• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: There Will Be A Move/Camera PSVR Bundle

Dominator

I just got 2 preowned Move controllers at GameStop. If this bundle entices me I'll just return them. Don't have the camera yet.

The Argus

This seems more like the main SKU than anything. Outside of Twitch Streamers and the select few actually interested in Move (Gaf fanboys/fangirls) who actually owns the camera?

The webcam and controllers are probably dirt cheap to produce, but the total manufacturers cost would still be over that magical $400 level, so they sold this lite/camera free version off as the main one. It's not shady like some people are saying on the price OT but it's not exactly nice either. Hopefully they really drill home that a separate camera needs to be purchased when the holidays come around. That said I do believe if Microsoft, Nvidia, Oculus, or even Nintendo pulled this there would be a lot more pissed posters on Gaf tonight. Helps to be teacher's pet.

Of course there would be.

I'm still getting the $399 bundle though. I can probably find the Camera for much cheaper then whatever the bundle price ends up being (unless it's like $429 or something).

klaushm

I saw a ZhugeEX tweet just a few mins ago that pegs it at 5.6 million:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/709889439154229252
Well, his logic is about Sony first talk about attatch rate of the câmera(15%) at the begin.

Now it's much, muuuuch lower.

Announcing it without bundling was good for 2 reasons:
- People who already have the câmera or/and move controlers;
- People thinking PSVR is $200 cheaper than OR and $400 than VIVE;

People will say that anyway. They should have announced it a the show as a headset only version and a everything in the box version. It just looks shady holding back sharing this info with prospective buyers who aren't all going to be people clued in.

Isn't consumer choice what Sony was hitting MS over the head with.

This is all over the place.

I don't understand how selling each part seperately and as a bundle isn't providing the consumer with choice?

The Argus

I saw a ZhugeEX tweet just a few mins ago that pegs it at 5.6 million:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/709889439154229252

Interesting. I highly doubt that current estimate though. It was a hot item the first few months after launch but since then there has been no reason to get one outside of streaming. In early 2014 the Playroom (and by that I really mean lounging around smoking dope and talking general tabloid news as little robots ran around your room) was pretty big, but what has replaced it? Going with that stat I'd be surprised if there were 2.5 million cameras in the wild. Respectable number for an unnecessary accessory, but now it's a requirement if you want to play VR.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Will likely be around $100 extra. Can't see them starting too much from RRP.

They're likely to sell through their first allocation as it doesn't sound that big. I can't see them doing that when they don't need to.

Probably will somewhere down the line.

$100 extra sounds fair enough for me.

Probably just want to keep it a quiet thing so people aren't saying "PSVR is $500"

lol, just like when they announce the based price of Vita on stage few years back, until people realizes that it doesn't include the priced of the expensive memory card.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
lol, just like when they announce the based price of Vita on stage few years back, until people realizes that it doesn't include the priced of the expensive memory card.
I got a Vita during a black Friday deal so the memory card cost me half of what the system did LOL

THE:MILKMAN

I'm confused with the quote in the OP. If the camera is required i.e. can't use it without, why isn't it included in the £349/$399 package?

This would be like not supplying a DS4 with the PS4.

They're going about this wrong.

Front and center should be the PSVR + Camera for $449, since it's required for basic functionality. Likely the majority of the consumer base needs this starter edition.

Behind that should be the announced hardware as it is, PSVR for just $399 for those with either the camera or move controllers.

And lastly the complete edition, PSVR + Camera + Move Set for $499 for those wanting to invest in everything in one easy package.

Showcasing the camera-less model as the main SKU is only going to produce a lot of disgruntled consumers that realize they'll need a camera the moment they get home and turn the PSVR.

Raylan

Banned
I'm confused with the quote in the OP. If the camera is required i.e. can't use it without, why isn't it included in the £349/$399 package?

Because there are millions out there who already bought the camera years ago.

Zaptruder

Banned
If they're advertising the HMD by itself front and center, then their retail strategy will need to be tight.

1. Big words on box: PSVR REQUIRES PS CAMERA.
2. Retailers should be trained to mention this.
3. Cameras (and Move controllers) should be readily available alongside the HMD box.
4. Packaged bundles also available.

Nikodemos

Well, they've already sold about two million of the things and they believe most/all of them will end up in the hands of people interested in the PSVR.

Footos22

Picked up 2 cheap moves today £10 each. Will get my mum to get me camera for my bday as she don't know what to get me. There's my cheap option sorted.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Front and center should be the PSVR + Camera for $449, since it's required for basic functionality. Likely the majority of the consumer base needs this starter edition.

Behind that should be the announced hardware as it is, PSVR for just $399 for those with either the camera or move controllers.

And lastly the complete edition, PSVR + Camera + Move Set for $499 for those wanting to invest in everything in one easy package.

Showcasing the camera-less model as the main SKU is only going to produce a lot of disgruntled consumers that realize they'll need a camera the moment they get home and turn the PSVR.

But they want the press to write that the PSVR cost $399, so it looks better on the front pages.

The more expensive price tags will reveal later once the dust has settled.

duvjones

Banned
This seems more like the main SKU than anything. Outside of Twitch Streamers and the select few actually interested in Move (Gaf fanboys/fangirls) who actually owns the camera?

The webcam and controllers are probably dirt cheap to produce, but the total manufacturers cost would still be over that magical $400 level, so they sold this lite/camera free version off as the main one. It's not shady like some people are saying on the price OT but it's not exactly nice either. Hopefully they really drill home that a separate camera needs to be purchased when the holidays come around. That said I do believe if Microsoft, Nvidia, Oculus, or even Nintendo pulled this there would be a lot more pissed posters on Gaf tonight. Helps to be teacher's pet.

Not much of a surprise really that Sony would get a pass on this, at least here on Gaf.

Personally, I don't have much of an interest but it will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Pinky

Banned
If I jump in on PSVR, I'll go with this bundle. I don't have the camera or Move controllers, so this would work out.

THE:MILKMAN

Because there are millions out there who already bought the camera years ago.

But this is a completely separate technology/peripheral years later and requires the part to function. It is not consumers fault Sony decided to make use of a existing peripheral and I can see this going down like a lead balloon. It is a sneaky way to have a lower headline price.

I guess what will happen is that they will do a bundle with the camera and moves thus increasing the real cost to ~£450.

The base version should come with the camera already. It's gonna make a lot of casual early adapters angry when they find out they have to buy another accessory before they can enjoy VR.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The base version should come with the camera already. It's gonna make a lot of casual early adapters angry when they find out they have to buy another accessory before they can enjoy VR.

What if MS released a hypothetical VR unit that the base model had a Kinect bundled in. A bunch of people would be pissed that they have to rebuy something they already own.

And why would early adopters not just wait for the bundle?

BahamutPT

The moves on display at the event are the old version, so I'm not sure they're redesigning them. I think if they had a new iteration that would be the one on display.

Elandyll

Banned
Imagine the bundle

$499

With Battlefront VR included

star-wars-rogue-one-ps4-vr-helmet-bundle-is-fake-but-not-that-far-off_1.jpg

(Yes I know it's rogue squadron and it's super fake)

BOOM This is what people aren't getting.

Top Bottom