• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most exciting gaming memory. Or memories.

hipgnosis

Playing Super Mario World for the first time after years of playing only the NES games.

Seeing Mario 64 for the first time.

Getting Final Fantasy IX and seeing the intro scene and exploring the first town, I was in love immediately.

Picobrain

Banned
The day when my father brought me Nintendo 64 with Mario 64 from his business trip from France. That was happiest day for me. I didn't even went to school so I could play my new console :)

Glass Rebel

Several:

- Playing that damn 9999 games collection (really, it was just about 5 or something, including SMB and that awesome Tanks game) on my cousins NES clone
- Opening Twilight Princess on new years eve 2006 and playing 10h in a single sitting
- Skipping (boring) classes to encrypt and play Portal 2 after all the potato drama

But what connected most on an emotional level was finishing the Phoenix Wright trilogy for the first time. I played through the whole thing thrice but when the credits rolled at the end of Trials & Tribulations I was genuinely sad.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
So many... gaming has given me so much. I think these would be my all-time favourites:

- Passing Max 300 (Heavy) on Dance Dance Revolution. That song was kind of symbolic, it was the hardest song around at the time and it was something I'd been working towards and practising for months.

- Leaving the Vault in Fallout 3.

- Experiencing Level 1 on Rez for the first time, especially the last few layers. I had never seen audio and visuals synchronized so perfectly in a game and I almost shed a tear at how beautiful it was. I was so lost in the game that I think I really understood what the whole synaesthesia thing was about.

- Finding out that
UNATCO are the bad guys
in Deus Ex.

- Understanding how Drop 7 worked and instantly becoming hooked for life.

- Beating The Dig with my Dad and my brothers with NO walkthroughs or hints.

- Beating the gargoyles on Dark Souls. There were many other moments of greatness on that first playthrough (Smough and Ornstein especially), but that first big victory was the greatest. I was so pumped full of adrenaline that I jumped out of my chair and yelled, and needed a cup of tea and a sit down before I could continue.

test_account

XP-39C²
- Opening the NES Action Set for Christmas in 1990. I had no idea that we were getting that.

- Buying our first NES game (except Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt of course) which was Turtles 1. The store was about one hour drive away, but man, that drive felt long being a kid knowing that i was getting a new game hehe :)

- Reading the Nintendo Magazine about upcoming games and news.

- Getting Maniac Mansion for NES after getting home from school one day (we had ordered it in the mail, so i knew it was coming).

- Getting news games in general when i was a kid.

- Receiving Time Crisis 1 for PSX with the G-CON45 lightgun at Christmas.

- Getting God of War 2 in the mail just after it was released.

- Finally getting the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls after hours of grinding, then upgrading the sword to get the last trophy and the platinum trophy.

There are probably more memories, but these are the ones that i remember right now.

-Getting past the ridiculous platfomring in the hades level in God Of War. Jaffe, you're crazy for that section of the game.

-Getting my PS2 when they were next to impossible to find.

-First time playing Mario 64 on a kiosk inside a blockbuster.

-Buying my first console, an xbox 360, with my own money. Six one hundred dollar bills to get two games and what was the premium package at the time. It's a 2006 model and it still hasn't RROD'd.

Getting this when I was playing EQ.

xRQQb.png

I was in a small guild, so getting this within that guild was pretty awesome.

- Playing the NES for the first time. "Fuck toys, I want THAT".
- Having a SNES at home with SM All Stars.
- Receiving a Playstation with Crash Bandicoot 3 and Tombi for Christmas.
- My father bringing me a copy of Metal Gear Solid...the all-nighter I put that day.
- When I finally found a copy of FFVII for cheap at the local supermarket.
- When MGS2 was released.
- When Jak 2 was released.
- The most recent would be MGS4's release. I was so excited I pre-ordered the collector edition even though I didn't have a PS3 at the time, and I waited outside the store on the release day for it to open in order to rush and go home to play it.

orion434

Christmas Day 1987, I received Kid Icarus, Metroid & The Legend of Zelda for presents... my family didn't see me for the rest of the day. I was the happiest 11 years old on the planet that day!!!

In more recent times... The Great Hollow in Dark Souls and when you first arrive at Anor Londo, you actually feel the scope of the areas.

I took a whole eleven days off of work for the Wind Waker. I bought a case of Bawls, a few cases of Barqs, some Lotte Milkis, a freezer full of what I called "stoner food" (pizza rolls, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, etc), a whole cheesecake, some tiramisu, etc etc etc. It was a junk food bonanza - enough to last the whole vacation.

Then, I went out and bought a new surround sound speaker system to go with my big TV. And some blackout liner for my curtains then. And lots of candles to set a great mood for my living room.

It was an absolutely glorious vacation. I spent all week long on that sofa, dog at my feet, sailing around Hyrule. I had taken time off of work for gaming events before, but this was escalating it to a whole different level. It marked my transition to adulthood, where I didn't have binding obligations like college classes any longer - indeed, I could finally devote serious time once again to my beloved hobby.

This vacation would set the base standard for all of my future video gaming-related vacations.

That sounds incredibly fun for several good reasons - like a true holiday/break for yourself without traveling around some place randomly (even though I like travelling when it's somewhere I like). Just you, your dog, all the food doctors warn you about, comfy couch and a great game to be lost in. Never did something like this before but your description makes me wonder if this should inspire me to do the same for one special game when my life circumstances allow it in the future... (I probably would have to tell my friends I'm really going on vacation though so that they won't come check on me when I'm not online for a few days fearing my demise and/or hoping to loot some of my stuff just to find me lying on comfy couch in my underwear with pizza cartons and empty beer bottles around me - some even have keys to my place... then again, what would I care :D)

Would have to be getting a NES/SNES/N64 in order of their release. I think the SNES was my most favorite though! Also seeing Mario 64 for the first time left my jaw on the ground.

Jibbed

I've got a few...

- The first time I played completed Mass Effect 1 on 360. So good!
- Getting my (now sold) PS3 on launch with Motorstorm and Resistance: FOM. Visuals in Motorstorm especially blew my mind.
- Playing online for the first time ever on TOCA Race Driver 3 on PS2. 8-player races with the Autosport Clios were a blast.
- Building my first gaming PC this year, I love this thing.
- Playing the shit out of Star Wars: Battlefront II with my little brother.
- Being a complete noob on CoD4 when it released, and still loving every second.

Does anyone else remember playing CoD4 for the first time? Shit was insane.

casabolg

Banned
-Playing .hack and The Last Express: It's those two games that influenced me the most in terms of potential games have overall when I was younger.
-Playing Steel Battalion: IT'S STEEL BATTALION
-Pretty much every online experience in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls: Not only were they fun and something you could learn from but they were completely unique experiences, especially the ones that weren't straight battles. They really were completely dependent on the creativity of the people I was playing with and were always unique and interesting.
-My first truly hard nostalgia rush some years back when it was terribly quiet and all of a sudden the song from the departure from Midgar in FF7 started playing in my room.

Marco1

Even though I've been gaming since the ZX Spectrum days, nothing matches my first on-line game of COD2 on the xbox 360.
I remember getting broadband fitted and talking with someone who also just started playing online. We sent each other a friend request and had many great moments such as PGR3.
I could name the usual suspects such as mario64 and OOT but they've been done to death I'm sure.

izakq

Too many, too many!!!

- My brother and I getting an Atari 2600 on Christmas Eve. Sweeps all toys aside and my brother and I played Space Invaders and Asteroids all night.

- At 12, working all summer long at my home, saving $5 here, $10 there until I was able to save enough for an NES and a game. After giving my Mom all that money, one day she comes home with a NES w/SMB and Excitebike.

- At 18, went 70 miles south to Albuquerque to sell all of my NES games and system for SNES w/SMW and Super Ghosts'n'Goblins. Best Saturday ever.

Lucius86

Banned
UT99. 8vs8 instagib CTF on CTF-Niven. Smallest CTF map in the game, was utter chaos with my favourite mutator, pretty high skill level involving all us old clan folk.

20mins in, game was 1-1, went into sudden death. Was extremely tight, both sides struggling to make it a meter out of the base with the flag. All you could hear was the sound of 10 shock rifles blasting away.

4 hours later, it was STILL 1-1. So many close calls, last minute saves, monster kills. We eventually lost, but it was the most amazingly intense, stressful, but truly epic gaming moment I will ever have.

Beating Ultima for the first time in FFXI (Airship battle, Chains of Promathia Quest 10-4)
Our main tank went down, so I tanked him on monk for the last 20%.
Popped hundred fists and counterstance, then prayed.
Back then, this was an accomplishment.

scoops.jpg

Does anyone else remember playing CoD4 for the first time? Shit was insane.
I remember back in the day my mind being blow by playing Call of Duty (the first one) on my brand new laptop, which was a beast at that time. So crisp, so beautiful, so fluid, it was like a whole new world opened to me. It's to that date the only satisfying PC gaming experience I had. And the online, oh boy. Oh many LANs we played with that.

I remember when I played CoD4 for the first time : "Meh, it can't get better than the firsOMG THIS IS AWESOME".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

SteveWD40

Getting my first PC and my sister coming home from work having got me Doom 2 and Monkey Island 2, the boxes were massive!

First seeing footage of the sniper / damn section in Goldeneye.

Getting the MGS demo disc on the cover of OPM (and on the topic of cover demo's, the Quake demo on PC gamer way back when, but it ran so shit that it wasn't as exiting...).

Creating my first character in WoW and a ton of moments after that in that game, playing WoW in 2005 was amazing and playing it all for the first time doubly so.

snkryo

Living in a single parent home and having three siblings was rough financially. But my Mom one day took me and my brother to Childs world and while I was looking at the games she comes up to me and tells me what do I want and I first was shocked and thought she was playing and she tells me pick the system you want and I picked a Sega master system (cause of the arcade ports and it Rocked!) and she paid for it with whatever little money she had to make me one happy child. I'm grateful to my Mom for that moment even though she tells me now she made a mistake she she started my gaming hobby.

Ecliptor

Getting Pokemon Stadium 2 and Pokemon Gold for christmas 2000. I hadn't played Red/Blue at that moment so it was my first pokemon adventure. I didn't have a Game Boy but I had a Transfer Pak so I played it on the tv :D

Marco1

Living in a single parent home and having three siblings was rough financially. But my Mom one day took me and my brother to Childs world and while I was looking at the games she comes up to me and tells me what do I want and I first was shocked and thought she was playing and she tells me pick the system you want and I picked a Sega master system (cause of the arcade ports and it Rocked!) and she paid for it with whatever little money she had to make me one happy child. I'm grateful to my Mom for that moment even though she tells me now she made a mistake she she started my gaming hobby.

Nice story and a great system to start with.

Hansel

Banned
s24539_ps2_8.jpg

I had a birthday party where me and some of my friends played Katamari Damacy multiplayer battles while singing all the songs that played until the sun came up.

JBSoldi

Neo Member
Funny as it is to think right now, but the most exciting I've felt in gaming was competing at my local blockbuster more than 17 years ago for the Blockbuster Videogame Championship. Every week I'd drop by to compete in Donkey Kong Country and I would "train" for each qualifying round, which would literally consist of me "speedrunning" through the beginning levels of DKC with an egg timer by my side, counting the extra lives and bananas I've collected.

After the last competition, I got the call that I won the local portion and got the prize, which consisted of free rentals for a year (2 at a time for one month). I was never so excited by playing games in my life.

Winning also lead me to play some of my favorite games on the SNES, such as Kirby's Dream Course, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and a game I think is called "Metal Marines"? It's a platformer with mechs that can shoot and fly. It's kind of like Super Turrican but with mechs. Damn, I don't think that's the name of the game.

Still, nothing has every matched that since.

Hex

Banned
Have many, but there was nothing like when my friends and I picked up Final Fantasy Vii and took it to their house and popped it in.
There was something special and larger than life about that time and that release that has never been repeated.

Gaming in general it was when I played Defender of the Crown waaaay back on pc, the in between graphics were crazy.

age of empires the original multiplayer. God was that browser based lobby system horrible.

starcraft 1 first couple games of multiplayer lagging behind and then sling shotting ahead of everyone in the match, or the BS that used to happen at the end of each match with people unallying each other.

Marco1

I still remember building my first gaming PC a GTX295 with corei7 920 about 2-3 years ago and playing LOTRO at 1920x1200. I always wanted a free-roaming LOR game and for my first one to be a MMO it was amazing. I still remember someone running past me and gifting me some money and jewels. I honestly thought it was a NPC.
Sadly I went back to consoles due to the hassles of PC gaming but that will always stick with me.

Murrah

Banned
I have a ton, but my all time favorite would have to be the gamecube launch. I spent the whole summer poring over the same gaming magazine (think it was Gamepro but I forget; it had SSX Tricky on the cover though) to look at Melee and Luigi's Mansion screenshots, then spent pretty much the whole first two months of sixth grade talking to friends about it. Launch date was three days after my 12th birthday, and I had my two best friends spend the night after my party to go with me to get it at launch. Stayed up all night too excited to sleep, then my mom drove us to walmart around 3 to get it, and we stood around playing Pokemon Gold/Silver for a few hours until they let us in

Ended up leaving with the console, memory card, two extra controllers, Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball. Spent the next 12 hours(!) taking turns on LM and RL and unlocking party games in Monkey Ball. My uncle came over later that day to see it, and him being a huge Star Wars nerd he was speechless when I showed him the first level of Rogue Leader. And all that hype was nothing compared to Melee coming out a couple weeks later

I had a similar thing a couple years later when Soul Calibur 2 was coming out where I read and re-read EGM's huge feature/review on it for a whole month of summer. Easily my most hyped non-Nintendo game of all time

And I guess just one more - buying Kirby's Epic Yarn on launch day and playing through the whole game in coop in one sitting with a friend. Game may be ridiculously easy, but just seeing what the developers did with the aesthetics and everything, plus the great soundtrack and it being a beautiful fall day and we had warm apple cider and donuts, it was pretty much perfect

In Panzer Dragoon Saga, fighting with the Guardian Dragon, the last boss from Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Playing Shenmue and Soul Calibur for the first time.

Metal Gear Solid 2, the tanker. Damn...!

Playing all of Half-Life with all that great narrative.

Post-Searing Ascalon in Guild Wars! Wasn't really expecting that!

There are too many great moments to describe them all in here!

Basically getting any console as a kid. SNES, PS1, N64, PS2 opening/first time playing really stand out.

Renting ZoE from Blockbuster to play the MGS2 demo. I did this maybe 4-5 times.

Playing Goldeneye on the N64 for the first time really sticks out, same with the original Super Smash Bros with my brother.

First time playing Half-Life 2, GTA3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Ocarina Of Time, Tomb Raider, Halo all stand out really vividly. God damn.

Also maybe because it's fresh in my memory, building my first PC in February has been a pretty satisfying accomplishment, mostly because I've been enjoying tons of multiplatform games I missed out on this gen and some great indie games. It has definitely renewed my passion for gaming that was slowly fading from the long console life-cycle.

Gilgamesh

Going to Blockbuster one day and discovering that they made a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

It was way over my head at the time (I was like 11), but coming back to it years later, I like it a lot. It's definitely not Chrono Trigger 2, but it's pretty great. And has one of the best soundtracks of all time.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
UT99. 8vs8 instagib CTF on CTF-Niven. Smallest CTF map in the game, was utter chaos with my favourite mutator, pretty high skill level involving all us old clan folk.

20mins in, game was 1-1, went into sudden death. Was extremely tight, both sides struggling to make it a meter out of the base with the flag. All you could hear was the sound of 10 shock rifles blasting away.

4 hours later, it was STILL 1-1. So many close calls, last minute saves, monster kills. We eventually lost, but it was the most amazingly intense, stressful, but truly epic gaming moment I will ever have.
Instagib CTF matches in UT99 were amazing. Especially on CTF-Face.

jergrah

There are so many I could probably list a ton, but here are some that jumped into my mind when I saw the thread title:

- First time I discovered a Warp Pipe in Super Mario Brothers
- Scoring my first touchdown in Tecmo Bowl
- Playing Halo on Gamespy with that XBox Connect plugin or whatever. Was such great fun, playing game, jumping back on my PC to talk trash with the other players in the chat window, then jumping back to the couch for more MP.
- Beating the Black Car in Ridge Racer
- Gears of War Co-Op
- Baseball Stars - Robbing a homerun by climbing the wall

Wiz

Turning 9 years old and playing my Nintendo 64 & Super Mario 64 for the first time.

Seeing adult Link for the first time in Ocarina of Time.

All the hours spent playing Super Smash Bros Melee.

Going to a store and seeing the original Zelda in a gold cartridge for the first time. Having my uncle buy it and then staying up till 6am playing it with him. Still could never get used to saving on the cart and not having passwords.

ghibli99

Firing up my Sega Master System on Christmas morning... first game: The Ninja. I remember all the firsts: "Sega Master System" opening screen, the text scroller, music fading in, and DRUMS. Nice title screen with the fiery background animation. Unraveling map screen. Oh, it was glorious!

Muffdraul

Driving to Hyper Game Action in West LA in early Feb 1997 to pick up my import copy of FFVII. Driving home on the freeway marveling at the über clean box art and thumbing through the manual, trying not to crash. Listening to a cassette of New Day Rising by Husker Du the whole time.

Murrah

Banned
Driving to Hyper Game Action in West LA in early Feb 1997 to pick up my import copy of FFVII. Driving home on the freeway marveling at the über clean box art and thumbing through the manual, trying not to crash. Listening to a cassette of New Day Rising by Husker Du the whole time.

This might be my new favorite post on gaf

WallJump

Banned
Got a PS1 with Legend of Legaia because of an operation I went through. I know the game isn't particularly great, but it made the fact I could barely get out of bed for days pass by much easier.

Defeating Zeto in that game and realizing, slowly, that this was NOWHERE NEAR the end of the game. My cousin and I were like- "OOOOOOhhhhMahGod". The game itself hasn't aged well but damn if it wasn't some of the most fun I had gaming.

FMVs of Kidnapping Garnet and escaping the Evil Forest in FFIX, my first real RPG.

Ys: Oath in Felghana (PSP), Nightmare mode Chester 2. Adrenaline was off the charts for a handheld. Just ridiculous.

Myriadis

Beating the final boss of Metroid Prime with just 14 Energy left (from ~1300). That means that one hit would've killed me. And the exact same thing happened with Metroid Prime 2.

In Twilight Princess, I did the final blow to the final boss with just one quarter of a heart left.

Fighting several bosses in Skyward Sword, especially Kolokotos and Ghirahim. Skyward Sword simply has some of the best bosses in the whole series.

F-Zero GX. All of it. No, really. There's nothing better to use your last energy to shoot past the enemies and landing in first place with just milliseconds ahead.

Jackano

N64 memories mainly. It was the first system and games I got at launch. Well, for the system, it was the first I actually preordered and got from a stupid mail retailer a couple weeks after the launch.
And OoT of course. At the time, preordering was a fairly new thing as well as shortages. But I managed to get it day one, leaving the shortages for those who wished the game for Christmas.

Top Bottom