copy of Psychic Specters that we can just share, no need to buy a second copy! Nice!

It’s great that we’ve got the definitive version of Yo-kai Watch 2 now, but I fear for Yo-kai Watch 3’s chances of being localized at this point, especially with the 3DS on its way out... They really, really need to both speed up the localization process so it catches up with the Japanese releases, and slow down the rate of releases in Japan so we actually have a chance at catching up (but Level-5 loves to milk its franchises so fast...).

And I’m not just talking about the games, I want to see more of the anime, too! The anime is SO FAR AHEAD of the English dub in Japan!

Imur

Ok, I know it's kinda lazy, but I am confused. Is this like Pokemon Yellow?

I loved the first one, I own the second one (Bony) but i never played it. Heard a lot of bad things about it (reviews). People seem to like this one. But i really don't know if it's worth it if I already own Bony.

Ok, I know it's kinda lazy, but I am confused. Is this like Pokemon Yellow?

I loved the first one, I own the second one (Bony) but i never played it. Heard a lot of bad things about it (reviews). People do love this one. But i really don't know if it's worth it if I already own Bony.
Play Bony. If you like it and want more, buy Psychic and everything transfers over. It'll probably be cheaper then too.
Dunno why you heard bad things. 2 is leagues better than 1.

And yes, it's like the third version Pokémon game except data transfers and there are bonuses for having the original games.

This is the one I'll actually start with because it apparently contains a shorten version of the first game in the beginning.

I really really hope they just localize the third version of Yo-Kai Watch 3 next. If they do the original two versions first I'm afraid they'll never do the third version. Which would be really bad in this case since the original female character option in the first two games is replaced with someone different in 3 but comes back as an option in the third game. I'll like to play as her.

Persona7

Banned
Why is Amazon charging $44.99? I placed an order last night set to be delivered in a week or two. Can't find a copy at Target or Gamestop.

Seems to be out of stock on amazon as well as I only see third party sellers now.

Lawd, this Whispocrates series. I love it.
I didn't do much post-game in 2 so having all that available now PLUS all the new Psychic stuff is a bit overwhelming. My team seems super weak now, too.

Arguably the best game in the series?

Anyway, every time a new Yo-kai Watch game comes out I'm abroad. What kinda curse?

I'll try to play it next year. D:

StereoVsn

So Amazon has the YW2 Bony Spirits for $22. Is it worth to pay $12 more for the Psychic Specters? Looking to get this as a present for my nephew (11 ).

So what's going on with amazon com not selling this game? IT has been sold by third parties for a while on amazon but havent seen amazon itself list it.

So Amazon has the YW2 Bony Spirits for $22. Is it worth to pay $12 more for the Psychic Specters? Looking to get this as a present for my nephew (11 ).

I would just get him Psychic Specters because it's everything in Bony Spirits plus additional content like Gera Gera Resort and some quests that expand on Jibanyan, Whisper, Darknyan, and Dame Dedtime. It'll keep him entertained for a long, long time.

Man, I'm gonna need to start a Katie file on Fleshy Souls so I can finally get a Wydeawake.
If I transfer that save over to Psychic will it then overwrite my Bony/Psychic save or will it do a weird fusion so I can get Moximous K as well as N?

Lagamorph

By starting off with Psychic Specters am I missing much in terms of the content that requires save games from the other 2 games?
Or can that content be unlocked via different in-game methods?

Man, I'm gonna need to start a Katie file on Fleshy Souls so I can finally get a Wydeawake.
If I transfer that save over to Psychic will it then overwrite my Bony/Psychic save or will it do a weird fusion so I can get Moximous K as well as N?

I believe they end up as separate files on your PS cart, you can't really "merge" the two. Trying to get a complete medallium is nuts.

By starting off with Psychic Specters am I missing much in terms of the content that requires save games from the other 2 games?
Or can that content be unlocked via different in-game methods?

You basically need all 3 games (or trade with someone) to get the version exclusives, even in Psychic Specters.

Frankly, that and the insane RNG for some Yo-kai are my least favorite things about Yo-kai Watch. Everything else is so damn good though.

I believe they end up as separate files on your PS cart, you can't really "merge" the two. Trying to get a complete medallium is nuts.
Pretty much what I was afraid of. Now I just need to find if I can trade to Psychic from the Bony file I transferred. Probably not cause it'd essentially be cloning but I don't wanna play through the entire dang game AGAIN just for the S for Yokai that the Oni update brought.
Cause I was a fool and didn't do it before transferring!

Lagamorph

You basically need all 3 games (or trade with someone) to get the version exclusives, even in Psychic Specters.

Frankly, that and the insane RNG for some Yo-kai are my least favorite things about Yo-kai Watch. Everything else is so damn good though.

Is there much I'd be missing besides some Yo-Kai? I saw this on the Amazon description,

Exclusive dungeons for owners of Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls - players with save data from one or both of the previous versions can access new dungeons to fight special bosses and befriend exclusive Yo-kai

Ummmmm you can trade with your transfered save file!
My transfered Psychic file that came from Bony can trade with my original Bony file which means I can get double all the strong stuff I had before transferring AND to can just snag Jibanyan S and whatever version exclusive and send it over without restarting. This is great news!
Now I only need a Fleshy playthrough as Katie which is totally doable since I can speed through it with a beefy team from my Psychic file.

Is there much I'd be missing besides some Yo-Kai? I saw this on the Amazon description,
More than some. I'd say less than 20 but that could be wrong. It's no biggie unless you're a completionist, though. They won't transfer to 3 if it gets localized.

StereoVsn

I would just get him Psychic Specters because it's everything in Bony Spirits plus additional content like Gera Gera Resort and some quests that expand on Jibanyan, Whisper, Darknyan, and Dame Dedtime. It'll keep him entertained for a long, long time.
Sounds good. Got the game and he will have it this weekend. Between this and upcoming Pokémon the kid is going to be in monster raising heaven.

PSFan

So you if you do the import/export thing to transfer from Bony Spirits or Fleshy Souls, you don't have to play through the story again or anything? I have both BS and FS and my medallium is about 90 % complete in both games and the story is completed in both.

Ravelle

I never finished the first one, I got stuck for a while when you had to deliver something to your dad's office and you were chased by ghost youkai, that part sucked.

Are Fleshy Souls And Bony Spirits skippable? It's a bit confusing to have three games with the number 2 in them.

So you if you do the import/export thing to transfer from Bony Spirits or Fleshy Souls, you don't have to play through the story again or anything? I have both BS and FS and my medallium is about 90 % complete in both games and the story is completed in both.
You don't need to play it all again! Transfer your save and Psychic will start in the exact spot you saved at before transferring with everything intact.
Just be sure to grab the exclusive Yokai before transferring, especially the new ones with the Oni update like Jibanyan S.

I never finished the first one, I got stuck for a while when you had to deliver something to your dad's office and you were chased by ghost youkai, that part sucked.

Are Fleshy Souls And Bony Spirits skippable? It's a bit confusing to have three games with the number 2 in them.
There are bonuses for having all three, but they're not super important so you can jump right to Psychic. It's like the Pokémon Crystal of the series.

PSFan

You don't need to play it all again! Transfer your save and Psychic will start in the exact spot you saved at before transferring with everything intact.
Just be sure to grab the exclusive Yokai before transferring, especially the new ones with the Oni update like Jibanyan S.

There are bonuses for having all three, but they're not super important so you can jump right to Psychic. It's like the Pokémon Crystal of the series.

I'm well into postgame in Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. As I said, my medalliums are 90% complete in each one. I just need the jewel cats and those Yo-Kai that haven't been released in the US yet. The ones you get from those codes from the arcade game in Japan.

Seems pointless for me to transfer then, since I was just wandering around trying to complete the medallium.

Does your Bony Spirits or Fleshy Souls save get erased when you transfer it?

I'm well into postgame in Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. As I said, my medalliums are 90% complete in each one. I just need the jewel cats and those Yo-Kai that haven't been released in the US yet. The ones you get from those codes from the arcade game in Japan.

Seems pointless for me to transfer then, since I was just wandering around trying to complete the medallium.

Does your Bony Spirits or Fleshy Souls save get erased when you transfer it?
Did you update the games and get the new Yokai with the update yet?
Jewelnyans can only be gotten in Psychic AFAIK. You need to link the games up to grab them.

Your save doesn't get erased. The original stays on the B/F cart and a copy is made to the Psychic cart. You can even trade between your Psychic file and the original B/F file.

No harm in transferring. If you're playing Psychic you have two options: Play the entire story again with very minimal changes or transfer post-game data from the original game/s to just experience the new content. I'd recommend transferring just to keep your medallium completion.

ajjow

Just finished 1.. should i buy this or the 2nd version which came months ago!?

Price is not a problem

Just finished 1.. should i buy this or the 2nd version which came months ago!?

Price is not a problem
If you just want one version of Yokai Watch 2, get Psychic Specters.
If you're a completion is and are going to put in 200+ hours getting EVERYTHING grab all three. :p

Opa-Pa

Sorry to bump the OT with just a question, but wow, so you can actually transfer your progress?... That's both awesome and kind of a problem for me, because now I have to actually decide whether to start over or not.

I wouldn't say I've made that much progress into post game yet, but I've still done a lot. I wonder, is the new post game content substantial enough to make me want to transfer my progress and keep playing the PG there, or would I be better off just playing the whole game? (if story additions are varied then I wouldn't mind, to be honest, I loved YK2).

Top Bottom