• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshitoshi ABe Community: Everyone Is Connected

cj_iwakura

So Yoshitoshi ABe is one of my favorite artists. His concept art has been described as unimitable, and I'm inclined to agree.

Serial_Experiments_Lain_DVD_Vol_00.png

I had no idea what the show was about. I bought it purely because of the cover.

I wasn't disappointed. Serial Experiments Lain is a classic cyberpunkian trip into the worlds of reality, the internet, and what happens when the lines between the two blur.

Considering that it was made in 1998, it's fairly prophetic as well.

Chiaki Konaka, a frequent ABe collaborator, was responsible for the core story and series outline, and would go on to work with ABe on many other projects.

ABe's next project was... well, a bit different.

NIEA_7_vol4.jpg

What can be said about NieA_7 to appropriately describe it? No easy feat.

A wacky slice-of-life comedy about freeloading aliens comes close enough!

The polar opposite of Lain in every sense, and yet still a wonderful show in its own right.

The third project ABe designed the art for was a more personal project, and largely considered his best work.

Haibane_Renmei_Logo.png

Before becoming a major name in anime, ABe got his start doing doujin works, like most artists.

Reki_and_Rakka.jpg

Haibane Renmei was among them, and remains near and dear to him.

I don't enjoy the show as much as his other works, but the artwork done for Haibane Renmei is among his finest ever, and it tells one emotional tale.

For the last project ever made into an anime, ABe once again teamed up with Chiaki Konaka to create...

Texhnolyze.Wallpaper.37997.jpg

Texhnolyze. A bleak, relentlessly dark cyberpunk story of lost limbs, souls, and lives. It breaks the 13-episode tradition of ABe shows, and flounders a bit as a result.

The show goes all over the place, and doesn't have the best of resolutions, but the artwork, lovely as ever, makes up for it in spades.

Last and certainly not least, that brings us to...

Despera.

despera-2.jpg

Right from the gate, Despera had so much going for it. A new Chiaki Konaka story, with Steampunk influence. ABe on art design. The director of Lain bringing it all together.

And then, the director fell ill, and ever since... Despera has gone silent.

All that remains is some gorgeous artwork, and scattered hopes of what might have been.

Perhaps Despera will return, but until then, ABe's art can speak for it.

Feel free to discuss the works of ABe, or if nothing else, his timeless art.

Here's some more.

ABe has also done the art for a light novel/visual novel called Phenomeno.

14238.jpg

It's free to play, and comes VERY highly recommended.

Thread here.

Replicant

Chiaki Konaka, a frequent ABe collaborator, was responsible for the core story and series outline, and would go on to work with ABe on many other projects.

Their next trip together was... well, a bit different.

NIEA_7_vol4.jpg

What can be said about NieA_7 to appropriately describe it? No easy feat.

A wacky slice-of-life comedy about freeloading aliens comes close enough!

The polar opposite of Lain in every sense, and yet still a wonderful show in its own right.

My favorite of all Yoshitoshi Abe's works. It's just the kind of quiet, slice-of-life anime that I like to watch.

Busaiku

Texhnolyze is so underrated.
Everyone loves Lain and Haibane Renmei, but nobody's even seen Texhnolyze.

I like it a lot, probably the most.

Serial Experiments Lain might be my favorite series ever. It had the perfect combination of creative geniuses. I can't even tell you how excited I was for Despera, and it's honestly been a long time since I was really into watching anime. I'm still holding out hope for it.

I'd also say that Yoshitoshi ABe's art and character designs were responsible for most of my enjoyment of Haibane Renmei. Need to check out Texhnolyze.

Zekes!

I've only watched a few episodes of lane, and Haibane Renmei, which I loved.

Been meaning to check out his other work for a long time.

androvsky

There's been some strong hinting that Funimation finally has the blu-ray masters for Lain from Japan, and they're looking at an early fall release. The latest volume of Otaku USA apparently suggests it's getting a DVD/Blu-ray combo release in September. Haibane Renmei is supposed to be getting a release from Funimation also, but no word about a blu-ray for that series. :(

AnimeFest in Dallas had ABe as a guest for at least a couple years; it's kinda strange when the presence of someone of his caliber becomes almost taken for granted. Managed to pick up an artbook that's only supposed to be available to people that attend his panels at conventions. It's not my favorite of his works, but it's still pretty good, especially given that the (few) pages are huge.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I'll see if I can rehost them, failing that, I'll grab them from the ABe imageboard.

I love how almost every ABe female has a 'normal' look. You seldom if ever see him do fan-servicey artwork.

Dachande

Oh, I had no idea that Despera existed at all. I wondered if ABe was going to do any more anime projects again, so... that sucks.

My Lain huge illustration book (which several of those images come from) one of my favourite artbooks in my collection, and I adore Haibane. Only watched one episode of Texhnolyze and didn't continue with it for some reason, but I might give it another shot now...

bengraven

I knew a guy who was in love with LAIN.

No no, I don't mean he had a crush on her character, some nerdy little fetish, "*sigh* I wish I had a girl like that" attitude.

He. Was in love. WITH her.

He believed she existed in a multiverse somewhere, because if the multiverse is real than there are infinite possibilities. So in some multiverse, trillions and trillions of verse layers away, there was a real life Lain. And he pined for her.

When I told him he was acting odd and should try and get a real girl, he gave me a five page explanation for how naive and frankly closed minded I was.

Before the multiverse thing hit him, though, he was STILL in love with Lain. He said back in those days that "she's real to me, which makes her real, can't you understand the concept or are you too ignorant?".

He was a great person to talk to.

cj_iwakura

I knew a guy who was in love with LAIN.

No no, I don't mean he had a crush on her character, some nerdy little fetish, "*sigh* I wish I had a girl like that" attitude.

He. Was in love. WITH her.

He believed she existed in a multiverse somewhere, because if the multiverse is real than there are infinite possibilities. So in some multiverse, trillions and trillions of verse layers away, there was a real life Lain. And he pined for her.

When I told him he was acting odd and should try and get a real girl, he gave me a five page explanation for how naive and frankly closed minded I was.

Before the multiverse thing hit him, though, he was STILL in love with Lain. He said back in those days that "she's real to me, which makes her real, can't you understand the concept or are you too ignorant?".

He was a great person to talk to.

Sounds like an interesting guy.
considering what I go by, I really can't hate much

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Haibane Renmei remains my favorite anime.

Got a chance to meet ABe at Anime Expo 2003. Went to his panel, and won a raffle for a pencil drawing on hard stock. Got a great sketch of Hikari from Haibane Renmei. I was cosplaying the Communicator from the show when I went to pick up the sketch from the autograph session and also met Yasuyuki Ueda (producer for ABe anime) and they both got a kick out of it. ABe was just signing autographs and not looking up at anyone till Ueda poked him when i came up.

hikari-sketch.jpg

Meier

I loved NieA Under 7.. great character and great show. I bought all the Haibane Renmei DVDs but never did finish it (as a fansub or later with the DVDs). Haven't seen the newer stuff.

ABe and Lain made me the anime fan I am today; made me take the medium seriously as an art form. I'll follow anything he touches. Has there been any sort of update on Despera of late?

cj_iwakura

Nope, but if anyone hears about it first, it'd be the ABe imageboard. I follow ABe on twitter, and he mostly shares photos(which are admittedly gorgeous, but hey).

Be warned the imageboard gets spammed by random idiot pictures a lot.

B.K.

Lain Blu-Ray set is coming to America!

Via ANN forum:

09:31:33 <bay> who here likes lain
09:31:44 <bay> it will be coming out later this year on bluray
09:31:52 <bay> and it will be a very, very, very special edition
09:31:58 <bay> there will be a lot of cool stuff going in that box
09:32:01 <bay> graphic designers are working over time
09:32:07 <bay> it's a very important show, it inspired the matrix
09:32:25 <bay> and we're going all out for lain
09:32:41 <bay> it's gorgeous, we're really happy to put it on bluray, it's taken extra time, ut when you see it, you 'll say it's worth it
09:32:46 <bay> the same goes for the rest of the geneon catalog that we acquired
09:32:54 <bay> some of those titles will be coming out later this year

cj_iwakura

Sounds awesome, but what kind of company rep types like that?

'it'll be real cool lol'

Inspired The Matrix, is that true?

B.K.

From the ANN forums, again:

Serial Experiments Lain: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo?) - $89.98 - 11/13/12 (listed by them as DVD, but the MSRP likely will suggest otherwise)

That'll make a nice little birthday present to myself.

cj_iwakura

Any features or anything? Morbidly curious.
(The PS1 game cutscenes would be an amazing inclusion, the game's mostly a VN.)

MMAli

Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime series ever created, and one of the best TV series of the last 20 years. I will definitely be buying the blu-ray set.

Top Bottom