• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshitoshi ABe Community: Everyone Is Connected

New ABe art, anyone?

From his pixiv:

39166838_m.jpg

I wish he'd do more fantasy.

37565011_m.jpg

Also, his setup:
It appears they don't allow hotlinking...

DVD :/ Lame...I was hoping for a BR release.

Being a nonnative-HD series, Haibane Renmei had to be upscaled for a Blu-ray release when released in Japan. Apparently the upscale was not the great, according to some reviewers.

As a owner of FUNimation's DVD release I am pleased with the quality, and for lack of better words, the series vibe fits well without bright and and vibrant colors most people expect from Blu-ray quality. This is my opinion, but the lack of a Blu-ray release should not stop a person from supporting a release especially when the series was not created with an HD-master to begin with.

So, there are two versions of the Lain Blu-ray. What's the difference? I couldn't tell from a quick search and scanning of the details.

Branduil

Being a nonnative-HD series, Haibane Renmei had to be upscaled for a Blu-ray release when released in Japan. Apparently the upscale was not the great, according to some reviewers.

As a owner of FUNimation's DVD release I am pleased with the quality, and for lack of better words, the series vibe fits well without bright and and vibrant colors most people expect from Blu-ray quality. This is my opinion, but the lack of a Blu-ray release should not stop a person from supporting a release especially when the series was not created with an HD-master to begin with.

The Japanese upscale was horrible. It's really unfortunate the Haibane Renmei is doomed to the SD ghetto forever, since it's one of my favorite shows and the original art would likely look beautiful in HD.

nny

Fellow ABe fans, allow me to share an extremely pleasant surprise I had recently. I've been wanting the Scrap NiEA_7 artbook for quite some time and I recently decided to get it on eBay. I searched for a used copy in good condition and bought it. Imagine my surprise when I started flipping the book and noticed Abe's signature on it.

"No way this is a real signature, it's printed on", I thought, but it really looked like it was really written with a marker. I searched online for prints of the book and, lo and behold, that page has no signature printed on it. "No way!" I then searched online for his autograph to compare and came across lots of autographs...in Kanji. "There you go, it's not his" ...I continued searching and then came across some autographs like the one on the pic above...so he apparently signs both ways.

The eBay seller certainly wasn't aware of it, otherwise he would make it known and price it accordingly. So there you go, I'm finally starting to convince myself I got a signed Abe book completely by accident...

...unless someone here comes forward and tells me there were two editions of the book, and one came with a printed signature. ;P

cj_iwakura

Has there been any word about the Despera project? Was it just quietly abandoned? Someone must know.

In lieu of that, anyone care to speculate based on the art ABe did?

despera-2.jpg

What we know:

• Steampunk elements
  • Written by Chiaki Konaka
  • Possible Lain connections
  • Cyberpunk elements?

Cast:
Ain (あいん Ain?) - A 12 year old girl who resides in her workshop inside the basement of the Ryōunkaku in Asakusa, Tokyo. A technical genius with no prior scientific knowledge, she is able to create electronic devices far beyond the capabilities of the current era. Some of the devices created include early versions of a modern computer, complete with typewriter keyboards and cathode ray tube display monitors.

Unknown Man - A man in his 30s who is an associate of Ain's. In the prologue chapter of the novel, he claims to be able to see the future through the displays on Ain's computer monitors. His face and identity has yet to be revealed.

Enoki (榎木 Enoki?) - A military officer who works for the Japanese army's science institute. He holds the rank of 2nd lieutenant. Enoki is sent to Asakusa to investigate the unstable electrical discharge occurring in the vicinity of the Ryōunkaku.

Kimiyasu Fuenokōji (笛小路公寧 Fuenokōji Kimiyasu?) - A Japanese nobleman with the title of viscount. It is unknown what relationship Kimiyasu has with Ain, but he is interested in her unorthodox inventions. He has a primary residence in Sanbanchō of Chiyoda-ku, and a second residence at the Kanda-Surugadai district.

Barbara Andrei (バルバラ・アンドレイ Barubara Andorei?) - A Russian woman of aristocratic origins, Barbara is a refugee who escaped from Harbin during the disownment of the presence of Russians by the Chinese Republic. She lives in the Kanda-Surugadai residence owned by Kimiyasu who has taken her in. Ain is particularly uncomfortable of Barbara's presence as she is frightened of her pale white complexion, presumably having never seen a Russian before.

Chapters from the serialization:
00. "Prologue" (序章 "Joshō")
01. "The Girl Below the Twelve Stories" (十二階下の少女 "Jūnikai shita no shōjo")
02. "The Russian Lady of the Mansion" (洋館の露西亜貴婦人 "Yōkan no roshia kifujin")
03. "Asakusa Tales" (浅草異譚 "Asakusa itan")
04. "Electric Girl Versus Tank Corps" (電気娘対戦車隊 "Denki musume tai sensha tai")
05. "From Beyond the Screen" (銀幕の彼方より "Ginmaku no kanata yori")
06. "In the Corner of the Triangular Second Floor" (三角二階の片隅にて "Sankaku nikai no katasumi nite")
07. "The Black Cat of the Twelve-Floor Pagoda" (十二階天塔の黒猫 "Jūnikai tentō no kuro neko")
08. "Devil" (魔王 "Maō")
09. "Sky" (空 "Sora")
10. "Parting" (離別 "Ribetsu")
11. "The Nightmare Which Does Not Continue" (続かぬ悪夢 "Tsuduka nu akumu")
12. "Meeting" (邂逅 "Kaikō"'

Did anyone ever translate or summarize the serialization?

There hasn't been a peep in almost a year. With Nakamura's passing I simply think this has been shelved. I still don't understand how ABe has money to live, but I digress.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There hasn't been a peep in almost a year. With Nakamura's passing I simply think this has been shelved. I still don't understand how ABe has money to live, but I digress.

Clearly hes going to be raking in those royalty checks for his work on All You Need is Kill thanks to it being a major blockbuster hollywood movie now.

/s

Seriously wonder what hes up to these days.

androvsky

Fellow ABe fans, allow me to share an extremely pleasant surprise I had recently. I've been wanting the Scrap NiEA_7 artbook for quite some time and I recently decided to get it on eBay. I searched for a used copy in good condition and bought it. Imagine my surprise when I started flipping the book and noticed Abe's signature on it.

"No way this is a real signature, it's printed on", I thought, but it really looked like it was really written with a marker. I searched online for prints of the book and, lo and behold, that page has no signature printed on it. "No way!" I then searched online for his autograph to compare and came across lots of autographs...in Kanji. "There you go, it's not his" ...I continued searching and then came across some autographs like the one on the pic above...so he apparently signs both ways.

The eBay seller certainly wasn't aware of it, otherwise he would make it known and price it accordingly. So there you go, I'm finally starting to convince myself I got a signed Abe book completely by accident...

...unless someone here comes forward and tells me there were two editions of the book, and one came with a printed signature. ;P

I'm assuming an American seller? It's not impossible at all, ABe has been at AnimeFest in Dallas at least twice, and has had autograph sessions at each. I'm not saying signed stuff is common by any means, but it's entirely plausible. That it's not in kanji is interesting, he signed my Haibane Renmei DVD using kanji so it's not just a thing he does in the U.S.

cj_iwakura

Clearly hes going to be raking in those royalty checks for his work on All You Need is Kill thanks to it being a major blockbuster hollywood movie now.

/s

He does doujins, and... uh.... maybe 5PB can have him do more VNs?

Dimefan3

Subbed. Haibane Renmei is still one of my favourite Anime series of all time.

Still need to pick up Lain again, I had it a while back, can't remember what I did with it...

/s

He does doujins, and... uh.... maybe 5PB can have him do more VNs?
I like to imagine all of my favorite anime / manga auteurs live in an artists colony where they're supported by wealthy fans of their work. It's the only thing that makes sense to me; Konaka and ABe are totally roomies. Watanabe lived there for a while; everyone looked up to him for his success and let him stick around because he didn't do anything for a decade but he recently got booted due to his newfound desire to, uh, actually make some anime. Yuasa's on the edge of eviction as well but he's so weird everyone's worried what might happen if they confront him.

Thank you for reading NeoGAF's strangest post! Come on, like you have a better theory as to how one illustration a decade (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration) can sustain a life!

cj_iwakura

I like to imagine all of my favorite anime / manga auteurs live in an artists colony where they're supported by wealthy fans of their work. It's the only thing that makes sense to me; Konaka and ABe are totally roomies. Watanabe lived there for a while; everyone looked up to him for his success and let him stick around because he didn't do anything for a decade but he recently got booted due to his newfound desire to, uh, actually make some anime. Yuasa's on the edge of eviction as well but he's so weird everyone's worried what might happen if they confront him.

Thank you for reading NeoGAF's strangest post! Come on, like you have a better theory as to how one illustration a decade (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration) can sustain a life!
If you follow ABe on twitter and stuff, he's also a photographer and loves nature.

I read his blog and all that, but does he sell his photos? I always thought it was just a hobby... and a pretty expensive one at that.

PS: This thread being bumped caused me to finally buy Visual Experiments Lain and Scenario Experiments Lain.
So I ordered those books right before I made that post on the 28th and they're already here (NYC)... From Amazon JP. Shipping was only $13! Forget Amazon drones, pretty sure they're already using teleporters. These are big books, too!

cj_iwakura

Lain gifs, anyone?

tumblr_n6nneoY5eq1tzixowo1_500.gif

tumblr_n6ib1gw1G41tzixowo1_500.gif

tumblr_n5jrtmDIHo1qig535o1_500.gif

tumblr_n4bzgtgaIO1qa4u25o1_500.gif

Imagine Despera in motion with that style.

I guess it's little wonder no one has taken up Nakamura's torch.

Despera

Banned
Lain gifs, anyone?

Guess it's time for a 2nd rewatch of Lain now that I've got the Bluray set.

It's been almost a year since Nakamura's passing. Even though he didn't direct that many anime shows, he directed 2 of my all time top 10; Kino's Journey and obviously Lain. Dude's definitely missed.

cj_iwakura

Guess it's time for a 2nd rewatch of Lain now that I've got the Bluray set.

It's been almost a year since Nakamura's passing. Even though he didn't direct that many anime shows, he directed 2 of my all time top 10; Kino's Journey and obviously Lain. Dude's definitely missed.

I'll need to see Kino's Journey then.

Thought this was bumped to post this
http://fauux.neocities.org/

http://fauux.neocities.org/Love.html

Click the Lains

I believe it's been shared earlier in the thread. Creepy stuff.

Clov

Lain gifs, anyone?

tumblr_n6nneoY5eq1tzixowo1_500.gif

tumblr_n6ib1gw1G41tzixowo1_500.gif

tumblr_n5jrtmDIHo1qig535o1_500.gif

tumblr_n4bzgtgaIO1qa4u25o1_500.gif

Such a talented director. I don't think anyone can quite match the atmosphere he gave Lain, it truly was unique.

This thread reminds me, at a con I was at recently I was able to find ADV's old Kino's Journey DVD artbox. I had forgotten how prominent the "scanlines" were on this release, but I quickly got used to it. I also found one of the Haibane Renmei volumes from Pioneer/Geneon that I was missing. Only one left to go and I'll have them all!

Top Bottom