• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Next Favorite: Folklore (Video)

Evilisk

Average tier: Genji 2
Shit tier: Clash of the Titans, Knights Contract,

Fixed

Genji 2 isn't nearly that bad. I mean the camera is absolutely awful, no question about it and the platforming is terrible I'll admit, especially towards the end of the game.

That said, I thought the combat was actually really, really underrated. I mean yeah it's really stiff when you first play through it and the later enemy types + terrible camera can get frustrating at parts (I'm getting flashbacks to that terrible ballista level).

But when you've actually figure out the kinks behind it (like for example, just stopping your combo before the combo finisher so you don't have ending lag OR learning what moves can be cancelled into your character change) it actually becomes pretty fun and satisfying. It feels really great when you beat any section with a crap load of enemies without using the Kamui meter.

I think I have two unopened copies of this. Should get around to it. I remember the demo being beautiful and the mechanics pretty solid.

Art direction for the monsters and magical world seem kinda bad/tacky, but you've sold me. Up to this point I thought this was a full blown Pokemon clone, which I never like (like Ninokuni's awful battles), but this seems more like Castlevania x of Sorrow ability fighting, which is good.

Gazoinks

Art direction for the monsters and magical world seem kinda bad/tacky, but you've sold me. Up to this point I thought this was a full blown Pokemon clone, which I never like (like Ninokuni's awful battles), but this seems more like Castlevania x of Sorrow ability fighting, which is good.

It's more like Lost Kingdoms, if you've played that. You capture enemies, but each enemy is basically an ability you can bind to the four face buttons.

krae_man

I really enjoyed catching my Folkemon.

Never managed to beat it though. The tug o war with one of those final bosses in the epilogue was insane. Couldn't do it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What a great game...i likd how they used sixaxis...although the voice acting was lol worthy, the game itself was very interesting an underrated. One of those less than AAA titles but still quality games you would never be able to find today because of the segmentation of the marketplace like Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground, Or Nier. Its a shame.

Bold One

Folklore was great, it just needed better production values, as in voice acting and to be on a less expensive platform.

The only game on the PS3 to actually make decent use of the six axis.

UrbanRats

Really enjoyed the demo, but never bought the game for some reason.
I guess at the time i was just busy with other stuff.

I'd love an HD remake for PS4.

SkylineRKR

Game Republic was a good studio. I liked Folklore, but I did not beat it. Which is a shame.

Majin was fun. Actually platted it, which wasn't annoying to do at all. The game felt like a throwback to those N64 games.

Genji 2 is not perfect by any means, but it was big. And perhaps the last of its kind in the Onimusha genre.

Cool video, thanks for posting.

I take it you can't use a Dual Shock 4 for this game due to sixaxis stuff?

I'm not sure, I've never tried it. I don't think there is any alternate control scheme. You can play Flower on PS4 which is sixaxis but probably not by name, so I don't know if that mechanism in the PS4 controller registers when using it on a PS3.

killatopak

I played it. My only beef was having to do the same map twice in every area. This also takes a lot of time since I want to catch each pokemon.

Pinewood

I remember liking the demo, but I havent played the game. Have looked at a few being sold used, but havent taken the plunge yet. Hoping for a digital release alongside Heavenly Sword.

Really cool game, really disappointed they never even put it up for sale digitally. Glad those days are behind us.

What the hell is up with that? Is it just because it's old and came out before downloadable stuff really took off? People said earlier that it was because the game doesn't have trophies, but that sounds like a really dumb reason not to release a game on PSN.

Astery

Definitely one of the good action games in the early "has no games" state of PS3- the combat feels nice and the color palette is wonderful from what I remembered playing the demo back in 2007. Sadly the folklore story setting just doesn't appeal to me (the same applies to "Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom", and "Folklore" is still the better game here imo) and skipped it.

This looks brilliant, I'm very impressed with the way you can use the Folk. Does it hold up? I'd be very interested in playing this.

Edit: Brilliant video by the way, I'd love to see more of these as I definitely was nowhere close to being a 'gamer' when the PS3 first launched and now I'm realising that I could have missed some greats.

This looks brilliant, I'm very impressed with the way you can use the Folk. Does it hold up? I'd be very interested in playing this.

Edit: Brilliant video by the way, I'd love to see more of these as I definitely was nowhere close to being a 'gamer' when the PS3 first launched and now I'm realising that I could have missed some greats.

The combat can feel stiff, because it's an early PS3 title where they were still testing the waters and getting used to stuff. Especially with Ellen because he's summoning the folk to attack, so there's kinda a delay with some creatures. The game has a Demon's Souls style stamina meter type thing for using Folk, so you'll have to keep an eye on that. The combat being as versatile and customizable as it what stands out the most for it and keeps things interesting.

The actual capturing of folk with the sixaxis actually feels very smooth and the animations for it are very satisfying.

SerTapTap

What the hell is up with that? Is it just because it's old and came out before downloadable stuff really took off? People said earlier that it was because the game doesn't have trophies, but that sounds like a really dumb reason not to release a game on PSN.

ONly reason I can imagine is the trophy thing. MGS 4 is also not for download, but that has a publisher, SCE could publish Folklore themselves. Also, there are downloadable (DL only) games from before trophies that never had them patched in, so WTF

ONly reason I can imagine is the trophy thing. MGS 4 is also not for download, but that has a publisher, SCE could publish Folklore themselves. Also, there are downloadable (DL only) games from before trophies that never had them patched in, so WTF

You'd think they would have put MGS4 on there now because they patched trophies into it. Seems like that would have been the reason they randomly did that.

I really need to play this soon.
would be nice to see them do a remaster or Vita version

I don't know, seems like they're fine with just forgetting Folklore ever happened. I don't think I've heard any mention of the game by Sony in a long time. They should have put Keats in PSASBR or something at the very least, that would have been cool.

You can see Ellen actually appears in this PSASBR concept roster created by a concept artist early in the game's development.
PLAYSTATIONALLSTARS_img01.png

Top Bottom