• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Also, am I the only one who laughs when Nier jumps from a high ledge and falls? I don't know why, but the way he "lands" cracks me up.

I think that (ending A spoilers)
Emil sacrificing himself is possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen in a video game. It's so incredibly well done. The way his voice becomes quiet and broken and how the voice actor delivers the lines is just heartbreaking. Seen it twice now and it's just so sad :(

Damn, getting the "max out 30 weapons" trophy will be a mad grind :( Also nobody on the net seems to have an idea on how to get the "flower" trophy yet. I guess I will take a short break from the game and play a bit GoW3.

Baloonatic said:
I think that (ending A spoilers)
Emil sacrificing himself is possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen in a video game. It's so incredibly well done. The way his voice becomes quiet and broken and how the voice actor delivers the lines is just heartbreaking. Seen it twice now and it's just so sad :(

I usually don't give a shit about "emotional" scenes in videogames, but that scene was indeed heartbreaking.

Also wow @ (ending A spoilers)
Popola and Devola! They always struck me as odd during the storyline so I loved this.

FateBreaker said:
Also, am I the only one who laughs when Nier jumps from a high ledge and falls? I don't know why, but the way he "lands" cracks me up.

lol, yeah. Can be avoided by double jumping at the end of the fall. Even better when adding evade. True physics!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy crap :lol

slight NPC spoiler
the junk heap boy pulling out his brother's arm. SICK
:lol

hampig said:
I don't know, the first line in No More Heroes was pretty good.

Which is agreed but for not knowing much of anything concerning this game only for it to be opened with that was... well incredible.

Also I played a little over 6 hours and just reached the
desert town
How far in the game am I?

I ran into a glitch in the junkyard also. I had to exit and re-enter so that enemies would re-appear and get the last piece of materials I needed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey guys, a little help would be appreciated.

I work at Best Buy and we set up this (amazingly awesome) "battle zone" with 10 TVs. We'll open up new games and put them up for people to play day of release. We got 5 360s, 4 PS3s, and 1 Wii. We got up all of this week's big releases but I'm wondering if the content in Nier would be too much.

I mean we put up the new Dead to Rights and Splinter Cell, we just watch who is playing the games and card them if they're young. How does Nier compare to those? Is it so bad that we shouldn't put it up at all? And are there any options to tone down the M-rated content?

omg rite said:
Hey guys, a little help would be appreciated.

I work at Best Buy and we set up this (amazingly awesome) "battle zone" with 10 TVs. We'll open up new games and put them up for people to play day of release. We got 5 360s, 4 PS3s, and 1 Wii. We got up all of this week's big releases but I'm wondering if the content in Nier would be too much.

I mean we put up the new Dead to Rights and Splinter Cell, we just watch who is playing the games and card them if they're young. How does Nier compare to those? Is it so bad that we shouldn't put it up at all? And are there any options to tone down the M-rated content?

You should be a-ok. The combat is really not that bloody at all compared those two. The only questionable content might be Kaine's butt hanging out all the time.

On another note, I think this might be the best damn soundtrack I have heard in years. Has Okabe Keiichi done anything even half this awesome in the past? I don't remember Tekken's jams being half this great.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Which is agreed but for not knowing much of anything concerning this game only for it to be opened with that was... well incredible.

Also I played a little over 6 hours and just reached the
desert town
How far in the game am I?

I ran into a glitch in the junkyard also. I had to exit and re-enter so that enemies would re-appear and get the last piece of materials I needed.

You're not very far.

Also this is not a glitch, the titanium alloy is a rare drop.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ridley327 said:
As a fellow Best Buy employee, I need to remind you that we aren't supposed to display M-rated content at all.

Controllers are only given to those that are carded on M-rated games and we have giant ESRB signs in front of the TVs. The store asked all the proper sources. Others in the area are starting to do it too. :p

seaandthebells said:
You should be a-ok. The combat is really not that bloody at all compared those two. The only questionable content might be Kaine's butt hanging out all the time.

On another note, I think this might be the best damn soundtrack I have heard in years. Has Okabe Keiichi done anything even half this awesome in the past? I don't remember Tekken's jams being half this great.

Thanks! I'll probably throw it up today.

schennmu said:
You're not very far.

Also this is not a glitch, the titanium alloy is a rare drop.

Well then its just a poor decision imo. They send you in there for three, they should at least give that to you for that mission without having to re-enter, simple because the game never states otherwise.

As for being not very far! AWESOME!!!! Thats what I like to hear. I just felt like I was going places pretty fast! So I just got to Facade and overall I've loved what I played but people are saying this is where the game really starts to pick up... which if true...HELL YEAH!

Also the soundtrack is AMAZING! One of the best I have heard in a LONG LONG TIME!

matmanx1

First hour or two of the game felt pretty "meh" and the rough graphics and animation did not help. However once I got Weiss I started to enjoy myself. That book is a great character and I like the way his powers are used.

I also have to give props to the music and the voice acting. Both have been pretty great so far. I am definitely motivated to continue playing and see where the story will take these characters.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well then its just a poor decision imo. They send you in there for three, they should at least give that to you for that mission without having to re-enter, simple because the game never states otherwise.

Yep, I was also a little confused about that. I guess it's the game's way of introducing the player to rare materials.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
As for being not very far! AWESOME!!!! Thats what I like to hear. I just felt like I was going places pretty fast! So I just got to Facade and overall I've loved what I played but people are saying this is where the game really starts to pick up... which if true...HELL YEAH!

Also the soundtrack is AMAZING! One of the best I have heard in a LONG LONG TIME!

Also check out some of the side quests, some of the dialogue and characters are hilarious :)

And yeah, no surprise that not many people are playing this game. Still quite a shame!

Kyoufu

Nier will go down as the most under-rated, overlooked RPG gem of this generation. I shall pass this game onto my children, with stories of its awesomeness.

schennmu said:
Also check out some of the side quests, some of the dialogue and characters are hilarious :)

And yeah, no surprise that not many people are playing this game. Still quite a shame!

Yeah I have been doing side quests. Completed most the ones I can, the ones I have now are mostly getting materials I don't have. I even did two of the fishing sides quests from the fisherman, but I have no idea how to get the third fish he wants!

Yeah this title is a definite sleeper hit for me. It reminds me of a few games actually. Zelda, Shadow of Collosus, Contra, and a few others all wrapped up in one.

Kyoufu said:
Nier will go down as the most under-rated, overlooked RPG gem of this generation. I shall pass this game onto my children, with stories of its awesomeness.

As we all should sir, as we all should! I can see many people picking this up when its twenty or thirty dollars months from now and saying "Holy shit! This is good!"

I bought the game at full price to support cavia and "excentric" game localizations in general. Sure I love me some God of War or Uncharted from time to time, but the gaming world would be boring without the occasional little underground gem.
Imagine the film industry with only Michael Bay movies. Scary ... Sadly enought, it's going this route :(. Well, the more we should enjoy Nier :)

This thread is great for the fish locations: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/nier/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-54426115&pid=960450

Geneijin

Kyoufu said:

Or some people might waiting on the K-Mart rumor at CAG. Nier for $45, online and in-store between 5/4-5/10 supposedly.

The Interrobanger said:
Is there any gameplay footage out there uploaded by fans? I wanna see the general vibe of the game without PR bullshit and flashy transitions.

www.youtube.com/slasherjpc account. Its the NIER first impressions on the spot! part 1 and 2. Granted the games setting looks extremely different then what is in the intro but it gives you an idea of the gameplay, voice acting, production value, etc.

I do stupid commentary throughout though, because my fans like it, but its the intro and the opening moments of the game. So just ignore the commentary!

schennmu said:
I bought the game at full price to support cavia and "excentric" game localizations in general. Sure I love me some God of War or Uncharted from time to time, but the gaming world would be boring without the occasional little underground gem.
Imagine the film industry with only Michael Bay movies. Scary ... Sadly enought, it's going this route :(. Well, the more we should enjoy Nier :)

This thread is great for the fish locations: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/nier/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-54426115&pid=960450

Very good sir. Thanks for the fish locations!

mjc

Geneijin said:
Or some people might waiting on the K-Mart rumor at CAG. Nier for $45, online and in-store between 5/4-5/10 supposedly.
I'll definitely bite if that rumor is true.

eXistor

Having played the game for a few hours a day for the the last 4 days or so, I can now safely say this game is fucking great. At first I had to get used to some things in the game like a general lack of polish. Now that I'm more than used to it I don't even notice it anymore and I love jus about everything about the game. The one bad point are the sidequests. There's too much running around and they're basically all just fetch-quests. What I love so much about it is that it does whatever the fuck it wants. One moment I'm
playing an interactive novel
, the next I'm
running around in a black and white version of the Resident Evil 1 mansion
. I love it. Oh and the boss battles are truly epic. Aside from SotC, maybe even the most epic I've seen. I understand God of War has some epic battles, but from what I've seen they lack any kind of emotional connection, which NIER most definitely has.

When the game was just released I was iffy about it, but only because I wasn't aware of the game enough and I really didn't want another game to play (my backlog is now absurdly long). I'm so glad I did buy it, it's probably not gonna be my goty, but it sure secured a place in the top 10 if not 5.

Kyoufu said:
I'm willing to bet a fair amount of people are still wary about Nier and have some nagging doubts about paying full price for it, so they are waiting for a price drop. I'm certainly sold on the game, but lack of cash combined with lots of small concerns about the game mean that I'm not comfortable spending more than £20 on it.

Edit: Just seen the intro movie and it shows
Kaine getting stabbed through the chest with a massive spear
. Is that a massive spoiler for her
death
scene later on in the game they thoughtlessly shoved in the intro? Feel free to let me know
if she survives
, if the story is going to be spoilt for me in advance I'd rather know what happens regarding her.

Grinding for the 1.000.000 trophy... Boring! :D

Azure Phoenix said:
I'm willing to bet a fair amount of people are still wary about Nier and have some nagging doubts about paying full price for it, so they are waiting for a price drop. I'm certainly sold on the game, but lack of cash combined with lots of small concerns about the game mean that I'm not comfortable spending more than £20 on it.

Edit: Just seen the intro movie and it shows
Kaine getting stabbed through the chest with a massive spear
. Is that a massive spoiler for her
death
scene later on in the game they thoughtlessly shoved in the intro? Feel free to let me know
if she survives
, if the story is going to be spoilt for me in advance I'd rather know what happens regarding her.

Nah, don't worry about that scene!

Mudo

Help GAF! I am buying this in 15 minutes and have no idea which platform to get. Which did you all pick up?

Waiting for the first person (or second if I'm caught sleeping) to put their copy up for sale.
I'm loving everything I'm hearing about the game but Jeeze I just got a PS3 and six or nine games less than two weeks ago.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ridley327 said:
As a fellow Best Buy employee, I need to remind you that we aren't supposed to display M-rated content at all.
The Best Buy near me has all games on display, including the M-rated ones. I think they card you when you buy the game. It's weird when they do that to me. I might look young for a 36 year old, but not that young.

Ridley327

Darkmakaimura said:
The Best Buy near me has all games on display, including the M-rated ones. I think they card you when you buy the game. It's weird when they do that to me. I might look young for a 36 year old, but not that young.

I meant for demo purposes. We'd never lock games up for being M-rated; the register prompt takes care of that for us.

I'm surprised people are having such a terrible time fishing in this game; it's a looooooooooooooot easier than OoT.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ridley327 said:
I meant for demo purposes. We'd never lock games up for being M-rated; the register prompt takes care of that for us.

I'm surprised people are having such a terrible time fishing in this game; it's a looooooooooooooot easier than OoT.
Whoops... Yeah, now that I think about it almost all the games in the demo kiosks were E through T rated.

Geneijin

ZephyrFate said:
Anyone know what language most of the vocals are sung in? It's killing me because it's so god damn beautiful.
I would like to know as well. So far though, it sounds like a fictional language.

Surprised Emi Evans or her site hasn't been added to the OP yet.

Excerpt taken from http://www.emievans.net/
Emi was asked to sing and create lyrics in several different futuristic languages, each which sounded slightly recognizable - alien sounding languages with echoes of French or Spanish, Gaelic, Portuguese, Italian or Japanese etc.

Emi thus had great fun researching these various languages and then respectfully manipulating them to take on a life of their own. She would have liked to have been able to revive a few dying and semi-forgotten tribal languages through this project but often was working on a very last minute schedule and regretfully lacked the time and resources to do so.

Just got done getting the final ending in Drakengard to "prepare" myself for this. Drakengard is not a great game, but it was totally worth playing, and I hope there are some cool tie ins.

Installing Nier now, nice to see the install was optional (ps3.)

<3 Kainé & Weiss talking to each other :D

2yubwvq.jpg

So, for someone who has hated every game Cavia has made... do you guys think I'd like this?

I have the soundtrack, by the way.. and the music is freakin' amazing.

Drinky Crow said:
this game is awesome. jesus i need this ost

hmm you were right about deadly premonition but i'm really leery this time. i mean, we are talking about a cavia game here.

i do agree about the music though. from what i've heard it's fantastic.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EDarkness said:
Does the Japanese PS3 version have any English i it?
I'm pretty sure that is a no, but if you want to play Replicant in English you'll have to see if the Asian release has it as an option when it's released.

Ok so I think I hit was is about the middle of the game and it just went all bat shit insane! NIER... what a fucking awesome surprise you are! I love it!

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone here have both the US Nier and the JPN Nier Replicant for PS3? I'm wondering if the PS3 registers them as 2 separate games as far as trophies go. Thanks!

Ricker

Just reached the part just after you meet Kaine for the first time last evening and this game is pretty freakin great so far,I love it,wow what a surprise this is turning out to be...2 small pet peeves so far,mentionned a few times here also,some of the chanting,on a 10 second loop,is a little annoying but the rest of the music is so awesome that i`ll forgive that,and the hit animation on your guy,from the the little bugger shades in the field that send you flying back about 15 feet when they kick you hehe...

WickedLaharl said:
hmm you were right about deadly premonition but i'm really leery this time. i mean, we are talking about a cavia game here.

i do agree about the music though. from what i've heard it's fantastic.
I`ll bet you anything you are going to like this game dude ;) :D

Kyoufu

InfiniteNine said:
I'm pretty sure that is a no, but if you want to play Replicant in English you'll have to see if the Asian release has it as an option when it's released.

The official website confirms no English subtitles for Replicant. Asia gets both Replicant and Gestalt. Only Gestalt is in English.

Top Bottom