• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts on "sparkling water"?

Catphish

So I'm really trying to minimize my sugar intake, and wanted to go from a can of pop a day to zero. On a whim, I tried some of this LaCroix sparkling water shit.

And ya know? I fucking like it.

Now, I've heard other people cast disparaging remarks upon it like, "If TV static were a drink, that's what it would taste like", or "It's club soda that watched a documentary on fruit once", but, to me, it's like soda without the sugar or chemical sweeteners. That is to say, it's not fucking sweet. At all. But it does have hints of other flavors that make it interesting. All in all, I'm glad I found it. I feel weird paying for unsweetened carbonated water in a can, but I sure do like the fact that I can drink it pretty much at will without any health concerns.

How bout you?

7e34d7b5-b205-42ae-a1de-0304a9b190ef_text.gif

Raven117

So I'm really trying to minimize my sugar intake, and wanted to go from a can of pop a day to zero. On a whim, I tried some of this LaCroix sparkling water shit.

And ya know? I fucking like it.

Now, I've heard other people cast disparaging remarks upon it like, "If TV static were a drink, that's what it would taste like", or "It's club soda that watched a documentary on fruit once", but, to me, it's like soda without the sugar or chemical sweeteners. That is to say, it's not fucking sweet. At all. But it does have hints of other flavors that make it interesting. All in all, I'm glad I found it. I feel weird paying for unsweetened carbonated water in a can, but I sure do like the fact that I can drink it pretty much at will without any health concerns.

How bout you?
Just suggested this to another user who wants to cut out soda.

Not a damn thing wrong with it, and if you like it, then rock on. Its fizzy, it has some flavor (though sometimes it tastes like someone ate some fruit then burped in a water bottle), but otherwise it is a great alternative to downing a soda.

In the end, I prefer Topo Chico (Texas thing), fizzier and sharper, but all is good.

I drink Lacroix and Bubbly. At first I didn't like it but after awhile it grew on me. I have a strong urge to drink something other than water in the evenings when I'm trying to relax, and this is my go to drink on nights when I'm not drinking alcohol. I'm currently taking a break from alcohol, and it's summer, so I'm drinking a lot of this stuff. I like the taste, but the carbonation also gives a certain sensation that is satisfying.

I started stocking up on it because no one I live with will drink it. They would drink diet soda, beer, anything else I buy, they wouldn't touch a Lacroix or bubbly. I could buy that other stuff and get them not to drink it by clearly labeling the stuff I buy, and making a big deal about it, but since none of them will drink sparkling water I'd rather just buy that. For people addicted to sugar it's not sweet enough, for me Lacroix is just fine.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Lacroix in the blue can, when it's borderline slush, on a triple digit day is so refreshing. I look up to the sky and show my thanks to the Powers that be for being alive.
I used to hate Sparkling water. Now I find myself trying a new one, here and there. Worthy mention is Pellegrino. Good stuff!

epicnemesis

If I may present a dissenting opinion. Sparkling water is fucking nasty regardless of somebody whispering the name of a fruit into a can before sealing it and calling that flavor.

That said, we usually go through about 2 Costco sized la croix packs a month so my wife clearly sees the same thing you see in it.

I won’t touch the stuff and will gladly have my 1 or so root beer a week whenever I want something that isn’t water.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wish I could find a good one, the problem is I like the sugar aspect of Soda :(. Sparkling water drinks just leave me completely unsatisfied. Though I will say I've had success with no-sugar koolaid + pure sparkling water. Its still leaves me unsatisified, but it at least keeps me from grabbing another soda.

Last edited:

Raven117

If I may present a dissenting opinion. Sparkling water is fucking nasty regardless of somebody whispering the name of a fruit into a can before sealing it and calling that flavor.

That said, we usually go through about 2 Costco sized la croix packs a month so my wife clearly sees the same thing you see in it.

I won’t touch the stuff and will gladly have my 1 or so root beer a week whenever I want something that isn’t water.
One root beer a week is not what the OP is talking about. The OP is talking about soda being the major beverage in the diet every day. That is terrible for you.

Sodas should be treats every once in awhile. Not a beverage you reach for every day.

StormCell

We've been drinking Ice, which can be found at Costco. It's 5 calories and doesn't appear to use artificial sweeteners. I think it's just the sugar from the fruit juice added. Anyway, I find the clear flavor to be basically Sprite -- it's close enough for me, and I like it a lot. There are two other really good flavors: Black cherry is awsome, and watermelon+strawberry is, for me, basically strawberry sprite but with a bit of watermelon flavor.

I've no idea if Ice is really a terrible drink (health-wise), but I figure compared with soda I probably fare a lot better drinking 2-3 Ice's per week versus doing the real thing (drinking actual soda). GAF, feel free to educate me if you know otherwise.

Anyway, Ice is by far the best non-soda sparkling water type of drink I've ever encountered.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I don't really drink the flavored ones. I drink Gerolsteiner daily. Topo Chico every once in a while. I've tried a lot of the flavored ones and , meh, I'll take my minerals instead.
R.53db332f7ea0f67eecc0fd7eb570e78f

lachesis

I find just plain cold water tastes much better than carbonated water.
For some reason, cold pure water tastes more "sweeter" to me. I know, water is supposed to be tasteless... but it just feels that way.
Perhaps all that popping going on does things on my taste bud... it tastes sometimes rather bitter or sour or sometimes even borderline fishy to me.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I used to drink Perrier and the lime flavored Perrier.

I believe any mineral water can cause kidney stones if drank in excess.

CloudNull

Banned
Love it. Shit got me to quit drinking diet soda. I have tried all types and the winner hands down is Spindrift. They don't use natural flavors and use actual fruit juice. They have the best ingredient list out of all of the flavored waters.
8f2SYbD.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I almost exclusively drink sparkling water, it's great. Though it is difficult to get proper sparkling water outside of Germany. Most countries I know only offer sparkling water with a low amount of carbon acid. I like the "classic" style water from Germany.

NahaNago

I pretty much don't like it. I've tried a couple of them but they are just not for me. I'll stick to my coca cola and drinking water every now and then to pretend to be healthy.

Nester99

I can’t drink it, it’s odd. I like water, I like carbonation in soda, but not combined.

I used to drink a soda a day. It was killing me. Down to about one a month. Replaced it with cold fresh water.

stn

I love it, its my go-to drink when its warm out. Visiting Italy recently got me into the "frizante" lifestyle, lol.

To anyone who hates sparkling water: try cherry bubbly. It completely changed my opinion on sparkling water. All other brands tasted like rancid ass, but Bubbly is liquid crack. Cherry, lime, blueberry, raspberry, they're all among the best drinks I've ever had.

Last edited:

BigBooper

It's gross. I drink tap water all the time. Tons of it. I drink a diet soda maybe twice a week. I drink black tea like it's going out of style.

INC

To anyone who hates sparkling water: try cherry bubbly. It completely changed my opinion on sparkling water. All other brands tasted like rancid ass, but Bubbly is liquid crack. Cherry, lime, blueberry, raspberry, they're all among the best drinks I've ever had.

Thats no longer sparkling water tho, since you've flavoured it, it's now sparkling juice

Kev Kev

hmmmm let me think ummmm 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

it tastes like someone ate a grapefruit, farted into a bottle of water, packaged it up and sold it as grapefruit flavored water.

Bridges

Used to drink at least a case of Dr. Pepper a week, now I don't touch the stuff. For the longest time I thought sparkling water was nasty but these days it's pretty much the only thing I drink aside from still water and the occasional Gatorade/Lemonade.

Top Bottom