• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Greek women selling sex for the price of a sandwich (or not, see #245)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say something along the lines of "If prostitution is legal there, then this shouldn't be exactly shady blah blah blah..." but it turns out that isn't the case:

from this article
All of the stigma and few of the benefits? This is what not doing it right looks like. I'm guessing Greece is currently in a place politically and economically that makes fixing this nearly impossible.

sad
The first post is obviously going for the thread title. Come on, people.
I find it hard to imagine a scenario where someone could be happy if a girl offers themselves for a sandwich. Something obviously went really wrong somewhere.

Austerity.

How about we blame a corrupt Greece rather than austerity.

One is a result of the other, poor people are suffering but that is nothing new because they always did.

The corruption, tax avoidance among others helped put Greece where it is, they mostly fucked themselves.

Unfortunately these women are at the sharp end of it all.

Greek-GAF, is it really that bad?

Greek here. Yes and no. The article talks about sex workers so I wouldn't characterize it as a widespread phenomenon (as in, non sex workers aren't roaming the streets offering sex for sandwiches) but the standard of living has taken a nosedive, especially in big cities where massive unemployment rates have driven a lot of people to poverty and homelessness. The situation is dire, the economy is dead and there is no end in sight to the suffering.

Everyone except a small number of wealthy elites is struggling to make ends meet and if the government goes through with its plan to allow the foreclosure of families' main residences I won't be surprised to see riots in the streets. Owning a home is condidered extremely important in Greece.

Wth, i am Greek and in my 30 years i have not seen anything of the sort. Really now...

The only explanation i can think for the article is that it is referring to roma/gipsy girls that are forced to prostitution by their parents.

Just a few weeks ago, a small child underwent surgery cause his (non working) roma/gipsy stepdad/fancy man wasn't satisfied by his begging turnover and savagely beat it up.

knkng

It's obviously an extreme outlier. You can find such cases probably in every country. I wouldn't be surprised to see reports of "parents" in other country who do the same to buy drugs, etc.

Yeah, this happens everywhere on the planet. It's not uncommon for girls to get started in prostitution between the ages of 13 and 16. They're commonly either brought into it by a parent, friend, or a "boyfriend" (pimp).

I don't believe the mother pimping her 12 year old daughter has anything to do with the thread title. That is just a horrible human being.

If an adult woman wants to sell herself, well you may not like it but it is legal in most of Europe.

SterGaf

As a Greek, I haven't noticed anything like that but I live in a small town just outside Thessaloniki . At least, locally (more like the area around Monastiriou road), prostitution seems the same as past years.

As for that mother-pimp, well, the movie
'Miss Violence'
looks a lot more realistic and relevant than ever.

Jacobi

Banned
Greek here. Yes and no. The article talks about sex workers so I wouldn't characterize it as a widespread phenomenon (as in, non sex workers aren't roaming the streets offering sex for sandwiches) but the standard of living has taken a nosedive, especially in big cities where massive unemployment rates have driven a lot of people to poverty and homelessness. The situation is dire, the economy is dead and there is no end in sight to the suffering.

Everyone except a small number of wealthy elites is struggling to make ends meet and if the government goes through with its plan to allow the foreclosure of families' main residences I won't be surprised to see riots in the streets. Owning a home is condidered extremely important in Greece.
Okay, but it says 17-20 aged girls, so these aren't really professional ol sex workers...

Please just disown the millionaires and 22 billionaires guys ;)

What? I think this is more about the economy more than anything. Women in Greece aren't willing to do this as a job. They are just desperate.

Yes, they are desperate and in their lack of options put in a vastly fragile position that could be alleviated by providing sex workers with strengths and rights to protect both the practice and the worker, optimally making sex work an actual platform for the regaining of financial independence and growth. If there are more and more women doing sex work, sex work should provide them with the benefits that any other kind of employment does.

It's not like this is a momentary lapse in the economy.

Fennec

The-plane-flying-at-sunset-airliner-photography_1920x1080.jpg

Not funny. Really.

Sounds like this is in some extreme case, not the actual average? Can't find more details from the study except this article and some linking to it. I can believe prices falling, but € 2?

Okay, but it says 17-20 aged girls, so these aren't really professional ol sex workers...

I haven't even gone near a brothel so I have no opinion on this, but the article is right in saying that most young sex workers were of east european origin. So if now they are mostly greek then the situation is worse than I thought.

Can someone explain to me how austerity is suppose to work? To this day, I'm still confused about and why anyone would adapt to this.

bes.gen

As a Greek, I haven't noticed anything like but I live in a small town just outside Thessaloniki . At least, locally (more like the area around Monastiriou road), prostitution seems the same as past years.

As for that mother-pimp, well, the movie
'Miss Violence'
looks a lot more realistic and relevant than ever.

hey i saw that here in istanbul festival. pretty dark and powerful film.
the director was present as well.
remember him telling it is based on a real news-story from germany, which makes all harder to stomach.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
When I worked at a sandwich shop in Tallahassee when I was at school, right by campus, there were a few local prostitutes that would take a sandwich for payment.

Pretty sad. They were always very drugged out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom