• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your "Gaming Regrets" ...

MacReady13

Extreme financial hardships about 8 years ago meant I had to sell my Gamecube, PSP, GBA, NES, Xbox 360 and PS3 with substantial number of immaculately kept games for each console to keep afloat. I don't regret doing it for the reasons I needed at the time, but I forever regret losing all of that amazing collection...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Disappointed when I bought a Wii U like some of you.

I thought it might be a hot seller so I tried hawking a launch system on Kijiji and Craigslist and got nowhere. Refunded it in January and got my money back.

I couldn't even dump it for a $20 profit at Christmas.

Last edited:
A few.

Some have mentioned playing WoW above. Mine is hyping it over the past few years, but also knowing what a shit company Blizzard is. Was willing though to support them in that venture. Then come their ultimate knee bending to China, so now I've lost my 6month game-time, and look bloody silly considering we all know really how awful Blizz was before this latest event.​
I spent too many nights about a decade ago playing games instead of building relationships. All good now, but should've been more fruitful back then.​

Last edited:

adamosmaki

probably playing a lot as in thousands of hours of Civilization 5 and 6 and neglecting some other great games such as yakuza 0, dragons dogma and the darkness 2 . I mean they are good games but god damn i have like 4000 hours on both games

i missed natural selection 2's prime due to significant injuries, and it's regrettable because i loved the developers and the community

feel like if i'd been there, things would be different (hard to say, only one man)
I remember reading the 4chan generals on it back in the day, it seemed fire.

Buying into the hype of Luigi's Mansion 2 on GAF in like 2013. Mission based content? Nah I ain't with all that. Never been so disappointed but I am willing to go back to it soon.

iconmaster

Banned
In my teens the local mall arcade had a Sega R360. I noticed it, but never tried it. Too weird? Too expensive? Dunno. Wish I had.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
1) Throwing away my entire collection of videogame fanzines, including the master pages for all my zine issues. I chucked everything out in my early 20s in a fit of guilt for still playing videogames past childhood, which in those days (early to mid 1990s) was a social death sentence. I should have boxed everything up and stored them away for safe keeping. Also, I was honestly trying to reinvent myself and try to own as few physical possessions as possible. Getting rid of the kiddie toys was an easy target.

2) Back in 1984, retail stores were dumping massive quantities of Atari 2600 videogames for $5 or less. You’d find long tables at Target & Kay-Bee with stacks of boxes. Most of those games were just terrible. I wasted too much money on lousy games like Journey Escape, Porky’s and Sneak ‘N Peek. Mind you, we’re talking pocket change, but when you’re a kid, that’s money that could have been wisely spent on candy bars, comics and paperback books. I still feel burned.

3) I honestly don’t remember what happened to the Atari 800XL that my brother and I owned. I think we threw it away, but it might have just languished in storage for years before disappearing. I’d really love to have that little computer back.

Greedings

I had a GameCube and never bought Metroid prime. Didn’t play it until WiiU. One of the greatest games I’ve ever played.

I bought that stupid 3DS extra thumb stick for monster hunter. What a waste of money. I couldn’t even sell it for £5 on eBay.

I ditched PC gaming. I wanted a change with PS4, and now I’m invested.

raduque

Canceled my Resident Evil 7 Collectors Edition because I was short on cash. Really wishing I had just kept the pre-order, cause I really wanted that mansion.

Shrap

I got super pumped for Final Fantasy XIII. Regretted that pretty quickly. The sheer gravity of its crappiness inverted my initial smile into a look of pure disgust.

s34ab

Banned
Wasting hundreds of dollars buying ever new MMO that came out (for a several year period) only to drop most of them after a week (if even that.)

Not keep my old systems and games ( I am 39 ) And now I am trying to re-buy old stuff again.

Could be worse, I was browsing Facebook marketplace and there was a listing for a bunch of classic 90s JRPGS. Star Ocean the 2nd Story, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Destiny, I'm talking just about every classic Japanese game you can think of for the past 30 years.

It turns out that the sellers were selling their mothers collection who had a massive stroke and couldn't play games anymore. :messenger_pensive::messenger_pensive::messenger_pensive:

Apparently she was even listed as having one of the largest game collections in the state of Texas or something.

I spent way too much time trying to beat games I was not enjoying. But now i have no problem dropping a game like a hot potato.

Despite having the disposable income I still have not ventured into the world of pc gaming.

Looking at guides for games like sotc, zelda etc.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda on topic, I used to travel to Japan a lot and would see so many cheap Saturn games. 10-15 years later wished I picked the, up because they cost and arm and a leg now. Also on the topic of Sega Saturn, trading in all my games for almost nothing to gamestop when they worth so much now. Panzer Dragon Saga amongst them.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm 33 and didn't play Nintendo games in my childhood. I played my first Nintendo games as a teenager and at that age was more interested in 'mature' games. It's only now in my 30s that I've really started playing Nintendo developed games.

I was so obsessed with Gears of War that I turned down a great work opportunity because I would have to travel a lot and live out of hotels for the first couple years of the job. Gears 2 was releasing in a few months and I didn't want to miss out on online Gears 2 MP so I turned the job opportunity down. Gears 2 MP ended up being complete shit and I dont even really like the franchise anymore.

I never took the time to learn a fighting game properly. I dabbled in Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter but never took the time to learn any of them really well and now I feel like it's too late (or I don't have the time and patience anymore to try).

Banned
going full nintendo, I missed so many phenomenal titles, will go PC + Switch next gen (will consider ps5 too but cinematic games just not my type)

VertigoOA

Banned
going full nintendo, I missed so many phenomenal titles, will go PC + Switch next gen (will consider ps5 too but cinematic games just not my type)

Oh man.

I was like this until I got the original Xbox and Halo. Then PGR, JsRf, and Kotor.

Being a Nintendo only sperg really sucked.... that’s why when I would write drivel like no developer is as good as Nintendo... I laugh and laugh when I see that now ... because you know damn well that 14 year old hasn’t owned an actual game console with more than two games worth playing a generation.

Last edited:

Banned
Oh man.

I was like this until I got the original Xbox and Halo. Then PGR, JsRf, and Kotor.

Being a Nintendo only sperg really sucked.... that’s why when I would write drivel like no developer is as good as Nintendo... I laugh and laugh when I see that now ... because you know damn well that 14 year old hasn’t owned an actual game console with more than two games worth playing a generation.

After I have my PC I started to emulate some of their titles and it's kinda like magic (turning those blurry 3ds pixel to crisp full hd++ on pc)
It's not that I don't love nintendo's games, in fact I really liked zelda, xenoblade and mario titles, but yeah... there's so many developer out of their platform that as good (or more capable) than nintendo

Nickolaidas

Buying a PSVR and using it for less than 3 hours.

Buying hundreds of games (both physical and digital) that I ended up not BOOTING UP EVEN ONCE.

Playing budget games when I had AAA titles which I never really played.

Buying all the DLC for Dungeons & Dragons Online (300$ back then) only to learn that the servers would go down forever the very next week (never played an online-only game ever again).

Wasting a small fortune on all that when I could have used that money to move out of my foster home and rent as well as furnish an apartment.

Last edited:

chill06

Neo Member
when i was 7 i bought a at games Sega genesis flashback it sucked it used av output so the video quality looked like shit and the audio was even worse so when is was playing sonic the hedgehog it sounded like a gorilla taking a shit to the beat of the soundtrack to show you a comparison heres a you tube link:
last but but not least the controllers that came with it used inferred which mean you had to point it DIRECTLY TO THE CONSOLE

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
- wait a low price of Godzilla ps4 game =(.

I have bought most of my video games (95% of all my games) used. My regrets will always have been buying 'in season' new games. I recall two cases in which I did that back in 2008 and still regret it. I bought 'Tales of Genji: Days of the Blade' at Circuit City for $70 + tax and recall seeing it for $4.99 at my used games store in 2012. I paid $75 + tax for Valkeria Chronicles on PS3 the same year in December...and recall the cut-scenes and first 15-minutes looking okay. Then when the actual RPG format for war strategies popped-up...I ended up selling the game for 1/4 of what I paid for it.

TacosNSalsa

Buying an Xbox one X . I must've put 150 hrs in it total game time in the 2 years I owned one 90% of that in Diablo 3 which I also own for PC .
Not keeping my copy of Suikoden II
Waiting so long to get into PC gaming (in for 4yrs now)

ACESHIGH

Banned
1 - Playing thousands of hours of the Master League mode in Winning Eleven 4/2000 back in the PS1 days to build all the clubs, player by player.

2 - Not even playing games on an old PC I had back in 2005. It wasn't top of the line but it could run PS2 era games and the holy trinity of 2004 FPS just fine. PC gaming was too complex back then and I had to focus in college.

3 - Not going with an Intel processor on my 2013 PC. The FX 6300 it's not good when it comes to emulation. A core i5 would have fared so much better.

I regret spoiling a tiny bit of Persona 3’s final battle to a friend. I thought he had already finished and felt bad after finding out it wasn’t the case.

More recently, I kinda regret not optimizing my schedule in Persona 5 to Max out more Confidants. Since there are so many games I plan to play and P5 is such a long game, it’s unlikely I’ll ever replay it.

TheMan

GBA: Not a bad system but I hardly played it. By the time I bought it I was too embarrassed to be caught playing gamesin public, and at home I'd rather be on a console. Ironically most of the GBA games I played were via emulation years later

Sega Activator- 90s kids will remember this as a piece of shit. I really liked a movie called Best of the Best part 2 so I kind of imagined that playing fighting games with this would be somehow akin to that. NO.

Automobili Lamborghini- Gamefan gave this a favorable preview (yes preview, not review) before Christmas and I really wanted a racing game for the n64. Game felt slow even when the spedo read 100 mph or something. Lame. Learned to never ever trust previews like that again.

Steel Battalion- Actually not a bad game, but I got pretty sick the Christmas I received this, to the point that I could hardly play it. I would come to associate the game with my illness and never played it very much. I still have it in my basement but the odds I'll ever give this game its fair shake are low. Shame, it was expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom