• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

keraj37

This is the popup I got today on youtube.
I will not pay premium, and I will not be forced to watch adds, so good bye youtube, was good knowing you!
EiuTqbT.jpg

EDIT:
new thing out of the bush
6bz5QfM.jpg

Last edited:
I paid for the premium because 98% of the video content I watch comes from there. Only reason I hang on to Netflix is for the kids.
I think I've had premium for about 2 years, I can only imagine how much worse the ads are now, they were already insufferable back then.

I feel like I get my money's worth out of it, besides the kids I hadn't used any of my streaming services in forever. I was paying like $50 a month for service nobody was using.

lol, the first thing my teenage daughter did when she started working was get herself youtube premium.

Trunx81

I paid for the premium because 98% of the video content I watch comes from there. Only reason I hang on to Netflix is for the kids.
I think I've had premium for about 2 years, I can only imagine how much worse the ads are now, they were already insufferable back then.

I feel like I get my money's worth out of it, besides the kids I hadn't used any of my streaming services in forever. I was paying like $50 a month for service nobody was using.

lol, the first thing my teenage daughter did when she started working was get herself youtube premium.
Same. And if you book Premium in another country, like India, it’s a lot cheaper. My daughter loves her YT-Videos and some adds definitely don’t target minors ..

mortal

Gold Member
YouTube Premium is the only streaming subscription I pay for atm. I use it for tutorials, for news, and entertainment.
I hate that they've recently raised the price, but the background play feature and not having to deal with constant ads are worth it for me, at least for the time being.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
YouTube Premium is the only streaming subscription I pay for atm. I use it for tutorials, for news, and entertainment.
I hate that they've recently raised the price, but the background play feature and not having to deal with constant ads are worth it for me, at least for the time being.
Same. I especially hate all of the political ads around elections seasons. So, I'll pay the13 bucks or whatever it is not to see them.

YouTube is trash.

Their business model is to show people so many ads to force subscription to a service that’ll be $60 a month for a family one day.

Their entire company is trash because all they do is make things worse by strongarming and exploiting everyone and everything. It’s like they are massive pegging rapists or something.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its just such a slippery slope with these fuckers.

If they said "oh ya pay X per month to remove ads". I may consider it. But as more and more people sign up then, surprise, now they will raise the price to X+3 or whatever. So I prefer not even to start with that shit. SmartTubeNext for the NVIDIA Shield on my TV and Adblock Plus on my computers.

justonething

Jada's BFF
It's pretty hilarious to hear in this thread people are actually paying for youtube. Any creator worth their shit has several other means of monetization. NO ONE should rely on youtube's drip fed ad revenue. They can and do pull the revenue plug whenever they feel uncomfortable with you. Ad rev should be seen as just a small bonus. Don't pay greedy youtube middleman, support the creators directly and continue blocking those ads.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Google and Youtube already make billions by stealing user metadata and selling it to anyone they can.
This is something that even Google has acknowledged, that users don't pay for their services with money, but with their privacy and data.
So charging this fee, is just double dipping.

winjer

Gold Member
And the worst part is that Google has little to no curation for their ads.
Just recently there were several cases of ads served by Google, on their search engine, were actual malware links.
Hackers were able to just buy ad space on Google, that directed users to viruses.

It's so bad, that even the FBI and other international agencies, recommend users to use adblockers as a safety measure.

Rayderism

Hmm....so far, Ad Block Plus through Firefox is still working on YT. At least it is for me.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Despite all the gloom and doom around this subject I've had no problems on youtube when viewing on Firefox.
Twitch on the other hand is a problem unless I'm subbed to a particular streamer (so... 1 at the moment), as my browser hiccups on twitch's ad banner telling me that an ad is playing for the next 30 seconds, which itself usually freezes in place. Obviously they want me to sub or turn off my blocker but really all it's done is disincentivize me from trying out new channels.

LordOfChaos

Game over if they block adblockers. And sponsorblock, also indispensable. I hope they can work around it.

Seems like we're just going to get funneled into Premium otherwise because the amount of ads has become insufferable.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is the trend in tech for virtually every platform or service.

1. Start by offering a service that is free for everyone and works great.

2. Once it becomes popular, start either removing those features and hiding them behind a pay only version or make the experience absolutely insufferable and tell consumers if they want it to be good again, you need to pay.

3. Once people start paying just to stop the annoyances, gradually increase the price every so often to where eventually you realize you're now paying close to double for something you originally didn't pay anything at all for.

It's the dirtiest tactic going. I'd pay for YT if they offered something great. Like free movies with YT Premium. Or free TV series with Premium. But you're essentially paying a monthly fee to stop ads and download videos to watch offline.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would be perfectly ok with any ads before or during a video if the censorship wasn't so fucking shit and didn't made everything so sanitized.

I swear people are afraid of everything to not get demonitized, and sometimes they still get fucked anyway.

Cursing
Saying words like suicide or other "offensive" words
Showing guns or blood or talking about violence
You can't say that a chick is fucking ugly or a dude act too gayish
So much else

But hey, you can find a lot of video of 2 dudes literally buttfucking each others...

Yt turned into an absolute turd and they are still relevant because lazy fucks like me can't find alternative or even looked for it.

Last edited:
I would be perfectly ok with any ads before or during a video if the censorship wasn't so fucking shit and didn't made everything so sanitized.

I swear people are afraid of everything to not get demonitized, and sometimes they still get fucked anyway.

Cursing
Saying words like suicide or other "offensive" words
Showing guns or blood or talking about violence
You can't say that a chick is fucking ugly or a dude act too gayish
So much else

But hey, you can find a lot of video of 2 dudes literally buttfucking each others...

Yt turned into an absolute turd and they are still relevant because lazy fucks like me can't find alternative or even looked for it.

What alternative is there?

Whitecrow

Banned
I spend half my life on youtube. Deserve some of my cents.
Well. I didnt pay premium until I needed it running in the background on my phone.

Mistake

Its just such a slippery slope with these fuckers.

If they said "oh ya pay X per month to remove ads". I may consider it. But as more and more people sign up then, surprise, now they will raise the price to X+3 or whatever. So I prefer not even to start with that shit. SmartTubeNext for the NVIDIA Shield on my TV and Adblock Plus on my computers.
Not only that, but you get a worse experience than if you pirate or do things yourself. I recently read an issue where YT premium needs you to connect to the internet to play offline content. It's ridiculous. I just use brave and save videos for later instead

Dural

Yep, I've had family premium for 5+ years now and there's no way I'd ever go back. All my kids and my wife each have their own accounts so I don't have to have their crap screwing up my recommended list. Plus Youtube Music is pretty great, me and my wife both use it in the car rather than paying for SiriusXM. I also have sponsorblockcast running on my home server to auto skip the in video sponsors.

Hudo

Luckily, I have yet to experience Youtube blocking me because of my adblocker. If that really starts to happen, I'll probably watch fewer videos (or another technical solution will emerge to circumvent adblock-blocking). I will certainly not subject myself to an adblocker-free Youtube experience because it's fucking shit. You've got multple ads at the start of the video and then regularly inbetween. It's so aggressive and annoying that I'd rather not watch anything if there's no way to block that shit.

Last edited:

Susurrus

I always find it funny when people think that a business cares when someone that isn't providing a source of revenue (via ads/payment) stops using their service. You really think they care if freeloaders don't use their service?

This is the same people that "boycott" websites because they won't let you visit them without adblocker or people that "boycott" Netflix because they don't get to use their buddy's password. You are not a revenue stream for them, they are not going to miss you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom