• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite arcade gaming memories

BiggNife

Going into an arcade and seeing this for the first time:

3094.jpg

My jaw dropped.

Agree with everyone saying "seeing X-Men vs. Street Fighter for the first time." That's what really got me hooked on fighting games.

But in terms of best arcade memories it really only boils down to one for me:

I was probably 6 or 7 and just tall enough to see over the cab of the X-Men 6 person arcade game. I had been playing it solo for about 5 minutes or so when this really tall guy got on one of the sticks with me. For whatever reason I never bothered to look up at his face. We played for awhile until I ran out of tokens. He gave me a few then proceeded to give me a token every time I died (which was a lot). We ended up beating the entire game that day. Still never saw the guys face.

Memories like these that make me miss the arcade years.

larvi

My favorite memory was as a teenager before I got my driver's license I used to ride my bike to play pinball at a seedy pool hall in a nearby town (this was the 70's so there were no arcades in malls, you pretty much had to go to a bar or pool hall to play pinball back then) Of course my parents didn't know and wouldn't have approved if they saw the place, but they just figured I was going over to a friends house or something.

One weekend when my folks were out of town there was a pinball tournament at this place. So even though it was winter and there was ice all over the place I rode my bike there just so I could enter. First prize was a pinball machine, 2nd prize was a TV set, 3rd prize was car speakers. I was about 15 at the time and pretty much everyone else there was close to or over 20 but I entered and ended up doing pretty good and placed 2nd overall and won the TV set. But since I rode my bike there I had no way to get it home, so I had to have them keep it there then wait for my parents to get home then try to explain what I had been up to all weekend and how I needed them to take me there to pick up the TV. They took me over and my mom was a bit horrified when she saw the place, but my dad seemed to be a better sport about it and looked like he was proud of me but wouldn't dare say it out loud. lol.

Anyway I got my TV set (12in b/w), I really wanted the pinball machine but I have no idea how I would have gotten that home. At least I didn't win the speakers which wouldn't have looked too good on my 10 speed and I didn't get grounded so it was pretty good weekend.

lifa-cobex

ScOULaris said:
Beautifully worded. Damnit, now I'm sinking back into an arcade-deprived depression. Why won't they ever come back? WHY!??!!?

There are still places about. I recommend looking in small holiday resort towns.

olimpia84

I spent so much money on Street Fighter II it's not even funny,
Other favorites included Cadillac & Dinosaurs, Final Fight and a boxing game that I don't remember the name.

Zeal

Banned
I really miss these days. The sounds, the smells, the atmosphere and lights. Full sensory experience.

Playing Ki, Soul Calibur and Neo Geo cabinets.

KevinCow

Banned
This motherfucker:

c1o8O.jpg

Played through the whole thing with a friend. We died countless times and probably spent like $20 on it, but it was fantastic. Screaming at each other, "OH GOD IT HAS ME IN ITS MOUTH, SHOOT IT SHOOT IT MAKE IT DROP ME!!!"

Probably my least favorite arcade memory was when I went to try some Tekken game for the first time. I'm playing against the computer, kinda figuring out the controls and some special moves, beat the first two guys. Then some dude walks up, clearly good at the game since he brought his own fucking stick, plugs into my machine instead of either of the two next to us despite the fact that I am clearly just learning how to play, and proceeds to absolutely destroy me.

Like, really? Do you feel like you've accomplished something by beating an absolute scrub and making me feel like I've wasted my damn dollar?

kikori

Neo Member
We used to hang out and play Xenophobe non-stop, pumping endless quarters into that machine. I remember it being a big deal when someone put $5 into the coin machine for change. We'd get tired of that and go play Smash TV or Rampage for a while, maybe some Afterburner. But the thing that sticks out most is seeing the Virtua Fighter cabinet for the very first time. I thought that thing time-traveled from the future.

Micius

Sunflower said:
T2 the Arcade Game as a 12 year old was pretty much futuresex for me. I loved it, never got to play enough. Amazing game for a 12 year old who loved the future scene in the beginning of T2.

The one with the two mounted guns? Didn't get to play it a lot but it impressed the hell out of me back in the day. I think I was 11 or 12 too when I first played it. Loved it even though my aim was awful.

Ronabo

I could write a book about my arcade experiences and memories.

Just one off the top of my head would be helping the arcade manager install a Gauntlet II conversion kit into a Gauntlet I cab, and being the first to play it once we were done.

LQX

1- Me and my friends in middle school would go to a arcade in Brooklyn called FairyLand everyday after school to play Samurai Showdown 2 and King of Fighters 94. Most of times we just watched our friend Kurt play as the kid was like Mozart when it came to kicking ass and ending fights with a super.

2- Have fond memories of cutting classes for the whole day in high school with a friend to travel by bus for about 2 hours just to play Street Fighter 3 which just came out and was only at one arcade that was crazy far from where we lived.

3- Loved going to a pool hall around my way to watch college kids at the time from Brooklyn College play Mortal Kombat 3. It was like major event with these dudes who brought printed out instructions and played more for fun to see all the moves than competition.

ScOULaris

If you didn't grow up during the 80's/90's in the United States, you probably have no idea how prevalent arcade games were. When I was a kid, you could find at least one arcade cabinet at any of the following locations: gas stations, movie theaters, sports bars and some restaurants, shopping malls, theme/water parks... etc.

Sure, you could argue that with portable systems and smartphone games you have gaming on-the-go these days as well, but coming across some awesome fighting game when you thought you were just grabbing a bite to eat at a new pizza place was something special. I first played Samurai Shodown in some small comic book store next to a sports bar.

It all comes back to that missing sense of discovery with today's easily accessible abundance of information. I'm not saying that the Internet and other information technology hasn't greatly enhanced our lives in different ways, but with every advancement you lose something that can't be regained.

Zeal

Banned
Micius said:
The one with the two mounted guns? Didn't get to play it a lot but it impressed the hell out of me back in the day. I think I was 11 or 12 too when I first played it. Loved it even though my aim was awful.
I must have spent close to 50 bucks with my little brother trying to beat T2 in the arcades. I remember he had to stand on one of those little booster seats just to see over the massive gun lol. Finally owned Skynet and then ate some pizza. Good times.

oracrest

The earliest game I can remember playing at an arcade.

rastan.png

edit: also these two. I've always been a sucker for the fantasy stuff.

goldenaxe.png

alteredbeast1.png

My most memorable is easily when I lived in a Chicago suburb. We had 2 malls with awesome arcades right near me.

One of them had a LOT of older shmups like Gradius and Life Force and the first 2 R-Type games. Played a lot of World Heroes series games at this one as well as Super Punch-Out and Martial Champion. This was the first arcade where I saw Virtua Fighter when it came out.

The other arcade had a lot of fighting games (almost entirely, in fact). they had a couple of MK1 machines, a Samurai Showdown connected to a big screen (which was novel at the time) and a bunch of weird stuff like Knuckle Heads and Fighter's History. The two notable things about this one were that it was the only place I ever played on a Super Street Fighter II Tournament Battle setup with 4 machines and that MKII was testing there for a while. Tobias and Boon (and likely some of the other devs, I would imagine) were there one night and had the arcade op set the game to free play (instead of the stupid 75c it was previously set to) so everyone could try it out and help give feedback. Boon was definitely focused on talking to people for impressions and talked a lot about how much crap they were going to hide in it while Tobias seemed to care more about how much people broke in it (soooo many moves could be done in mid-air at the time).

DonMigs85

As a kid one thing that stood out was this really violent, bloody lightgun game with werewolves and shit. Can anybody recall what that might have been?
EDIT: I believe it was Beast Busters.

Four player GI Joe

GOT TO GET TOUGH
YO JOE
GOT TO GET TOUGH
YO JOE

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The Arcade Game at the food court in the mall. There was always a crowd there.

Street Fighter 2 in an arcade at a campsite I went to. Well, it was more like a shack with a few games and a pool table... this was during the height of StreetFighterMania and every kid at that campsite (and sometimes some weird men) was always crammed in there trying to get a turn. It was a like a seedy fight club. That's the kind of experience online can never duplicate, I feel sorry for today's kids that will never have that.

And for some reason I always liked finding random cabinets all by their lonesome in restaurants and stores. I remember practically every instance. The only Caliber .50 I ever played was at some roadside diner in the middle of nowhere, I looked forward to playing it every summer for a few, until one year the diner closed. I always wondered what happened to that Caliber .50 and wished I could have got it from them. And I liked playing POW- Prisoner of War in the corner store by my house.

zmet

Sitting in the deluxe Galaxy Force II cabinet and being thrown around. Also listening to all the awesome arcade Sega FM sythn tunes.
1095930-galaxy_force_2_cabinet_super.jpg

Micius

Zeal said:
I must have spent close to 50 bucks with my little brother trying to beat T2 in the arcades. I remember he had to stand on one of those little booster seats just to see over the massive gun lol. Finally owned Skynet and then ate some pizza. Good times.

Nice. I actually did convert the equivalent of 15 bucks into coins in one evening playing a T2 cabinet at a bowling hall together with a friend. Each credit cost the equivalent of 60-70 cents where we were playing so it was a bit pricier than the quarter in the U.S. :p Don't remember how far we got, like I said though, I was awful at the game :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
The Raiden cab in my student union had a broken joystick that wouldn't register down-right (and ultimately, right at all.) Over a three-year period it was never repaired, so the show of skill among regulars became how far you could get in the game with this horizontal deadzone. It was beautiful to behold in its mix of masochism and actual white-knuckle skill.

Also, the only bone I have ever broken in my body was my middle(!) toe, kicking an Arkanoid cabinet in 1986. What a dick.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've been trying to think of this... and all day have been thinking "I went to tons of arcades, but nothing really sticks out.. I've always been a console gamer instead (back to 2600)". But I guess the two I have are:

Dragon's Lair - man.. it was $1 per play (back in 1983!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the laser disc player in the machine was always overheated and skipping chapters or freezing up... but god damn... it was so insanely better looking than every single other cabinet in the place.... one of the only cabinets that the arcade stuck a monitor on top of the cabinet just so people could see as the unit was always packed.

star wars - what else need be said. with samples from the movie this game was like being in Star Wars. Not a single kid from the early 80s didn't think this game was amazing.

various - there was a bowling alley that was about 4 blocks from our house. Machines were...... Rastan, 720, Super Hang On, and Gondomania (yes, I had to look that last one up). Spent a TON of money over a couple of summers there on Rastan and Gondomania. actually really good memories.

Eric Hall

Best arcade moment for me was definitely playing Time Crisis 2 with a friend of mine. Finally beating it after what felt like hundreds of dollars lost was the greatest feeling for a 10 year old me. The 90's were such a wonderful time for arcades. I miss it

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Walking out of the food court of one of my local malls and seeing this, front and center at the arcade's entrance...

Wm1bx.jpg

I was a huge fan of SoulCalibur, and SC2 was probably one of my most anticipated games of all time. I had been reading up on any info available (at GuardImpact and the old SC.com) but had no idea that this spot had gotten a machine already... such an awesome surprise. And then I sunk a ton of time into the game in the following months.

One unique aspect of SC2 arcade was Conquest mode, where you could join 1 of 4 armies and try to acquire more territory through fights. I spent a fair share of time with the mode when there was no one else at the cabinet, since it was more interesting than just going through arcade mode. Your opponents were actually AI based on other players, and it was fun getting to fight your own AI and seeing it pull out sequences or combos you're fond of.

Always a kick meeting players whose names you recognized from the top of the Conquest mode army rosters... especially since the regulars would often have their names listed in multiple machines in different arcades around the area.

It's such a shame that none of the networking features of current fighting games have been supported outside of east Asia...

Tain

Best times were probably local Soul Calibur 2 tournaments or getting wrecked in Third Strike visiting Toronto.

I always loved the genres that took off and really lasted in the United States (music games and fighting games), but around 2006 I started trying to single credit clear Japanese arcade games. At that point, it quickly became crystal clear to me that a lot of the games and genres I considered to be archaic, cute, unfair, and shallow novelties were actually among the absolute best that video games can offer. At least, when you actually try to clear them.

As it stands right now, I don't care about the industry all that much outside of the occasional arcade release or port. I'm almost on standby when it comes to new releases. Very few developers can match the released arcade games that I'm playing or meaning to play.

Sadly, a lot of forumites still see a lot of arcade games as novelties, even if they would never in a million years admit it.

crpav

Anth0ny said:
ms-pac-man-galaga-combo.jpg

This fucking thing was at the pizza place near my house. Soooo good.

Funny story....sort of. My wife had her thyroid removed 3 weeks ago and had to stay in the hospital for 4 nights. Due to the hospital having a lot of surgeries my wife was put in the childrens wing as there was no other rooms left. They have a toy and game room for the kids. One day we walked around and I saw that MS Pacman arcade game in there. Must have been donated. I played it...so awesome.

Tmnt arcade, mortal kombat, and the simpsons all provided lots of memories, but the strongest memory is absolutely tied to the first time I ever saw/played Virtua Fighter. I remember being absolutely blown away by the graphics. I saw the future that day.

crpav

Way back when I first recall going to the arcade:

H6Djn.jpg

This was a big hit as well:

CzqPf.jpg

This game, as wel as T.E., got a lot of my quarters:

4NqAv.jpg

This was a favorite of a friend and mine:

CBVzz.jpg

Already pictured was of course Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Golden Axe.

I could go on and on with others I remember.

Used to frequent the arcade of the local mall when I was in high school with all my friends. There was a small, slightly raised section of this arcade near the back, which contained Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs SF, and X-Men vs SF all right next to each other. That little area was filled every Saturday, with everybody making the rounds from machine to machine. It was loud as hell, and tons of fun.

And then of course MvC2 came out, and our arcade got the cool deluxe cabinet with the big screen. Crowds of 30 plus people were crowded around that thing regularly, which was really awesome to see. It was great.

Also, Gauntlet Legends really drew in the crowds when it was first came there. I fucking LOVED that game. When I had 3 other friends play a session with me, each playing a different class, I never wanted it to end. So much fun.

I still have a good arcade near me. It's actually pretty great. $15 for the day and you can play as much as you want. It also has tons of fighters, but the SNK games are less popular. Which is great for me as it means I can just sit there and play them.

But my favorite arcade memory is a friend and I going there and we had heard about how awesome Mark of the Wolves was, but never actually played it. It was there and we spent what has to be 4 hours straight just playing that amazing game.

Learning and performing the Raging Demon in X-men vs StreetFighter. The game instantly felt new.

SF3, Tekken 3 and X-men Vs SF were new to the arcade I visited, oh happy days.

Hobbun

Rahxephon91 said:
I still have a good arcade near me. It's actually pretty great. $15 for the day and you can play as much as you want. It also has tons of fighters, but the SNK games are less popular. Which is great for me as it means I can just sit there and play them.

Are you talking about the Galloping Ghosts arcade? Filled with the old classics, but like you said $15 a day. I heard about that place and it sounds awesome. It’s only about 30 minutes from my house.

Zebra

1. The Simpsons Arcade - My favorite laser tag place had this machine. I always went there for my birthdays.

2. Ms. Pac-Man - Every Sunday after church my family would go to the same restaurant with the same people. They had this machine tucked away in a corner by the bar.

3. Dance Dance Revolution - I was never really good at it, but my friends in high school were. Yes, they were probably the group of kids you hated for hovering around the DDR machine for an hour, but it was damn fun at the time. We met a lot of interesting people that way.

This thread makes me feel my youth. I don't recognize half of these cabinets.

I love the fact I can bring this subject every time with my friends, and even though we generally mention the same things, the conversation never gets old.

Recently visited Pinballz Arcade up in austin... great stuff... planning on going back on my Bachelor Day.. after that getting stripper titties in my face *lol*

Flynn

Grand Prix Race-O-Rama in South Florida. The original location was a huge castle with three wings and aisle after aisle of cabinets. I could easily spend the day wandering back and forth, looking for cool games I'd never heard of.

N4Us

I remember when Cruisin' USA premiered at our local pizza place. There was literally a line of like 30+ people wanting to jump in on that.

I was taken to some crappy minor league baseball game in Texas once but to my surprise there was an Aero Fighters 2 cab there. Me and some other kid beat the game in one sitting with a crowd watching over us.

My last school had an Ultracade machine (that one with all the MAME games poured in) that had SF2: CE on it. I think our class took over that cab so much that they put it in storage until we graduated, they silently put it back in the cafeteria.

Also when our movie theatre arcade got MvC2. Holy shit. Then two weeks later they replaced it with Tekken. Fuck Tekken.

Muffdraul

In the mid 70s I often went to the local Sega Time Out arcade in the Anaheim Plaza. The games I remember from back then were Pong, Tank, Boothill, Desert Patrol, Blasto, Space Wars... One day something odd was going on. A little crowd of people was gathered around a machine to watch someone play. This was really weird. Usually you would only see one person at a machine, two if they were playing doubles. Maybe another friend or two standing by. But 8-10 people all crowding around so they could see, I'd never seen anything like that before. I was a little 9 year old kid, so I was able to squeeze through and get a look at the game. That was the first time I saw Space Invaders. And the arcade was always about three times as crowded from then on.

There was an arcade in my hometown way back when. A small Mom & Pop type thing, one Friday evening there was a Mortal Kombat tournament/lock-in. It was awesome. I did terrible but I was looking forward to it for weeks. Those were the days...

Tekken 3. Buddy of mine tips me off that his cousin in Gastonia NC had the machine out early, and to get up there to see it. Find my way to the arcade, (one of those generic Namco places, hence the early release), and there it is, in all it's built-in stools/up next slots/~56 inch screen brand-spanking new Goodness™. Proceded to drop former main Jack-2 (I would know later Gun-Jack was weak kung fu, but he wasn't even unlocked then) and pick up Lei. GLORIOUS stance-dancing action! Fear the rush punches! I hold my own well enough.

$25 later, the arcade "closes" but the cousin and his buddies keep the machine on and just turn the credits to free play, and begin experimenting on grapples, back/side throws, juggles, and other such funny stuff. Discovering db~LP+RP of King's eliciting a loud collective *GROAN* from every male in the audience. lol.

Good times, man. Good times.

KevinCow said:
This motherfucker:

c1o8O.jpg

Played through the whole thing with a friend. We died countless times and probably spent like $20 on it, but it was fantastic. Screaming at each other, "OH GOD IT HAS ME IN ITS MOUTH, SHOOT IT SHOOT IT MAKE IT DROP ME!!!"

Probably my least favorite arcade memory was when I went to try some Tekken game for the first time. I'm playing against the computer, kinda figuring out the controls and some special moves, beat the first two guys. Then some dude walks up, clearly good at the game since he brought his own fucking stick, plugs into my machine instead of either of the two next to us despite the fact that I am clearly just learning how to play, and proceeds to absolutely destroy me.

Like, really? Do you feel like you've accomplished something by beating an absolute scrub and making me feel like I've wasted my damn dollar?

Winner Stays, Loser Pays, son! It is the first rule of the Fighter! You should know this by now.

Tr4nce

Asterix.jpg

Asterix. The only Asterix & Obelix game I ever liked. It was a very hard 2d sidescroller beat 'm up. And I'm not even an Asterix and Obelix fan!

Top Bottom