• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Amir0x said:
Why did you expect them to be bad?

Monster Hunter 1 and 2 are fantastic. Monster Hunter 3 was destined to be fantastic too!
Cavia made Drakengard 1, Drakengard 2(the better of the two), Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Bullet Witch, the KORG DS-10 games, and the Ghost in the Shell: SAC PS2 game.

john tv

pancakesandsex said:
How much freedom were you given with this project? Did you have some breathing room or were they very strict on wording and whatnot? You've mentioned this as an issue in the past so I'm curious.
We had a little more freedom this time, which was nice. The director of the game was pretty open to our feedback and he trusted us to do the voices in a way that would (hopefully) appeal more to Westerners (rather than get too caught up in the usual JRPG trappings).

Ridley327 said:
I had a feeling you guys were behind it. Keep up the excellent woruku over there!

"Woruku" means work. /MH3
LOL, nice. :)

putarorex

I think my frustration threshhold has been hit with this game. First the fishing, then the
twitch-based puzzles in the desert temple. I got to the boss finally but my finger got tired shooting the blocks :D

I like the combat, the Monster-hunter aspects, and the word-based item leveling, but the story isn't doing it for me and the twitch-based parts of the game are annoying. I just don't have the dexterity and patience for stuff like that anymore (although Demon Souls kept me interested for a while). I might just sell it back to Wonder-goo while the buyback prices are still high.

Axiom

I'm a little stuck having assembled the
Key
and the X is telling me to get on a boat in the village to find the '
Shadowlord's temple
. Except there's no new places to go.
Do I need to do some sidequests before a new destination opens up? I really don't enjoy most of those given half of them want me to get items from the junk heap and I already spent forever there since I got lost in it.

Oh and it appears Golgo 13 took over the game in the forest.

Edit: I'm not really sure I get the praise for the story, the writing and individual dialogue are fantastic but the reveals and pacing seem way off in terms of storytelling. The build up in the Isometric dungeon was incredibly off and the popular "character is hurt in cutscene" to no consequence whatsover is just annoying. It just seems like I'm missing a lot of plot that I'd expect to find in little sidequests or optional in game documents but it just isn't there (at least this playthrough).

But granted I'm not done yet, this could be just like Mass Effect 2, overall story is crap compared to the endgame and individual stories told over the course of the larger plot.

Sacha

Axiom said:
I'm a little stuck having assembled the
Key
and the X is telling me to get on a boat in the village to find the '
Shadowlord's temple
. Except there's no new places to go.
Do I need to do some sidequests before a new destination opens up? I really don't enjoy most of those given half of them want me to get items from the junk heap and I already spent forever there since I got lost in it.

Oh and it appears Golgo 13 took over the game in the forest.

You have to go to the Lost Shrine using the boat. I don't know the exact name of the place since I'm playing in French, but you should have something like "Road to the Lost Shrine".

Ricker

JonStark said:
Yeah, that scene got me too :D This game IS amazing.

Also, for french GAF, here's a french review : http://www.dixiemeart.com/2010/04/24/review-nier/

EDIT : I never played drakengaard, should I get it ?

EDIT 2 : How do I plant seeds ? There's no action possible in the garden...

Ooooh bon site,premiere fois que je le vois,merci :D ...never played the Drakengards either...

putarorex said:
I think my frustration threshhold has been hit with this game. First the fishing, then the
twitch-based puzzles in the desert temple. I got to the boss finally but my finger got tired shooting the blocks :D

I like the combat, the Monster-hunter aspects, and the word-based item leveling, but the story isn't doing it for me and the twitch-based parts of the game are annoying. I just don't have the dexterity and patience for stuff like that anymore (although Demon Souls kept me interested for a while). I might just sell it back to Wonder-goo while the buyback prices are still high.

I`m still hesitating in getting this,the trial and error part are scaring me also now...

Kyoufu said:
I've only played it for 12 hours so far, but the only major downside to the game is the low budget visuals during gameplay. The villages are monotonous, bland, dull with some signs of popup. Otherwise, the script, audio and gameplay are top notch.

Can't really agree with the villages, so far they have been the best looking part of the game for me. Seafront is really cool and has nice lighting. Also there is always something to do in them because of the fun side quests. Haven't seen any pop up in the PS3 version (installed to hdd).The dungeons are not exactly pretty though.

Ico looking town looks also great :)

Still in love with the game. Every JRPG fan should pick this up. I will definitely try to platinum this.

Axiom

Thanks Sacha

Ricker said:
I'm still hesitating in getting this, the trial and error part are scaring me also now...

Given my fishing skill I'm apparently crap at the game, but the desert temple isn't as bad as it sounds. We're just going about describing things in a round about way. That temple is less about timing and more about not doing things. It's easy to pick up on what you can't do, and there's incredibly little penalty for screwing it up - it's just time consuming and I honestly don't think the PS3 analog stick was built to let your character 'inch along' at certain points during it.
Still saying the isometric area is far and away the weakest dungeon so far. It's not just that the combat isn't built for it, but it also comes right after you get access to new stuff you're not used to using in combat - also there's this awful pausing as you enter obscured rooms. It 'removes' the roof to look inside during in the pause, but when you're fighting 10 enemies and darting in and out of the room - annoying.
Also really really wishing they'd gone further with the Mansion's first theme - those paintings, creepy!

As for the boss in question, thank god using magic slows down time.

Wait, what? That "spoiler" is about the
Desert Temple
? I found it pretty awesome and not really difficult. Also the boss can be taken down with the
Dark Lance
pretty fast. No button mashing required. I love how you need to use different magic attacks for the bosses.

wipeout364

Drakengard 2 was OK this looks alright, I may pick it up. I like the look of the replicant character better though. Maybe he will be unlockable.

Amir0x

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Cavia made Drakengard 1, Drakengard 2(the better of the two), Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Bullet Witch, the KORG DS-10 games, and the Ghost in the Shell: SAC PS2 game.

I was in the wrong topic. Ignore my post. NIER is probably exactly as bad as everyone thinks. I thought this was the Monster Hunter thread cause I had the wrong window open :lol

Axiom

Okay just finished it, endgame spoiler here. I may be completely insane and/or mishearing but did
Emil say your characters (and subsequently my) name? That's just nuts

Sacha

Axiom said:
Okay just finished it, endgame spoiler here. I may be completely insane and/or mishearing but did
Emil say your characters (and subsequently my) name? That's just nuts

Haha, really ? I chose
Nier for my name
and I didn't really pay attention to what he said. I'm getting Endings C and D tonight, I'll see then.

Only complaint with the game so far : not so challenging. Getting all the endings isn't hard at all.

green_focus

I'm really enjoying this game (Imported RepliCant). I love the soundtrack. Characters are interesting. Boss fights have been lots of fun. Parts of the game remind me of all the things I love about Demons Souls.

Sacha

Hey, anyone feels that Nier's running animation in
Emile's manor
was inspired by Steiner's (FFIX) one ? :lol

Amir0x said:
I was in the wrong topic. Ignore my post. NIER is probably exactly as bad as everyone thinks. I thought this was the Monster Hunter thread cause I had the wrong window open :lol
Only a few people have openly stated that they think this game is bad. Not anywhere near 'everyone'.

eXistor

After trying it out for a bit I decided to buy it. I'm not feeling bad about it at all, this game is pretty damn cool. Every bad thing I've heard about the game is correct, but it doesn't kill the game at all. The game manages to be fun even when some aspects of the game let it down. Even after only playing it for about 3-4 hours I can safely say this is a far superior game to FFXIII (not that they're even comparable). FFXIII might have great production value anjd such, but it;s severely lacking in the fun department.

Nier is just very fun to play to me. It's got open fields, actual quests to do, items to gather and even the parts where the game just completely shifts genre it doesn't fall flat on its face even though those parts aren't even that good. It's a rare game where every part is done a lot better by many other games, but Nier makes it work in its own unique way. Hell, it's probably got the most interesting story I've seen in a game like this in a long time.

Meier

Who thought it was a good idea to have her be a herm? Seriously Square. Step in and take control if the dev working on your game.

Kyoufu

Meier said:
Who thought it was a good idea to have her be a herm? Seriously Square. Step in and take control if the dev working on your game.

Why do people think she is a herm? I'm confused ;(

Kyoufu

Meier said:
OP and subsequent posts indicate that. Is that wrong?

Nothing in the story so far indicates that she has a penis. I just think people are reading into it a little too much. Could just be crappy crotch modeling!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy shit, been looking at videos of the game and decided to give the music a listen, the opening music is fantastic.

Clevinger

Meier said:

Why is it bad? It's certainly more interesting than a generic female warrior.

Meier said:
Why, exactly, is it NOT a good idea for a character to be a hermaphrodite? And the proper term is 'intersex', btw. Get with the times.

obonicus

ZephyrFate said:
And the proper term is 'intersex', btw. Get with the times.

I'm not sure real-world intersexed would want to be grouped with whatever you'd call a girl who has a penis because of demon possession. (Wasn't that the famitsu rumor?)

Oyashiro

Alright GAF, I did it. I caved in. Just got back from picking this up at GameStop. I hope I didn't make a mistake :p

Just wondering, what's the max level in this game? 15 minutes in and I'm already level 30 :lol Seems kinda weird. I just defeated the first boss. Or maybe mini-boss.

Speaking of herm (which is an amazing marketing gag imo), what did Kainé tell the boy after leaving the mansion???
Camera shot of his pants, etc.
XD

Story is getting better and better, holy shit at what just happened oO.

Also the
Text
Adventure part was fucking brilliant.

Here is a complete achievement list, this will take some time. (spoiler obviously)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2896532/nier_achievement_list_xbox_360.html?cat=19

Oyashiro said:
Alright GAF, I did it. I caved in. Just got back from picking this up at GameStop. I hope I didn't make a mistake :p

Just wondering, what's the max level in this game? 15 minutes in and I'm already level 30 :lol Seems kinda weird. I just defeated the first boss. Or maybe mini-boss.

Play more than 5 minutes before posting on GAF ;)

eXistor said:
After trying it out for a bit I decided to buy it. I'm not feeling bad about it at all, this game is pretty damn cool. Every bad thing I've heard about the game is correct, but it doesn't kill the game at all. The game manages to be fun even when some aspects of the game let it down. Even after only playing it for about 3-4 hours I can safely say this is a far superior game to FFXIII (not that they're even comparable). FFXIII might have great production value anjd such, but it;s severely lacking in the fun department.

Nier is just very fun to play to me. It's got open fields, actual quests to do, items to gather and even the parts where the game just completely shifts genre it doesn't fall flat on its face even though those parts aren't even that good. It's a rare game where every part is done a lot better by many other games, but Nier makes it work in its own unique way. Hell, it's probably got the most interesting story I've seen in a game like this in a long time.

You've seen nothing after 4 hours, trust me. The game gets waaay better after a few more hours ;) Also I don't really see the genre mix people are talking about. It's more of an RPG than anything else.

Oyashiro

1.5 hours in. So far, it's pretty boring, but I'm really liking the voice acting and dialogue. Also, graphics really aren't as bad as everyone says. It's no FFXIII, but it's passable. I hope the combat gets a little more fun too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So.... Fun game? Is it "too ambitious therefore it fails" like what the other reviews have said? If so... What does the "too ambitious" part mean? :p

Sacha

ULTROS! said:
So.... Fun game? Is it "too ambitious therefore it fails" like what the other reviews have said? If so... What does the "too ambitious" part mean? :p

They are referring to the fact that Nier blends a lot of genres : action-RPG, hack and slash, shooter,
sound novel
, with a lot of side-quests, some puzzles, a bit of platforming and a twist of Zelda and
Resident Evil
. I don't think it's too ambitious because every one of these things is so well implemented, you don't feel like the different gameplay segments are cut off from one another. And there's always a sense of consistency with the place and/or the story. And while the combat system isn't particularly deep, it's specifically what keeps the game fun and diversified. I mean, this game just keeps throwing things at you, it's incredible.

Top Bottom