• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: I don't know why Layden wore Crash shirt; PSX focus is smaller titles

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Honestly, I still don't know the hierarchy of Sony. Like is Shuhei Layden's boss? And where does Andrew House fit in all this?

I think Shu is one tier below Layden, but the key point is that Shu is only responsible for the first party projects.

Andrew House is the big boss.

House is Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

Layden is Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO
Shu is Worldwide Studios CEO

The other regions CEOs are Jim Ryan (SCE Europe) Atsushi Morita (SCE Japan)

He's at it!

Tidux ‏@Tidux 36m36 minutes ago
So, The show ended kinda akward. I'm pretty sure Shu was supposed to show off fw 4.0, and a final speech from Shawn (1/2)

Tidux ‏@Tidux 35m35 minutes ago
(2/2) was gonna show some stats from sales and then end the show with introduction of Bend's new IP.

Tidux ‏@Tidux 32m32 minutes ago
I have no clue what happened to Bends new IP. Or the news of FW 4.0 (including name changes) I will try to find out

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
He's at it!

So, The show ended kinda akward. I'm pretty sure Shu was supposed to show off fw 4.0, and a final speech from Shawn (1/2)

(2/2) was gonna show some stats from sales and then end the show with introduction of Bend's new IP.

I have no clue what happened to Bends new IP. Or the news of FW 4.0 (including name changes) I will try to find out

I was kind of surprised at the amount of pushback against their PSX showing.

Maybe I go into these events with notably lower expectations than other people, but it seemed fine.

The VR stuff looked really boring, but I'm not expecting anything out of VR for 5-10 years at least anyway.

Coming off of their E3 people were expecting mega bombs again and also the ending was terrible. Personally for me though the FF7 and Uncharted stuff made it worth it by far.

Raylan

Banned
He's at it!

Can we please ignore this guy? Don't give these fake "insiders" attention.
It's just sad to watch. And there are still some blind folks which are in denial and actually still believe him.

Yeah and I've heard they were meant to announce Crash reboot, but their system crashed and it erased the video.
Better luck next time!

The ending was abrupt. I told that to Adam Boyes face to face (name drop, oh yeah!). He pretty much said the same thing that smaller titles are the focus and I can tell you this, people were eager to get to the show floor. The conference ending early might have been a disappointment for viewers at home, but we could get to the floor and PLAY GAMES much earlier than expected.

I think Shu is one tier below Layden, but the key point is that Shu is only responsible for the first party projects.

Andrew House is the big boss.

House is Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

Layden is Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO
Shu is Worldwide Studios CEO

The other regions CEOs are Jim Ryan (SCE Europe) Atsushi Morita (SCE Japan)

Layden, Shu, Ryan and Atsushi are the Four Heavenly Generals.

Mikey Jr.

Maybe I go into these events with notably lower expectations than other people, but it seemed fine.

The VR stuff looked really boring, but I'm not expecting anything out of VR for 5-10 years at least anyway.

I think people were expecting E3 2015 part 2.

My only gripe is why not show more of what you HAVE shown?

Why not more Horizon? TLG? GT? I'm not saying it has to be some super polished trailer, but a few minutes of gameplay.

Just saying, a little more AAA games would have been nice, especially during that middle section.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Maybe it was one of those "test the water" kind of things. Like when Disney posted a 30 second teaser to Tron 2 to see if fans would care. They'll study our reactions to Crach Bandicoot, and from that hopefully decide to make it.

ClearData

Shu I don't believe your lies. This is right out of the Hashimoto playbook.

Set em up with the troll and knock em down with the reveal.

;-)

Thewonandonly

Did they said "expect a lot of AAA megatons announcements"? before the event? I can't recall them saying that but I might be wrong.

=]
Well they started with uncharted 4 and ff7 then said "if we are starting with this imagine what else we caught"
We got randy pitchfork begging everyone to play battleborn.
1 hour of indies which was just to much even though I did pick up nuclear throne.
Then ended on another Moba that is going to come back next year with the leader of epic begging people to play it. Announcing Jacob the badass lemur.

Ragona

Didnt Layden say something like: "if we start like that, you can immagine what the next 2 hours will be like." Which ended up being pretty meh.
I dont mind a focus on smaller games but it wasnt really communicated really well and the ending was a proper facepalm.

He's at it!

lol insiders are sad ppl

Mikey Jr.

That ending was fucking weird. I'll give tidux that much. Did feel like there was supposed to be a "one last thing" type of announcement.

Luke_Wal

Maybe I misunderstood it, but I heard Yoshida's comment as him asking Corsi if he knew what it was. Like, he was asking Corsi if he was in on the secret. I might have misheard it, though.

LifEndz

Exactly what I was saying in the PSX thread. People went into that conference expecting E3 type stuff and it's really Sony giving thanks to the community and showcasing smaller titles and giving new looks at already announced titles.

But I still think we're getting Crash at E3.

sense

That ending was fucking weird. I'll give tidux that much. Did feel like there was supposed to be a "one last thing" type of announcement.

i like how layden tried to explain the end of show as something he didn't want to do after watching the trailer for paragon. it was so good that he didn't want to follow it up lol. something was definitely taken out from the end of that conference imo.

cool announcements but they need to present it better, started of with a big bang then fizzled out

Angry Fork

I think people were expecting it to be like e3 but just a Sony conference. I always expect non-e3 conferences to have nothing major though because they're ...not e3.

But I think lately events like gdc have been given more hype for whatever reason, maybe big games were shown there recently I can't remember, so people might assume the same of something like PSX. It would be nice to have mini-e3's multiple times per year but I just don't see that happening.

FF7 gameplay was a cool surprise but yea the rest of it was lame to me, but I'm not disappointed because I didn't expect much to begin with. I could see people being upset by the Crash tease though when it seemed obvious they would show it if an important guy has a crash shirt on stage for no reason.

labaronx

It was fine... this event is probably a 100 t8mes better in person

The new games showed were neat and my purchases for next year on ps4 are all but confirmed

The 1st half is deep

VertPin

Don't believe his lies. There has been several hints that Crash is coming back home. In fact, BruceLeeRoy provided some back up mentioning that he will be coming back.

Sf5 last year and ni no kuni 2 are not small titles.

Yeah and fing Ace Combat 7, but they're not 1st party......so what?

Seriously that show was pretty solid and considering what Sony revealed during this whole year it's like icing on top of a gargantuan cake.

I actually think on the whole it had a real good mix of big and small games. As much as any Sony show has been the last few years when indies dominate their pressers. Maybe a little more indie focused then E3 or Gamescom but not by much.

The problem was with how the ending was presented. It just ending. No build up.

Nothing against Epic or that MOBA thing but it felt like it was just another game in the part of the show where Adam Boyes rattles off 3rd party games. It didnt feel like the closer. Then the show just ended.

After Ni No Kuni 2 Layden should have come back out and rattle off the normal ending lines about how awesome they are and then said "and we got one more game from one of the most influential developers of all time" and really bult it up.

Like I totally see why they thought having a console exclusive from the Gears of War people was a fitting closer to a show but they presented it about as bad as they could have.

Jonboy

Those saying you don't believe him...watch the video. He came across as being legit curious/confused about it. He even turned to Gio and asked him if he knew why Layden chose to wear the crash t-shirt.

AmuroChan

He's at it!

damage control.

AAA exclusive open world blockbusters or bust I'm afraid.

Top Bottom