• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the Worst - Season 3 - Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

Thought that was a really fun episode. Loved seeing Jimmy slowly get into the concept and eventually being really impressed with the puzzles. The part with them inside the family's house was hysterical. Loved the Beetlejuice line. Gretchen and Lindsey fighting was funny. And I thought this built nicely on the last episode in regards to Edgar's plot.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Solid episode. The Lindsay and Paul situation is such a disaster. That child is going to be fucked.

I had to laugh at all the "Brick" mentions. I thought Ben Folds wanting to go to Big Wangs for drinks was a pretty odd choice. Of all LA's drinking options, he opts for an LA sports bar chain?

kevin1025

Banned
Another fantastic episode. They're really killing it this year!

More classic heckles came into play, though only Vernon gave it the respect it deserved. And Gretchen's new client was awesome, and delivered on his pork shoulder promise.

Scribble

Episode 5 was great. That was REAL. I love this show. I don't know what happened in Episode 8 because the 'British' aspect of the show is awful. I think the actor that plays Jimmy is a decent actor and I want to get the character but I think that element takes me out of it.

Quick

Banned
I binged through seasons 1 and 2 earlier this year, and held off on season 3 until I had a decent amount of episodes to watch back-to-back, or on my own pace. Now I'm all caught up.

While Jimmy and Gretchen have always had their cartoony moments, there are times when this was dialed up a bit more this season.

On the flip side, episode 5 was brilliant with Edgar and his shitty day dealing with PTSD. That's some fantastic writing. Especially brilliant was how it was set during the same day as episode 4. The breakfast table conversation seen in different perspectives was fantastic work.

Since Jimmy's dad died, the show was clearly building up to some sort of breakdown for him. It's almost like we're still climbing to the peak of this. Sort of how shit got real last season with Gretchen's depression at the latter half of the season.

New episode tonight:
Genetically Inferior Beta Males

Gretchen parents her friends with mixed results. Jimmy does Vernon's podcast. Edgar embarks on an alternative therapy. Lindsay pushes Paul too far.
Lots of potentially fun plot lines tonight.

Dan

Funny, but continuing with the characters being relatively cartoonish. I hope Lindsay pulls the trigger and ends this charade of a relationship.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't really love it when the characters behave so cartoonishly - it completely takes me out of it when, for instance, Jimmy doesn't know what fetch is. Of course, they're not always like this, but I feel like the characters have gotten progressively worse in this regard as the series has gone on.

mm04

I don't really love it when the characters behave so cartoonishly - it completely takes me out of it when, for instance, Jimmy doesn't know what fetch is. Of course, they're not always like this, but I feel like the characters have gotten progressively worse in this regard as the series has gone on.

Yeah, I used to love this show. Then last night, I was catching up on my shows and about 15 minutes into this one, I was spending more time on my phone than really caring about what's going on in the episode. Maybe I'll catch up with the show at a later date, but I'm done being a regular viewer of this. I just don't enjoy it more often than not at this point.

Quick

Banned
Caught up on last week's episode.

Holy shit at the cucking. I don't say it often, but...cringe.

It's almost amazing that Gretchen continuously squandering her opportunities to speak with her therapist culminates in her finally opening up about her depression at a board game cafe/bar.

This might be the first episode where Jimmy doesn't outright shit on people. lol

The podcast scene was amazing. Vernon continues to be my lowkey favourite supporting character.

That line about the guest shower being clogged with Vernon's hair is pretty fucking sad when you let it sink in. I'm curious to see a solo Vernon episode like Gretchen's and Edgar's.

Weird question, but I'm watching this on FX's site. Was there a hard cut to the road flair in the middle of Vernon's "Nice job, f--"? Like it cut off what he was going to say? Seemed like the player was glitching out so I was wondering.

Dan

Weird question, but I'm watching this on FX's site. Was there a hard cut to the road flair in the middle of Vernon's "Nice job, f--"? Like it cut off what he was going to say? Seemed like the player was glitching out so I was wondering.
That was present on cable for me.

TripOpt55

I love the little callbacks to old episodes like the host on the radio this week and the DVD rental kiosk in another recent one. This show always includes some nice details like that.

This was a pretty neat episode. Not a huge fan of Paul, but I still thought these two worked off each other well. Vernon is a lot of fun. I like that this show isn't afraid to try some different things every once and a while by either honing in on a character (or two in this case) or doing what they did with "LCD Soundsystem" last year. I did miss the main duo this week, but for a week that is cool. I'd certainly watch one next season focused on the rappers if they wanted to try that.

Anyway, good episode. While I agree about some of the cartoonish behavior complaints that have been voiced in here, this show remains one of the shows I watch as soon as possible each week. I still love it.

New episode tonight:
Talking To Me, Talking To Me

Jimmy builds a tree house. Gretchen accompanies Lindsay during a potentially emotional event. Edgar's professional life flourishes to Dorothy's dismay.
This is episode #10, so we have four left including tonight's installment.

I know the reviews weren't great for last week's episode, but I really liked it. Pauls song and what they did with the fire had me rolling.

Dan

I bet John Landgraf enjoyed the gag about Waze getting into the TV business.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh, I was looking forward to seeing Lindsay become a mom. Now it feels as though they've reset her character back to where she was at near the end of season 2. :/

Strike

Eh, I was looking forward to seeing Lindsay become a mom. Now it feels as though they've reset her character back to where she was at near the end of season 2. :/
I feel the opposite. Watching her and Paul get back together and try to make it work was like watching a car accident in slow motion. She's not really a whole person, their marriage was still a sham, and a kid was never going to fix that. Her struggling with independence and trying to find an identity was a much better direction for her growth as a character imo. It was kind of weird how she made that decision in between the episodes though. I did not picture things culminating that way. Paul still seems to be in the dark about it so it'll be interesting to see how he takes that news.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Watching her and Paul get back together and try to make it work was like watching a car accident in slow motion.

That's like the whole show!

She's not really a whole person, their marriage was still a sham, and a kid was never going to fix that.

Which is what would have made it so great!

Her struggling with independence and trying to find an identity was a much better direction for her growth as a character imo.

The writers have already taken her character in that direction though is what I'm saying.

beat

The writers have already taken her character in that direction though is what I'm saying.
But they didn't go that far with it before this Paul thing took her on a giant detour. But I don't mind that, a show like this is about the journey and I'm happy for them to take the scenic route.

Dorothy's plot just crushed me.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Don't particularly like Lindsays whole "Me have smarts!" thing, but that scene where she narrates her thoughts in real time was perfect.

Taruranto

"Did you know that the thing that your parent did to you as a kid can influence you as an adult?"

"Wait, You mean, like time travler?"

Linday...

Linday barely functions as a person, let alone as a wife and a mother. The kid would have turned out worse than Gretchen and Jimmy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But they didn't go that far with it before this Paul thing took her on a giant detour. But I don't mind that, a show like this is about the journey and I'm happy for them to take the scenic route.

Wasn't it like the entirety of her season two storyline?

Linday barely functions as a person, let alone as a wife and a mother. The kid would have turned out worse than Gretchen and Jimmy.

Exactly! I would have been great to see that play out. >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom