• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite puzzle game?

Nymphae

Banned
I have been playing a lot of Gameboy Tetris lately, and I've been interested in finding some more obscure puzzlers. I would have to say Tetris is my favourite without a doubt, TGM3 or Tetris Effect being my favourite versions. Here are a couple of other favourites of mine

220px-PlanetPuzzleLeague.jpg
images

Planet Puzzle League

Made by Intelligent Systems, the people behind the original Panel De Pon/Tetris Attack, this is one of my all time favourites. Super tight and satisfying puzzling mechanics, an awesome soundtrack, stylus controls if you like that, and tons of modes including a daily play mode which tracks your progress with charts. Really excellent package.

220px-Meteos.jpg
6sC7MCX.png

Meteos

A puzzle game designed by the infamous Masahiro Sakurai of Super Smash Bros fame. I haven't played this in years but I was doing some puzzler reading and as soon as I saw this one I was like OH MY GOD METEOS!

I remember the music being really awesome and Smash Brothersy, and the gameplay being very addictive. IIRC it plays similarly to PPL, you slide bricks around with the stylus trying to make matching block combos which sends stacks rocketing to the top screen for removal.

Nintendo_64_Tetrisphere_cover_art.png
220px-N64_Tetrisphere.PNG

Tetrisphere

Not the greatest Tetris game by a longshot, but excellent music and points for creativity. It's very memorable.

220px-Scribblenauts_cover.jpg
FsGNBOnvJq4pPFQ7mnNVc-MrAEtwLYLFX0g9nh9sWE4.jpg

Scribblenauts

One of my favourites just for the balls to attempt this idea and the fairly awesome execution (and for including the Gaf logo are you kidding me)

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

latest
770620-937251_200612011_003.jpg

It's just Puyo Puyo, and I really suck at this game, but I played a shitload of this when I was younger and it has a soft spot in my heart. I really need to learn it better so I can do more with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Into the Breach is a modern favourite that's endlessly replayable. There's a common misconception that it's a full on strategy game, when it's actually more like little micro chess puzzles. It's about making the most of what you can each turn and mitigating losses as best as possible.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dang, so many great picks in the OP already. Puyo Puyo Tetris is a no-brainer. Exceptional game that can be played endlessly. Meteos is also a treasured fav of mine. If you like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine consider Kirby's Avalanche on the SNES if you like those Puyo re-themes.

Anyway, my fav.... I have so many favorites in the puzzle genre, but it is certainly Magical Drop III

The speed is what sells it.

stranno

TYp8L1T.jpg

Crush was great. It was probably the first 2D-3D perspective puzzle of all time, before Japan Studios' Echochrome. It came out one month after Super Paper Mario (with the same mechanic) but its definitely not a puzzle game.

Orta

Banned
This absolute beauty. Still have my copy.

And the early mobile version of Tetris Blitz was fantastic before EA completely changed the mechanics and packed it full of pay to win loot boxes...

I wish they had released a full fat version on home consoles/pc. It was better than most of the Tetris variations we've had through the years.

Birdo

Banned
The Master System version of Columns.

Fun fact: I once beat the world record score but didn't take any shots for proof :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yeah, Puzzle League/Panel De Pon is high up my list. Tetris on Game Boy is my all-time favorite though.

I also like Namco's Pac-Attack and Aqua Rush, and of course SEGA's Columns and Puyo Puyo.

Last edited:

DogofWar

I am replaying The Talos Principle right now and it is probably one of my top 5 games of all time. And that says a lot for me.

It has one of the best soundtracks I know as well.

Not just is the puzzles extremely fun and interesting. It has a very philosophical depth to it. It has made me ponder what defines humanity and the very essence of life itself.

Highly recommended, don't want to spoil anything more!

CitizenZ

Banned
TYp8L1T.jpg

Crush was great. It was probably the first 2D-3D perspective puzzle of all time, before Japan Studios' Echochrome. It came out one month after Super Paper Mario (with the same mechanic) but its definitely not a puzzle game.

Great game and very unique at the time. It's a crime why it has not been ported everywhere,.

CitizenZ

Banned
Could never pick one as its probably my favorite genre, but The Witness is one of the few games I would every say deserves a perfect score.

Top Bottom