• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your milkshake duck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan in general

I'm super annoyed by all the anti-gay sentiment that propagates through their media. It's one thing to have those shitty beliefs personally, but sticking those hateful thoughts into your games, movies, books, etc. and having the public be okay with it just fucking sucks.

It's the fact that they have to 'let you know' that they hate gays. They can't just keep it to themselves, they have to either throw in some lame joke or have someone call out the lifestyle of being gay "weird" or "abnormal".

It's just super lame altogether.

Japan in general

I'm super annoyed by all the anti-gay sentiment that propagates through their media. It's one thing to have those shitty beliefs personally, but sticking those hateful thoughts into your games, movies, books, etc. and having the public be okay with it just fucking sucks.

It's the fact that they have to 'let you know' that they hate gays. They can't just keep it to themselves, they have to either throw in some lame joke or have someone call out the lifestyle of being gay "weird" or "abnormal".

Sounds like my country, for most of my life. Progress is often slow.

Now and then I want to post that stopit.gif and then I remember that he is straight up KKK racist, like, not even a little bit racist or just a bit problematic, but full on white nationalist racist.

Yeah. Like it's not even diet racist but full on "We need to stop foreigners from diluting the gene pool" insanity.

Stoop Man

Japan in general

Yeah Japan is like where the US was in the 80's or 90's when it comes to gay people.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I learnt through Talking Simpsons that James Brown was kind of a nut. He would fine his backing vocalists for being off key during rehearsal, and then there's this, from when he was out on bail after assaulting his then wife (he was really into PCP during that time).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah Japan is like where the US was in the 80's or 90's when it comes to gay people.
Let's go with 80s. American pop culture in the 90s was making moves towards acceptance of homosexuality (and I think was the beginning of where we are today, where its mainstream acceptable to have gay characters, etc)

Japan's still on some Sleepaway Camp shit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Has James Rolfe (AVGN?) ever really had a milkshake duck moment?

Quality of his videos aside, he seems to be the one YouTube star who has avoided drama despite being around so long and seemingly starting the whole "hot takes" genre---I don't recall him particularly taking a side during GamerGate, which might bother some people since you could see him as ignoring the issue, but as far as I know he's never gone on record with any extremely offensive statements has he? I mean poop and over-the-top shit jokes, but nothing outright sexist or racist?

Altazor

Japan in general

I remember here in Chile during the 90s we had comedy characters whose entire shtick was "they're funny 'cause they're gay". Literally, that was it. Like, "OMG he's gay and he does a funny and exaggerated dance because he's totally flaming lol" and nothing else.

Hell, even during the 00s we had one such "comedy character" - but this time, he was a personal trainer AND gay. Wow. Height of comedy, there.

Quality of his videos aside, he seems to be the one YouTube star who has avoided drama despite being around so long and seemingly starting the whole "hot takes" genre---I don't recall him particularly taking a side during GamerGate, which might bother some people since you could see him as ignoring the issue, but as far as I know he's never gone on record with any extremely offensive statements has he? I mean poop and over-the-top shit jokes, but nothing outright sexist or racist?
Not him directly, unless you count the minor Ghostbusters kerfluffle. But, you should look what's up with his sidekick Mike, the old cartoons and, uh, "intimate" photos he's posted on twitter, and the GamerGate people he's invited over for side videos.

Zubz

Banned

He explicitly avoided a side during GamerGate & he drew some attention for his vehement dislike of the all-female Ghostbusters reboot despite being open towards other reboots, but I think part of that had to do with the movie itself & the fact he r e a l l y loves the original Ghostbusters.

So I'm leaning towards "good guy" but I could see him having one of these down the road.

Cee lo green.

Ooh, yipes... That's another good one.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not him directly, unless you count the minor Ghostbusters kerfluffle. But, you should look what's up with his sidekick Mike, the old cartoons and, uh, "intimate" photos he's posted on twitter, and the GamerGate people he's invited over for side videos.

I remember James was one of the first people I recall the term "cuck" being used as an insult towards right around when GG took off---so I guess for me it seemed GG didn't consider him an ally, or it was a weird meme that started before "cuck" became more than just a goofy term but more of a hateful alt-right slur.

The "cartoons" and photos, do you mean Mike's or James'?

KDC720

I get sad every time I'm reminded that Jim Carrey is an anti-vaxxer. Makes me despise Jenny McCarthy even more for turning him on to it.

It's also disappointing when some content creators have to come out with the "but both sides can be just as bad though" excuse. I get that most of the time they say this not to lose viewers but in that case they are better off just not saying anything on the topic in general.

joe2187

Banned
The only issue i had with AVGN Was his connection with AlphaOmegaSin.

The ghostbusters thing was just a video he should have just not made, but ultimatley it was nothing.

James didn't dislike the Ghostbusters movie because of the female cast. He disliked it because he didn't think there needed to be another Ghostbusters movie. He was quite clear on that in his video(s). I think people were just quick to jump all over him at the time because the film was a hot-button issue and as soon as he was negative about it everyone just assumed it was because of the female cast.

PhillyD
Boogie

When I found out they were middle of the fence, white moderates I unsubscribed and started telling others how their content is harmful and crap (the logic that you can be 100% unbias and that the best way of thinking is to find middle ground in EVERY scenario).

Especially when they both started saying both sides are the same. And note, both PhillyD and Boogie have illnesses that will kill them if they did not have health insurance. Hell PhillyD has a genetic illness that his son will probably have. But both sides.

Can't say i've ever been a fan of Jontron or Pewdiepie but their recent alt-right remarks or defense of people espousing nonsense like "white genocide" can only be described as appalling, albeit not unsurprising for Pewdiepie given his various incendiary remarks in the past i.e. rape jokes. Boogie's "both sides"-ism is the very worst of centrism that allows harassment that he supposedly condemns to flourish by pretending Gamergate and other harassment campaigns to be seen as a platform for one to stand with, hence why I have unsubscribed from his channel and will not see any videos made by him in the future. Also, that holocaust survivor tweet was just...no.

bYH6bYZ.png

For a semi-gaming related example, as a kid, I loved the Nickelodeon show Catscratch. Then I learned about the homophobic piece of trash who made it, Doug TenNepal (aka. the guy who recently misgendered a critic of his and engaged in targeted harassment of her), and haven't touched anything made by him since.

I remember James was one of the first people I recall the term "cuck" being used as an insult towards right around when GG took off---so I guess for me it seemed GG didn't consider him an ally, or it was a weird meme that started before "cuck" became more than just a goofy term but more of a hateful alt-right slur.

The "cartoons" and photos, do you mean Mike's or James'?
Mike's. He made really racist cartoons in his mid 20s and posted/sent photos of his penis to people to prove its size.

Won

Notch is probably the best example on how money doesn't buy you happiness. There is probably a decent story you could tell about his downfall as a human being.

Felt really awkward when his usually donation during the SGDQ came up. Can't hate on it, but it feels so hollow now.

Jackie Chan is usually the person that comes to mind for me on such topics, though no idea if he really fits in this specific case.

Dineren

Banned
Probably Roseanne Barr for me. I have very fond memories of Roseanne when I was growing up and I recall it seemed pretty progressive for the time so hearing about her Islamaphobic views and Trump support was pretty disappointing.

James didn't dislike the Ghostbusters movie because of the female cast. He disliked it because he didn't think there needed to be another Ghostbusters movie. He was quite clear on that in his video(s). I think people were just quick to jump all over him at the time because the film was a hot-button issue and as soon as he was negative about it everyone just assumed it was because of the female cast.
Really the problem with Rolfe's video was that it kickstarted the real problem with the Ghostbusters controversy, which was an irritating tidal wave of "moderates" spamming the #notallnerds hashtag or whatever.

At the beginning of the Ghostbusters controversy, some people went legitimately insane over the existence of the movie and liberal feminist bloggers issued put-downs like shooting fish in a barrel, which is pretty average for the Internet - but what made Ghostbusters' legacy particularly shitty was the pushback where nerds who based their entire identity around consumption were suddenly desperately defending their right to hate the movie before it came out. I don't think Rolfe is sexist, but his video validated this subculture that enabled the particularly disgusting views on the film.

diehard

Fleer
I'm about 99% sure Rolfe doesn't even pay attention to things like gamer-gate. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't even play video games or even know whats going on when it comes to the Internet.

Notch is probably the best example on how money doesn't buy you happiness. There is probably a decent story you could tell about his downfall as a human being.

Not to play armchair psychologist, of course, but it really seems like the money and success actually made him miserable, making him question who his real friends are, among other things. He used to strike me as someone that preferred to keep their nose to the grindstone, experimenting with new ideas, then setting them aside.

Imagine a world where Minecraft stayed a niche success at best, eventually set aside as he moved on to his next passion project. It's hard not to imagine that he'd have been happier.

I'm pretty sure Notch was always a piece of crap. He had a history of saying questionable things even when Minecraft was still small (well, relatively) and when he sold the game to Microsoft, he gave all he money to himself and two other high-ranking members of the company, with nothing to his employees even if they were being forced to relocate as part of the purchase.

I think money exacerbated the issues, sure, but I'm pretty confident he set all of his downfall up for himself.

Loxley

Probably Tolkien and his casual-racism towards minorities in his literary works. Anyone described as having darker skin or a darker appearance is ally of Sauron and a servant of evil. I get that Tolkien was a white, upper-class Englishman who was born in the 1890's, and as such his views on race were largely framed by times in which he lived, but still, it's a topic that shouldn't be swept under the rug like many people would prefer to do.

I think like a lot of die-hard Tolkien fans, my first reaction when this was pointed out to me was denial. There's no way this author that I greatly admire held racist views! After all, The Lord of the Rings is about people of various races putting aside their differences and coming together! But over time, as my understanding of how racism can present itself evolved, I started to actually see what people were talking about.

I still love the Middle-earth Legendarium like it's my own child, and greatly admire Tolkien, but it's an aspect of his work that I don't think should be out-right ignored.

Really the problem with Rolfe's video was that it kickstarted the real problem with the Ghostbusters controversy, which was an irritating tidal wave of "moderates" spamming the #notallnerds hashtag or whatever.

At the beginning of the Ghostbusters controversy, some people went legitimately insane over the existence of the movie and liberal feminist bloggers issued put-downs like shooting fish in a barrel, which is pretty average for the Internet - but what made Ghostbusters' legacy particularly shitty was the pushback where nerds who based their entire identity around consumption were suddenly desperately defending their right to hate the movie before it came out. I don't think Rolfe is sexist, but his video validated this subculture that enabled the particularly disgusting views on the film.

That's a fair argument.

What does insulting complete strangers do for you? From my post, surely you could infer that they were otherwise good people. When you act this negatively, it hurts you too.

It doesn't do anything, just confirming that they don't get a pass. I'd be interested in hearing how it hurts me though, that's a new one.

"otherwise good people" lol

I remember here in Chile during the 90s we had comedy characters whose entire shtick was "they're funny 'cause they're gay". Literally, that was it. Like, "OMG he's gay and he does a funny and exaggerated dance because he's totally flaming lol" and nothing else.

Hell, even during the 00s we had one such "comedy character" - but this time, he was a personal trainer AND gay. Wow. Height of comedy, there.

Tony Esbelt is a comedic genius!
/s

The RLM guys will occasionally say things that make me wonder about them, Rich in particular. On a recent stream he was downplaying the impact of Wonder Woman because girls already had Ripley to look up to, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Jack seems like a pretty cool dude, though.

Yeah, I'm a little wary of their opinions on some topics, and they are not a very diverse bunch.

George Orwell tried to shop J B Priestley to his handlers at MI5. That moment when you realise that even great writers can be disgusting people.

The RLM guys will occasionally say things that make me wonder about them, Rich in particular. On a recent stream he was downplaying the impact of Wonder Woman because girls already had Ripley to look up to, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Jack seems like a pretty cool dude, though.

Have to agree with this one. They are on the razor's edge for me currently. They really haven't done anything that I would consider blatantly sexist or racist or anything, but they do a lot of mocking of "PC culture" and stuff that typically runs adjacent to outright bigotry.

The biggest one for me personally is Nick Robinson, I was a big fan of his for a while.

And lord help me, I will probably jump off a bridge if Chelsea Manning ever has a Milkshake Duck moment...

Kyou

Have to agree with this one. They are on the razor's edge for me currently. They really haven't done anything that I would consider blatantly sexist or racist or anything, but they do a lot of mocking of "PC culture" and stuff that typically runs adjacent to outright bigotry.

There was a while there where they were complaining about "forced diversity" a bit too much

like any time a black person was in a "white movie"

wamberz1

Thankfully, I have yet to experience this yet. Guess I'm a good judge of character.

Even the ones there were from content I used to watch (like jontron while he was on GG)... I could have easily guessed they were shitbirds off camera. Not a 100% thing, but just "Yeah, I could totally see that".

But if any of the friendcast or beastcast crew were revealed to be nutjobs also, that would hit hard. Fortunately I really don't think that's the case.

I have a feeling Dunkey is gonna be the next big one. He's already slipped up once and with his immense popularity now I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Mike complained about the diversity in the high school in the new Spider-Man film... which is set in New York City, one of the most diverse cities in the world. And, it's been a growing pattern over the years that seemingly gets worse. That, and Rich's impassioned defense of his right to keep using the word retard and tranny...

Crowbcat would be my pick. I guess it's obvious in hindsight, but his videos are pretty obviously geared towards the /v/ crowd. I think I only realized after the "WE WUZ KANGS" bit in his most recent e3 compilation.

While he hasn't be as openly awful as most other people on this thread, it's probably the most the Milkshake Duck phenomena has affected me.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
RLM haven't gone full milkshake duck yet, but they've definitely got the ice cream ready to go.

Did he?

That other stuff, yeesh.
He wrote the intro that Jay read in the Half in the Bag episode that said something to the effect that there was so much diversity at the school that college admission magazines would blush. The Rich stuff was from the pre rec streams years ago. Th topic came up with Jack not liking them typing retard and Rich objecting and defending his joking use of the word. Basically, a defense that everything goes with regard to jokes. Someone who used to post in the community thread would know more about the transphobic slur since it caused them to stop watching.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Mike complained about the diversity in the high school in the new Spider-Man film... which is set in New York City, one of the most diverse cities in the world. And, it's been a growing pattern over the years that seemingly gets worse. That, and Rich's impassioned defense of his right to keep using the word retard and tranny...

Okay, n/m, maybe they've gone full milkshake duck. I've sort of stopped following them so I wasn't aware of all this.

Did he?

That other stuff, yeesh.

he didn't complain about. He made a joke as he usually does in these situations, because as a white cynical nerd he sees this as a cash grab by upper hollywood vs a positive movement.

If I recall the comment in the recent Spiderman half in the bag was a throwaway line aching to "and he goes to the most diverse high school ever" which depending on where you grew up, it's not weird you'd think that.

I went to a high school in the suburbs in Texas, white people were most definitely a HUGE majority. I can only imagine Milwaukee.

Altazor

Probably Tolkien and his casual-racism towards minorities in his literary works. Anyone described as having darker skin or a darker appearance is ally of Sauron and a servant of evil. I get that Tolkien was a white, upper-class Englishman who was born in the 1890's, and as such his views on race were largely framed by times in which he lived, but still, it's a topic that shouldn't be swept under the rug like many people would prefer to do.

I think like a lot of die-hard Tolkien fans, my first reaction when this was pointed out to me was denial. There's no way this author that I greatly admire held racist views! After all, The Lord of the Rings is about people of various races putting aside their differences and coming together! But over time, as my understanding of how racism can present itself evolved, I started to actually see what people were talking about.

I still love the Middle-earth Legendarium like it's my own child, and greatly admire Tolkien, but it's an aspect of his work that I don't think should be out-right ignored.

Yeah, it's one of the most... hm, problematic parts of his legendarium. I'm willing to think it was mostly unintentional - or, at least, par for the course in such times. I mean, we're talking about the times in which the British Empire started to "disintegrate" - so even if JRRT wasn't a colonialist, some eurocentric stuff really found its way to his writings.

In any case, have you read this guide about Racism in Middle Earth? If you haven't done so, it may be worth a read! I found it well thought-out and fair, not shying away from the more problematic aspects of race in the Legendarium but also pointing out the possiblity of making the fandom more inclusive.

Tony Esbelt is a comedic genius!
/s

too avant-garde for our tastes and status quo!

yeah what did Clapton do?

Seriously, I love his music and read his auto-biography, but it'd make sense that they would keep bits he didn't approve out of it.

supporting Enoch Powell back in the day, including a racist as fuck speech during a show in 1976:

I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking [indecipherable] don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!

"I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism" tho

Aurongel

There was also a weird amount of Diversity back and forth in the Plinkett review for The Force Awakens, likening it to Studio mandates and corporate political correctness. I love them for their cynicism and knowledge, but the RLM crew are definitely Showing their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom