• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This is the trend in tech for virtually every platform or service.

1. Start by offering a service that is free for everyone and works great.

2. Once it becomes popular, start either removing those features and hiding them behind a pay only version or make the experience absolutely insufferable and tell consumers if they want it to be good again, you need to pay.

3. Once people start paying just to stop the annoyances, gradually increase the price every so often to where eventually you realize you're now paying close to double for something you originally didn't pay anything at all for.

It's the dirtiest tactic going. I'd pay for YT if they offered something great. Like free movies with YT Premium. Or free TV series with Premium. But you're essentially paying a monthly fee to stop ads and download videos to watch offline.

People have told me that everyone is a freeloader, a cheapskate and that they're not gonna miss "us", amirite ?

Raonak

Banned
Honestly, for me, my YT premium is way more useful than any other subscription service.

I use youtube constantly, for general videos and a spotify replacement.
can't imagine having to deal with ads on desktop or phone.

Last edited:
Fuck man we really need some competition for this sad sack of fucking shit called YouTube.

Is there any other alternative out there?
LOL you just need to find someone who's willing to pay $5 billion a year* to run a video streaming service that people view for free. Because that's what Google is doing.

*Estimated as of 2019. It's most certainly more expensive today than that.

Boss Mog

Youtube is really obnoxious with the ads. If you're watching a 30 minute video there will be ads like every 5 minutes and they will cut right into the video even if it's mid sentence. Fuck that!

On android there's an app called NewPipe to serve as a Youtube app replacement. Let's you access Youtube without ads. It's obviously not on the Play Store so you gotta download the .apk and install it manually.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This is the popup I got today on youtube.
I will not pay premium, and I will not be forced to watch adds, so good bye youtube, was good knowing you!
EiuTqbT.jpg
So you want stuff for free but are unwilling to watch ads to have free content? Bye I guess.

Cyberpunkd

I always find it funny when people think that a business cares when someone that isn't providing a source of revenue (via ads/payment) stops using their service. You really think they care if freeloaders don't use their service?

This is the same people that "boycott" websites because they won't let you visit them without adblocker or people that "boycott" Netflix because they don't get to use their buddy's password. You are not a revenue stream for them, they are not going to miss you.
One and done. The OP’s outrage is hilarious: “I was not paying, I’m not going to pay, I will take my business elsewhere”.

What business? Is this a new spin of “work for exposure”?

I always find it funny when people think that a business cares when someone that isn't providing a source of revenue (via ads/payment) stops using their service. You really think they care if freeloaders don't use their service?

This is the same people that "boycott" websites because they won't let you visit them without adblocker or people that "boycott" Netflix because they don't get to use their buddy's password. You are not a revenue stream for them, they are not going to miss you.
No because there are always sheep that follow the flock and say: okay I'll pay. The problem isn't the ads, its the amount of ads they throw at you to make it insufferable so they annoy you enough that you go sheep mode and pay.

Last edited:
What alternative is there?
Lets Go Start GIF

Seriously though, the more your favorite creators mirror their content to that platform, the better we'll all be. I'm pretty sure they pay creators more than you tube, they're not censorship happy, and they don't act like self-appointed judge and jury by demonetizing people who haven't broken any terms of service because they were anonymously accused of a crime. Guilty until proven innocent doesn't work for me, and it shouldn't be acceptable to anyone.

It's also absurd timing for you tube to be squeezing their users like this, considering the monopolization accusations being made against them right now, along with some pretty shady ad practices.

Last edited:

nkarafo

So you want stuff for free but are unwilling to watch ads to have free content? Bye I guess.

This is not a reasonable way to run ads. They are too many, appear too often and they are too disruptive.

You think people are just cheap but that's not the case. Personally, i didn't use an ad blocker before it got too bad. I had a somewhat obsolete CPU in 2010ish and when ads start being more fancy and animated bloated flash trash, my PC would crawl. I could hardly use it while the ad was on screen. For what, a stupid animated ad banner? Fuck that. I didn't have issues with ads before that but that crossed the line for me. With Youtube today, it's the same principle. The ads are designed to be disruptive, in order to force premium subs. They made free viewing unreasonably useless on purpose.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Not "unreasonably", exactly in order to make you buy a Premium sub.
No, it's useless. And if they were honest about it they could just disable free viewing completely and make it a paying app, just like every other streaming service. Now that would be the best method to combat ad blockers and help people decide what they really want to do once and for all. As it is now, they will only increase the demand for better ad-blockers. And they will get better, don't worry about that.

Last edited:

Tams

Eh.

I pay for what I care for and think is of good quality.

YouTube is the lowest form of video entertainment. Even most of the good YouTube stuff is not up to the quality of other services.

Netflix is just full of shit.

Phobos Base

I find YT Premium worth the money. I can't use adblock on my TV, which is where I watch most of it, and when I'm driving or in the office I can listen to YT music. Being able to play audio through your phone with the screen off is really handy as well.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Eh.

I pay for what I care for and think is of good quality.

YouTube is the lowest form of video entertainment. Even most of the good YouTube stuff is not up to the quality of other services.

Netflix is just full of shit.

You know what ? I agree.

- friggin stupid clickbait faces "culture" originated from YT

- Everyone and their grandmas being able to put "content"

- Dubious people putting "content" while acting like some sort of authority

- ASMR thots in suggestive clothing licking microphones (although it's even worse.on twitch)

- Attention whoring videos

- Opinionists everywhere

...and so on so forth.

And yet, unfortunately, it's still the 1st platform that someone visits for hardware tips/troubleshooting, media news, VG news/updates, comparisons etc etc.

It's a double edged sword really and you have to take the good alongside the (very) bad.

And yet (pt.2), I still couldn't justify paying for it, it's all so...low quality and trashy.

I'd have no problem whatsoever paying for something like HBO but YouTube ? no fucking way.

The fact that i'm an old fart and experienced YT for free back in the day doesn't help either.

Again, I could justify SOME ads but...this new "3 ads before a video even starts and 3-4 others in-between a video" is not only not the answer to this problem but it's also insufferable.

This comes from a guy that has cut TV for more than 10 years now, there's just no way I'd be able to watch an hour and a half movie turned into a 2.5 hour one due to all the ads, I don't know how people can deal with it nowadays.

Last edited:

Tams

You know what ? I agree.

- friggin stupid clickbait faces "culture" originated from YT

- Everyone and their grandmas being able to put "content"

- Dubious people putting "content" while acting like some sort of authority

- ASMR thots in suggestive clothing licking microphones (although it's even worse.on twitch)

- Attention whoring videos

- Opinionists everywhere

...and so on so forth.

And yet, unfortunately, it's still the 1st platform that someone visits for hardware tips/troubleshooting, media news, VG news/updates, comparisons etc etc.

It's a double edged sword really and you have to take the good alongside the (very) bad.

And yet (pt.2), I still couldn't justify paying for it, it's all so...low quality and trashy.

I'd have no problem whatsoever paying for something like HBO but YouTube ? no fucking way.

The fact that i'm an old fart and experienced YT for free back in the day doesn't help either.

Again, I could justify SOME ads but...this new "3 ads before a video even starts and 3-4 others in-between a video" is not only not the answer to this problem but it's also insufferable.

This comes from a guy that has cut TV for more than 10 years now, there's just no way I'd be able to watch an hour and a half movie turned into a 2.5 hour one due to all the ads, I don't know how people can deal with it nowadays.

Oh, there's some good stuf on YouTube for sure.

But it's not that common.

Too much Mr Beast, MrWhiseTheBoss, MKBHD, shite.

Zathalus

Got premium a few years back. Really satisfied with it, don't have to worry about ads on any of my devices (phones, TV, PC) and it works for my entire family. Comes with YT music as well which is great.

keraj37

For all wondering, the uBlock Origin on my FF deals with this popup, so for now I am still freeloader on yt.
Thanks, winjer winjer and U Unknown Soldier for recommendation.
Before I was using two ads blockers one was AdBlock ultimate and the second was just YouTube ad blocker, or whatever the name was it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I remember socializing on YouTube I don’t even know if people connect on YouTube channels anymore, at some point they have to remove the ads because they’ll lose people fast.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
One and done. The OP’s outrage is hilarious: “I was not paying, I’m not going to pay, I will take my business elsewhere”.

What business? Is this a new spin of “work for exposure”?

I understand the point of "if you dont like it dont use it" but lets not be naive. A user of Youtube is giving revenue to Google. So you are "business" just by using the site, they are making money off you by selling ads to comapnies to show you, by selling your data etc. So yes a regular user of Youtube is "business" for them.

keraj37

I understand the point of "if you dont like it dont use it" but lets not be naive. A user of Youtube is giving revenue to Google. So you are "business" just by using the site, they are making money off you by selling ads to comapnies to show you, by selling your data etc. So yes a regular user of Youtube is "business" for them.
On top of that, youtube before google was totally free with ads completely bearable. It is hard to go from free service to premium just to get rid of stupid and artificial inconvenience of ads.

On top of that, youtube before google was totally free with ads completely bearable. It is hard to go from free service to premium just to get rid of stupid and artificial inconvenience of ads.

Exactly, where’s the value at? The key couple of things that people like about premium is something that was already around before google paywalled those features. The YouTube music inclusion is the only legit value add that people mention.

No ads aren’t legit because Google is trying with great intent to force subscriptions by making their service extremely unbearable without that key paywalled feature.

I am not your bitch google, you don’t get to do that to me. It angers me that they do that, and I am not paying out of spite, and I will block their ads.

Spyxos

Could google eventually ban people who use adblockers? After all, we have no alternatives. And they have all the leverage.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Could google eventually ban people who use adblockers? After all, we have no alternatives. And they have all the leverage.
Youtube still works when you're logged out, so what good would banning you do? Nagging you is probably their best option.

Spyxos

Youtube still works when you're logged out, so what good would banning you do? Nagging you is probably their best option.
I have about 300 subscriptions on youtube and many playlists. In addition, about 200 euros in google play points. But it's true, I forgot that you can also use youtube without logging in. Only you lose a lot without the channels you have already subscribed to.

VulcanRaven

I can just click don't show this ad on the TV app. It takes few seconds and works most of the time.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I paid for the premium because 98% of the video content I watch comes from there. Only reason I hang on to Netflix is for the kids.
I think I've had premium for about 2 years, I can only imagine how much worse the ads are now, they were already insufferable back then.

I feel like I get my money's worth out of it, besides the kids I hadn't used any of my streaming services in forever. I was paying like $50 a month for service nobody was using.

lol, the first thing my teenage daughter did when she started working was get herself youtube premium.

I've also been going on about two years of premium as well. With the amount of music and video content my family listens/watches, it was a no brainer.
We are getting our money's worth. And what's nice is that because we have the family plan, everyone can use the premium whether it be on their phones or pc/watching through
the PS5 console. And Youtube recently threw us a bone with their "enhanced bit rate 1080p" setting for premium users.

We cut the cable many, many years ago and basically do Netflix, Hulu, Youtube Premium and Amazon Prime. Our two sons chip in for the services as well since they use them
more than my wife and I.

I'm afraid with the actors strike most likely ending soon, they're gonna get PAID and it's why Netflix has already announced another increase in sub prices. It'll be interesting to see
if Hulu, Youtube and Amazon also follow suit and raise rates again.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm blown away people actually wqtch youtubers.

My youtube usage is I need a tutorial for something so its a one time use. I use Spotify for music so don't use music. I sometimes Google something and if there is a video result I may check out one or two. I might watch a fails compilation if I'm bored out of my head. I find it hard to believe so many people use it as a proper service. It's wild to me.

Muffdraul

I'm an old dragon who sleeps on a big pile of gold coins, so I signed up for premium years ago just because it was so annoying to have to put up with ads when I'm trying to use 'unintentional ASMR' vids on my phone to fall asleep.

Melon Husk

Ads that are shown above, below or on the sides the video: great.
Ads that are shown as an annoying small yellow one-line text popup inside the video player: meh.
Ads that are shown before the video plays, or breaking up the video into ad breaks, and cannot be skipped: no thanks, I'm not watching it.

Last edited:
That is a very slippery slope that all ad-dependent companies are very wary to slide down. Antitrust action from world governments would follow very quickly if they suddenly decided to ban the 30%+ of users who use ad blockers

Google has been trying to neuter the effectiveness of ad blockers by switching to the Manifest 3 extension framework for Chromium but that has been delayed again and again because Google fears the backlash that will result once it's implemented and ad blockers stop working for some mysterious reason. They fear antitrust action more than they fear customers

Last edited:

RavageX

Not paying for any of that bs. Youtube is for tutorials on how to fix something or the random quick interview. The only channels i do bother with are Nintendo, Playstation, and some guys (excellent)collection of old school Japanese wrestling(I need to download it all before something happens). I dont even check out reviews anymore 'cause most ppls opinions these days are bought or simply not worth a damn.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm an old dragon who sleeps on a big pile of gold coins, so I signed up for premium years ago just because it was so annoying to have to put up with ads when I'm trying to use 'unintentional ASMR' vids on my phone to fall asleep.
I've been using YouTube Premium for about a couple years and I also do the "unintentional ASMR" videos to help me sleep at night.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My youtube usage is I need a tutorial for something so its a one time use. I use Spotify for music so don't use music. I sometimes Google something and if there is a video result I may check out one or two. I might watch a fails compilation if I'm bored out of my head. I find it hard to believe so many people use it as a proper service. It's wild to me.
Throttle House
Top Gear
Hagerty
Engineering Explained
Etc..

Are well done high production and entertaining content if you're into cars and car culture.

Kilau

How else am I supposed to know why I’m mad at Disney?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
My Ad Blocker has either already caught up to the idiotic change or it just hasn't hit my region yet.

Top Bottom