• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka Laylee first trailer, delayed to 2017

Ansatz

So where exactly would you draw the line between spiritual successor and ripoff, considering the development team consists of a lot of the same people? If you want a new Banjo by the people who did the old ones and you know this is the closest you'll get, I don't see the issue.

Yooka-Laylee is a spiritual successor as much as Perfect Dark was, as in it's basically GoldenEye 2 without the Bond license. If another dev made PD instead of Rare it would've been called a GE clone, like how there are many Minecraft clones these days. The Tomb Raider reboot is an Uncharted clone, Red Dead Redemption is GTA with horses, etc. etc.

I would say Super Mario Galaxy is a spiritual successor to Super Mario 64,
and that Yooka-Laylee would've been a direct sequel to Banjo-Tooie like SMG2 is to SMG1, if they were allowed to used the Banjo IP.

Maybe some people expected Yooka Laylee to capture the spirit of Banjo Kazooie, without actually being BK (again, like SM64 -> SMG)

The game still has at least six to eighteen months of development time ahead of it. There's time for improvement.

Enough time to turn it from a boring collectable to an original and ingenious vehicle construction game?

This just doesn't look appealing in any way to me. The gameplay looks boring and decided to put in the shitting cart levels from DK doesn't exactly instil much conference that they care about fun game design.

Enough time to turn it from a boring collectable to an original and ingenious vehicle construction game?

This just doesn't look appealing in any way to me. The gameplay looks boring and decided to put in the shitting cart levels from DK doesn't exactly instil much conference that they care about fun game design.

this whole post lol

It's just not for you, by the sounds of things.

daTRUballin

I take it you weren't a fan of the Banjo games on the N64 and instead liked Nuts & Bolts more?

If that's the case, then, as the poster above me already said, the game is simply not for you.

Trowzer clearly needs his own game. Spin-off, something, something ... like Treasure Tracker
You're in luck, Playtonic actually wants to make a connected universe of games provided YL is successful, like how Banjo and Conker spun off from Diddy Kong Racing.

Neiteio

After this, Playtonic should make a 2D spiritual successor to DKC complete with pre-rendered graphics in the style of the SNES trilogy, exploring more of the characters from Yooka-Laylee. Preferably something dark and atmospheric, doing for DKC2 what Yooka-Laylee did for Banjo-Kazooie!

Then they can take this expanded universe and make a mascot racer with an explorable overworld and boss battles in an Adventure Mode, giving us the sequel to Diddy Kong Racing we've always wanted. :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

It's probably just not for you.

People were shitting themselves over the Sony E3 conference but I didn't see a single game that interested me.

Does it mean those games are bad? Hell no!

I'm just not interested in them.

Dr. Buni

It's probably just not for you.

People were shitting themselves over the Sony E3 conference but I didn't see a single game that interested me.

Does it mean those games are bad? Hell no!

I'm just not interested in them.
Same here.

Yooka-Laylee news and the announcement of Rhythm Heaven Megamix were the highlights of E3 to me, yet not many people are commenting about them.

Wow, just saw this (thanks for the people that voted for it in the E3 thread, I would've missed it otherwise). Looks fantastic! Huge Rare vibes, the like we haven't seen from "actual" Rare in forever.

Also that Banjo-style outro was fantastic. LOVE.

tumblr_o8unzfoNz81rtnjgco1_540.png

Top Bottom