• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Ricker

Watching that stream a bit now...the guy looks more like Cloud then the old guy we are use to seeing hehe...flashback section?? lol...looks pretty fun though...

The music,or chanting is great and all but doesn`t really fit I think where he is now and it`s getting annoying after a while,because it`s a short song on a loop...

Ricker said:
Watching that stream a bit now...the guy looks more like Cloud then the old guy we are use to seeing hehe...flashback section?? lol...looks pretty fun though...

The music,or chanting is great and all but doesn`t really fit I think where he is now and it`s getting annoying after a while,because it`s a short song on a loop...
he's 16 here i think, the story goes on when he grows up

I really don't want to pay more than $20 for this game, but I do want to play it at some point. Need to see what all this fuss is about the ending.

Larsen B said:
The Eurogamer review has me interested.

the review said:
It's an impressive localisation effort all round, particularly during a brief but exceptionally well-written sojourn into text adventure territory - no, really

:lol Maybe the title should be "More like Zelda / Resident Evil / Deathsmiles / Donkey Kong (mine karts!) / Drakenguard / 2D Sidescroller / Top Down Hack & Slash / Text Adventure then God of War"

K' Dash

my consoles are collecting dust right now, I might give it a try if I start seeing positive user reviews.

Eurogamer review sounds good, almost too good.

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
schennmu said:
So should I order PS3 or 360 Version?

This is my question too
I have both on preorder just incase but want to a basic rundown of any tech or aesthetic differences

Either way Day 1, I have RoF to tie me over till next week!

Larsen B

I'd be fairly surprised if anyone does a comparison of how each version runs. It doesn't seem like it has any profile at all.

Further thoughts from the EG reviewer:

It gets off to a terrible start (I was convinced about three hours in that it was getting a 4, possibly even a 3) but things pick up significantly.

So this really sounds like another game in the mould of The Last Remnant. Lots of problems but, if it clicks with you, then you'll really like it.

demon arm

HamPster PamPster said:
:lol Maybe the title should be "More like Zelda / Resident Evil / Deathsmiles / Donkey Kong (mine karts!) / Drakenguard / 2D Sidescroller / Top Down Hack & Slash / Text Adventure then God of War"

Please make this game. :D

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
I was wondering is the strat guide really needed because it would suck to miss out on an "ultimate" weapon or word because I didnt collect enough carrots/fish

also on the ending question...
are there clear defined cut offs for each path or is this another valkyrie profile situation (super random events that lead to the 'true' ending

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got tons of Amazon credit, so I'll probably order a version.
Any word on which (if any) is better?

Vrakanox

Replicant really takes the cake IMO but it depends. I connect more with the "saving my sister" than "saving my daughter". Maybe you'd like Gestahlt more if you're a father :D

Ridley327

MaddMastaMike said:
I was wondering is the strat guide really needed because it would suck to miss out on an "ultimate" weapon or word because I didnt collect enough carrots/fish

also on the ending question...
are there clear defined cut offs for each path or is this another valkyrie profile situation (super random events that lead to the 'true' ending

It goes like this:

Ending A: Beat the game once through

Ending B: load a new game+ from that file, beat it as you normally would

Ending C: Get 100% of the weapons on an Ending B run to unlock the last part of the game, which gives you an option that leads to either Ending C or Ending D

Ending D: See above, but make sure to have everything done that you needed and/or back up your saves onto a USB device since the game will erase all of your save files once you're done

So I got the game today and played a bit, nearly 1 hour. Loving it so far. Never played Drakengaard 2 so can't say if it's like, but the game is real fun .
I'll post my impressions when I'll be furteher in the game. Oh, and the graphics are fine IMO. Okay, it's not GOW 3, but world is huge, the graphics have their own style, etc.

I'll be back to tell you further impressions.

PS : OST is GODLY, where can I buy it ?

Vrakanox said:
Replicant really takes the cake IMO but it depends. I connect more with the "saving my sister" than "saving my daughter". Maybe you'd like Gestahlt more if you're a father :D

I'll take the one without implied incest. Or do both of them have implied incest? In that case, I'll take none :lol

Mejilan

Vrakanox said:

I'm sorry, I meant if there were any technical issues that would give one of the HD U.S. versions an edge over the other!

Axiom

Music is great but man it sure does loop a fuckton. Not far in, enjoying myself though this bloody boar keeps killing me. Oh sure demons I kill fine, but fucking Bebop here takes forever.
Maybe I need to grind before I try him again.

Really liked the intro I must say, though is it just me or does the game never tell you how to jump or that you can doublejump? It doesn't really matter but it seems like an odd oversight given it teaches you what every other button does.

What the fuck is up with the semi-transparent borders in the cutscenes though? Is it possible to get rid of them somehow?

And yes, the soundtrack is excellent and then some.

Kyoufu

Holy shit, the first 30 seconds of the intro took me by surprise. Didn't expect swearing. :lol

Going to play the first hour and then post some impressions. Really excited :eek:

Kyoufu

The first hour is pretty boring. Just a bunch of fetch quests and going from point A to B. Technically not so delicious with the popup and framerate dips during the tutorial. The combat was actually fun during tutorial though, Grimoire Weiss lets you do some cool attacks.

edit: YONAH IS SOOOO CUTE!

Kyoufu said:
The first hour is pretty boring. Just a bunch of fetch quests and going from point A to B. Technically not so delicious with the popup and framerate dips during the tutorial. The combat was actually fun during tutorial though, Grimoire Weiss lets you do some cool attacks.

edit: YONAH IS SOOOO CUTE!

What platform are you playing on?

RevenantKioku said:
When do we find out if bomba? :S

There is nothing to find out because it certainly will be. Still pathetic to hope for it :(

tokkun

Larsen B said:
The Eurogamer review has me interested.

Seems like the thread's title could be directed at the game itself. Doesn't sound like it knows what it wants to be but what it is sounds different.

Surprised you didn't post this quote from the review:

The gamble with attempting such a variety of gameplay types is that you risk mastery of none, and it's clear from the outset that Cavia's given itself too many balls to juggle. The opening sequence could well have players ejecting the disc before the game proper has even begun, the nameless hero hacking tirelessly at nondescript enemies as they continuously respawn for what seems like half an hour. Later, ill-advised moves into platforming territory fall hopelessly flat, partly thanks to one of the worst jumping animations you'll ever see. And though a few of the dungeons offer inventive puzzles, others lapse into block-pushing tedium, or introduce excessively punitive measures to extend the time spent solving them.

Kyoufu

These boss battles have been really fun and exciting so far. Really digging the combat so far.

Hats off to Cavia for the worst jump animation of all time.

Mejilan

Oh, come on, no one's done a platform technical comparison yet?
Not even on some other techie forums?

Think I've just gone past the halfway point. Wow. They do a good job of changing up the combat after that. I've been playing for 22 hours apparently so maybe I'm further than halfway. I have been taking my time.

Manaka

I had no idea how the game actually plays (only knew what was written about the story), so when the shop I work at got it 2 days ago me and a coworker tried the 360 version and, well... the quoted segment from the eurogamer review happened.

I can't believe why they made the intro like this.
Well, now after reading that only the intro is bland and awful I'm actually interested again

Mejilan

If you mean gameplay differences between Replicant and Gestalt; then they're basically identical except for the age of the main character (and some very minor script differences). If you mean technical different between the PS3 and 360 versions; then that's what I'm trying to find out as well. I'm a multi-console owner, but am unsure which version to buy.

Axiom

Kyoufu said:
The fishing is absolutely horrendous. :(
I can't catch anything but seaweed for the life of me. I must be missing something but goddamn this is not fun at all. I click X and 70% of the time it goes away with nothing happening, I pull in the opposite direction of the fish and nothing happens. It just stays on the line until I screw up. If I try to change where I'm pulling it for a moment, fish gets away.

I never thought I'd wish the difficulty slider in a video game applied to fishing before, completely killed any momentum I had with the game.

Ok, I picked up the PS3 version. It has an hdd install option. I'm doing that right now! Ready for the madness! :D

I picked it up together with GoW3. Clerk was like "Have fun with Nier! And I don't have to wish you that for GoW3." :D

So i'm at the
text adventure thing
and I'm trying to
save the villager in a labyryth. How do i get out ? I always finish drowned.
Any help ?

eXistor

I dunno, I might even pick this up. I'm pretty sure it's a car crash of a game, but you can't keep your eyes from those. It just seems one of those games where nothing really works, but it still manages to grab your attention in weird way. I like that in a game.

Mejilan said:
Oh, come on, no one's done a platform technical comparison yet?
Not even on some other techie forums?

So far I can say that the PS3 version has a rock solid framerate. Graphics are nothing to write home about, but they have a certain charme and get the atmosphere across pretty well. Lighting is not bad, but there is a horrible depth of field effect :lol Water looks relatively nice too.

Soundtrack is great, but sometimes a little bit too epic for the circumstances...

Also :lol @ sheep "hunting" (slashing)

I'm loving it so far.

Top Bottom