• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Land Wii U Listing up on Future Shop

TheChits

I remember this being speculated on here before. Somebody mentioned it after the orange showed up in the last Nintendo Direct.

I think it's actually hinting toward this game.

How could I have been so blind. The answer has been in front of me the whole damn time

Haunted

After DKCR I'd be happy to see Retro take this.
They did a pretty amazing job on that game, with one crucial fuckup in the change to the roll mechanics. It should be momentum based not fixed distance, goddamnit!

That said, if Nintendo wants a faithful modernisation of a beloved game, they could always go to Next-Level's A-team.

jmls1121

Banned
It is weird how quickly we all just accepted it. Like "Nintendo higher-ups stare at fruit now. That's just what they do." I mean, thinking about it, it has to mean SOMETHING.

It really is amazing and wonderful that this 10 billion dollar consumer electronic giant appears to be run and operated by crazy people. And I love it.

ohlawd

Q1zD4.jpg
?

Would buy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see a 3D Yoshi game working all that well. Or... I just don't want it. I just want a proper follow up to Yoshi's Island. :-|

They did a pretty amazing job on that game, with one crucial fuckup in the change to the roll mechanics. It should be momentum based not fixed distance, goddamnit!

That, and the latter stages have a nasty tendency towards "ha, got you!" level design.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
It'll just be a gardening and family raising sim like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing only with different colored yoshis exclusively. lol

ASIS

Those don't count because they're all made by companies that Nintendo bought, or just mods that they turned into full games.

So let's recap, then:

1) Hnadhelds don't count because this is a console-only discussion.
2) First party titles don't count because Nintendo acquired them rather than developed it themselves.
3) First party games that get outsourced, such as Punch Out don't count because of the same reason as 2
4) I presume 3D titles like the Wii Series and Nintendoland don't count because they are "casual" games
5) Future projects , such as Pikmin 3, don't count because..?
6) Core franchises that focus on 3D adventure-esque genre like Mario and Zelda don't count because...?
7) Let's neglect Metroid and Animal Crossing while we are at it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't think you have to worry about that. Unless they have two teams now. They wouldn't need FPS map designers and artists focussing on (dark) fantasy stuff to do a Yoshi game.

Yeah, because Donkey Kong Country Returns was totally a FPS with dark fantasy stuff.

ChaosXVI

I know it seems like we are getting into tin foil hat territory, but I think the whole staring at fruit thing is meant to be hinting toward this game. The signs to me point to Retro, but if they are trying to build this much subtle hype, I have to assume this is going to be a 3D adventure game...maybe even featuring bigger, more exploration based worlds like Mario 64, sort of how Yoshi's Island took the Mario formula and made it more exploration based than ever before (or since).

The above description of the game could be completely wrong, but no doubt in my mind, some kind of Yoshi game is coming to Wii U, and it will be announced before Christmas. All my eggs are in the basket on that.

SykoTech

Really want to get excited, but the description doesn't really tell if it's a platformer/adventure game. The use of the word "epic" gives me hope, but who knows. That words gets missued so much these days.

Yeah, the rolling thing in DKCR was completely terrible. If it is Retro, than I really hope they don't have something needlessly awful to drag this game down as well.

I think it's clear we were talking 3D console titles.

Pikmin isn't out yet, and its 6 year development time is not promising.
Kid Icarus is a handheld title.
Other:M was arguably 2D, and it SUCKED.

Seriously, Nintendo's last proper non Mario/Zelda console title was Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube.

Edit - Looks like I forgot about Prime 3 and Endless Ocean, those were better days.

Sorry for wanting Yoshi's Land to be the game it should be, don't worry. I'm sure you'd never defend it even if it was a NSMB style game.
There is no arguing metroid other m is a 3D game with fixed camera angles. No one argues resident evil is a 2D game. Also there were plenty of games released by Nintendo that are 3D adventures after starfox adventures. Wasn't it released in 2003?
because of reasons

also, xenoblade, disaster, excite truck/bots, battalion wars 2, pilotwings resort
I also believe the Wii fire emblem was 3D. Also wario world. Also pikmin 2. Also 3 metroid games. Also 2 new starfox games. Also 3 paper Mario games since 2004. Not counting nintendoland. The list goes on but I don't feel like listing them. Besides all of those don't count because of reasons.

Oersted

There is no arguing metroid other m is a 3D game with fixed camera angles. No one argues resident evil is a 2D game. Also there were plenty of games released by Nintendo that are 3D adventures after starfox adventures. Wasn't it released in 2003?

I also believe the Wii fire emblem was 3D. Also wario world. Also pikmin 2. Also 3 metroid games. Also 2 new starfox games. Also 3 paper Mario games since 2004. Not counting nintendoland. The list goes on but I don't feel like listing them. Besides all of those don't count because of reasons.

Here is a list^^

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Pokémon Channel
Wario World

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Pikmin 2
Pokémon Colosseum

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (Australia only)
Battalion Wars
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Geist
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Star Fox: Assault

Baten Kaitos Origins
Chibi-Robo! (btw: What happened to that game? Skyp Ltd last time worked on 2 Wii Play games which hasbeen released back in 2011. Since then, silence.)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Battalion Wars 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Mario Galaxy

Endless Ocean

Metroid Prime: Trilogy
New Play Control! Chibi Robo

Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Monster Hunter Tri
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Metroid: Other M

Conor 419

Banned
Ah yes, Nintendo have a terrible track record when it comes to games with long development cycles. Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy were all dogshit.

God damn I really fucked that first post up in relation to the point I was actually trying to make.

TreIII

...sort of how Yoshi's Island took the Mario formula and made it more exploration based than ever before (or since).

My younger self's mind was pretty blown when it realized that Mario 64 (and thus, future 3D Mario games) did more than its fair share of citing from Yoshi's Island: the exploration aspect, hunting for red coins, time-based power-up/transformations...

Assuming this new game is the hands of a capable team like Retro, I'd certainly like to see what they could do with the YI-style. Be it in 2D or 3D.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I'm glad they left in the ability to jump after rolling in off an edge...one of my favorite gameplay mechanics in video-game history, always feel great pulling that off.

Lijik

If the 3D wouldn't bring anything meaningful to the Yoshi Island franchise, why force it? Using the tongue in SMG2 was good enough, but already you could tell it would be more accurate in 2D. Same goes for throwing eggs.

Eh. This definitely seems like a mechanic that would easier/more accurate if you were using a pointer to aim

Yuterald

If this is true, I can guarantee Good Feel has been working on this. I'd be really surprised if Nintendo didn't have those guys working on another beloved franchise. Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby's Epic Yarn were really fucking good platformers. It makes too much sense! Make it happen!

Alright, so here's the thing Nintendo. No babies. Don't just try to copy your past works like you always do. Eggs, flutter jump, etc. are fine. Keep the mechanics of the best one, but just keep the babies out.

Well this excites me a bit, especially since I was bummed how I can't take Yoshi around with me in the Wii version. Time to give him the spotlight once again!

zroid

Banned
The bigger news than Future Shop making a listing for Yoshi's Land, a game which may or may not exist, is that they've done so while still not listing The Wonderful 101.

WTF?

TreIII

Alright, so here's the thing Nintendo. No babies. Don't just try to copy your past works like you always do. Eggs, flutter jump, etc. are fine. Keep the mechanics of the best one, but just keep the babies out.

It depends on how the babies are used, in my opinion.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the lil Yoshi tykes from Yoshi's Story getting some more play. Either utilizing a perfected/refined version of the Yoshi Island-style mechanics or possibly doing something a bit different.

Baby Mario and/or Luigi should be in there somewhere. Under the circumstances that this is a 2D platformer, you better bet there will be multiplayer of some kind and that each Yoshi will have its own baby.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Game is actually Yoshi's Laundry.

A game where Yoshi will have to reel-in the green, or face the mean Triads looking for their 'protection' money.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
What about Yoshi teaming up...with Baby Yoshi?

I remember your thread about Yoshi's Island being your fav game during the Snes period. If it can recapture its essence, I don't see why not. But, the music has to be equally as sick.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If there are Baby Yoshis in there, they are most likely the baby Yoshis from Yoshis Story - which I would absolutely be fine with. I don't think there will be Baby Mario or Baby Luigi, at least not in the same role as in Yoshis Island, because I think then it would be called Yoshi's Island Wii U or something akin.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there will be Baby Mario or Baby Luigi, at least not in the same role as in Yoshis Island, because I think then it would be called Yoshi's Island Wii U or something akin.
Yeah, that's the same hunch I have. Assuming the rumored title is the real title, which I hope not, cause it's terrible. :lol

Top Bottom