• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ah, screw it. I've got tons of Amazon credit.
I just essentially ordered the PS3 version for free.

Baker

Banned
Mejilan said:
Ah, screw it. I've got tons of Amazon credit.
I just essentially ordered the PS3 version for free.
I just preordered the 360 version after reading about this craziness. I guess we can compare notes since no one will talk about the performance differences.

Kyoufu

Well from the lack of comparisons I doubt there any differences worth noting. I'm happy with the PS3 version at least. I imagine the 360 version is the same.

I'm 3/5 endings on Drakengard. Been trying to complete it before this comes out. Going for the last 2 endings tonight. Can't wait to see the infamous ending E. I have not spoiled myself on youtube, although I have heard about what happens. If Nier's plot is even close to how warped Drakengard is then I am going to love it.

pancakesandsex said:
I'm 3/5 endings on Drakengard. Been trying to complete it before this comes out. Going for the last 2 endings tonight. Can't wait to see the infamous ending E. I have not spoiled myself on youtube, although I have heard about what happens. If Nier's plot is even close to how warped Drakengard is then I am going to love it.

Is there a real difference between endings at this point ? I heard that in NG+ some scenes were seen from a different point of view too.

JonStark said:
Is there a real difference between endings at this point ? I heard that in NG+ some scenes were seen from a different point of view too.

I'm not sure you actually read my post....

The endings in Drakengard are completely different from each other, each one more bleak than the last. It also doesn't really have a "new game +" You just pick alternate paths from the chapter select menu.

Sacha

Endgame spoiler question : What's the deal with
Devola and Popola fighting Nier in the castle ? Didn't they put him on the path to the Shadowlord with the Incomplete Stone stuff ?

eXistor

schennmu said:
You've seen nothing after 4 hours, trust me. The game gets waaay better after a few more hours ;) Also I don't really see the genre mix people are talking about. It's more of an RPG than anything else.
Well, I've already played 2d platforming and bullethell segments mixed in with the, admittedly largest part of, rpg'ing, so that's some pretty large genre-mixing right there. I'm not sure if this is gonna play a larger part later on, but I think it works really well.

Anyway I'm off to play again!

Mejilan

Baker said:
I just preordered the 360 version after reading about this craziness. I guess we can compare notes since no one will talk about the performance differences.

Theoretically a fantastic idea... except that I'm not sure that I'll actually be playing it any time soon! :/

Kyoufu

Mejilan said:
Theoretically a fantastic idea... except that I'm not sure that I'll actually be playing it any time soon! :/

If I converted your backlog into grains of rice, I could feed Africa for a year.

I saw a livestream of this a few days ago. The story and music seem to be the main reasons I'd play it. The gameplay looks kind of like a second-rate Red Star.

Mejilan

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is this game in stores tomorrow or wednesday?

My GameStop seems to think it hits tomorrow, together with Street Fighter.
That's not exactly usual for SE games in my experience, so we'll see, I suppose.

Mejilan said:
My GameStop seems to think it hits tomorrow, together with Street Fighter.
That's not exactly usual for SE games in my experience, so we'll see, I suppose.

Alright I'll have to swing by there tommorrow and check mine out! This game will be what keeps me busy till Alan Wake! :D

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just been playing Nier for a couple of hours and, yeah, this is a solid game.

Its not all super-polished and shiny but its got a nice old-school JRPG feel about it, and a bit of actual "personality" in the story and voice-acting. Killer soundtrack too.

More people need to check this out.

Oyashiro

Alright, 3 and a half hours in now. Just finished the first "dungeon" and did a couple of side quests. Dungeon was horribly boring, but the boss fight was kinda fun. I looove Weiss' voice actor (along with pretty much everyone else so far). Music is pretty good, but definitely nothing "amazing".

Quick question - how do I get new words? Just from defeating new enemies?

Also, my friend just picked this up at Wal Mart. They are apparently selling it early.

Wow, all these positive words of mouth are really convincing me well. I think I'll go buy the game after work. One question though, are the scripts for Replicant mc and Gestalt mc exactly the same except for "save my sister/daughter" changes?

Sacha said:
They are referring to the fact that Nier blends a lot of genres : action-RPG, hack and slash, shooter,
sound novel
, with a lot of side-quests, some puzzles, a bit of platforming and a twist of Zelda and
Resident Evil
. I don't think it's too ambitious because every one of these things is so well implemented, you don't feel like the different gameplay segments are cut off from one another. And there's always a sense of consistency with the place and/or the story. And while the combat system isn't particularly deep, it's specifically what keeps the game fun and diversified. I mean, this game just keeps throwing things at you, it's incredible.
So, this game sounds pretty good, actually. Color me surprised given it's the product of an unholy union between Cavia and Square Enix.

icarus-daedelus said:
So, this game sounds pretty good, actually. Color me surprised given it's the product of an unholy union between Cavia and Square Enix.
Drakengard II says hi then uses its soundtrack to kick your face in.

matmanx1

Gamestop's should definitely be getting this in tomorrow. It was on the SON (Standard Overnight) list for new releases today along with that new Harvest Moon game for the PSP and Agarest War for the 360.

Good, because I just impulse-bought this game after getting its OST and absolutely crying at its beautifulness. I got it for $35 thanks to supersavershipping and a $10 promo code and $5 off the pre-order anyway!

ZephyrFate said:
Drakengard II says hi then uses its soundtrack to kick your face in.
You cannot fool me, for I have played the original Drakengard, and a good soundtrack alone does not a good game make.

Cep said:
The writing for that could be better, but it is the actress that really pulls it off.

Nah, writing is perfect. Kaine is the best char in the game. Even though it's kind of stupid to use her rant as intro sequence of the game. Cool for a trailer but a bad intro.

Also I'm the only one who is not overly impressed with the soundtrack it seems.

icarus-daedelus said:
You cannot fool me, for I have played the original Drakengard, and a good soundtrack alone does not a good game make.
Drakengard II is actually pretty fun if you give it a chance. Good music saved the entire game.

Sacha

Second part of the comic : http://www.niergame.com/downloads/comic/comic_2_US.pdf

Oyashiro said:
Quick question - how do I get new words? Just from defeating new enemies?

I think it depends on the amount of ennemies you kill, but otherwise they just drop on their own, yes.

ULTROS! said:

I hope the sales will be good enough for them not to drop it. :(

But speaking of sales :

SQEX Members Twitter said:
いくつかご質問があるので順次お答えします。まずは、「ニーア」の品切れ状態ですが、PS3版はかなりの入手困難状態です。今週末から改善予定です。X360版は、品薄なところはありますが、まだ入手可能な状態です。よろしくお願いします

Are they saying the game is running out of stock ?

Sacha said:
Yes, the PS3 version is especially hard to find, and they're planning a new shipment this week-end. XBOX version has shortages as well but it is easier to find in stores as of now.

Sacha said:

This is from Friday:

Xbox 360 or PS3 Version: Which Is More Popular?

Beware, spoilers in the comments!

http://kotaku.com/5522788/xbox-360-or-ps3-version-which-is-more-popular

Xbox 360 or PS3 Version: Which Is More Popular? In Japan, role-playing game Nier has been released in two flavors: Nier Replicant for the PS3 and Nier Gestalt for the Xbox 360. Which version do you think is more popular in Japan?

So in Japan, the most popular version is, wait for it, the PS3 version. Shocking!

The difference between the two versions is the character design and the relationship between two characters. Oh, and one version is on a console that not many people in Japan own.

Shinjuku retailer Yodobashi Camera is a good case study:

... Xbox 360 version: The boxes are empty, and customers bring said empty box to the register to purchase the game.

... PS3 version: The game has a small red notice saying that the game is currently out of stock ...

Ignis

Bought this game on release last week and I'm not disappointed the tiniest bit. :D
The soundtrack is as awesome as expected and the game oozes personality.

By the way, I have a sub-quest related question...

(Edit : auto-solved)

matmanx1

InfiniteNine said:
Atari 2600 version.

Lies. I've played that one and it's buried in the desert along with E.T. because it's so bad. What ever you do, DO NOT buy the 2600 version of Nier! Every other version of the game is supposed to be pretty equal though. Hope that helps!:D

I just finished it. Wow. Story and writing shit over FFXIII and any other game I've played in a long time. Something very special.

Now I need to see the other endings and get platinum.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just picked up a 360 copy. So how long would most say the game takes before getting going. 1-2 hours?

A bit more I would say. For me the game got really good in
Facade

I picked this up today and invested two hours into it.

I...love it so far. Good music, good story so far (I actually was really captivated by the beginning area/sequence), nice gameplay surprises along the way.

Very nice surprise.

Top Bottom