• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

FDBK

1) Super N.E.S.
2) S.N.E.S.
3) Super Nintendo

From most I used to the least. "Snes" and "Snez" sound way too artificial, if that makes sense.

The only time you would hear/say Super Nintendo is to old people because it required the least amount of processing in their tired brains due to 'Nintendo' being in the name.

spekkeh

Banned
Only pretentious nobs said Super N.E.S. The people that said S.N.E.S. were even more insufferable.
Both were the kind that got knuckle sandwiches and got put head first into the rubbish bin. In fact that's what should still happen to them.

Almost as bad as SEGA fans.

Super Nintendo and Snes are fine.

AC!D

Such a bizarre idea for a thread. I feel like if you weren't calling if the snes (snez) then you weren't there.

People that called it the s.n.e.s were the worst.

Sness so fuck you and the horse you rode in on.
Seriously though It was either snes or super Nintendo for me. If I think back the nes was always ness or Nintendo to. Never n.e.s.

Peru

Sness all the way. Super Nintendo is too slow and formal, and I don't live in an English speaking country so ESS ENN EE ESS was out of the question.

Nakasan

Snez. Never ever heard it called anything different in real life at the time. Many years later I hear most (who are naturally a bit younger and not there are the time) call it the es en ee es or super Nintendo.

Call it snez irl to me and I'm inclined to believe you were there at the time, a blood brother or sister and that I'd take a bullet for for.

StoneFox

Such a bizarre idea for a thread. I feel like if you weren't calling if the snes (snez) then you weren't there.

People that called it the s.n.e.s were the worst.

Nintendo themselves in their own commercials only ever called it the Super NES or Super Nintendo, even in the UK where I see the most posters going "Snez is the how it was said here". I have yet to find an ad from the UK using the word "Snez".

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I thought saying Sness was a Europe thing.
They missed out Super Nes too, also common in the UK.

And it was more Snez than Sness.
Nintendo themselves in their own commercials only ever called it the Super NES or Super Nintendo, even in the UK where I see the most posters going "Snez is the how it was said here". I have yet to find an ad from the UK using the word "Snez".
Ad usage and common usage by the generation of children using the console are 2 very different things.

V_Arnold

Meh. Back in the days, we were calling it Super Nintendo, but every gaming magazine used the SNES acronym ,and so both stuck. Simple.

Chinner

Banned
Who gives a shit about how you refer to a console? Are we going to be elitist about something as trivial about this?

AC!D

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realise I had to adhere to the official naming conventions of Nintendo's advertising material when discussing the machine when I was eleven.

I was around 20 years old when the Snes was released in the UK and owned one soon after. I did and have always called it snessss over every other version. I have never referred to it as Super N.E.S. In fact my circle of friends always called the NES - Nesssss, so what else would we call the Snes? There's nothing that needs fixing OP.

Let's focus on the English speaking part of the world where the system was released under one clear distinct name, or so it would seem.

- "Super Nintendo"

Easy. It's what it says on the box. It's what everyone you knew called it. Say it in a store and they know exactly what you're talking about. This is the correct way.

- "Super N.E.S."

Look, you're not wrong but this was really only said in TV commercials. I have to imagine that in addition to saying Super N.E.S., you probably also say "Game Paks" and take the requisite 15 minute break for every 1 hour of play as instructed in the manual. Also, I'm just gonna lump in "S.N.E.S." people here as well because I don't hear it very often and compared to the final group in this list, you sound like angels.

-"Sness"

You probably guessed it before clicking on the thread but this is the real reason we're here, to deal with this problem. I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that.

What I really don't understand are the monsters who, despite being old enough to have been there at the time, continue to propagate this filth. "Sness", "Sness", "Sness". I hear your disgusting voices on podcasts and YouTube videos. I never realized how bad it got until the recent news about the mini Super Nintendo. Where before I could see "SNES" in print and think nothing of it, now I hear your nasally voices every time, "SNESSSSSSSS". I'm going nuts.

If you take anything away from this thread it's to no longer say "Sness" and now, don't even use the shorthand SNES. Just say and write "Super Nintendo".

Thank God the Nintendo 64 doesn't have a horrible sounding acronym.

I'm ABSOLUTELY with you!

Growing in Spain, my local city was a Sega territory, but EVERYONE with a 8-bit Nintendo had a NINTENDO, and NOT a NES!! And when the Super Nintendo launched, it was ALWAYS a SUPER NINTENDO, not a SNES!!!! ALWAYS!!!!!

Sorry for the capitals. It's amazing when you say that, and someone appears saying that he called it the SNES. LIE (in my territory, at least)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I heard someone say Sness I didn't even know what they mean by that... I think it was the AVGN so it should have been clear as day.
Non english speaking country here so nobody ever said Sness here.

I also never hear anyone pronouncing NES that way, "Ness" or any other console for that matter.

redcrayon

I doubt many Spectrum ads called it the 'Speccy' but we called it that anyway.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
you can tell a lot about a person by how childish title updates they make

coughlanio

I kinda say it like "Snez". Living in Japan though I've learned to adjust and say Super Famicom or Super Nintendo depending on who I'm speaking to.

Edit: Am Irish

you can tell a lot about a person by how childish title updates they make

OP right now:

giphy.webp

Top Bottom