• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the Worst - Season 4 - Wednesdays on FXX

UQvbTtn.jpg

Season 4 of You're the Worst starts up Wednesday, September 6th on FXX with the first part of a 2-part premiere.
FXX said:
You're the Worst is a modern look at love and happiness told through the eyes of two people who haven't been very successful with either. It's the story of Gretchen and Jimmy, fear, heartbreak, romance, sex, food, Los Angeles, Sunday Funday, friendship, and the fact that sometimes the worst people make the best partners. An original FXX comedy from writer and executive producer Stephen Falk, You’re the Worst puts a dark twist on the romantic comedy genre.

Narcissistic, brash, and stubborn “Jimmy Shive-Overly” (Chris Geere) has inadvertently found himself paired up with cynical, people-pleasing, and self-destructive “Gretchen Cutler” (Aya Cash). After a whirlwind courtship, and a very rough post-cohabitation period of dealing with Gretchen’s clinical depression, Jimmy and Gretchen were forced to learn how to manage a relationship in the face of tragedy when Jimmy's father unexpectedly died. Ultimately, drawn closer, Jimmy proposed and then suddenly disappeared when confronted with the notion that Gretchen would be his family. Now broken up, and involved with other people, both struggle to move on while constantly being pulled back toward one another.

Rounding out the cast is Desmin Borges, who plays “Edgar Quintero,” Jimmy’s once homeless war veteran roommate who, having recently learned to manage his PTSD, has gotten a new job and is navigating the world of television comedy writing; and Kether Donohue plays “Lindsay Jillian,” Gretchen’s best friend and former partner in crime who is recently divorced and taking her first steps toward life as a single, professional woman.
Videos:
A couple reviews and other stuff:
  • Indiewire: ‘You’re the Worst’ Review: Season 4 Transcends Romantic-Comedies with an Invigorating New Beginning
    Through their physical separation and independent performances, Cash and Geere help “You’re the Worst” become more of a black comedy than a romantic comedy in Season 4. It’s a study of fragility and insecurity from two people who act as if such things don’t exist — not for them. Not these two tough, hard-hearted lugs. Fiercely independent minds aren’t easily swayed, and Falk is patient in drawing each character out of their shells, but efficiently injects laughs while doing so.

It’s a perfect pace for a series that’s starting over. The bomb detonated at the end of Season 3 is still spraying shrapnel at all four parties, and what’s left if or when it’s done inflicting harm makes for an enticing, unpredictable adventure. Hollywood dictates that you’re not supposed to spoil a happy ending, so what comes after a proposal gone wrong? “You’re the Worst” makes you want to find out.

Grade: A-
  • SF Chronicle: Road to love is bumpy and funny in ‘Worst’
    The point of the series remains the same, whether we’re talking about Gretchen and Jimmy or any of their friends: Love may be messy, but it’s fundamental in any relationship.

That said, Lindsay, Becca and Jimmy’s friend Edgar (Desmin Borges) aren’t just hanging around to provide counterpoint to the central characters’ relationship: “You’re the Worst” is very much an ensemble show. The supporting characters are written with as much attention to detail as the main characters, and the performances are just as winning, especially those of Borges and Donohue.

“You’re the Worst” may feel like another example of snappy, snarky “new” sitcoms like “Difficult People” and “Casual,” but beneath its crisp dialogue beats the indefatigable heart of an old-fashioned romantic comedy.
  • Salon: “What is happy?” Salon talks to the cast and creator of FXX’s “You’re the Worst”
  • The Watch w/ Andy Greenwald: 'You’re the Worst' Star Aya Cash on Her Complicated Relationship With L.A. and Branching Out Within the Industry

KNGXsdN.jpg

This show can be pretty uneven, but it's always interesting. After the way last season ended, I'm somewhat anxious to see what happens.

That's a pretty darn good OP for something quickly whipped together, btw, CB...!

Oh shit. I thought for sure the season would begin basically right where this last one ended, with those two drawing out a crazy argument over a couple episodes over Jimmy's bullshit before reluctantly trying again.

But they're legitimately broken up as Episode 1 starts, huh?

I really love this show.

(I really hope to Christ Lindsay and Edgar do not end up together. Honestly, I hope Edgar finds a way the fuck outta there entirely)

Strike

Currently one of my favorite shows on TV. I'm glad it's back and I can't wait to see where they end up taking these characters.

G0523

I can't believe it's back so soon! I'm excited to see how this new dynamic will shape this season. I expect lots of craziness to come from Jimmy and Gretchen.

That's a pretty darn good OP for something quickly whipped together, btw, CB...!
I shotgunned some trash juice and knocked it out in under 10 minutes.

XMiZag3.gif

(I really hope to Christ Lindsay and Edgar do not end up together. Honestly, I hope Edgar finds a way the fuck outta there entirely)
He needs to escape their orbit at some point. It's difficult to watch them heap abuse on him all the time.

JWiLL

Banned
Feels like a really long time since season 3 ended - damn am I happy it's back. Easily one of the best shows of the last few years.

I haven't watched any of the trailers yet, will gladly go in blind for the first episode tomorrow.

- LA Daily News review
“You’re the Worst” has always been in danger of growing too hip or too stale. So far the series has kept changing enough to avoid that. The early episodes of season four show promise. It seems some reckoning is on the way, but it could also signal the beginning of the end.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I absolutely loved season one, liked but didn't love season two, and found myself almost completely disenchanted with the series by the end of season three. The show has grown stale, predictable, and unbearably grating at this point, so hopefully this "reboot" of sorts will be the jolt the series needs.

MTE. Good work Cornballer!

Apparently I missed the memo and it's actually both Part 1 and Part 2 of the premiere tomorrow night. It's scheduled for an hourlong time slot.

i wonder how many episodes we'll get with gretchen and jimmy still apart

at least two, right?

I'd say 2-3, yeah.

But this is probably my favorite TV show, period. It's massively underrated, and I just binged s3 (thanks, Hulu!) last week: I really don't think it gets stale.

Count me as the founding member of Team Edgar, at least. And Lindsay is, by far, the worst character on the show. It's not even close. Gretchen and Jimmy are assholes, but they ultimately do the right thing, usually. Lindsay, though...

1 hour season premiere tonight:
It's Been

After proposing to Gretchen and immediately abandoning her on a hilltop, Jimmy has gone into hiding in the middle of nowhere in an attempt to escape reality. Reality does not comply. Meanwhile, Gretchen takes the first baby steps toward reconstructing her life as Edgar and Lindsay struggle to find normalcy in their new post-Jimmy/Gretchen world.

Strike

Second episode was better. Edgar and Lindsay doing impressions of Jimmy and Gretchen was a highlight for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"Jaden Smith's retirement party"

lol

Overall I thought the premiere was pretty good. I doubt they go too long before returning to the status quo, but ideally it'd be delayed until the very end of the season.

LotusHD

Banned
Great episodes, namely the 2nd one. God Ava Cash is such a good actress. And yea, best part was pretty much everything to do with Edgar and Lindsay, I loved when it slowly dawned on them that they're the "serious" ones now. Also good on him for getting to the point where he can be FWBs with her without getting attached. Hopefully that lasts.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That was so good. That first 20 minutes was really bizarre. When Gretchen started singing that Barenaked Ladies song I was rolling.

- Business Insider interview: We talked to the creator of ‘You’re the Worst’ about how to make a delightful show about terrible people
Wittmer: All of the characters are very flawed, but so lovable. Is that something you've worked to do, or is that something that just happened?

Falk: I mean, I think it just kind of happened. If you look at the pilot, I wrote the characters how they are. They're narcissistic dicks. And they're the kind of people I liked watching on British sitcoms, or as a fifth player in an ensemble, but not really the central figure. And obviously there's a lot of landmines when you do something like that. You really have to cast it right or no matter how much you try to lure them back, they're just going to be unlikable because the actor isn't inherently likable. So I had to make sure I cast people that were inherently likable. And then more than that, just be careful not to write the character's behavior in ways that it is apparent that I as a creator think it's awesome and cool. That’s been stepped on before, where writers are just like, "Yeah my character is a f---ing badass and they don't give a shit!"

TripOpt55

Good premiere. Got an episode that focused on each Jimmy and Gretchen post-finale and both one of the series single-character focused episodes and one of the more group-related ones. Worked as a good one-two punch I think. Glad they aired them both together. The second episode was much funnier. I really liked the Jimmy/Gretchen impressions and Gretchen's dinosaur mural! Lots of other funny stuff. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Hahaha soooooo many good jokes and a nice opening.

I loved how Gretchen basically just attacked her with The Barenaked Ladies.

"But work is for the day"

New Lindsey was fun to see, even if she still does old Lindsey stuff like eating co-workers food.

Do they really call S'mores fluffergrams in England?

sammex

"But work is for the day"

New Lindsey was fun to see, even if she still does old Lindsey stuff like eating co-workers food.

Do they really call S'mores fluffergrams in England?

Haha, no. They don't exist here. Roast marshmallows on a stick and eat them straight, normally whilst burning your mouth.

I find the stuff with Gretchen so hard to watch.

Top Bottom