• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Volcynika

Well my copy should be waiting on me when I get home. Ordered it from Amazon on impulse (and got $10 credit!), so hoping it's good!

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
Who knew that drifting on a boar would be soooooo fun :D
even cooler the fact that it is missing its tusk via the sub quest. BUT i swear I ganked him for his meat...unless he is IMMORTAL o_O or UNDEAD...either way its still awesome (until you hit a cliff)

Volcynika said:
Well my copy should be waiting on me when I get home. Ordered it from Amazon on impulse (and got $10 credit!), so hoping it's good!

Just note the begining is a little slow.

As for issues I have with the game. It mostly stems from backtracking but really you move so fast and the world is put together well enough its never really bothered me much. Also for people wanting to do side quests, there is a definite point of no return at least for the first half of sidequests.

Volcynika

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just note the begining is a little slow.

As for issues I have with the game. It mostly stems from backtracking but really you move so fast and the world is put together well enough its never really bothered me much. Also for people wanting to do side quests, there is a definite point of no return at least for the first half of sidequests.

How are sidequests given/found? Just freely exploring before heading to the next story related area, or is it like "hey you can do this now, so check it out"

Volcynika said:
How are sidequests given/found? Just freely exploring before heading to the next story related area, or is it like "hey you can do this now, so check it out"

Any character that has a side quest, when getting near them have like a talk bubble with some scribbles on it. Its pretty obvious once you get close enough. Most of the quests involve either getting items to someone to make something for themselves, or finding someone, etc. Usually your rewarded with cash, though in one instance so far I was awarded with a new weapon.

Also there is one person in the town at one point you can get quests from but only one at a time. Its a little tedious for her because for some reason it ONLY lets you get one from her and not all at once, and sometimes her quests lead to the same areas. Considering I don't have a form of fast travel at this point (not sure if you get one at all but I think perhaps you do) it leads to going back and forth alot.

Also for people that have played pretty far in the game....
I just got to subject 6 in the game
would you say I'm about half way now or a little bit more?

eXistor

DarknessTear said:
So, for someone who has hated every game Cavia has made... do you guys think I'd like this?

I have the soundtrack, by the way.. and the music is freakin' amazing.
I'm no Cavia fan (only played Drakengard and hated it), but Nier has made me one. I'm eagerly awaiting their next title based off of Nier alone. It really is something special.

Ricker

Speaking of sidequests hehe,I keep dropping that delivery package quest but it`s cool they way they let you know,with the banter between Weiss and your character,well done and sarcastic/funny...lot of little touches like this that I was not expecting from the game...also waited on that Boar,Weiss keeps telling me,are you sure you are strong enough,....level 6 only so next time i`ll try him.

Ridley327

Weiss really is awesome; the progressive banter with him and Nier when you take on new fishing quests is wonderful.

"SHHHHH, YOU'RE SCARING THEM AWAY!"

Xater

Man!ac (Germany) gave the game 82%

Just posting because this and the two score on gamerankings are the only ones I know of. I'm not sure if I should try this game.

Mudo

I ended up getting the 360 version last night. So far I haven't had any kind of performance problems or anything so it seems like a solid decision. I played about 3 hours and <3 this game so far. The music elevates the entire experience to another level for me. I read a review that compared the setting to Twilight Princess crossed with Shadow of the Colossus. I am definitely getting a SotC vibe from the world and I love that.

I read a lot of places that the graphics are not good but I have loved them as well. Lots of big open spaces, and while things are not massively detailed, it seems like it's that way on purpose to me. The architecture in the first town wouldn't really make sense if it looked much different IMO. It's very medieval and hits that on the HEAD.

Combat is OK so far, nothing amazing but it's fun enough. The story and VA are interesting and I can't wait to see what happens when I play tonight!

Sin

Really enjoying the game so far, its quite a surprise how it turned out after my initial skepticism towards it.

eXistor

Xater said:

Just posting because this and the two score on gamerankings are the only ones I know of. I'm not sure if I should try this game.
It's being really well received in Holland and Belgium from what I can tell. Insidegamer.nl gives it a 9 as does gamer.nl. Belgian mag Chief gives it an 8.6.

I think I will pick up Replicant at one point down the line. Even though I think the whole story and dialogue feels "right" as old father.

Currently working on the "legendary flower" trophy. What a bitch...

Xater said:

Maniac is pretty decent so that's a great score.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also for people that have played pretty far in the game....
I just got to subject 6 in the game
would you say I'm about half way now or a little bit more?

Half way is the point where
spears and two handed swords
are unlocked.

My copy arrived yesterday, and I started playing it immediately. I didn't have too much time, but really enjoyed what little I was able to play. It's not the best action game ever made, but it's clearly made with a lot of love.

The audio in particular really caught my ear. Not only is the soundtrack just wonderful, but the developers went through extra trouble here and there to make certain that it's used effectively. For example, Devolah's song (the town theme) has the vocals muted until the player is within a certain distance of her, where one discovers that not only is Devolah playing the song, but she's singing it as well. If you talk to her, the vocals drop out for the duration of your conversation with her - clearly she's using her mouth for something other than singing, temporarily. She continues strumming her mandolin, though, and when the conversation ends, goes back to singing, and the vocals return to the song.

They also went through the trouble of syncing BGM transitions. The BGM played outside in the town shares a common melody with the BGM played inside the library. As the player enters the library, the two songs crossfade, both at the same point in the shared melody. A lot of games wouldn't bother to sync the transition like this. They'd either cut to silence, fade one song out and then the other in, or crossfade without paying attention to the fact that they have a common melody that they could sync.

The camera transitions are really well done, too, with the game moving seamlessly between free-camera 3d action and overhead or side-scrolling views. The camera moves smoothly to the appropriate position at the appropriate times, and then locks there, with intervening geometry automatically removing itself as appropriate. It's handled quite smoothly and transparently.

I was worried a bit that the game would be too "engineered" for Western audiences, and originally ordered Replicant. The English trailer showing off Kaine's VA, however, convinced me to also pick up a copy of the North American release, as well, and that's the one I've been playing "while I wait for Replicant to arrive". I find the Old Ogre much more endearing than I expected, the localisation is top-notch, the voice work is great... I expect at this point even if Replicant arrives before I finish Gestalt, I will probably not even touch it until I've finished what I've started.

To be honest, I went into this not expecting much. I picked the game up for the wonderful soundtrack and the incredibly hot futa sidekick battling monsters in her undergarments while swearing a lot. I had absolutely no expectations that anything else would be worth appreciating, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Volcynika said:

I'm in the same boat. I MAY start it tonight, after the game arrives, but SSFIV might prevent me from doing so. We'll see!

^^remilia^^ said:
The audio in particular really caught my ear. Not only is the soundtrack just wonderful, but the developers went through extra trouble here and there to make certain that it's used effectively. For example, Devolah's song (the town theme) has the vocals muted until the player is within a certain distance of her, where one discovers that not only is Devolah playing the song, but she's singing it as well. If you talk to her, the vocals drop out for the duration of your conversation with her - clearly she's using her mouth for something other than singing, temporarily. She continues strumming her mandolin, though, and when the conversation ends, goes back to singing, and the vocals return to the song.
Small things like that really means the developer has been putting some efforts into the game. Now I'm sold!

eXistor

^^remilia^^ said:
To be honest, I went into this not expecting much. I picked the game up for the wonderful soundtrack and the incredibly hot futa sidekick battling monsters in her undergarments while swearing a lot. I had absolutely no expectations that anything else would be worth appreciating, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.
And it just keeps getting better and better, trust me.

Axiom

Old argument but the more I think about & have distance from the game's plot, I still don't quite grasp why walking through hell for your sister is easier to relate to than doing it for your daughter. I love my sisters and all but I shouldn't think they'd expect me to fight Godzilla for them, distract Godzilla maybe, but go at it with a sword?
I don't have kids, but if Godzilla is coming to kill your kid I'd imagine most guys can conceive at running headlong at it with a sword in testosterone fulled protecting rage. As dumb as that is, we still largely have those instincts and thus I imagine understand it.
After all, protecting and providing for the kids is the drilled in society expectation of a father since time began, we also have that drilled into us to protect our wives and children in general.
Unless the sister is a love interest in a weird way, it don't make much sense to me, and even then I sure as hell don't find that easier to relate to.

Playing as Nick Nolte isn't an ideal avenue for that sure, but better Nick Nolte than incestual undercurrent in your protagonist if there's an option.

I'd go as far to say the story as intended is meant to have Nick Nolte if it weren't for some of the stuff in Drakengard.

Great game either way, but I don't rightly understand a preference for the Asian version in this case. This isn't Yakuza 3.

Axiom said:
Old argument but the more I think about & have distance from the game's plot, I still don't quite grasp why walking through hell for your sister is easier to relate to than doing it for your daughter. I love my sisters and all but I shouldn't think they'd expect me to fight Godzilla for them, distract Godzilla maybe, but go at it with a sword?
I don't have kids, but if Godzilla is coming to kill your kid I'd imagine most guys can conceive at running headlong at it with a sword in testosterone fulled protecting rage. As dumb as that is, we still largely have those instincts and thus I imagine understand it.
After all, protecting and providing for the kids is the drilled in society expectation of a father since time began, we also have that drilled into us to protect our wives and children in general.
Unless the sister is a love interest in a weird way, it don't make much sense to me, and even then I sure as hell don't find that easier to relate to.

Playing as Nick Nolte isn't an ideal avenue for that sure, but better Nick Nolte than incestual undercurrent in your protagonist if there's an option.

I'd go as far to say the story as intended is meant to have Nick Nolte if it weren't for some of the stuff in Drakengard.

Great game either way, but I don't rightly understand a preference for the Asian version in this case. This isn't Yakuza 3.

I take this with a grain of salt, but the devs have said in interviews that Nolte-dad was the original and they changed it for Japan, but I wouldn't put it past them to lie through their teeth. Honestly I don't care. I'm enjoying Nolte-dad quite a bit so far.

Jomjom

Banned
No one here has bought both Nier Replicant and Nier US yet? Really curious if these two count as 2 completely different games for trophy purposes. I think usually JPN and US versions of games usually share the same trophy set right? Nier seems like it would be a special case since Replicant and Gestalt are different in more ways than just the translation.

I'm interested in getting this, but I only want the version with the mind-fuck hermaphrodite story. I know for sure that the Japanese PS3 version, Nier Replicant, will guarantee me this, but what about the US PS3 version? Is that just like the 360 version or is it like Replicant in English? Wait, does the 360 version have mind-fuck hermaphrodites too? And I read that the JP Nier Replicant has an English option? This shit is so confusing..

Cep

Banned
Someone please explain to me this Hermaphrodite thing.

I mean, it is not like I would like the game more/less but people keep on saying all sorts of shot.

Cep said:

I mean, it is not like I would like the game more/less but people keep on saying all sorts of shot.

The chick in the undies, Kaine, is a hermaphrodite. Don't know how it comes into play in the game yet, but that's the story according to the creator guys they interviewed.

john tv

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm interested in getting this, but I only want the version with the mind-fuck hermaphrodite story. I know for sure that the Japanese PS3 version, Nier Replicant, will guarantee me this, but what about the US PS3 version? Is that just like the 360 version or is it like Replicant in English? Wait, does the 360 version have mind-fuck hermaphrodites too? And I read that the JP Nier Replicant has an English option? This shit is so confusing..
Story is exactly the same -- the *only* differences between Replicant and the others are A) the main character is a boy instead of a man, and B) the voices are in Japanese instead of English. Some of the dialogue is slightly different because the main character is Yonah's brother rather than her father, but it's nothing major, and nothing you'd understand unless you were super fluent in Japanese anyway.

Cep said:

It's totally overblown is what it is. :) It does come up in the story briefly (maybe not on the first playthrough, I honestly forget), but it's not a major aspect of the game at all. If they didn't mention it in some of the pre-release PR stuff, most people wouldn't even know about it.

Ridley327

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @
the Zelda reference at the end of the sand dungeon.
That whole dungeon from start to finish was great.

john tv said:
Story is exactly the same -- the *only* differences between Replicant and the others are A) the main character is a boy instead of a man, and B) the voices are in Japanese instead of English. Some of the dialogue is slightly different because the main character is Yonah's brother rather than her father, but it's nothing major, and nothing you'd understand unless you were super fluent in Japanese anyway.

It's totally overblown is what it is. :) It does come up in the story briefly (maybe not on the first playthrough, I honestly forget), but it's not a major aspect of the game at all. If they didn't mention it in some of the pre-release PR stuff, most people wouldn't even know about it.

So I noticed that replicant doesn't begin with the Kaine voice over like Gestalt/the US version does. Was that your idea or something they whipped up over at cavia?

john tv

pancakesandsex said:
So I noticed that replicant doesn't begin with the Kaine voice over like Gestalt/the US version does. Was that your idea or something they whipped up over at cavia?
That wasn't us, no. Dunno if it was SQEX or cavia in the end.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
How is this game doing?
Because I'd love to see it do well. There aren't enough zany games out there. And I have a secret burn in my heart for the DOOD games.
But I'm too broke to get it at full price and if it bomba'd and will be in the cheapo bin at Sofmap tomorrow I won't be crying exactly...

Xater

eXistor said:
It's being really well received in Holland and Belgium from what I can tell. Insidegamer.nl gives it a 9 as does gamer.nl. Belgian mag Chief gives it an 8.6.

Huh good to know. When I see a good deal I think I'll get it.

I finished my second playthrough last night and damn is it worth it finishing this game multiple times. There are tons of new scenes (mainly explaining the story behind the bosses... you will shit bricks!) and also the back story of Kainé + the new ending of course.

Still not bored, will tackle the third playthrough today :D

RevenantKioku said:
How is this game doing?
Because I'd love to see it do well. There aren't enough zany games out there. And I have a secret burn in my heart for the DOOD games.
But I'm too broke to get it at full price and if it bomba'd and will be in the cheapo bin at Sofmap tomorrow I won't be crying exactly...

Check the media create thread. Was on top spot in Japan last week. Too early to comment on Europe or US, but it has a hard time I guess. And seriously, this masterpiece deserves your money, do it!

jling84 said:
No one here has bought both Nier Replicant and Nier US yet? Really curious if these two count as 2 completely different games for trophy purposes. I think usually JPN and US versions of games usually share the same trophy set right? Nier seems like it would be a special case since Replicant and Gestalt are different in more ways than just the translation.

I don't think trophies/achievements are done very well in this game, they are no fun (Mad grinding, etc.) I'm only doing them because the game is so awesome.

"legendary flower" ... Bronze tropy?? Really?? Shit should have been gold, this can take forever to get...

Kishgal

Banned
I want to enjoy this game, because other stuff about it seems pretty cool, but... the simplistic combat and sheer volume of enemies faced in succession are really trying my patience. I'm not very far in - maybe about 2 hours, got the book and played some after - but does the combat get more interesting later on?

Kishgal said:
I want to enjoy this game, because other stuff about it seems pretty cool, but... the simplistic combat and sheer volume of enemies faced in succession are really trying my patience. I'm not very far in - maybe about 2 hours, got the book and played some after - but does the combat get more interesting later on?

The combat will ramp up and you will get other weapon types. Still this is more of an RPG than an action game imo. It's not trying to be Bayonetta and it does not have to, because it has other things going for it.

Sacha

Kishgal said:

It gets more interesting with the magic skills you'll gain and the other weapon types. What I feel is well played is the way you must use what you have depending on the enemy and his attacks, the camera view, and so on. The gameplay never gets boring, it only gets better. It's particularly true for the bosses.

Kishgal

Banned
schennmu said:
The combat will ramp up and you will get other weapon types. Still this is more of an RPG than an action game imo. It's not trying to be Bayonetta and it does not have to, because it has other things going for it.
RPGs need to be fun to play just like any other game. Combat is still important in them as you spend plenty of time fighting.

Anyway, I will keep playing in hopes that it grows on me.

Kishgal said:
RPGs need to be fun to play just like any other game. Combat is still important in them as you spend plenty of time fighting.

Anyway, I will keep playing in hopes that it grows on me.

Well, it's definitely fun, just not ultra deep.

hmm glad I stuff with the game, awful first hour or two. its kind of the opposite of FFXIII which is a good thing in my book.

But what does levelling do? I dont see any hit points or other stats, does it just unlock extra magic?

cleveridea said:
hmm glad I stuff with the game, awful first hour or two. its kind of the opposite of FFXIII which is a good thing in my book.

But what does levelling do? I dont see any hit points or other stats, does it just unlock extra magic?

Your magic bar and health bar increase. I also think you end up doing more damage as well.

Ridley327 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @
the Zelda reference at the end of the sand dungeon.
That whole dungeon from start to finish was great.

This had me rolling! :D :lol

sarcoa

Have any other North American outlets received a review copy? SquareEnix PR is usually pretty on time with getting those out, but I don't even see any NA reviews on metacritic.

Regardless I think I'm going to pick it up today. I honestly wasn't expecting much from Nier, but the impressions in this thread are relatively awesome.

cleveridea said:

There is a status screen hidden in the options somewhere. All kinds of stats increase.

edit: swimming would be useless so why waste ressources on it.

Volcynika said:
Why can't the man hero swim! Silly developers.

Will post thoughts later, only finished the first dungeon.

So early, give it more time! It continues to open up more gameplay options, even at the half way point.

Top Bottom